UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Curs and Feists > Pup not very excited about caged coon...
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
mike berger
UKC Forum Member

Pup not very excited about caged coon...

I exposed my 10 month old Kemmer to a caged coon,he barked at it a little, didn't want to get to close to the cage,I released the coon and pup chased it 50 yards and up a tree. Pup reared up against tree, looked up and then wandered away. I expected him to get a little more excited about the process. He just acted 'ho-hum' about everything. Is this normal? Jeez, a mutt from the pound would have got more excited than he did. His bloodlines are heavy Blondy 3....

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-10-2019 11:24 PM
mike berger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mike berger Click here to Send mike berger a Private Message Find more posts by mike berger Add mike berger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tn russ
UKC Forum Member

Ive had finished dogs that was scared of a caged coon. Also had pups chase game up a tree and never tree and then go and tree a scent track on tree. I wouldn't worry much about cages or anything else they see.

Old Post 05-11-2019 01:43 AM
tn russ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tn russ Click here to Send tn russ a Private Message Click Here to Email tn russ Find more posts by tn russ Add tn russ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mike berger
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for the info.

Old Post 05-11-2019 05:16 AM
mike berger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mike berger Click here to Send mike berger a Private Message Find more posts by mike berger Add mike berger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jehulayne
UKC Forum Member

One of the best English hounds I ever had the pleasure of walking behind couldn’t care less about a caged Coon...

Old Post 05-29-2020 03:16 AM
jehulayne is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jehulayne Click here to Send jehulayne a Private Message Click Here to Email jehulayne Find more posts by jehulayne Add jehulayne to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mike berger
UKC Forum Member

I let him bark at it a few minutes then released it, let it run about 20 yards and then released my dog who then chased it about 50 yards and up a tree, he barked 1-2 times and lost interest. I gave the dog to a guy who hunts lion, bear, bobcat and fox and after a period of time hunting 5 days a week the guy said he was a cull. Even with the hounds starting and moving the track this Kemmer couldnt make it to a tree.

Old Post 05-29-2020 09:06 PM
nccatfisher
UKC Forum Member

Dog may be smarter than the people that are trying to trick him with caged game.

https://sites.google.com/site/riverroadkennel/

Old Post 05-30-2020 01:49 AM
nccatfisher is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nccatfisher Click here to Send nccatfisher a Private Message Click Here to Email nccatfisher Visit nccatfisher's homepage! Find more posts by nccatfisher Add nccatfisher to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mike berger
UKC Forum Member

"There are none so blind"...

Old Post 05-30-2020 01:15 PM
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

Remember, you should not be showing them a caged coon to "teach" them anything... you are only doing it to find out if that switch has clicked, and they are ready for the next step.

The dog is either telling you he isn't interested in coon right now, or he never will be. Time will tell.

I think it can do a dog harm to over do it on caged coon. I want to expose a pup to a caged coon UNTIL they start firing on it.. then I'll turn one or two loose in front of them and let them try to tree it. If they are excited about all that... then they don't need anymore caged coon.

The only "trick" I would try would be to leave your young dog in a dog box where it can see another dog going nuts over a caged coon nearby. Let him see that for a few minutes then turn him loose.

Old Post 07-07-2020 07:42 PM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mike berger
UKC Forum Member

I've got a BMC pup now that fires on anything moving so I'm feeling good about his potential. He also checks back with me and doesn't need a leash and he has common sense.
I think dogs that are raised for generations in kennels lose their "people" sense, especially if they are not hunted/tested much.

Old Post 07-07-2020 09:19 PM