UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Training question/ need advice or help
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
rockin12
UKC Forum Member

Training question/ need advice or help

How much patience/ time do you give a dog to start going ? I have a female , bred as good as you could want one , has seen one cage coon and went nuts , will run and tree a drag if we knock one out to the older dogs , but she will not go when you unsnap her with the other dogs ,

A little history on her she was not messed with hunted or shown anything before I got her , she’s almost two now .. I have had her about a month, she’s very timid , you can not have a heavy hand with her at all, she will quit if you do ...

Also I make no claim to be a coon dog trainer , alll the pups I have started have all started really easily ..

She’s has been to the woods about 3 times but has been on several turn outs each night so maybe 5-6 turnouts , she will absolutely tear into one after we knock it out to the older dogs and is crazy on the drag .... but has no clue when unsnapped to go with other dogs... my patience is wearing thin , I know she hasn’t been hunted hardly any , but with the way she is on the live coons , I can’t understand why she won’t go .... her littermate sisters all started at a very young age ... and are coon dogs .. she just didn’t have the chance ... any advice or help would be appreciated ,, I think she has the tools to be really nice , just not sure I have the patience to wait on it ?! Whtat you guys think ?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-18-2020 03:47 AM
rockin12 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rockin12 Click here to Send rockin12 a Private Message Click Here to Email rockin12 Find more posts by rockin12 Add rockin12 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blacksc1
UKC Forum Member

Hunting is supposed to be fun, if you are t having fun move on. With that being said I took one in that was the same way and was told she would never make it. Me being as hard headed as I am I ‘hunted’ the dog every chance I had for an absurd amount of time. This dog was also very shy and can’t have a heavy hand with her without her shutting down. If you are walking her into trees with other dogs treed I’d tie her back and knock the coon out and never let her touch it. The dog apparently knows what a coon is. if you are trying to take a patient approach take the dog out by itself and turn it out and get back in the truck and wait eventually she should wander off and try to make something happen.

I took this approach with mine she’s now 8 years old and a yard dog, but I’m dog poor at the moment and had the itch to go and turned her out twice. First drop 200 yards and treed within 5 minutes had the meat, second turnout struck at 60ish yards and had him treed at 391 within minutes. Dang goodnight for the old yard dog. Typically she’s a slick treeing idiot lol.

Good luck with the dog.

Old Post 02-18-2020 05:08 AM
blacksc1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blacksc1 Click here to Send blacksc1 a Private Message Click Here to Email blacksc1 Find more posts by blacksc1 Add blacksc1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bill(Chew)
UKC Forum Member

When she fails to go with the other dogs put her back in the box. Do not let her play at the truck and do not take her to the tree. I have started several like her and all went with the other dogs after being put back in the box and left in the box until the next turn out. She is having fun hanging out with you. In the box she will not having fun.

Old Post 02-18-2020 07:02 AM
Bill(Chew) is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bill(Chew) Click here to Send Bill(Chew) a Private Message Click Here to Email Bill(Chew) Find more posts by Bill(Chew) Add Bill(Chew) to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Bill(Chew)
When she fails to go with the other dogs put her back in the box. Do not let her play at the truck and do not take her to the tree. I have started several like her and all went with the other dogs after being put back in the box and left in the box until the next turn out. She is having fun hanging out with you. In the box she will not having fun.

X2...

Old Post 02-18-2020 01:48 PM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OHC00N
UKC Forum Member

Sounds like you basically have a 2 year old puppy on your hands. Sounds like she isn't quite sure of her new surroundings if she is timid. It will take some time to get comfortable.
Also the more she is in the woods the more she will venture out as she builds confidence. Also probably wouldn't be a bad idea to let her chase a few trapped and released coon, do that in the dark to make it most like hunting conditions as possible. Basically start from square 1 with her as you would a pup. With time if she has it in her it will come out.

Old Post 02-18-2020 07:48 PM
OHC00N is offline Click Here to See the Profile for OHC00N Click here to Send OHC00N a Private Message Click Here to Email OHC00N Find more posts by OHC00N Add OHC00N to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote