UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Stud dog question
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Davidestep9024
UKC Forum Member

Stud dog question

New to breeding, Growing up we always bred to local dogs. I have a gyp I really enjoy hunting, I have been exploring options on stud dogs and can’t seem to nail down one, I feel confident will work. The one, semi local, I wanted to breed to seems to be deadset on showing him in the woods, is this common of stud dogs? Are you just supposed to read the ads and call their buddies on the references and take their word for it?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-18-2020 02:38 AM
Davidestep9024 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Davidestep9024 Click here to Send Davidestep9024 a Private Message Click Here to Email Davidestep9024 Find more posts by Davidestep9024 Add Davidestep9024 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lone Pine JB
UKC Forum Member

there is nothing wrong with asking to see a dog in the woods, or offspring from the stud in question.

If they won't show, that would be a huge a red flag that there is something to hide.

Lone Pine North

Old Post 02-18-2020 12:02 PM
Lone Pine JB is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lone Pine JB Click here to Send Lone Pine JB a Private Message Click Here to Email Lone Pine JB Visit Lone Pine JB's homepage! Find more posts by Lone Pine JB Add Lone Pine JB to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
deadeye ruck
UKC Forum Member

David-

Not sure where you are in VA or what breed your female is but you are more than welcome to come see Swag in action. I am located a little south of Roanoke, VA in Rocky Mount, VA.

I understand the reasoning behind not showing a dog but that has never been my flavor. Everyone that I have ever known that had a coondog sure wasn't afraid to show them. On the other hand, I have booked several guys to hunt and they never showed or I ended up having to wait a couple of hours on them for one reason or another. Just a about everyone that has a stud dog will tell you it's a hassle and they are right!

I would always call the references, not every dog shines every night and they may be able to give you some valuable insight about the dogs history, littermates, parents and past performance all of which you may find valuable.

Swag is a 2020 performance and SS sire.

Simon Rucker
(540)-420-1787

GrNiteCh PKC CH 'PR' Candy's Stylish Swag 2014 VA State PKC top 10 and 2022/2023 Super Stakes Sire & 2022 UKC Performance Sire
GrNiteCh PKC CH 'PR' Late Night Backwater Piper
NiteCh PKC CH 'PR' Risky Ruby
'PR' Stylish Poison Neon Moon
'PR' Stylish Poison Pickles

Last edited by deadeye ruck on 02-18-2020 at 04:59 PM

Old Post 02-18-2020 04:51 PM
deadeye ruck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for deadeye ruck Click here to Send deadeye ruck a Private Message Click Here to Email deadeye ruck Find more posts by deadeye ruck Add deadeye ruck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nextcoonhunters
UKC Forum Member

Dogs in the woods

I love when people tell you they hunt every night but than you say okay so what night this week can I go with you. Than well this week isn't a good week got things going on, and I'm tied up next week... If they say their stud is worth to much to hunt anymore fine, but you best be able to show me something out of it. I've said it before but you are not getting the stud but what they can reproduce. I'm fine not hunting with the stud if I've hunted with pups out of him that have what I'm looking for. But trust is something I'm not good with. I like to see it for myself. And if a stud owner ain't got a dog out of his stud he is proud to show off, than is that dog really a stud or just a hound people are breeding too. Proof is in the pudding.

Old Post 02-18-2020 07:43 PM
nextcoonhunters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nextcoonhunters Click here to Send nextcoonhunters a Private Message Find more posts by nextcoonhunters Add nextcoonhunters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Davidestep9024
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by deadeye ruck
David-

Not sure where you are in VA or what breed your female is but you are more than welcome to come see Swag in action. I am located a little south of Roanoke, VA in Rocky Mount, VA.

I understand the reasoning behind not showing a dog but that has never been my flavor. Everyone that I have ever known that had a coondog sure wasn't afraid to show them. On the other hand, I have booked several guys to hunt and they never showed or I ended up having to wait a couple of hours on them for one reason or another. Just a about everyone that has a stud dog will tell you it's a hassle and they are right!

I would always call the references, not every dog shines every night and they may be able to give you some valuable insight about the dogs history, littermates, parents and past performance all of which you may find valuable.

Swag is a 2020 performance and SS sire.

your not but about an hr from me

Old Post 02-18-2020 08:20 PM
Davidestep9024 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Davidestep9024 Click here to Send Davidestep9024 a Private Message Click Here to Email Davidestep9024 Find more posts by Davidestep9024 Add Davidestep9024 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pastor Mike
UKC Forum Member

Simon and swag

David,

I'm a redbone man but I know Simon. His dog will be what he says it is.......the best thing is he will take you hunting with him. I think you have a great option just a stones throw from you. Give Simon a call.

GRNTCH GRCH 'PR' Soggy Bottom The Frog Dawg (current reproducers list)
NTCH CH Soggy Bottom The Bull Dawg
Soggy Bottom T-Top Miss Dottie
RIP
GRNTCH GRCH Soggy Bottom T-Top Haze HTX (Former#1 Reproducer)
CH Soggy Bottom T-Top Stella
GRNTCH GRCH Soggy Bottom T-Top Shadow
NTCH CH Soggy Bottom Bomber's Red Wire (Pigeon- former #1 Reproducer)
NTCH GRCH Red Cedar T-Top Lexus
CH Soggy Bottom T-Top Locket

Mike Laster
540-392-2441
pastorlaster@aol.com

Old Post 02-18-2020 08:55 PM
Pastor Mike is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pastor Mike Click here to Send Pastor Mike a Private Message Click Here to Email Pastor Mike Find more posts by Pastor Mike Add Pastor Mike to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
k.trumble
UKC Forum Member

Swag!!

I HAVENT HUNTED WITH SWAG BUT HAVE HEARD NOTHING BUT GOOD ABOUT HIM!!!I HAVE HUNTED WITH HIS SIRE AND HE WAS SURE ENOUGH A COON TREER!!ID TAKE YOUR FEMALE THERE IN MY OPINION!!

Old Post 02-19-2020 12:25 AM
k.trumble is offline Click Here to See the Profile for k.trumble Click here to Send k.trumble a Private Message Click Here to Email k.trumble Find more posts by k.trumble Add k.trumble to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Davidestep9024
UKC Forum Member

Mike, your very close to me as well, I work at Volvo.

Old Post 02-19-2020 02:02 AM
Philip
UKC Forum Member

Isn't his question, the guy wants to show him, before he will need him.

Old Post 02-19-2020 02:44 AM
Philip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Philip Click here to Send Philip a Private Message Click Here to Email Philip Visit Philip's homepage! Find more posts by Philip Add Philip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pastor Mike
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Davidestep9024
Mike, your very close to me as well, I work at Volvo.

Good deal. I hunt up near Simon periodically with a buddy of mine. I go through Dublin when I'm heading to work.

GRNTCH GRCH 'PR' Soggy Bottom The Frog Dawg (current reproducers list)
NTCH CH Soggy Bottom The Bull Dawg
Soggy Bottom T-Top Miss Dottie
RIP
GRNTCH GRCH Soggy Bottom T-Top Haze HTX (Former#1 Reproducer)
CH Soggy Bottom T-Top Stella
GRNTCH GRCH Soggy Bottom T-Top Shadow
NTCH CH Soggy Bottom Bomber's Red Wire (Pigeon- former #1 Reproducer)
NTCH GRCH Red Cedar T-Top Lexus
CH Soggy Bottom T-Top Locket

Mike Laster
540-392-2441
pastorlaster@aol.com

Old Post 02-19-2020 02:24 PM
Pastor Mike is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pastor Mike Click here to Send Pastor Mike a Private Message Click Here to Email Pastor Mike Find more posts by Pastor Mike Add Pastor Mike to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roy Grant
UKC Forum Member

Just remember, you are not taking the stud dog home. Research what he reproduces with like blood lines of your female.

Old Post 02-19-2020 05:19 PM
Roy Grant is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Grant Click here to Send Roy Grant a Private Message Click Here to Email Roy Grant Find more posts by Roy Grant Add Roy Grant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Davidestep9024
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Pastor Mike
Good deal. I hunt up near Simon periodically with a buddy of mine. I go through Dublin when I'm heading to work.

If you ever wanna go one night, give me a shout.

Old Post 02-20-2020 01:44 AM