UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Disappointed in the New Generation.
Pages (8): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
CONRAD FRYAR
UKC Forum Member

You mean to tell me that with all the opinions on here the best we can do is blame it on the hunts? Where are all the breeding experts? I thought you guys might blame it on linebreeding
Or even the dreaded inbreeding, but we all know that's not the case. So lets hear it what is causing the hyper, motor mouthed, slick treeing, chain eating idiots?
It's quiet at my house and there's 6 hounds here. (no bark collars either

"Life is short boys, Hunt an intelligent hound"

Born in sin, convicted by the Word, saved by Grace.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-08-2020 11:10 PM
CONRAD FRYAR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CONRAD FRYAR Click here to Send CONRAD FRYAR a Private Message Click Here to Email CONRAD FRYAR Find more posts by CONRAD FRYAR Add CONRAD FRYAR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

They are already building dogs to compete with the new rules we just got.

But I think it will be better you blow to deep to quick and sombody is going to clean up coons behind you.

They crack babies Conrad thyroid pills is like crack to a dog amongst the other stuff top winning dog of all time didn’t live two months after they took him off the dope. Withdraws killed him.

Tar

Last edited by yadkintar on 02-08-2020 at 11:16 PM

Old Post 02-08-2020 11:13 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CONRAD FRYAR
UKC Forum Member

I think it will help if we can pinpoint when we think it started to go down hill, And right now all I am dealing with is Accuracy? Anybody got sometime periods 😊

Old Post 02-08-2020 11:41 PM
CONRAD FRYAR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CONRAD FRYAR Click here to Send CONRAD FRYAR a Private Message Click Here to Email CONRAD FRYAR Find more posts by CONRAD FRYAR Add CONRAD FRYAR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wart
UKC Forum Member

Dogs

I saw a bigger difference in the early to mid nineties especially
o when the pup hunts started everyone wanted a 1 yr old treedog and we got em in bunches also this didn't just start in the last generation it started over 25 years ago .Also some are trying to sell pups not really breeding for the highest quality

Last edited by wart on 02-08-2020 at 11:56 PM

Old Post 02-08-2020 11:53 PM
wart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wart Click here to Send wart a Private Message Find more posts by wart Add wart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wart
UKC Forum Member

Dogs

I saw a bigger difference in the way to mid nineties especially when the pup hunts started everyone wanted a 1 yr old treedog and we got em in bunches

Old Post 02-09-2020 12:00 AM
wart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wart Click here to Send wart a Private Message Find more posts by wart Add wart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by CONRAD FRYAR
I think it will help if we can pinpoint when we think it started to go down hill, And right now all I am dealing with is Accuracy? Anybody got sometime periods 😊

Conrad I guess you need to call me I keep telling you I don’t know if it’s because you got some of it in your dog or what your not listening. It wasent that good right off the nozzle I was right in the middle of it never even knew what all the fuss was about. 2 dogs caused it one started the bad kennel manners and accuracy issues. And the other was double bred him and they were double bad. To many fake titles. To much Hanky panky. And to much money won when the leaves was on made them look better on paper than what they were. And they sold a lot of pups when one out of a thousand finally won somthing big. Like Bruce said awhile back be carefull when you by a dog all it’s wins are at the same club and his wife was always the hunt director.

Tar

580-341-8060

Old Post 02-09-2020 12:24 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

I think the 90’s is about right. Maybe 1995 to 2005.

Old Post 02-09-2020 12:27 AM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Old Post 02-09-2020 12:34 AM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

I think the 90’s is about right. Maybe 1995 to 2005. Let me throw a curve ball. I was thinking about the time period and my grown dogs and pups raised. My conclusion scared me. I have has some of my best grown dogs in the past 15 to 20 years. But at the same time. The nuttiest pups. Lol.

Old Post 02-09-2020 12:37 AM
CONRAD FRYAR
UKC Forum Member

Tar I am listening 😊 I can’t blame just one stud or two I blame breeders, each stud is like a tool in a tool box ,he throws certain traits, either you need the tool or you don’t.
I understand what you are saying about hype, it was ridiculous for a time period, and men bought into it.
The breeders that stood out linebred there line of dogs and certain traits stood out, then everyone decided to breed best to best, “winners” and things started going down hill, breed freaks that are extreme in there traits and balance goes out the door.

Old Post 02-09-2020 01:22 AM
yadkintar
Banned

Conrad it might been a little earlier than Bruce but I trained for the public at that time and I hunted hard. This trait I am going to tell you about still shows up in that line today. When they are 15 months old nothing can beat them. Then shortly after they start missing coons it’s like they can’t go no further and they get wooded you can try and correct them and send them on but their done. If a dog goes to outrunning them on track they get wooded or jealous tree. And when young I would put them in the worst Briar patches and cattail patches I could find and after 7 nights a week and their eyes were swollen shut I might get 2 days of no bad kennel manners. Those guys that sell those seman pups out of them now got them sold at 8 weeks old if you notice the older they get the cheaper they get lol.

Tar

Old Post 02-09-2020 01:36 AM
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

quote:
when the fur prices dropped to nothing .hide hunters didn’t keep a dog around that wasn’t productive.

Old Post 02-09-2020 01:48 AM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CONRAD FRYAR
UKC Forum Member

My advice to young breeders is this base your breeding program on Accuracy on finding the coon and not on who is winning what, the results could be skewed 😊

Old Post 02-09-2020 02:18 AM
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
My advice to young breeders is this base your breeding program on Accuracy on finding the coon and not on who is winning what, the results could be skewed 😊

That I agree on. Boy I would like to be able to have collected some of the old hide dogs.

Tar

Old Post 02-09-2020 02:43 AM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Accuracy

While coon hides may be worthless these days, seeing coon eyes in every tree your dog trees SHOULD be the objective. Pleasure hunting or competition hunting should be about treeing coons. I can see all the empty trees I want to see just by looking out my front door. I have NEVER understood why anyone would be content with a slick treeing dog. Maybe if every one hunted in these steep mountains and had to walk to the top of a ridge or two only to see a slick tree, they would change their minds. Sure, the best may miss, but it should be rare and NOT a common thing. Certainly something that I will not tolerate, accept less and you have no one to blame but yourself. Dave

Old Post 02-09-2020 04:13 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Re: Accuracy

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
While coon hides may be worthless these days, seeing coon eyes in every tree your dog trees SHOULD be the objective. Pleasure hunting or competition hunting should be about treeing coons. I can see all the empty trees I want to see just by looking out my front door. I have NEVER understood why anyone would be content with a slick treeing dog. Maybe if every one hunted in these steep mountains and had to walk to the top of a ridge or two only to see a slick tree, they would change their minds. Sure, the best may miss, but it should be rare and NOT a common thing. Certainly something that I will not tolerate, accept less and you have no one to blame but yourself. Dave
Exactly the way I see it! And I can't figure it any other way.

Old Post 02-09-2020 04:20 AM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
They are already building dogs to compete with the new rules we just got.

But I think it will be better you blow to deep to quick and sombody is going to clean up coons behind you.

They crack babies Conrad thyroid pills is like crack to a dog amongst the other stuff top winning dog of all time didn’t live two months after they took him off the dope. Withdraws killed him.

Tar

So are you saying Meltdown died from withdraws from the thyroid meds? Only thing I can tell you is what I got told. I got told it was Blasto.

But I can't say 1 way or another on when the crazy pup stuff started. But I think there's been a bunch of changes in the past 10 years alone. Or I'm just more aware of it now. I think if you get away from the "big winners" you get more balance.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Last edited by novicane65 on 02-09-2020 at 11:22 AM

Old Post 02-09-2020 11:16 AM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

[QUOTE]Originally posted by novicane65
[B]So are you saying Meltdown died from withdraws from the thyroid meds ?

I never said what meds ?

Tar

Old Post 02-09-2020 01:17 PM
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

Maybe doing away with awarding 1st bark a hundred strike points could go a long way towards fixing some of the issues with the hunts as well as manners .

Old Post 02-09-2020 03:02 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
You mean to tell me that with all the opinions on here the best we can do is blame it on the hunts? Where are all the breeding experts? I thought you guys might blame it on linebreeding
Or even the dreaded inbreeding, but we all know that's not the case. So lets hear it what is causing the hyper, motor mouthed, slick treeing, chain eating idiots?
It's quiet at my house and there's 6 hounds here. (no bark collars either

If you don't think the hunts have a huge impact on accuracy, start sending them home for slick trees and don't give first tree points to dogs that split tree second and see if it doesn't change. Dogs compete for strike points but not tree points.

Old Post 02-09-2020 03:17 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Olrebel
Banned

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
Thats exactly when I quit 1995 and started back late 2005 you folks messed it all Up while I was gone

Old Post 02-09-2020 03:24 PM
Olrebel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Olrebel Click here to Send Olrebel a Private Message Click Here to Email Olrebel Find more posts by Olrebel Add Olrebel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Olrebel
Thats exactly when I quit 1995 and started back late 2005 you folks messed it all Up while I was gone
LOL

Old Post 02-09-2020 03:26 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

I been following this thread so it should be obvious by now that the problem is a combination of breeding, drugs,greed, and lack of discipline.... sounds like most other troubles in the world!....And as for when it started ...in a garden called Eden...

Old Post 02-09-2020 04:30 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CONRAD FRYAR
UKC Forum Member

2ol2hunt I agree, something else to think about in that time period everyone became breeders, many with no knowledge of breeding.
Everyone said breed the best to the best and you will be successful, what is your criteria for best ? Titles, Grand Night Champions, Most Hype 😊
Traits and Accuracy are most important in breeding!
I am thankful that I am happy with the dogs we are breeding, I have a couple partners all younger than I am and my philosophy to them is this.....
"If you can't feed your family with the dog your hunting then we don't need it"
That's the criteria I want them to I use evaluating a dog.

Old Post 02-09-2020 06:48 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Conrad

I like your thinking, even though coon hides are worthless these days, the thought process should be about how successful your dog or dogs are in treeing coons if they were bringing top dollar. How many coons can they tree accurately? Could I feed my family on hide prices if they were high, by the number if coons my dogs can tree accurately night in night out. Are my dogs good enough that folks would buy a pup from me. Am I happy hunting my dogs every night or do I want better, these are questions that if answered Yes , then you know you have the right stock. I have followed you and yourf dogs enough to think you have the right stock. Keep up the good work. Dave

Old Post 02-09-2020 07:10 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote