UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Hunting alone. Who does it
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
harleydan1956
UKC Forum Member

Hunting alone. Who does it

My next birthday, I will be 64 years old. Our kill season just came to a close January 31st at midnite. Realized I only hunted with someone 1 time all season. I believe, before that was back in early October. The rest, All alone. Been coonhunting since I was 14 years old and really don't mind.
Younger hunters have girlfriends, kids, or other obligations. Older hunters usually don't hunt like me or are farther away. My wife fully supports me hunting 3-5 nights a week year round.
Who else enjoys hunting alone just as much?

Canton, ohio
330-904-3392

Home of:
Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Moonlight Serenade... Gr. Ch. Nite Ch PR Hillbillys Smokey River Dutch HTX X Gr. Ch. Nite CH. PR Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara
Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Lil Bit of Respect.... Ch. Nite Ch PR Shivers' Magic Lead X GR. Ch. Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Betty Jane
PR. Lethal Blue Tayen Grace..... Nite Ch. Pr Coffins creek running J.R. X Gr Ch Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Moonlite Serenade.

Gone but never forgotten
Gr. Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara... Dual Gr. Ch PR Bowens Blue Deuce X Ch. Nite Ch. PR Becky.

Gr Ch Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Betty Jane...... PR. Crites Soggy Bottom Blue Banjo X PR. Mosquito Creek Tree mamma Sis

Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Rattlin Samantha ... Dual Gr Ch PR Mid Ohio Rattlin Sam X Gr Ch PR. Lethal Blue Jet's Xena

Gr. Ch. Nite Ch Hillbilly's Smokey River Blue Dutch HTX..... Gr. Ch. Gr. Nite Ch Pr. Smokey River Tramp's Blue Lake and Pr. Misty River Blue Doll III.
(Dutch wasn't ours, but he was here and like one of the family)

Pr. Dan's little Porter.... my last beagle...

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-02-2020 04:13 PM
harleydan1956 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for harleydan1956 Click here to Send harleydan1956 a Private Message Click Here to Email harleydan1956 Find more posts by harleydan1956 Add harleydan1956 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RC-Abby
UKC Forum Member

loner

I hunt 90% of the time by myself. 9 year old neighbor boy started going with me in December on weekends and over Christmas vacation. Granddaughter goes once a year at Thanksgiving. Granma maybe 4 or 5 times. It is my time with the dogs.(4) I hunt 1 to 6 nights a week 1 to 5 hours a night. All depends on my work load for each day as to hunting time. Gramma says at 66 you are old enough to know what you can do. I do carry my cell 99% of the time.

Randi Bidlack

Old Post 02-02-2020 04:57 PM
RC-Abby is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RC-Abby Click here to Send RC-Abby a Private Message Find more posts by RC-Abby Add RC-Abby to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

I hunt alone......this past season I tried being social so I started hunting w/a friend..... we would start at dark:30...that didn't last long.....back to hunting alone....I just couldn't accept starting at dark:30..... I start at midnite or later year round I guess I'm not a "social" coon hunter.
For me it's about the "dog(s)"....

Old Post 02-02-2020 05:31 PM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
critter
UKC Forum Member

ole timer

I will be 75 next birthday.I hunt alone 99% of the time.Generally drive 60 miles each nite to hunt.Usually try to hunt every other nite year round,depending on the weather.Average 2 to 3 hours a nite.Coon hunting is my only hobby and passion,or character flaw as some would say!

Old Post 02-02-2020 05:57 PM
critter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for critter Click here to Send critter a Private Message Click Here to Email critter Find more posts by critter Add critter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Guys

Well, I used to hunt a lot by myself and as you guys have posted, I enjoyed doing so. You can start hunting when you want to, quit when you want to and everything in between. I think it brings a freedom to us that we DO NOT have hunting with other folks. My recent Fall and injury that occurred at home, makes me realize just how easy it can happen to anyone at anytime. I hope to have a full recovery and spend some more nights hunting alone. I will be better prepared if and when I do hunt by myself, carrying a cell phone and hunting in places with real good cell service is MANDATORY. Letting someone know where you will be hunting and when you plan on quitting that night along with some other precautions COULD save us a lot of problems if something bad should happen. I used to say and think I was more cautious hunting alone, but CAUTION can not prevent all accidents. Dave

Old Post 02-02-2020 06:36 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roy Grant
UKC Forum Member

I agree with Dave. I fell this fall in a wash out and was literally stuck upside down, my lite was below me cell was inside my coat. Divine intervention my neighbor boy asked to go that night, If Greg Sutton had not been there only God knows it would have. Being cautious is not enough. When you get a little long in the tooth, best rethink some things.

Old Post 02-02-2020 07:36 PM
Roy Grant is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Grant Click here to Send Roy Grant a Private Message Click Here to Email Roy Grant Find more posts by Roy Grant Add Roy Grant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

I hunt 90% by myself, not really by choice but my hunting buddy got to where he couldn't walk in the ground we hunt. I'm 70 and there are not too many around close. Really don't mind hunting alone but with age a guy needs to be careful.I hunt about 4 nights a week year round but am considering
letting up a little in the summer heat. (But probably won't lol)

Old Post 02-02-2020 07:42 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cotton 1927
UKC Forum Member

Alone

All the others boys have quit I've made every hunt alone this winter with a 2y/0 dog I will be 70 soon but to be honest I had a couple fellas I hunted with once in awhile that I enjoyed going with, now I tell my wife where I'm going case I don't get back......

Old Post 02-02-2020 08:11 PM
Cotton 1927 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cotton 1927 Click here to Send Cotton 1927 a Private Message Click Here to Email Cotton 1927 Find more posts by Cotton 1927 Add Cotton 1927 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
treedog69
UKC Forum Member

Hunting alone

I hunt alone for coons in some ruff country been hurt,banged up, scratched from head to toe, crawling through stuff so thick you couldn't walk,clothes full of twigs,pine needles, juniper berries,bugs, scaling cliffs,rock walls I live for it and pray I can do it till the clock runs out,in this day and age you could loose it all going to wal Mart I would much rather it be doing something I love as much as life itself,thanks for reading be safe and great luck hunting....

Old Post 02-02-2020 08:17 PM
treedog69 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for treedog69 Click here to Send treedog69 a Private Message Find more posts by treedog69 Add treedog69 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
davemc
UKC Forum Member

ALONE

I am going to be 65 in a couple of months. I hunted alone with one dog by itself since mid Oct. Before that I hunted the same dog from form Aug till Mid Oct. one time with another person and Dog. I hunt 95% of the time by myself during kill season. In the summer months, and spring, I do hunt a couple times a week with other dogs and people. This is a good time for me to see how a dog I have singled out will do in the up coming hunts, as well as seeing other hounds and spending time with hunting friends. I also travel out of state four or five times a year to hunt with people, as well as them coming here.

Old Post 02-02-2020 08:34 PM
davemc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for davemc Click here to Send davemc a Private Message Find more posts by davemc Add davemc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

One thing I have done is put an app on my phone here my wife can track where I am. Even if I tell her where I am going that probably won't be where I am 2 hours later.

Old Post 02-02-2020 09:52 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rrekab
UKC Forum Member

hunting alone

I hunt alone exclusively when I have a young dog I'm getting started. I like a young dog to tree at approx. 30 coon on their own before even considering hunting that dog with another dog. When I do begin to expose a young dog to other dogs, I'm pretty picky on the "other" dog. I do enjoy hunting with others especially when they are hunting above average dogs and they are good friends I enjoy being around. Historically I have taken others hunting who like to go back to my spots without permission or try to get permission. Getting permission wouldn't necessarily be a big deal for me if they asked me first. Other aggravations have been being called every other night to take them hunting again, constantly talking up their dog(s) when it's obvious they are exaggerating a bit. I have lost ground mostly to urbanization or land selling off but I have lost hunting ground because other coonhunters told landowners I give them permission to hunt. With all that said my favorite hunts are with friends who hunt above average dogs.

Old Post 02-02-2020 10:11 PM
rrekab is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rrekab Click here to Send rrekab a Private Message Click Here to Email rrekab Find more posts by rrekab Add rrekab to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gone walkin
UKC Forum Member

Im 35 and I hunt 90% alone. take my best friend along when his knees can carry him. He is 70. Some nights when the dog gets too deep he stays sitting on a log and listens. On nights he cant go I will call just so he can hear the dog running and treeing. I usually tell him where I'm going because he would be more helpful finding me then my wife. I hunt the same spots he hunted. Had a few guys thought they wanted to be coon hunters but they couldn't hack the long nights and early mornings, work and family. My normal hunt schedule is 2 nights hunting 1 night off. It seems to work best for me. But that depends on weather especially this time of year.

Old Post 02-02-2020 11:59 PM
gone walkin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gone walkin Click here to Send gone walkin a Private Message Find more posts by gone walkin Add gone walkin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

I'm 76 years old and hunt mostly by myself. Even when I go with someone else I'm usually alone because I can't keep up. LOL

Old Post 02-03-2020 12:07 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Clovis A Nailor
UKC Forum Member

I'm in my 50's hunted my whole life I hunt 99% of the time by myself. When I'm starting young dogs I want to hunt by myself but I find it a lot more fun with someone to hunt with. But coon hunting buddies are hard to find.

Old Post 02-03-2020 12:09 AM
Clovis A Nailor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clovis A Nailor Click here to Send Clovis A Nailor a Private Message Click Here to Email Clovis A Nailor Find more posts by Clovis A Nailor Add Clovis A Nailor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
harleydan1956
UKC Forum Member

Thought I was the oddball. I always let my wife know which woods I am going to. A Garmin GPS with where I park my truck at home for her, along with a spare Garmin 320 to help locate dogs. If I move, I text her.

Canton, ohio
330-904-3392

Home of:
Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Moonlight Serenade... Gr. Ch. Nite Ch PR Hillbillys Smokey River Dutch HTX X Gr. Ch. Nite CH. PR Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara
Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Lil Bit of Respect.... Ch. Nite Ch PR Shivers' Magic Lead X GR. Ch. Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Betty Jane
PR. Lethal Blue Tayen Grace..... Nite Ch. Pr Coffins creek running J.R. X Gr Ch Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Moonlite Serenade.

Gone but never forgotten
Gr. Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara... Dual Gr. Ch PR Bowens Blue Deuce X Ch. Nite Ch. PR Becky.

Gr Ch Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Betty Jane...... PR. Crites Soggy Bottom Blue Banjo X PR. Mosquito Creek Tree mamma Sis

Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Rattlin Samantha ... Dual Gr Ch PR Mid Ohio Rattlin Sam X Gr Ch PR. Lethal Blue Jet's Xena

Gr. Ch. Nite Ch Hillbilly's Smokey River Blue Dutch HTX..... Gr. Ch. Gr. Nite Ch Pr. Smokey River Tramp's Blue Lake and Pr. Misty River Blue Doll III.

Old Post 02-03-2020 12:21 AM
harleydan1956 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for harleydan1956 Click here to Send harleydan1956 a Private Message Click Here to Email harleydan1956 Find more posts by harleydan1956 Add harleydan1956 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

I hunt a good bit of time alone. My son hunts with me almost half the time which I enjoy more than he knows. I just enjoy hunting with or without company.

Old Post 02-03-2020 12:40 AM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Creason
UKC Forum Member

Me too

Alone about 75% of the time, on occasion with my daughter or a buddy.

Old Post 02-03-2020 01:12 AM
Creason is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Creason Click here to Send Creason a Private Message Find more posts by Creason Add Creason to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

I hunt alone 95% of the time. I actually do no like hunting alone, but just nobody else here that really goes. A few fellas talk like they are all about it... but you know how that goes, lol.

Old Post 02-03-2020 01:18 AM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nextcoonhunters
UKC Forum Member

Older hunters than alone

When I can I hunt with some older hunters who's wives won't let them hunt alone due to health reasons. I'm also the dog fetcher when they can't go that deep. Listening to them gives me a perspective on hounds though their years of experience. No way to replace that. But sometimes after we hunt I hunt my way back home. Just me and a hound. Forget the Garmin and listen to the song of the night. Than walk on to em and be proud or realize yep they still need work. Than there is the other times were on the way home I cut loose and fell asleep and wake up than do the rest. Lol depends on work and what else is going on. Headed out in just a few minutes after watching the game with my boy. Be alone tonight just hope the boogie man don't get me.

Old Post 02-03-2020 03:32 AM
nextcoonhunters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nextcoonhunters Click here to Send nextcoonhunters a Private Message Find more posts by nextcoonhunters Add nextcoonhunters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Surveyor
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by harleydan1956
Thought I was the oddball. I always let my wife know which woods I am going to. A Garmin GPS with where I park my truck at home for her, along with a spare Garmin 320 to help locate dogs. If I move, I text her.

Dan
My wife and I have a program on our phones called life 360. We can see exactly where each other is at all times-well within phone reception. I normally hunt within a few miles of home and it's not uncommon for me to call her to come give me a lift. With life 360 I don't need to give any directions, she just tracks me down and if something was to happen to me she'd be able to tell where I was and when I was last moving. Just something you might look into.

2 time world finalist, 10th overall and high scoring Bluetick of the 2010 UKC World Coonhound Championship
NASHOBA VALLEY PIAZON, (RIP)
his littermate brother
UKC NT CH SHEPPARDS NORTHERN
BLUE LONER (RIP)
UKC GR NT CH RATTLERS BLUE SKY (RIP)
UKC Gr NT CH, PKC Ch Sheppard's Northern Blue Abbie, (PiazonxSky) UKC GR NT CH 'pr' Sheppards Northern Blue Punkin (PiazonXAlice) High scoring Bluetick of the 2015 (50th anniversary) Grand American, 2017 National Grand Nite Champion of breed, 2017 BBOA zone 4 Nite hunt dog of the year. Queen of hunt on 2019 Grand National Bluetick Reunion, 5th place and High Scoring Bluetick of 2019 UKC world Nite hunt Championship, 2019 Triple Crown Winner.
UKC GR NT CH 'pr' Mckintosh's Blue Flame Chopper
Gr Nt Ch Sheppards Northern Blue Goomba (Piazon X Dizzie) 14th place 2017 UKC world coon hound championship 100 purina point cast wins in 2018
and several other blueticks of lesser accomplishments

Old Post 02-03-2020 03:54 AM
Surveyor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Surveyor Click here to Send Surveyor a Private Message Click Here to Email Surveyor Find more posts by Surveyor Add Surveyor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
harleydan1956
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Surveyor
Dan
My wife and I have a program on our phones called life 360. We can see exactly where each other is at all times-well within phone reception. I normally hunt within a few miles of home and it's not uncommon for me to call her to come give me a lift. With life 360 I don't need to give any directions, she just tracks me down and if something was to happen to me she'd be able to tell where I was and when I was last moving. Just something you might look into.

THANKS!! Both phones need it, huh? Gonna show her tomorrow

Canton, ohio
330-904-3392

Home of:

Gone but never forgotten

Old Post 02-03-2020 05:16 AM
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Dan

Surveyor the Life 360 is what my wife and I use. Works good except that part about having her come pick me up. She's usually asleep and I'd be afraid to wake her, lol.

Old Post 02-03-2020 06:08 AM
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Dan

Google maps has location sharing built in you can also use

Old Post 02-03-2020 08:39 AM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ssgied
UKC Forum Member

My hunting buddy and myself had a deal if scheduling worked we went together but if not we went alone. He recently hunted alone on a Friday night and passed away on Saturday morning. Now I hunt mostly alone.

Old Post 02-03-2020 01:40 PM
ssgied is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ssgied Click here to Send ssgied a Private Message Click Here to Email ssgied Find more posts by ssgied Add ssgied to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote