UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Its the Crazy Stuff that makes Hunting Fun.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Its the Crazy Stuff that makes Hunting Fun.

A few nights ago I had a Father and two Sons hunt with me. The Father had never been Coon Hunting before but his Sons do all the time and they are 16 and 25. Well we treed in a big oak and there was a Ladder Stand on the tree that looked like had been there for 25 years. It was old and real heavy metal. After we dispatched the coon. I wanted to hang up the coon for a pup or two we had along to bark at. There was no tree close by with low limbs so I figured a rung on the ladder stand would work. I stepped on the first rung and as I was making my way up the second rung of the ladder. The stand decided to fall over. It headed straight toward the Father and one of his Sons. They scattered and I rode it down and ended up laying in the mud. The dogs were barking at me as I asked where the coon had went. I heard Corey say you're laying on it. Which explained the dogs wanting to chew on me. Man I rolled over several times to away from the dogs and that coon. This is the kind of stuff my coon hunting career has in the memory bank. Not a bunch of good dogs. But memories of good times with a crazy ending. These young men will be discussing the night a ladder stand almost took them out, long after I am gone.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-15-2019 12:46 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blacksc1
UKC Forum Member

That right there is funny. That’s one great thing about it, the trials and tribulations of coon hunting make it fun. I once had a coon climb up my leg to get away from the dogs. My buddy was laughing so hard he was crying. That was bad son of a gun. We knew it was gonna be a good fight when he growled and jumped down to the dogs. He whipped both the dogs and me.

Old Post 02-16-2019 03:39 AM
blacksc1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blacksc1 Click here to Send blacksc1 a Private Message Click Here to Email blacksc1 Find more posts by blacksc1 Add blacksc1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

blacksc I had the exact same thing happen to me once but one of the funniest things was back when tri tronics first came out with the e collar I had a young B&T female that loved rabbits. She had a lot of talent so I strained my budget and bought a brand new shock collar. I had a couple buddies that hunted with me sometimes that wanted to see this high technology at work. Dang thing had 5 intensity level plugs that plugged into the back of the collar and to test it you had a test light that plugged on the prongs. I didn't tighten the collar tight enough and it wouldn't hit the dog so while my buddies were laughing at me I ran the dog down and corrected her. They were having a ball at me having wasted my money and wanted me to try the collar on myself to see if it was working. I told them heck no I was gonna wait till I got home and use the test light. I fell back behind them and laid my thumb across the prongs and mashed the button. I let out a whoop that could be heard in the next county and threw the collar straight up. Dang #5 intensity level was hot and I seriously considered shooting the two hyenas rolling on the ground laughing at me.

Old Post 02-16-2019 01:12 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Tar my first experience with any kind of shocker wad back in the late sixties. I had started fox huntinh and everyone had one of those Hot Shot cattle prods. Red tip and white rod. After using that on a dog you could point a broom stick at him and make hom do znything you wanted. Well I finally saved up enough money to get my own and I had to drive like 30 miles to the feed store. Anyway I was never one to wait to get home to try something out. I usuall had my toys broke in the truck long before I got home. Anyway I was traveling down on of those fancy expressways in Miami and got the idea I just needed to shock myself to see how it felt. With the left hand on the steering wheel going about 60 I picked it up off the seat with my right hand and was just going to give my right forearm a little tingle. There is no such thing with one of those. My left hand flew off the steering wheel into the closed window on my door. Thought I broke the hand and at the same time trying to steer the truck with one arm aching and the other holding the hoy shot. That was one time I actually drove with my knees. Them Hot Shots are BAD.

Old Post 02-16-2019 05:17 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RC-Abby
UKC Forum Member

new chest wadders

Long time ago. 1967 -1970? I didn't have a dog, but hunted with my neighbors. Well he went hip boot shopping on a Saturday came home with chest waders. So he is all excited about trying them out. At dark we load up dogs and head out. We had a big tile coon (coon that lives in big drainage tile) that we had run many times. Coon wouldn't tree always made it back to tile. So neighbor says lets go get the tile coon. The tile is maybe 50 yds off the road. His plan was he would go sit on the tile and not let coon in. I would go to the end of the old creek bed 1/4 mile down the road with dogs. Now we are set. I cut the 3 dogs and they struck in the bottom of the creek bed.(HOT) Headed for the tile. So I drive back to where neighbor got out. Just as I open tk door I hear this god awful scream. When I get to him the dogs were treeing on the tile. He was spitting out so many 4 letter words. When I shinned my light on the front of him claw marks from his chest to his knee. That coon destroyed the new waders. He never had a scratch. He said he saw the coon at 20 feet running straight at him. So he stood up and turned light on at same time. Said coon jump and hit him in chest as he was coming up. Then kinda slid down ripping waders on the way. Needless to say I laughed till my sides hurt. And yes we chased that coon many times after that. Or others that used that tile.

I laugh every time I replay that night.
Randi

Old Post 02-16-2019 06:29 PM
RC-Abby is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RC-Abby Click here to Send RC-Abby a Private Message Find more posts by RC-Abby Add RC-Abby to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote