UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Breeds > Redbones > Cedarfork Valley Woodpecker
Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

I have hunted with Dandy a couple of times. He had a super cold nose and was independant to a fault. He would not tree or hunt with the other dogs. I bred Gr Nt Tara to Dandy to get some independance and nose and bawl mouth. The pup that I kept was one of the best at getting treed super quick with a coon and had a beautiful mouth. But he would not stay when another dog came into his tree. It was a shame because he would have/could have won a bunch if he would have just stayed. He won an early round at 1 yr old S/S but in the late round, he had first and first on a coon but then left when another dog came in and blew a little bit so he got 200 minus on a coon that he treed 2 minutes before the others got there.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 08-11-2016 at 03:15 PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-11-2016 03:11 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Smoke
UKC Forum Member

I remember Dandy and Hot and Greasy coming to the hints at Troy, Chris

Old Post 08-11-2016 03:16 PM
Smoke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Smoke Click here to Send Smoke a Private Message Find more posts by Smoke Add Smoke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jim Hicks
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
I have hunted with Dandy a couple of times. He had a super cold nose and was independant to a fault. He would not tree or hunt with the other dogs.

And there it's is again King Richard seen what I seen. I'm not saying he can't reproduce a balanced coondog because I seen them out of him but be careful who you breed him to the independents is strong there and yes Yellow River and Fireball seemed to work and do not try Billy the kid stuff or moonlight stuff with him not saying anything was bad about them but saying it did not mix well.

**HOME OF U.K.C. NITECH 'PR' CLEARFORK VALLEYS RUSTY NAIL**
Nitech Clearfork Valleys Red Rusty X Nitech Nates Little Red Girl
8th place Pup Derby winner Thur 2010 National Redbone Days, 8th place reg Friday 2010 National Redbone Days, 3rd place Friday 2011 BBCHA Spring Bluetick Hunt, 3rd place reg Sat 2011 TWBFA Treeing Walker Hunt, 1st place reg 925+ Mt Verion OH, 2nd place Nite CH win 2012 BBCHA Spring Bluetick Hunt win towards Grand **

**HOME OF U.K.C. 'PR' MARLBORO RED DIRTY GIRL**
Nitech Clearfork Valleys Rusty Nail X Nitech Clearfork Valleys Rusty Bell

MARLBORO RED KENNELS

James Hicks, 419-565-9031

Old Post 08-11-2016 04:26 PM
Jim Hicks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jim Hicks Click here to Send Jim Hicks a Private Message Click Here to Email Jim Hicks Find more posts by Jim Hicks Add Jim Hicks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jim Hicks
UKC Forum Member

Most balanced coondog out of him I feel was a dog named Nitech Cedarfork Dan he would tree with other dogs and get split treed very hard tree dog but loved to run deer and fall off on a coon Greg Segraves owned him. I handled him at the ukc world zone hunt back in 2001 me and Dickerson drew out together with that x dog that won the world Dan lost that cast because I didn't know the dog well enough to call him but really he won it if steve or greg would of handled him.

8th place Pup Derby winner Thur 2010 National Redbone Days, 8th place reg Friday 2010 National Redbone Days, 3rd place Friday 2011 BBCHA Spring Bluetick Hunt, 3rd place reg Sat 2011 TWBFA Treeing Walker Hunt, 1st place reg 925+ Mt Verion OH, 2nd place Nite CH win 2012 BBCHA Spring Bluetick Hunt win towards Grand **

MARLBORO RED KENNELS

Old Post 08-11-2016 04:43 PM
Jim Hicks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jim Hicks Click here to Send Jim Hicks a Private Message Click Here to Email Jim Hicks Find more posts by Jim Hicks Add Jim Hicks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jim Hicks
UKC Forum Member

Now look at the crosses take for instance red hot in greasy, Henkel's Just dandy, tess dog Andy had there were more all littermates as I remember could be wrong it's been a while since I researched it he produced entire litters of coondog so something there just need to use the right female there were other crosses I noticed that were all littermates.

MARLBORO RED KENNELS

Old Post 08-11-2016 04:55 PM
Jim Hicks
UKC Forum Member

Now let's look at his brother what did he throw colliers smoking joe hell of a dog put your boots on your going hunting your passing some coon up but he will be in there treed before your dog got done piss ing. Now there was a cross made that gave the dog a bad wrap but again I said Billy the kid and moonlight don't mix well with this blood I'm not saying there is anything wrong with them dogs but don't mix the porter stuff with it.

MARLBORO RED KENNELS

Old Post 08-11-2016 05:05 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Yeah, Smoking Joe was another dog that would absolutely refuse to hunt/tree with another dog. Sloppy Joe who is out of Smoking Joe is also awfully independant. If you want to add some independance Woodpecker could do that. Just be careful what you ask for, you might get it.

Old Post 08-11-2016 05:12 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jim Hicks
UKC Forum Member

In my end statements unless there's any more questions I would breed him to a slick treeing me to crazy female with no hunt and you will end up with a power house.

MARLBORO RED KENNELS

Old Post 08-11-2016 05:16 PM
Jim Hicks
UKC Forum Member

Try a nocturnal nailer female and x register it make sure you SS stake them may fix the walker breed I'm in for one of those it would be a world beater there think about it a little.

MARLBORO RED KENNELS

Old Post 08-11-2016 05:24 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Or a nice balanced all around female that will pack hunt with other dogs (maybe a T-Top bred female) to add just a little independance and speed.

Old Post 08-11-2016 05:28 PM
Jim Hicks
UKC Forum Member

Woodpecker was a hell of a dog that threw a strong hunt, independents, 100 percent accurate coondog not putting him or steve down just being honest be careful.

MARLBORO RED KENNELS

Old Post 08-11-2016 05:30 PM
Jim Hicks
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Or a nice balanced all around female that will pack hunt with other dogs (maybe a T-Top bred female) to add just a little independance and speed.

There you go just make sure she pack hunts and then don't double up on it move on that stuff is strong in there.

MARLBORO RED KENNELS

Old Post 08-11-2016 05:38 PM
Donnie Frazier
UKC Forum Member

Woodpecker

Chris,
I have been out of the coonhunting loop for a little while but heard about your question and wanted to share with you what I know. I never hunted with Woodpecker himself but years ago when I was pushing my dog Psycho in the hunts I did draw out with some young dogs out of Woodpecker and was impressed with them. I liked them, they treed coons and hunted the way a hound should.

Later, I also was lucky enough to purchase and walk behind one of the Best coonhounds to ever breath (IMO.) She will always be very special to me and I would think special also to anyone that liked RED DOGS and had the privilege of hunting with her. Her name was Bing's Tess. She was sired by Woodpecker. I bought her from Ronnie Copeland somewhere around 6 years old. If I remember right he told me she had been sitting up for a couple of years and hadn't been hunted much. Think the story also was something like she was bought as a pup and sat up until she was over a year old before she ever got hunted for the first time. Don't know much about her before I got her. How I would loved to have owned her as a two year old.

I hunted her in some hunts. She done real well and was always competitive. She was hard to beat. Andy Harris didn't have a dog to hunt at the time and I let him hunt her in a couple of hunts. We made her a Grandnite CH. in very short order. She won Southern Redbone Days and also placed 4th at the Grand American in SC. that year. I hunted her and placed I think it was 1st or 2nd at the RQE that same year. She should have been the SC State Champion that same year also. I hunted her against two Grandnite walker dogs that night and the one that won our cast won the SC State Championship. Ask old Red Dog (Kenneth Connors) here on the message board what kind of show she put on that night. He rode and spectated with me that night. The Grandnite walker dogs on more than one occasion that night took tracks backwards and treed den trees when she would be treed on the other end with two eyes looking down. They scored coons sticking there head out supposedly then sticking there head back in the den and such to win the cast. Voting to minus Tess undeserving for issues just to win the cast. That's neither here nor there now but she won that night and that's a fact. She was a winner anywhere you dropped her.

Grandnite CH. Bing's Tess would take tracks as they come. She also would tree lay ups when the coons weren't moving. To me that was her greatest talent was finding coons when other dogs couldn't and having them on the outside looking down. She would tree coons many times behind dogs after they would blow through the country. She would tree behind hounds, she would tree beside hounds, she would tree in front of hounds, she would tree with hounds.

As you can tell by now I really liked Bing's Tess and feel very lucky to have had the chance to own and hunt such a fine hound. The only negative thing I could ever say about Bing's Tess would be she needed a louder mouth. One other thing is when she got older, somewhere around 11 years old she started treeing slick quite a bit. For some reason the older she got the more slick trees she would tree. She did not do this when she was younger. I eventually quit hunting her because of that. I figured she had nothing left to prove and deserved to take it easy. I will try to find a picture when I get the chance of her and post it. If you get the chance look at her and she looks the spitting image of her sire Woodpecker. She looks just like him to me, IMO.

I liked her and the dogs sired by Woodpecker that hunted against Grandnite Frazier's Timbermusic Psycho and I back around 2002 so much I bought all the Woodpecker semen I could get from Steve Badger's wife when Steve passed away. Sorry for such a long response but Woodpecker and Tess both deserve nothing less. I am working so much now so I have put coonhunting on the back burner but one day I will hopefully get to compete and beat the almighty walker dog with another Bing's Tess sired by the great Cedarfork Valley Woodpecker

Take care and keep'em RED!
Go Psycho!
Donnie Frazier

Gr.Nt.Ch.Gr.Ch FRAZIER'S TIMBERMUSIC PSYCHO R.I.P.

Gr.Nt.Ch.Gr.Ch.Firebrands Smoking With Tess

Gr.Nt.Ch.Gr.Ch.Bings Tess ( 2010 Southern Redbone Days Overall Champion )
(2010 Grand American Final Four Finalist )

Old Post 08-11-2016 10:31 PM
Donnie Frazier is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Frazier Click here to Send Donnie Frazier a Private Message Click Here to Email Donnie Frazier Find more posts by Donnie Frazier Add Donnie Frazier to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jim Hicks
UKC Forum Member

Donnie Steves wife thanks me for you and others help every time I see her it helped her get back on her feet after Steve and her son passed away.

That's great you had the pleasure of owning such a fine hound Steve did tell me about a month before he passed she was the better hounds. I have seen the same as you described you will get coon treeing machines but the independents to a fault is still there and there isn't nobody that can change my mind on that I hunted with to many hounds out of him out of diffrent females. I still today hunt the woodpecker line and always will is that fault in him no not a bit can it come back I'm sure it will depending on what he is breed to just be care who you breed him to.

MARLBORO RED KENNELS

Old Post 08-11-2016 11:47 PM
Danny McCleskey
UKC Forum Member

..............................GrNiteCh Ch Toussaints Red Rip
....................Porters Buck
..............................Porters Moonlite Roxanna
..........GrNiteCh Cedarfork Valley Woodpecker
..............................GrNiteCh Ch Have One Hank Jr.
....................Bahns Jewel
..............................Have One Little Kismet
NiteCh Guinns Rusty
..............................GrNiteCh Ch Yellow River Red Rocky
....................GrNiteCh Ch Yellow River Red
..............................NiteCh Sweet Magnolia Maggie
..........NiteCh Guinns Red Ruby
..............................NiteCh GrCh Joiners Lucky Red
....................Nighty Night Red Got Took
..............................Minks Big Timber Ruby

I owned Rusty for a little while. Average hunter, cold nose, pressure tree dog. Worked good with other dogs but still to himself some but not independent to a fault. Would not hunt or tree with another dog that was the least bit aggressive. A pretty decent dog overall.

Nite Hunt Titled Dogs I Owned

1986 Autumn Oaks National Grand Nite Ch Redbone
GrNiteCh GrCh Key River Rock

1992 Autumn Oaks National Grand Nite Ch Redbone
1992 Autumn Oaks - Overall High Scoring Redbone
GrNiteCh Flint Creek Hustlin Doc

GrNiteCh Flint Creek Hustlin Amy
NiteCh Flint Creek Hustlin Amos
NiteCH Ch Johnos Red Sugar
NiteCh Ch Treefines Firecracker
NiteCh Flint Creek Miss Minnie
NiteCh GrCh Flint Creek Red Champ
NiteCh Guinns Rusty

Old Post 08-12-2016 12:50 AM
Danny McCleskey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Danny McCleskey Click here to Send Danny McCleskey a Private Message Click Here to Email Danny McCleskey Find more posts by Danny McCleskey Add Danny McCleskey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jim Hicks
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Danny McCleskey

Would not hunt or tree with another dog that was the least bit aggressive. A pretty decent dog overall.

OK just like Nitech Nate little Red Girl and Hicks Marlboro Red who was also out of woodpecker nice dog but couldn't handle it I'm seeing something that just keeps showing up.

MARLBORO RED KENNELS

Last edited by Jim Hicks on 08-12-2016 at 01:47 AM

Old Post 08-12-2016 01:41 AM
Jim Hicks
UKC Forum Member

I remember going up to Marlin Martens to go breed woodpecker to one of his females he wanted to see woodpecker go we told him we brought a 11 month old pup with us also (Hicks Marlboro Red) we turned them both loose together Red come tryed 100 yard to the left woodpecker 100 yards to the right we sat there a while then marlin said let's go to the pup badger said no he is good let's go to woodpecker we went and shot woodpeckers coon out marlin couldn't believe red didn't come into woodpecker coon he was fighting we then went into reds tree he had a coon also we shot it out and turned the pup red loose again but left woodpecker on the lead red went in there fast and got under another coon we turned woodpecker loose on the way into red tree woodpecker ran by red and got treed deeper he couldn't believe it I know he couldn't he said that dogs 11 months old I reply ed yep let's go to the house woodpecker breed one of his females I don't think he got any thing though never heard he seemed mad we shot his coon though.

MARLBORO RED KENNELS

Old Post 08-12-2016 02:13 AM
fdcooner
UKC Forum Member

I can't believe what I'm reading

Going through this thread and reading about CV woodpecker is great, I've always wanted to know a little more about him. I'll tell you what, hearing you guys describe Woodpecker is just crazy. I was lucky enough to buy a GrNtCh from Ron Allbee this spring and he is a grandson to Woodpecker out of the Snows Izzy Brush Buster II cross. GrNtCh Allbees Lil Ace is a dang carbon copy of Woodpecker. He is an absolute honest, independent, driven dog. He doesn't care what other dogs are doing, he does his own thing. He will not back another dog but doesn't care if one backs him. And once he's treed he isn't leaving, and if he isn't 100% accurate he's 95%. The only time I've not found a coon in his tree is during mid summer when the leaves are on and it's hard to find them sometimes. He's got a cold nose and takes his tracks as they come and they end with a coon. He's got the brains to work out an old nasty track and doesn't stand on his head not knowing what to do, there's been quite a few times where a dog has taken a track to a tree and he keeps going and ends up with the coon while the other dog is empty. And drive, yeah he's got plenty of that, he will tree a coon 30 yards in or a mile deep. He doesn't mess around when you cut him loose, he goes hunting. And at the end of the hunt he doesn't want to load up and go home, he wants to keep hunting. I've read a few times that the breed is lacking nose and drive, Ace has plenty of that and I feel like he needs to be bred to some good females. Maybe some of them T Top females that were mentioned earlier. If any one has any questions about Ace or might want to breed a good female to him feel free to private message me or text or call me at 515-408-1816.

GrNiteCh Allbees Little Ace
PR Gypsum Creek Shinin Red Ruby
PR Gypsum Creek Red Woody(Direct son of CedarValley Woodpecker)

Last edited by fdcooner on 08-18-2016 at 07:50 PM

Old Post 08-18-2016 05:01 AM
fdcooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fdcooner Click here to Send fdcooner a Private Message Click Here to Email fdcooner Find more posts by fdcooner Add fdcooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jim Hicks
UKC Forum Member

Read your post and stud ad that's outstanding you got a good one going back to woodpecker as I can see the independents is still there but is getting evened out that is one of my goals. If you do a little research you will find a dog named Little River Rock and another one named Damon or something like that I think they are littermates to yours or breed similar it's been awhile since I researched all this. I have seen some outstanding dogs breed this way with woodpecker I would have the say brush buster stuff works with woodpecker there is also Grnitech Morgan's Midnight Ryder who I believe is breed similar also I have heard of a outstanding pup out of him that's Grnite but I never hunted with that one. I also never have problems with drive and accraccy. When my dog trees there's a coon there I keep hearing about drive and heart never have a problem there just end up with to much independents I'm good now things have evened out and I also have a top dog going back to woodpecker.

MARLBORO RED KENNELS

Old Post 08-18-2016 10:48 PM
Jim Hicks
UKC Forum Member

MARLBORO RED KENNELS

Old Post 08-18-2016 10:49 PM
Jim Hicks
UKC Forum Member

My problem is I have lost all interest in competition hunting I don't like what I'm seeing don't like how people are breeding don't like we're you can take a dog or dogs and just dominate a major hunt and not have a single person shake your hand. I call fellow redbone hunters to see if they want to turn loose over the weekend only for them to say you have to draw me to hunt. Or a partner so jelousy of what hard work you have done running pups that your truck breaks down before nationals so he leaves you sitting at home eliminateing the competition. If I ever get the drive back myself to hit the competition world again you better believe I will be packing one hell of woodpecker breed dog but you never know he may just sit here as a pr dog.

MARLBORO RED KENNELS

Old Post 08-18-2016 11:07 PM
Jack Bingham
UKC Forum Member

I hope when i use this Woodpecker semen I get all the independence,heart and drive I keep hearing about.

Jim it is interesting reading your comments.

A screw up on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.

HOME OF

GRNitech PKC Platinum CH PR Mosquito Creek Danno's Buggs 2018 American Redbone Champion. 2019 World Champion Female. 2020 PURINA NATIONALS CH.

GRNITE CH Mosquito Creek Hank 2020 top 100

NITE CH SILVER CH Jersey Girl 2020 Top 100

GRNITE CH SILVER CH. Wipeout Small Pox 2020 Top 100

NITECH River Valley Rain

R.I.P.
GRNitech PKC CH GRCH Awesome Mosquito Crk. Lick 2016 World Champion Redbone Female

R.I.P.
DUAL GRAND PR ANDREWS MOSQUITO CREEK GO MAN SAM DNA-P

R.I.P.
GRNITECH PR Thunder creek Squeller 2cast wins NRCA. 4 cast wins AKC qualified for AKC 2009,2010,2011 world hunt. Qualified for 2008,2009 and 2010 UKC worlds. World Finalist at the 2010 UKC Worlds. Money won in PKC

R.I.P. NITECH PR Faith's Image ( 3-UKC 1st) cast win at NRCA 6TH AT ARCA Money won in PKC

Look us up on Facebook: Mosquito Creek Redbones

Old Post 08-18-2016 11:10 PM
Jack Bingham is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jack Bingham Click here to Send Jack Bingham a Private Message Click Here to Email Jack Bingham Visit Jack Bingham's homepage! Find more posts by Jack Bingham Add Jack Bingham to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jim Hicks
UKC Forum Member

Thanks Jack I have plenty more to share millions of pup pictures out of woodpecker and story's to go along with them. Sorry about the negative comments just kept my mouth shut over the years so long I guess I'm getting vocal now.

I feel with the right ingredients a world beater in the making is sitting in the woodpecker blood but it runs strong and needs used wisely. I don't think it will be directly out of woodpecker but I feel something further back were a individual or individuals correct some issues in the blood without watering it down.

MARLBORO RED KENNELS

Last edited by Jim Hicks on 08-19-2016 at 12:13 AM

Old Post 08-18-2016 11:32 PM
Jim Hicks
UKC Forum Member

Anybody got the Red Hot and Greasy ad I seen years ago in bloodlines I like to see it posted I haven't seen it in years.

MARLBORO RED KENNELS

Old Post 08-19-2016 12:25 AM
RedDogsRule
UKC Forum Member

Woodpecker blood

I have a double woodpecker bred male out of half brother half sister cross Henkels Just Dandy and Snows Izzy cross the old man's about 11 years old not a world beater but solid coondog when he trees the meats there haven't hunted with any other woodpecker bred dogs but sure pleased with him. Also have a pup out of him tht has 3 shots woodpecker in him only got to take him handful of times last winter but at 6 months old 1st night out he treed with my old dog looking forward to see how he comes along this kill season

GRCH"pr"Hatcher Girls Whistlin' Dixie
~*CH at 7 months old!!*~

GRCH"pr"Hatchers Rowdy Ole Red

"pr"Stroud's Secret Agent Crook HTX
~6th place win in UKC~

Old Post 08-19-2016 02:10 AM
RedDogsRule is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RedDogsRule Click here to Send RedDogsRule a Private Message Click Here to Email RedDogsRule Find more posts by RedDogsRule Add RedDogsRule to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote