UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Lets find who is really OLD.
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Lets find who is really OLD.

I don't have enough time to come close to listing all the different ways we can keep up with Coon Hound information today. The world of coon hunting is at our finger tips on any computer, tablet or phone.

Where I want to go with this is see how many remember just using the Coon Hound Magazines and the Telephone.
Some parts of the country the local coffee shop was the main stay of information. Just not enough enough coon hunters in my area for that to be effective. lol

For me it was the telephone and I will say that in my life I have been fairly discipline on not wasting money and spending money on things that took away from my Family. There was one thing and it was the TELEPHONE. Many youngsters have never paid for a long distance call. Don't know what that would be like. Back in the 60's and 70's the typical phone bill was around 15-20 bucks. Now every long distance call was charged according to the time spent on the line. My telephone charges was always at least $100 and many times $200 a month. All to coon hunters around the country. My wife was never happy about that. That was back when the car and house payments were in the $200 range. Not the telephone charges. LOL
The magazines were also read from cover to cover. The American Cooner, Full Cry and then UKC came out with the bloodlines. I would think the bloodlines came out in the early 80's. It was like maybe a dozen pages long.

So how many old times have spent more money than they should have talking cross country to other coon hunters.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-04-2019 01:40 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roy Grant
UKC Forum Member

Guilty. Borrowed 2000.00 dollars to buy a blk n tan female, while on strike at work. I was married with 2 little girls. Best money I ever spent.

Old Post 07-04-2019 01:52 PM
Roy Grant is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Grant Click here to Send Roy Grant a Private Message Click Here to Email Roy Grant Find more posts by Roy Grant Add Roy Grant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I got three long time freinds in different states I talk to daily. We are all about the same age so we got a lot in common. I got four freinds I have hunted and fished with for 35+ years locally.

I got a flip phone I never get the minutes used up on.

Tar

Old Post 07-04-2019 02:12 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Bruce this is a true story I shouldn't tell but it's on myself. 45 years ago on my wife birthday I had saved up $35 which was a lot for us at the time. I asked her if she wanted to go to town and buy a birthday present but she wasn't feeling well. Well that night I went hunting and bought a dog (for $35) and had nothing left for the present. She should have killed me but we are still married celebrateing number 49 this year. I will tell you I have never done anything that stupid again (at least I hope not but there are a couple more stories). By the way I shot the dog.

Old Post 07-04-2019 03:57 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pigsit
UKC Forum Member

Yeah. I know the feeling. I lived in a small town had an off brand telephone company, I knew coon hunters all over the country, a cheap phone bill was $200. The magazines were full of ads for dogs for sale and stud dogs, I remember picking up a Cooner one month there were five stud dog ads on dogs that I had owned at one time or another. Now if there is a dog for sale, they don't give you any information, and certainly no phone number. I guess you're suppose to just send a check and hope for the best.

Dual GRNTCH Wendy
GRNTCH Cola
GrNtCH Honky Tonk Rock and Roll
Dual GRCH Bumper
Dual CH June
Dual CH Jill

Old Post 07-04-2019 04:00 PM
pigsit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pigsit Click here to Send pigsit a Private Message Click Here to Email pigsit Find more posts by pigsit Add pigsit to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ed Mauney
UKC Forum Member

Yes Sir

Been there done that. Not proud of it but I did. Lol

Old Post 07-04-2019 04:48 PM
Ed Mauney is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ed Mauney Click here to Send Ed Mauney a Private Message Click Here to Email Ed Mauney Find more posts by Ed Mauney Add Ed Mauney to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rolin Blues
UKC Forum Member

Come on Ed

Lets' hear the whole story. Mary ain't gonna get on here to read about it anyway!! Time for us 'old timers' to "fess" up.

At 72 yrs old, I've coon hunted my whole life. Dad always had grade dogs. In 1960, he tried a pb blue dog for $150, but took it back. I cried all way home because I had fallen in love with the dog. SO, next night we drove back down to Calamus, Iowa & brought him home. Had a lot of really good dogs thru the years, but I would give anything to have one like him today- sounded like hog squelling on track, but the 1st long smooth bawl you heard, it was over. That was a lot of money back then for a dog & $2 hides. Killed 100+ coon over him for the next 5 yrs. & raised 3 more generations after him, finally single registered the last one as an English dog. Started comp. hunting in 1970, so spent lots of money hunting grade casts.

After buying farm in 1980 & having 3 kids, I wanted to get back into reg. blue dogs. Even with farm economy going into tank, I scraped together $1000 & bought a female out of OK. called Babe, which I made a GrNtCh. Been hunting them ever since.

Your right Bruce, I couldn't Wait for next copies of mags to hit the mailbox. Read every page from front to back & then over again till next months came. Only got 1 real DUD out of ads from MK Green in Arkansas. Me & Joe East, dog supply guy bought both dogs from same ad & neither 1 was worth a ****. Never got our money back, along with a lot of other guys & some of you other 'old timers' might remember this story, but did get him arrested by FBI & put in jail for mail fraud because of mag ads going across state lines. That's all for now. Take care, Ron.

Old Post 07-04-2019 05:31 PM
Rolin Blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rolin Blues Click here to Send Rolin Blues a Private Message Find more posts by Rolin Blues Add Rolin Blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

When I started coon hunting Bill Boatman's six cell light with the glow ring around the lens was the best light going. I bought one and thought I was in hog heaven!

Old Post 07-04-2019 08:33 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

Phone when I was a kid ! it was a luxury to have ! we would have to walk 5 mile just to get to the country store where they had the only phone close by. you all were lucky back then. not so lucky today because you just got old. lol.

Old Post 07-04-2019 10:56 PM
CHEWBACH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHEWBACH Click here to Send CHEWBACH a Private Message Find more posts by CHEWBACH Add CHEWBACH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sox12
UKC Forum Member

how many of you fellas remember the ole crank phones? Full Cry, American cooner, and every other months or three months the had a little bloodlines book, back then the books were around four dollars a year

CH Nt. Ch.PR Wandering Red & RR Bucksaw (GRCHGRNTCH Raged Ridge Rip X Grand Nite Raged Ridge Toadie )
GRNTCH.GRCh.PR Steffes' Whizz Bang[GRNTCH Big Walnut BooneXGRNTCH Raged Ridge Toadie]
GRCH.Wandering Red Pepper
GRCH.Wandering Red Honeys Sweety Pie

RIP
GR.NT.CH.GR.CH.PR Steffes wandering Red Tinkerbell {GRCHGRNTCH Raged Ridge RipsawXGRNTCH Ragged Ridge Toadie]

Last edited by sox12 on 07-05-2019 at 03:15 AM

Old Post 07-05-2019 12:06 AM
sox12 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sox12 Click here to Send sox12 a Private Message Click Here to Email sox12 Find more posts by sox12 Add sox12 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cry Tough Blues
UKC Forum Member

Heck yeah I remember those days waiting on Full Cry to hit the mailbox. Thst mag used to be the best

Old Post 07-05-2019 01:12 AM
Cry Tough Blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cry Tough Blues Click here to Send Cry Tough Blues a Private Message Find more posts by Cry Tough Blues Add Cry Tough Blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

In 1967 I hauled a female to Clinton, Kentucky and bred to House's Chief.

Old Post 07-05-2019 03:05 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
In 1967 I hauled a female to Clinton, Kentucky and bred to House's Chief.
did you get pups? Either way it's cool.

Old Post 07-05-2019 01:33 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Driftwoodblue
UKC Forum Member

old?

Bruce, do you not remember reading Mountain Music magazines?
Nuff said.

Old Post 07-05-2019 01:39 PM
Driftwoodblue is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Driftwoodblue Click here to Send Driftwoodblue a Private Message Find more posts by Driftwoodblue Add Driftwoodblue to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Sorry, I don't. Mainly the Corner, Full Cry and Bloodlines when it came out.
Full Cry had more stories, back in the deep woods kind of theme. It was an old timers magazine back then. Not saying that negatively.
American Cooner was the one place to keep up with current events. Who had the next great stud dog.

I know we each had our own methods of reading the American Cooner. Mine was in this order.

1. Dale Branderbuger - Rules Corner. I actually knew the rules back then. Not today.
2. I would read the small classified in the back next.
3. I would read upcoming hunts.
4. Then I would start on the Stud Ads. Ads without pedigrees never turned me on then and still don't today.
5. Then Breed association news and different State association news.
6. Emet Brohard came along in what 70's or 80's. Enjoyed reading his thoughts.
7. Always looked for Ralph Capehart and the Planned Genetic Breeders discussions. Seen several of those hounds and they were planned about like the rest of them. But he did right some interesting thoughts.
I use to be able to lay on the couch with the phone in my ear and discuss ad after ad and page after page of each months magazine. Back then I could remember what page most of the articles were on and while discussing them. I would tell a buddy. Go to page so and so and look what was being said. Wish I had that memory today.
One thing I always looked at was each magazine ( I think by law) had to put a subscription number in there somewhere. It was a small box generally in the first few pages around the table of contents.
Got my first Real LOL light from an add that always ran inside the back cover. Maybe on the back of the back cover but anyways it was a $49 gell cell nite light. Worked good till one night at a hunt I bragged on it. Never worked since.
I had years and years of them magazines in the closet. They got some type of mite and when I would drag them down to read them. I would start itching. Finally with my wife encouragement. Threw years and years of magazines away.
Now it is the internet and one cyber attack can wipe all my coon hunting information. LOL

Think I owe a big Thanks to Terry Walker who is behind publishing these magazines. If I had a quarter for every minute I spent reading one of them over the years. I probably could retire. LOl

Last edited by Bruce m. Conkey on 07-05-2019 at 02:21 PM

Old Post 07-05-2019 02:00 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Re: old?

quote:
Originally posted by Driftwoodblue
Bruce, do you not remember reading Mountain Music magazines?
Nuff said.

I still got a Eddie Ross mountain music jacket I won at the NKC texas state hunt back in the early 80,s for 2nd place.

Tar

Old Post 07-05-2019 02:03 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by pamjohnson
did you get pups? Either way it's cool.
Only three made it to grown dogs, but they were all nice coon hounds.

Old Post 07-05-2019 03:18 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
crooked ridge
UKC Forum Member

When I started coon hunting Bill Boatman's six cell light with the glow ring around the lens was the best light going. I bought one and thought I was in hog heaven!

Dynalight, had one. Also bought a BT pup off 1975 world champion. Pup was a pot licker , took it back and was asked if I wanted my money or another pup. There was I'd say at least a dozen females tied , all with pups. I got my money and ran.

Old Post 07-05-2019 05:24 PM
crooked ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for crooked ridge Click here to Send crooked ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email crooked ridge Find more posts by crooked ridge Add crooked ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

Bruce,

When I was growing up, and I went somewhere on my own. My dad would have me call at a prearranged time. I was instructed to call collect, and to only let the phone ring 3 times and hang up. If someone by mistake answered the phone, they would decline accepting the charge. That way my family knew I arrived safe and o.k.

Like you I had to watch my budget. I used good ole snail mail the most to keep in contact with fellow coon hunters. probably the most I used the phone was in the early 1990s.

Today, I hardly use a phone at all.

Tar,

I have a prepaid flip phone and I have 1080.42 minutes on it today. Of course that will jump in 4 days as I need to pay for my upcoming time period.

Aim small miss small

Old Post 07-05-2019 05:53 PM
Larry Atherton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Atherton Click here to Send Larry Atherton a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Atherton Visit Larry Atherton's homepage! Find more posts by Larry Atherton Add Larry Atherton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rex W Sims
UKC Forum Member

when I was a kid we were on a party line with 8 other families ,boy you sure had to watch what you said on the phone or the whole neighborhood knew it......

Old Post 07-05-2019 06:41 PM
Rex W Sims is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rex W Sims Click here to Send Rex W Sims a Private Message Click Here to Email Rex W Sims Find more posts by Rex W Sims Add Rex W Sims to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Rex W Sims
when I was a kid we were on a party line with 8 other families ,boy you sure had to watch what you said on the phone or the whole neighborhood knew it......

Two of them older ladies in our neighborhood lived right next to each other and they stayed on the phone all day and night lol.

Tar

Old Post 07-05-2019 06:48 PM
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by crooked ridge
Dynalight, had one. Also bought a BT pup off 1975 world champion. Pup was a pot licker , took it back and was asked if I wanted my money or another pup. There was I'd say at least a dozen females tied , all with pups. I got my money and ran.

Crooked ridge, you're right there t was a Dynalite. One of the "Old guys" that got me into coon hunting in the 1st place ordered it for me from Bill Boarman's catalog.

Old Post 07-05-2019 08:13 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
stevwallace
UKC Forum Member

Remember first two coons me and buddy treed was with cur-walker dog and a collie. This was in 60's. Found them with a lantern. Dad had went to Georgia to hunt and took the flash lights. Mom wouldn't let me go with him for some reason that I can't recall; think it was cause I was to little but as soon as we went " behind the house" we cut out for a holler with creek running out of clinch mountain that was bout mile from house. Think first magazine Dad got was Fur Fish and Game or something like that. Loved the bobcat stories.

Old Post 07-06-2019 01:55 AM
stevwallace is offline Click Here to See the Profile for stevwallace Click here to Send stevwallace a Private Message Click Here to Email stevwallace Find more posts by stevwallace Add stevwallace to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
crooked ridge
UKC Forum Member

Think first magazine Dad got was Fur Fish and Game or something like that. Loved the bobcat stories. They still publish FF&G, I subscribe to it. I like it as well as I did years ago.

Old Post 07-06-2019 02:56 AM
crooked ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for crooked ridge Click here to Send crooked ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email crooked ridge Find more posts by crooked ridge Add crooked ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rolin Blues
UKC Forum Member

Rex

Same around our house. Ya picked up phone carefully so they didn't hear a click, then listened quietly to catch neighborhood news. Real up grade with circular dial on phone, then touch tone type phone. Now lots of people don't even have a 'land line' or name in phone book!! Take care, Ron.

Old Post 07-06-2019 03:23 AM
Rolin Blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rolin Blues Click here to Send Rolin Blues a Private Message Find more posts by Rolin Blues Add Rolin Blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote