UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Yes or no but you can elaborate
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Jeff Prince
UKC Forum Member

Yes or no but you can elaborate

Have you had your best dog? Or do you think your best dog is yet to come?
I've had mine I'm sure. I quit a few years because I knew I'd peaked .😕

Last edited by Jeff Prince on 09-07-2019 at 05:54 AM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-07-2019 05:44 AM
Jeff Prince is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jeff Prince Click here to Send Jeff Prince a Private Message Click Here to Email Jeff Prince Find more posts by Jeff Prince Add Jeff Prince to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert Johnson
UKC Forum Member

The best for me is long gone now, and so are my comp hunting days. The trash I have now is plum embarrassing, and this old guys drive is missing a gear or two.

Johnson Creek Kennels
home of:
UKC Grand Nite Champion "PR" Yadkin River Addkis. Deceased 12/11/2016 RIP

2009/2010/2011/2012 AKC GA. State Leader and Supreme Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

2010 ACHA Georgia State Champion Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

PKC Champion Yadkin River Addkis

Bright Eye Lights

Treeing Walkers

912-663-5287 cell (perfered)

Old Post 09-07-2019 05:55 AM
Robert Johnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Robert Johnson Click here to Send Robert Johnson a Private Message Click Here to Email Robert Johnson Find more posts by Robert Johnson Add Robert Johnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jeff Prince
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Robert Johnson
The best for me is long gone now, and so are my comp hunting days. The trash I have now is plum embarrassing, and this old guys drive is missing a gear or two.

Lol what if a winner put that spark in you ? I know the real deal would get me off the phone and in the woods 😄

Old Post 09-07-2019 06:06 AM
Jeff Prince is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jeff Prince Click here to Send Jeff Prince a Private Message Click Here to Email Jeff Prince Find more posts by Jeff Prince Add Jeff Prince to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Jeff Prince

I know that I already have had my best, like I mentioned in your other post I have only owned 3 dogs that I called a coondog and 1 of them I currently own. He is almost 14 years old (Dec) and over the hill just like me. Lol. I really don't expect to own another one that matches either of the 3 coondog I have owned. I would like to think so, but the odds are against that happening. Dave

Old Post 09-07-2019 08:45 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Maybe your best dog was because you were at your best. It is hard to have a best dog and hunt once a week. I think that my best dog is yet to come but I claim all of the dogs born at my house as "my dogs".

Old Post 09-07-2019 03:58 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Maybe your best dog was because you were at your best. It is hard to have a best dog and hunt once a week.

That's pretty much where I'm at. I'm only 50 but 200 nights a year for 30 years will take some wind out of your sails. I don't like the style of dog that seems to becoming accepted as the norm esp to complete so I'm becoming more of a fair weather pleasure hunter every year.

Richard its probably a coincidence but this transition happened about the same time these redbones showed back up in my yard lol

Old Post 09-07-2019 04:38 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

The days of comp hunting your good pleasure hound or pleasure hunting your good comp dog are over. We will become just like the rabbit dog guys. We will have gun dogs and we will have field trial dogs.
But these younger comp hunters don't pleasure hunt anyway. They are either comp hunting or dog training.

Old Post 09-07-2019 04:46 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

X2 Richard

Old Post 09-07-2019 05:31 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Depends on what you like I guess. I like a dog that can absolutely run any track cold or hot. And have the grease at the end. I can enjoy pleasure hunting them or I can take them to town and win with them. Don’t have to train them they are born that way it’s easyier to breed for it than to beat it into them. Just go to parents that were naturally born that way. And throw it in their pups. I don’t like a slow dog track or tree.

It’s worked for me.

Tar

Old Post 09-07-2019 05:47 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
.....It’s worked for me.
Tar

Oh my goodness.... Do I have to even say anything?

Old Post 09-07-2019 05:58 PM
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Oh my goodness.... Do I have to even say anything?

Just because I don’t drive 16 hrs to get beat with an average dog. Don’t mean I ain’t got some heat. Several have come and hunted and found out come on down it will be worth your trip. And you will be hunting dogs that are sleeping in the same dog houses their parents and ansesters have. All titled !!

Tar

Old Post 09-07-2019 06:05 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

Oh my goodness.

Old Post 09-07-2019 06:26 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

Re: Yes or no but you can elaborate

quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Prince
Have you had your best dog? Or do you think your best dog is yet to come?
I've had mine I'm sure. I quit a few years because I knew I'd peaked .😕

I believe that you can learn something from all the dogs that you've owned. Even the CULLS! When I ask someone about their dogs bloodline and they proudly elaborate on their dogs ancestors that you have personally hunted with and know that you are comparing apples to oranges. You cant get a superior dog from dogs that had no superior ancestors unless the papers were wrong.
If you've had your best dog then you are a quitter! Don't waste the knowledge you've gained in a lifetime. Pass it on and be an example for the hunters of tomorrow. Ken Risley

Old Post 09-07-2019 11:10 PM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Adams, Harold
UKC Forum Member

Had my best one about 20 years ago. Should of quit then. I wouldn't be foolin' with a hound if it wasn't for grandkids and thankfully they are losing interest.

Old Post 09-07-2019 11:38 PM
Adams, Harold is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Adams, Harold Click here to Send Adams, Harold a Private Message Click Here to Email Adams, Harold Find more posts by Adams, Harold Add Adams, Harold to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Ken Risley

Don't measure your corn in another man's bushel. There is a big difference in being a quitter and a man being realistic. I have only owned 3 dogs in over 50 years that I call a coondog. At my age 70, I don't think that I will live long enough to own another coondog. I have always bought the best dog that I could find still will, they just aren't many that I call a coondog. My hunting buddy is nearly 82 and says he has only owned 3 that he called a coondog and he has hunted over 60 years. One of the 3 he has owned is one that I now own, so in reality that's only 5 coondog in a combined 110 years. With that said, how practical would it seem to think that I will ever own one better. Dave

Old Post 09-08-2019 12:21 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Ken Risley

Please elaborate on your statement that if one has had their best dog that they are a quitter. This statement makes absolutely no sense to me at all. Now if you are a breeder and want to sell dogs, it might make sense to think you are going to breed that super dog one day. Breeders have thought that from day one and it has not happened very often, it's only a carrot for the donkey to follow. Maybe a well meaning goal that one would like to achieve, but this has nothing to do with the OP question regarding ones best dog. Not everyone is a breeder or trying to improve a breed, some are just coonhunters that enjoy a true coondog. These folks like myself will never own a bunch of coon dogs, we are fortunate to ever own one that anyone would call a coondog. A true coondog sets the bar high and nothing short of that is ever good enough for those who have owned one. Now, that's why some of us are answering this post in the manner we are answering. Dave

Old Post 09-08-2019 05:03 AM
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Once upon a time I had built a good line of dogs and had a high percentage of pups that made good dogs...I had plenty of time to work, test and hunt pups....I looked for natural winding, trailing, finding and watching baying styles and also which pups had that natural calling to get gone once released in the woods...I took them to places where I could see if the water bothered them or not...I learned what body type made the best swimmers and it was the body style I liked best...back in those days I worked 12 hr shifts and my kids were in school and wife worked...so I was able to do the above mentioned things on my off days....EVERYTHING I LOOKED FOR IN A PUP WAS FOR NATURAL ABILITY...because natural ability begets more natural ability in a breeding program where all dogs are related and all have been selected using the same criteria...one day I gave all this up in 2007...my wife was very upset and told me I was making a big mistake when I got rid of what I had left and I should have listened...

In 2010 I decided to get back in the dog game...

Why I will never have my best again...

I don’t have access to training or testing pups close by other than having to travel...close by all places are posted or locked and residential neighborhoods have been built and some places have security guards because of the incident of 911... not only that but I do not have access to hunting spots as I once had...also trying to hold costs down in prepping for my retirement years...the dogs I have right now I like and I will breed a few litters from them and call it good... I do not think the breeding in them will give me the percentages I would like but moving forward...the potential is there to have good dogs...the challenge is the time needed and places to test aren’t as available as before...not to mention having access to as many hunting spots as before...

I do not have much patience when trying dogs...I do not believe in feeding lots of tracks to make a hunting dog...in my opinion it takes natural ability in a hunting dog and in having good hunting dogs...
Since 2010 I have culled countless mt curs and at least 5 Plotts...

Right now I have a well bred pup that sure is looking good out of parents and grandparents that were excellent hunting dogs...hoping she is it for the next few breedings in the future...
You would think since 2010 I would be where I needed to be with my dogs but not so...

Old Post 09-08-2019 09:50 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

Once In A Lietime Dog

If you have ever had a truly outstanding hound then I believe:
-You are in the minority of houndsmen
-You have knowledge that that others don't have so why not share it
-If you have had one, you realize that your next pup may be better than your past Once In A Lifetime hound
-When you quit trying that guarantees that you will never have another better than your past Once In A Lifetime hound of the past.

Old Post 09-08-2019 05:22 PM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Re: Once In A Lietime Dog

quote:
Originally posted by Kler Kry
If you have ever had a truly outstanding hound then I believe:
-You are in the minority of houndsmen
-You have knowledge that that others don't have so why not share it
-If you have had one, you realize that your next pup may be better than your past Once In A Lifetime hound
-When you quit trying that guarantees that you will never have another better than your past Once In A Lifetime hound of the past.

If a once in a lifetime dog reproduced himself then there wouldn’t be any once in a lifetime dogs because they would be somewhat common...the difference between a once in a lifetime dog and a great dog is brain power...

Old Post 09-08-2019 07:03 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lynn Tubbs
UKC Forum Member

I got mine, he is ten yrs old and I am 73 and when he is done, so am I.

Old Post 09-08-2019 08:00 PM
Lynn Tubbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lynn Tubbs Click here to Send Lynn Tubbs a Private Message Click Here to Email Lynn Tubbs Find more posts by Lynn Tubbs Add Lynn Tubbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Ken Risley

I agree with the 1 statement you made and that is if you have had a truly outstanding dog, you are in the minority. Most hunters WILL never have one like that, and if you have had more than 1 you are in elite company. Now please share with the rest of us, how such hunters could share this knowledge. Owning a truly top hound doesn't give one special knowledge to share with anyone. Men that know me and have hunted with the 3 dogs I owned that were definitely coon dogs in any man's book, will tell you they were the best they ever saw. How can I share any knowledge just because I owned those dogs. I was never a breeder, I was and am a coon hunter that knows and appreciates a top coonhound or coondog. Dave

Old Post 09-08-2019 08:29 PM
Ron Moore
UKC Forum Member

The Best??

If I thought I've already had the best I will ever have, I'd quit. That's not putting much faith in the folks out there trying to breed a better coon dog. I'm always looking for the next best thing and when I think I can't possibly have a better dog, one will pop up. Maybe this will be as good as it gets, maybe not, but I'll never know I quit trying.

Old Post 09-08-2019 09:16 PM
Ron Moore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Moore Click here to Send Ron Moore a Private Message Click Here to Email Ron Moore Find more posts by Ron Moore Add Ron Moore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Ron Moore

Have you ever owned a true coondog one that stood out from all the rest you had ever seen? A dog that amazed all that hunted with it, never had to make an excuse for, made treeing coon look easy, made good dogs look bad. When you get that kind of dog, you will know what some if us are saying. Now, there is always going to be another dog that comes along that measures up to that standard, but not very often and rarely does the same man have the good fortune to own more than one in a lifetime. I consider myself blessed to have owned 3 dogs that met my standards of being that kind if coondog. Dave

Last edited by Dave Richards on 09-08-2019 at 09:38 PM

Old Post 09-08-2019 09:26 PM
high ridge
UKC Forum Member

I pray to the Good Lord above that I haven’t had my best one yet.
I strive for a better dog everyday

I still pleasure hunt the dog I go to hunts with. Them eyeballs trump everything

Old Post 09-08-2019 11:32 PM
high ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for high ridge Click here to Send high ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email high ridge Find more posts by high ridge Add high ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

High ridge

Well, so hope you haven't had your best one yet, and I know that you have had some good ones. Looking for a needle in a haystack is hard, but sometimes you get lucky. I really believe that a man will know when he gets that dog of a lifetime, he won't need someone else's opinion. Dave

Old Post 09-09-2019 12:09 AM