UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Grain Free= Heart Disease..?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

Grain Free= Heart Disease..?

Interesting that the FDA is implying that there may be a link between heart disease and certain grain-free dogfood. You be the judge:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/dog-fo...-investigation/

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-30-2019 01:41 AM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Cory

I suspect that the problems are associated with the quality of the non grain items in these feeds. Hormone laced meat products, hormones not needed by healthily animals and are not killed by cooking. Imo. Dave

Old Post 06-30-2019 03:15 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

I'll be interested to see how this plays out. I jumped on the no corn, no grain bandwagon initially, but am reconsidering what I think I know about dogfood, and I'm trying to sort this all out like everyone else is. Several of the feeds listed that I recognize are "higher end" feeds, and it really makes me wonder about the quality (and quantity) of whatever may be replacing grain or corn in the feed I use.

Old Post 06-30-2019 04:05 AM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

It is starting to look like corn may be good for dogs after all. I wonder if the dog food companies just tried to brainwash everyone so they could charge more for meat based dog food when the price of corn went up? If corn is bad for dogs then why did we feed it for 100 yrs with no problems? We have only been feeding corn free or meat based for 10 yrs and we already have problems. If corn is bad for you, why are all of those corn fed Midwestern girls so pretty and so healthy?

Old Post 06-30-2019 12:54 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

Grains In Dog Food

Uncooked grains in dog foods are bad. Fully cooked and gelatinized starch in dog feed is a good source of natural energy, carbohydrates and vitamins which totally meat based foods may lack.

Old Post 06-30-2019 02:39 PM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oklared
UKC Forum Member

DOGS DO NOT EAT GRAIN NATURALY, NUFF SAID

HOME OF 2010 HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE, DUAL CH Y2KD, #7 REPRODUCING RED FEMALE
NT.Ch. WINNER AT REDBONE SEC. 2008
3RD PL. NT.CH. 2009 BATTLE OF BREEDS AT ADA OKLA.
4TH PLACE R.Q.E 2010
2ND PLACE OVERALL AT ZONE 4 AND DOUBLE CAST WINNER 2010
WENT TO 2010 WORLD HUNT
AMERICAN REDBONE ASSOCIATION HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE OF THE 2010 WORLD HUNT
OVERALL HI SCOREING DOG AT 2010 BBCHA BLUE TIC SECTIONAL
GR.NT.CH. AT 12 and A HALF
MADE-EM SEE RED

Old Post 06-30-2019 10:17 PM
oklared is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oklared Click here to Send oklared a Private Message Click Here to Email oklared Find more posts by oklared Add oklared to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by oklared
that's not all together true either.

Old Post 06-30-2019 10:37 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

A dog is carnivorous just like a wolf or coyote...in the wild they eat natural meat that is fresh and not contaminated with hormones and that poison they give animals to put them down...and other medications in trying to save an animal and when they die they make them into dog food...don’t know this as fact but have read comments of this nature in the past...

Carnivores are meat eaters yet when a rabbit is caught by a coyote the internals are eaten as well...the intervals is predigested and digested vegetation on account rabbits are vegetarian...right now it seems the dog foods with corn in them are the lesser of the two negatives...

I have been using a corn based dog food and the dogs are doing well...I am also thinking a raw chicken quarter twice a week along with the corn based dog food...

Old Post 07-01-2019 01:09 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

I watched one of my coonhounds years ago pull ears of corn off the stocks and eat it many nights when hunting. Her mother I had to watch closely if she was loose in the yard she'd take ripe tomatoes off the vines in the garden and eat them. Heave had a number of dogs that would eat wild apples too. Dogs will eat a lot of things that many people don't realize they do.

Old Post 07-01-2019 01:51 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

Now days if the animal, beef or whatever it may be if it can't stand up on it's own without any help it may not be used for dog food.
Even wolves, coyote, fox will eat corn, berries, vegetation, acorns etc.

Old Post 07-01-2019 01:51 AM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by pamjohnson
Now days if the animal, beef or whatever it may be if it can't stand up on it's own without any help it may not be used for dog food.
Even wolves, coyote, fox will eat corn, berries, vegetation, acorns etc.

Yes they do but they are in the carnivores group... I am thinking that they are missing certain nutrients when they eat this way or maybe they are just hungry...

If we were to feed a dog straight corn he wouldn’t do very well...

Old Post 07-01-2019 02:30 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Feed

Animals need protein and carbs just like humans do, meat is protein and does not provide the carbs needed. Animals will eat berries and grain if given a chance. Dog feed with protein and a source of carbs is a better choice than a straight protein or meat based diet, just saying! Dave

Old Post 07-01-2019 03:20 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Driftwoodblue
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by DL NH
I watched one of my coonhounds years ago pull ears of corn off the stocks and eat it many nights when hunting. Her mother I had to watch closely if she was loose in the yard she'd take ripe tomatoes off the vines in the garden and eat them. Heave had a number of dogs that would eat wild apples too. Dogs will eat a lot of things that many people don't realize they do.

I have trail camera pictures of coyotes eating lots of apples under my trees.. also a few years back a fellow called me about "coons' eating his sweet corn..LOL! yes I did catch some there 13 to be exact but the damage continued...
after a pretty good rain I went down to see what was going on.. I found lots of coyote tracks there and in the patch I found a pile of corn ears that the tracks clearly showed the coyotes had brought them to one spot to eat them...
they will eat about anything.

I think where corn gets a bad name is it is often not cooked to provide optimum nutrition.I visited with one fellow that has a dog food company and runs english pointers.. I ask him about the no grain vs the formulas using grain.. the told me point blank he feeds the type with corn in it and that a lot of the push for grain free was so some promoters could charge more.

I know the first good hound I has got a lot of ground corn cooked with water and just a bit of meat and bone meal in it,, sometimes he got a half rabbit---- lots of tape worms with that! he did live to be 13 years old.

Old Post 07-01-2019 02:03 PM
Driftwoodblue is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Driftwoodblue Click here to Send Driftwoodblue a Private Message Find more posts by Driftwoodblue Add Driftwoodblue to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

My wife has a little terrier mix that will eat almost anything that you drop in the floor while cooking. She loves raw carrots. She also loves corn, especially popcorn. She loves Fritoes and will eat potatoes but prefers potatoe chips. But she won't eat onions. Canned green beans are great for a sick or pregnant dog. As I said, dog food companies are using "meat based" to sell us higher priced dog food and make more money. "Meat based" sounds great and a picture of a wolf on the bag looks great but I bet that they don't have any real research that shows it is better for dogs than grain based. The vegetarians have been trying to tell us for years that red meat is not good for us.

Old Post 07-01-2019 02:21 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Autumn Clements
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by oklared

They don’t eat potatoes or lentils though either

'PR'LEAD'S MIDNITE SASSY
CFC CH Canadian GCH Multi Group Placing MBPIG BBPIG LEGACYK STANNYFIELD PRIME TIME (AKC & UKC Pointed)
BPIG MBBPIG WINDAMIRS RED LIGHT DISTRICT V AMBERLANE
LEGACYK DARE TO DREAM V CBLUES
LEGACYK WHITE AS A GHOST V CBLUES

Gone but not forgotten
GRNITECH GRCH PKC CH'PR'CLEMENTS' BLUE PRANCER

GRNITECH GRCH'PR'SPIKE'S TWILITE HOOKER
'PR'PRANCER'S GETTIN DOWN N DIRTY (PrancerxHooker)
NITECH CH’PR’BUELL’S BLUE ROCKY(Whitey x Spice)

CKC BBPIG MARIES BABY BREEZE

Old Post 07-01-2019 05:27 PM
Autumn Clements is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Autumn Clements Click here to Send Autumn Clements a Private Message Click Here to Email Autumn Clements Find more posts by Autumn Clements Add Autumn Clements to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Autumn Clements
UKC Forum Member

I don’t think there’s any actual proof that grain free is directly linked to heart disease. I know multiple people who have feed grain free foods for quite some time with no issues, some having breeds known for DCM.
I wish I could feed completely raw but don’t have the knowledge, resources or money to do so. Mine currently eat Acana and Purina Pro Plan.

'PR'LEAD'S MIDNITE SASSY
CFC CH Canadian GCH Multi Group Placing MBPIG BBPIG LEGACYK STANNYFIELD PRIME TIME (AKC & UKC Pointed)
BPIG MBBPIG WINDAMIRS RED LIGHT DISTRICT V AMBERLANE
LEGACYK DARE TO DREAM V CBLUES
LEGACYK WHITE AS A GHOST V CBLUES

Gone but not forgotten
GRNITECH GRCH PKC CH'PR'CLEMENTS' BLUE PRANCER

GRNITECH GRCH'PR'SPIKE'S TWILITE HOOKER
'PR'PRANCER'S GETTIN DOWN N DIRTY (PrancerxHooker)
NITECH CH’PR’BUELL’S BLUE ROCKY(Whitey x Spice)

CKC BBPIG MARIES BABY BREEZE

Old Post 07-01-2019 05:31 PM
Autumn Clements is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Autumn Clements Click here to Send Autumn Clements a Private Message Click Here to Email Autumn Clements Find more posts by Autumn Clements Add Autumn Clements to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

My friend set up a trail camera to see what was eating the oranges off his trees. It was coyotes.

Old Post 07-01-2019 05:53 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jay Chadwick
UKC Forum Member

GMO Grains? Closing down the US horse slaughter market? idk...

Old Post 07-01-2019 08:01 PM
Jay Chadwick is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jay Chadwick Click here to Send Jay Chadwick a Private Message Click Here to Email Jay Chadwick Find more posts by Jay Chadwick Add Jay Chadwick to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cleo
UKC Forum Member

I have 3, 15 year olds that have survived their entire lives on Pro Plan and occasional pieces of rabbit poop from yard scavenging.

Go figure.....

~A man is only as good as his word~

Proud home to;

'PR' Kentucky River Fly Again (Kentucky River Rowdy frozen semen)
ACHA CHT x3 Broken Roads Little Texas (Kentucky River Rowdy x Houses Lipper's Hope)
CH Broken Roads Southern Stylish Boom (Kentucky River Rowdy x Houses Lipper's Hope)
Broken Road's Rowdy Lil Miss (Kentucky River Rowdy x Houses Lipper's Hope)
Broken Road's Meabie I will (Lipper's Rooster x Missy)
Broken Roads IMA Boomer2 (UKC NATL GRCH GRNTCH Honest Abe x Broken Roads Southern Stylish Boom
~~~~~Watch out!~~~~~
They just might make an IMPACT!

and the girls...Punkin and Tater!

Gone by never forgotten ~ Fly high my beautiful angels
~ GRCH GNTCH PKC SC Toucan Sam
~CH Toucan's Ugly Betty
~ CCH CH Southforks September Rain
~ Martin's Daisy JJ (what a beautiful litter you left behind)
~ Luke, the lab who brought us so many doves and ducks over the years
~ UKC GRCH,ACHA CH 2014 LWCH 2014 2 x's ACHA YOUTH WCH AKC CH AKC CH 'PR' Kentucky River Mundar ~ (Kentucky River Rowdy frozen semen) DNA Profiled ~ Fly high, old friend.

"The WILL of God will never take you where the GRACE of God can not protect you!"

Old Post 07-01-2019 09:38 PM
Cleo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cleo Click here to Send Cleo a Private Message Find more posts by Cleo Add Cleo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

gotta laugh at some of the posts people make about dog feed/ to way they stand to pee. lot of unknown knowledge on this board. fig just feed them what ever they will eat. worked for decades before so many people got educated about dogs

Old Post 07-01-2019 10:31 PM
CHEWBACH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHEWBACH Click here to Send CHEWBACH a Private Message Find more posts by CHEWBACH Add CHEWBACH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
harleydan1956
UKC Forum Member

Canton, ohio
330-904-3392

Home of:
Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Moonlight Serenade... Gr. Ch. Nite Ch PR Hillbillys Smokey River Dutch HTX X Gr. Ch. Nite CH. PR Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara
Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Lil Bit of Respect.... Ch. Nite Ch PR Shivers' Magic Lead X GR. Ch. Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Betty Jane
PR. Lethal Blue Tayen Grace..... Nite Ch. Pr Coffins creek running J.R. X Gr Ch Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Moonlite Serenade.

Gone but never forgotten
Gr. Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara... Dual Gr. Ch PR Bowens Blue Deuce X Ch. Nite Ch. PR Becky.

Gr Ch Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Betty Jane...... PR. Crites Soggy Bottom Blue Banjo X PR. Mosquito Creek Tree mamma Sis

Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Rattlin Samantha ... Dual Gr Ch PR Mid Ohio Rattlin Sam X Gr Ch PR. Lethal Blue Jet's Xena

Gr. Ch. Nite Ch Hillbilly's Smokey River Blue Dutch HTX..... Gr. Ch. Gr. Nite Ch Pr. Smokey River Tramp's Blue Lake and Pr. Misty River Blue Doll III.
(Dutch wasn't ours, but he was here and like one of the family)

Pr. Dan's little Porter.... my last beagle...

Old Post 07-01-2019 10:42 PM
harleydan1956 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for harleydan1956 Click here to Send harleydan1956 a Private Message Click Here to Email harleydan1956 Find more posts by harleydan1956 Add harleydan1956 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

Re: Grains In Dog Food

quote:
Originally posted by Kler Kry
Uncooked grains in dog foods are bad. Fully cooked and gelatinized starch in dog feed is a good source of natural energy, carbohydrates and vitamins which totally meat based foods may lack.

I spent 34 years designing, managing, operating large animal feed manufacturings. The main problem with all meat dog food manufacturing is the there is a wide margin of quality between semi-loads of meat ingredients. It is not uncommon for the laboratory analysis to vary 20%. This results in a wide variation in the analysis of the dog food. Manufacturer often formulate the food using the low level of the ingredient as they have to meet a minimum guaranteed analysis. But if the meat meal is 20% higher than normal in analysis then the food can have undesireable effects on the dog. etc. iodine, salt as well as protein, fat and fiber. Plant origin ingredient and manufactured food ingredients have a much lower analysis variable of 3% or less. The analysis of the dog food id usually not back from the laboratory before ol' Rover eats it.

Old Post 07-04-2019 11:22 PM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ghost14
UKC Forum Member

So in other words, dog food companies went to plant based proteins because they are more easily manufactured due to having less variability. Or more easily standardized thus having a more stable quality control. So what started out as a noble idea in meat based foods, became a logistical nightmare once they started manufacturing it. Having to find a way to cut corners to keep cost affordable or worse yet use a product that can have 20% swings in the nutritional range.
Sounds exactly like every business model I’ve ever seen. They marketed it beautifully too. To bad, we as a public are so prone to jump on the bandwagon. Maybe we could have avoided all these thyroid problems and health issues. Not to mention those who discovered another upper with the newfound thyroid pill availability.
Glad mine still eat good ol’ corn based dog food. Not sure I could keep up with them if they had a specialty feed!

Old Post 07-05-2019 06:13 PM
Ghost14 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ghost14 Click here to Send Ghost14 a Private Message Click Here to Email Ghost14 Find more posts by Ghost14 Add Ghost14 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

I bought two bags of Purina Dog Chow today. That makes about 60 years in a row. They're fat and slick and tree coons. I never won the world hunt but, I hunt blue ticks so it's probably not the dog food"s fault.

Old Post 07-06-2019 12:52 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote