UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Coon Movement
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
AAThoundhunter
UKC Forum Member

Coon Movement

Where are the coons at right now? When are they moving? Is anyone else struggling? I’m losing all faith right now......

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-18-2020 03:46 AM
AAThoundhunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AAThoundhunter Click here to Send AAThoundhunter a Private Message Find more posts by AAThoundhunter Add AAThoundhunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jdgher
UKC Forum Member

East central Illinois

East central Illinois. Here the coon are pretty active between 4 AM and 5 AM. Also in the evening at sun down, before dark.

GRNTCH PR' Steve-O and Chili's Red Flow
NTCH PR' Twisters Musical Red Huey DNA-VIP Perf Sire 06'07 Deceased 11/07
Former Home of
NTCH 'PR' Swann's Lonesome Red Music/ Kitty
NTCH. CH PR' SawBlade Red Reckon
NTCH. CH PR' Gher's Timber Mt. Brandy
Breeder of
GRNTCH PR' Daugherty's Red BUBBA
NTCH CH PR' BA'S Tree Top Rockin Griddle
NTCH PR' Lickcreek Backwoods Lil Red Annie

Old Post 08-18-2020 04:40 AM
jdgher is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jdgher Click here to Send jdgher a Private Message Click Here to Email jdgher Find more posts by jdgher Add jdgher to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Coons here are moving any where from 5pm until 7 am. But they're feeding on berries more than anything else. And its bad dry here. So if there's berries and water close by there's coons. And the coons aren't in the corn yet here for some reason.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 08-18-2020 07:19 AM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Just before dark here in Alabama

Old Post 08-18-2020 02:02 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Hall
UKC Forum Member

Here in Northern, IN the coons are moving like crazy, all day and all night.. I believe you could cut any hour of the day now and get struck..

Tracks are getting pretty long here in the corn fields at times.. Still a lot of easy coons to be treed by the edge runners..

Wild cherries, grapes and corn are all in full bore mode so the coons move when they want as they are all full, all the time..

Old Post 08-18-2020 02:30 PM
Larry Hall is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Hall Click here to Send Larry Hall a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Hall Find more posts by Larry Hall Add Larry Hall to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AAThoundhunter
UKC Forum Member

I’m hunting a 15 month old pup and it’s not going well the last two weeks. Struggling to find a good track no coons or very few sitting up along the corn. I don’t have a river to hunt and haven’t gotten into any berry patches yet.

Old Post 08-18-2020 04:56 PM
AAThoundhunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AAThoundhunter Click here to Send AAThoundhunter a Private Message Find more posts by AAThoundhunter Add AAThoundhunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by AAThoundhunter
I’m hunting a 15 month old pup and it’s not going well the last two weeks. Struggling to find a good track no coons or very few sitting up along the corn. I don’t have a river to hunt and haven’t gotten into any berry patches yet.

What part of the country you in ?

Old Post 08-18-2020 06:06 PM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AAThoundhunter
UKC Forum Member

Mid-Michigan

Old Post 08-18-2020 06:21 PM
Larry Hall
UKC Forum Member

Your wild cherries and grapes are on too I'd imagine? you're not that far north of me.. Sometimes they move from one area to another if a preferred food source is available...

Sometimes hunting a young dog makes a difference as well.. I'll bet it all straightens out in a week or two... Keep your patience and let it roll..

Good luck!

Old Post 08-18-2020 06:32 PM
Larry Hall is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Hall Click here to Send Larry Hall a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Hall Find more posts by Larry Hall Add Larry Hall to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
msarka
UKC Forum Member

I’m from the thumb area in Michigan. Frustrating here too.

Home of GRNITECH ‘PR’ BELLE RIVER BANDIT

Old Post 08-18-2020 09:48 PM
msarka is offline Click Here to See the Profile for msarka Click here to Send msarka a Private Message Find more posts by msarka Add msarka to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lonesomedog1
UKC Forum Member

I'm just southwest of you Larry. Coons moving best here
after midnight no matter what type of timber i turn
them in.

Old Post 08-19-2020 12:13 AM
lonesomedog1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lonesomedog1 Click here to Send lonesomedog1 a Private Message Find more posts by lonesomedog1 Add lonesomedog1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wes Coffman
UKC Forum Member

A buddy of mine, mid morning squirrel hunting treed a coon today.

Old Post 08-19-2020 12:30 AM
Wes Coffman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wes Coffman Click here to Send Wes Coffman a Private Message Click Here to Email Wes Coffman Find more posts by Wes Coffman Add Wes Coffman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Hall
UKC Forum Member

I took tonight off to rest up my foot and the dog so I am key board coon hunting. Lol

I cut at 9:30 last night on the first drop. Treed a double at about 150 yards, but he trailed them a long way to end up at 150.

Moved spots, cut again. Treed a single out of the corn at 150. Recast him off that and he treed another behind me out of the same corn field about 250. Recast him north again and he treed number 3 at about 400. Was 11 o clock and I moved a bit and recut, treed one in the grapes real quick.

Headed up to a road near home with a lot of corn and fence rows. Leashed him up on the box and rigged one pretty quick. He treed it about a 100 yards from where he struck it. Quit and was at the pole barn about midnight.

I was hunting a farm that leaves me great access in the summer off my side by side early. You can sure get a lot more Hunting in that way than on foot. Had I been walking it would have taken a lot longer to get it done.

I’ve been fooling around rigging him off my buggy as I’ve had a bad foot for a couple weeks. He’s been recuperating from a recent bout with Lymes. We are about a sorry pair lol.

I’m thinking this rigging game is the real deal for an old, fat guy.

Old Post 08-19-2020 03:21 AM
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Larry Hall
I took tonight off to rest up my foot and the dog so I am key board coon hunting. Lol

I cut at 9:30 last night on the first drop. Treed a double at about 150 yards, but he trailed them a long way to end up at 150.

Moved spots, cut again. Treed a single out of the corn at 150. Recast him off that and he treed another behind me out of the same corn field about 250. Recast him north again and he treed number 3 at about 400. Was 11 o clock and I moved a bit and recut, treed one in the grapes real quick.

Headed up to a road near home with a lot of corn and fence rows. Leashed him up on the box and rigged one pretty quick. He treed it about a 100 yards from where he struck it. Quit and was at the pole barn about midnight.

I was hunting a farm that leaves me great access in the summer off my side by side early. You can sure get a lot more Hunting in that way than on foot. Had I been walking it would have taken a lot longer to get it done.

I’ve been fooling around rigging him off my buggy as I’ve had a bad foot for a couple weeks. He’s been recuperating from a recent bout with Lymes. We are about a sorry pair lol.

Sweet mercy I miss coon hunting in Indiana

Old Post 08-19-2020 03:35 AM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Larry Hall

Copy that 👍

Old Post 08-19-2020 04:22 AM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

Cameras say they are moving evening till midnight. 3 am till 8am

Old Post 08-19-2020 04:29 AM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Hall
UKC Forum Member

Houndsound, I think we live in one of the absolute best areas for coon hunting in the country.. Believe Southern and Mid Michigan are a bit better due to larger wood lots and less people, but not by a whole lot..

Our only problem is access.. Come about Sept 1 and all my easy private spots are off limits until after deer season and I'm stuck hunting state ground.. Can still tree a boat load of coon, it's just a whole lot harder on the handler ..

Donnie, I'm ordering me a new box for the buggy set up just for rigging.. Lot of the areas I hunt in the fall and winter have plenty of roads with wood lots along them.. believe those after midnite hunts are going to get a lot easier!!! This is the second hound i've owned that would Rig and I'd forgotten how much fun it is..

Old Post 08-19-2020 03:11 PM
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

Larry I had two Gr Nt Ch females in the late 90's (mother and daughter) that were good at it. I've tried about every one I've had since but none were cut out for it. I'm hunting a female now that's got all the ability to be good at it and she likes it. It's been my experience that if you do it on a regular basis it'll take some of the go out of them for free casting (at least short term) and I'm ok with that cause I'm losing some of my go too lol. A good rig dog is fun to watch.

Old Post 08-19-2020 04:52 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Hall
UKC Forum Member

I would agree with you on the hunting style if you rig a lot.. A dog smart enough to rig is also smart enough to know it's a whole lot easier than free casting.. I've got one more UKC win to get on this dog and he's retired from nite hunts and me too!!

After that I intend to begin working him regularly off the box.. He started rigging as I was hunting off a four wheeler a good bit with a Vari Kennel mounted on the rack behind the seat.. Being able to drive it around several farms at night he got the opportunity to strike a few tracks out of it and i just cut him.. Only took once and he's hunting if he's riding..

If it's just me hunting and it usually is, i let him ride in the passenger seat of the buggy with his head stuck out the window (on a strap)..

he will blow you out of the cab on a hot one.. Will just yip and whine on a colder track.. I'm going to free cast him the next couple nights as I'm getting ready for a double header Sat.. Got a little carried away night before last and opened kill season up and knocked out 5 to him.. Now we gonna have to touch up not returning to a tree with a hot coon in it I bet.. I've got standing orders to kill everything I tree on the farm in question and I do so.. Can't hide hunt it due to deer season.. craziness...

Old Post 08-19-2020 06:31 PM
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

Is this your male out of old Patch ? Interesting if so as the female I had that was good at it was off Hardwood Dan and Wild Joey...and then her daughter sired by Tonys Wild Clover wasn't bad either. The Jessy female off of Dan would strike with her nose shoved into the vents in the cab of the truck at 50 mph with the windows up tight. Just about put you off the road if you didn't know it was coming lol.

Old Post 08-19-2020 06:54 PM
Larry Hall
UKC Forum Member

Donnie. Sure enough is. Now that is an interesting coincidence isn’t it? Maybe another reason those Harry/Bozo bred dogs made such good big game hounds. Lol.

Old Post 08-19-2020 07:44 PM
pacolet Why
UKC Forum Member

Hello Larry, I had a female litter mate to your male but went through a divorce and had to sell her before she was a year old. Anyway back in the mid 90s my friend had a male dog out of lipper and big martha that was the absolute best rig dog I have been with. He would strike out the bed of the truck and would usually be treed before you could get parked and out of it barely. It's amazing how many you can tree very close like that

Old Post 08-20-2020 03:10 AM
pacolet Why is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pacolet Why Click here to Send pacolet Why a Private Message Find more posts by pacolet Why Add pacolet Why to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Hall
UKC Forum Member

Pacolet, I recall that you had a female pup.. I really contemplated buying her when Jay told me she might be available.. But I cannot give more than one dog serious justice in the woods at a time.. Just cant.

The Three hounds out of that cross that were hunted I know of turned into pretty decent coon dogs.. Both the males have been snake bit with issues, but are still in the game.. Believe Jay might have ended up with your female or one of the others and likes her considerably..

Lipper dogs also tended to do well on big game, might be a good blend..

I treed four last evening by 11:30pm walk hunting and then rigged him 2 1/2 miles home and never got a peep.. I cut loose at 9:30 pm on the top side of a big lake in our state land.. He struck at about 150 and trailed that coon over 400 yards across fallow farm fields, across a 400 yard marsh and back again and treed it on the edge..I recast off that coon and treed another about 60 yards away right on the water, couldn't see that coon - might have had it, might not..Could hardly see the tree it was so thick.

Recast off that and he treed another 250 to the south, but had to grub it around that marsh again to do it..

Recast off that and he struck at about 350 and trailed that coon over a half mile and treed it in a big pine on the back side of the lake..

Was a very slow, three seen and one possible hunt.. I believe the first three coon he treed moved well before dark as two were in very large cherry trees and the third in some grape vines in a mess of mulberry trees.. The last one was the best track of the night, but traveled the furthest..He was pushing that sucker the last 200/300 yards..

Going to hit it again tonight.. Lay off Friday and go to town Sat

Old Post 08-20-2020 06:07 PM
pacolet Why
UKC Forum Member

If you know where one is that was out of that litter for sale I would be interested in it

Old Post 08-20-2020 06:21 PM
pacolet Why is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pacolet Why Click here to Send pacolet Why a Private Message Find more posts by pacolet Why Add pacolet Why to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Hall
UKC Forum Member

I don't but If i hear of one, i will certainly let you know.. Couple of the other females went to a hog hunter I heard.. The third male is a lion hound out west.. I talk to his owner periodically.. Believe he told me he'd treed like 10-12 lions alone with him last year and packed on several more.. He's got a broken hip, so is impaired.. Sonny had heart worm and about got killed by coyotes.. Mine's got the darn Lymes and Earlichia.. The male dogs had some rough luck in this litter. What might have been..

Old Post 08-20-2020 06:44 PM