UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Just one thyroid question
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Sonny

Good post, You speak from experience and that's what counts. Absolutely take thyroid meds on an empty stomach one hour before food to give the body time to absorbs the medication. The body normally produces thyroid hormones in the morning as we awake and the levels decline as the day goes by, the hormones have a 24 hour life cycle and only need to be given once a day, in the morning. We ALL probably have a different level that we operate best at, digs are no exception. If the animal is operating somewhat at a "normal" level the dosage is doing it's job, regardless if the measured level in the animals system ( test results ) It takes months to really see what level is best for that animal and for the body to respond to the correct dosage. Dave

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-25-2020 07:36 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Hopefully my final update for this thread. Preacher has been back to the dog I had before this all started for about 3-4 weeks. He's been on 2 mg per day. Took him to the Vet today and told her I bet his level was finally up because of how he was hunting. Level was 2.1. Think we will just leave things alone now and check again in maybe 6 months. Really glad to have him back night after night. He's not perfect but he wasn't before this problem came up.

Now for all those who say there's nothing to this thyroid deal. All I know is I had a really nice dog that went to where he couldn't do anything right. Thyroid level was .9. After several months of trying we now have his level up to 2.1 and I have my dog back. He's a joy to hunt again. Has it souped him up some way? No, he's just back to normal.

Old Post 02-26-2020 10:25 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tom Wood

Glad things worked out, I told you it takes time, but definitely works. Thyroid problems are not a laughing matter, they can kill if not treated. Having to much thyroid hormones is just as bad, it causes increased heart rate and other issues. Dave

Old Post 02-27-2020 12:11 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
4play
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Preacher Tom
Hopefully my final update for this thread. Preacher has been back to the dog I had before this all started for about 3-4 weeks. He's been on 2 mg per day. Took him to the Vet today and told her I bet his level was finally up because of how he was hunting. Level was 2.1. Think we will just leave things alone now and check again in maybe 6 months. Really glad to have him back night after night. He's not perfect but he wasn't before this problem came up.

Now for all those who say there's nothing to this thyroid deal. All I know is I had a really nice dog that went to where he couldn't do anything right. Thyroid level was .9. After several months of trying we now have his level up to 2.1 and I have my dog back. He's a joy to hunt again. Has it souped him up some way? No, he's just back to normal.

It really works when needed!! People like to be neg about it,saying it's 'man made'.Well it Saved both of my hounds life.They are both 11 now,still act normal and love to go hunting.

Nitech Stylish Clover Shark Jill - RIP 'Ole Girl
{Great White Shark x Brush Creek Patch}

Last edited by 4play on 02-27-2020 at 09:03 PM

Old Post 02-27-2020 06:14 PM
4play is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 4play Click here to Send 4play a Private Message Click Here to Email 4play Find more posts by 4play Add 4play to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

4play

Ignorance is much harder to treat, there is no magic pill for ignorance, hence we have an over abundance of ignorant people. Thyroid problems are REAL and affect millions of people and untold numbers of dogs. Giving thyroid meds to a normal or healthy animal would hurt not help. Anyone wanting facts about the thyroid should do some research, knowledge starts curing ignorance one fact at a time, slow process, but it works over time. Dave

Old Post 02-27-2020 07:56 PM
Kenneth Tavares
Banned

Phipps, Did you think to try running your hound on a treadmill when you weren’t hunting him? Maybe just a daily exercise would have helped.

1/24/02---5/21/12
Manning, South Carolina
Ph. 803-840-2013
If you text this number you won’t get a response unless you include your name.

💰💰Click blue link to check us out on Facebook💰💰
👉🏼 Tavares' First Class Black & Tans 👈🏼

Tone it down guys, or they will delete another good topic...

Old Post 02-27-2020 10:12 PM
Kenneth Tavares is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kenneth Tavares Click here to Send Kenneth Tavares a Private Message Click Here to Email Kenneth Tavares Find more posts by Kenneth Tavares Add Kenneth Tavares to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Just to let everyone know what happened with my thyroid dog. Had him up to 2 1/2 MG per day and still couldn't get/keep a decent thyroid level. Larry Hall on here told me about Nascent Iodine (that's the type of iodine not the brand) and I started giving my dog about 4-5 drops on his tongue every day. Within a week I had my dog back. Started reducing the thyroid medicine and now I'm not giving any at all. Iodine is important for thyroid health. May not work for every dog but it sure worked for mine. Thanks Larry Hall.

Old Post 09-06-2020 12:33 AM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny altman
UKC Forum Member

1mg twice a day

www.altmanspressurewash.com

Old Post 09-06-2020 03:52 AM
johnny altman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny altman Click here to Send johnny altman a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny altman Visit johnny altman's homepage! Find more posts by johnny altman Add johnny altman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lblhunter
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Just to let everyone know what happened with my thyroid dog. Had him up to 2 1/2 MG per day and still couldn't get/keep a decent thyroid level. Larry Hall on here told me about Nascent Iodine (that's the type of iodine not the brand) and I started giving my dog about 4-5 drops on his tongue every day. Within a week I had my dog back. Started reducing the thyroid medicine and now I'm not giving any at all. Iodine is important for thyroid health. May not work for every dog but it sure worked for mine. Thanks Larry Hall.

Preacher Tom
What mg are you using?

Old Post 09-06-2020 06:08 PM
lblhunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lblhunter Click here to Send lblhunter a Private Message Find more posts by lblhunter Add lblhunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

No longer giving any Thyroid meds. Just the iodine drops every day. 4-5 drops. I started the iodine while giving 2 1/2 MG per day and gradually decreased to 0.

Old Post 09-06-2020 06:18 PM
lblhunter
UKC Forum Member

quote:
No longer giving any Thyroid meds. Just the iodine drops every day. 4-5 drops. I started the iodine while giving
2 1/2 MG per day and gradually decreased to 0.

Preacher Tom
I mean what mg of the iodine. I'm not good at putting my questions on here. I looked at the iodine online and it looks to come in different strengths

Old Post 09-06-2020 06:30 PM
lblhunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lblhunter Click here to Send lblhunter a Private Message Find more posts by lblhunter Add lblhunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Bottle says 1 oz = 30mg. Sorry that I didn't understand your question. I don't know exactly how much in mg I'm giving. About 1/3 to 1/2 of the dropper full. I have not tried less than that because it's working so well.

Old Post 09-06-2020 06:37 PM
lblhunter
UKC Forum Member

Thanks

Old Post 09-06-2020 06:38 PM