UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Rickets help please
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
GCH Viper
UKC Forum Member

Rickets help please

Have a pup acting like he has rickets. Help please. Thx

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-29-2019 01:34 PM
GCH Viper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GCH Viper Click here to Send GCH Viper a Private Message Find more posts by GCH Viper Add GCH Viper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Give it vitamin C pills.

Old Post 05-29-2019 02:32 PM
Richard Lambert is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Blaze P.
Banned

If the pup is not on a surface where it can get good traction, get it there. Gotta be able to build up them muscles. Without that u can give them anything and they will not be right.

Old Post 05-29-2019 02:44 PM
Blaze P. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Blaze P. Click here to Send Blaze P. a Private Message Find more posts by Blaze P. Add Blaze P. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bill(Chew)
UKC Forum Member

If my memory is correct cod liver oil is the best remedy for rickets.

Old Post 05-29-2019 03:03 PM
Bill(Chew) is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bill(Chew) Click here to Send Bill(Chew) a Private Message Click Here to Email Bill(Chew) Find more posts by Bill(Chew) Add Bill(Chew) to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

And sunshine. If you pup is in an indoor kennel or just primarily shade it can cause a Vitamin D deficiency. Vit D is needed to properly absorb calcium and phosphorus needed for healthy strong bone growth which can lead to rickets. And believe it or not sunlight is also needed for proper function the endocrine system that affects most hormone function.
Good diet and let it out to run loose in the daylight hours.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 05-29-2019 04:08 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Give it vitamin C pills.

Richard you are thinking of scurvy vitamin C will not treat rickets.

Cod liver oil was suggested and is a good supplement because of it's high level of vitamin D.
In nature vitamin D is produced in the skin by exposure to natural sunlight. Without it the body cannot absorb and utilize the calcium and phosphorus that should be in the diet.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 05-29-2019 06:24 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Oh my goodness, you are right, Jen.

Old Post 05-29-2019 09:10 PM
Richard Lambert is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
crooked ridge
UKC Forum Member

My vet told me to feed good dog food. Been awhile but I think she gave me something to add calcium also.

Old Post 05-29-2019 09:35 PM
crooked ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for crooked ridge Click here to Send crooked ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email crooked ridge Find more posts by crooked ridge Add crooked ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cleo
UKC Forum Member

First, get them off had ground. Separate them if you have to, so they aren't ground-pounding.
Put them on something decent to eat ~ an all stage feed, NO PUPPY FOOD.

I put mine on Pro Plan Sport.

NO CALCIUM SUPPLIMENT unless your vet gives you Cal-Tabs. Over the counter tabs are rough on them. Trust me. You'll tear their tummies up then have another issue.

I tried cod liver oil, bought it at Wal-Mart, gave them a cc in the am and a cc in the pm. Watch for diarrhea!
Mostly rest is the best cure, that and changing the high protein feed.

~A man is only as good as his word~

Proud home to;

'PR' Kentucky River Fly Again (Kentucky River Rowdy frozen semen)
ACHA CHT x3 Broken Roads Little Texas (Kentucky River Rowdy x Houses Lipper's Hope)
CH Broken Roads Southern Stylish Boom (Kentucky River Rowdy x Houses Lipper's Hope)
Broken Road's Rowdy Lil Miss (Kentucky River Rowdy x Houses Lipper's Hope)
Broken Road's Meabie I will (Lipper's Rooster x Missy)
Broken Roads IMA Boomer2 (UKC NATL GRCH GRNTCH Honest Abe x Broken Roads Southern Stylish Boom
~~~~~Watch out!~~~~~
They just might make an IMPACT!

and the girls...Punkin and Tater!

Gone by never forgotten ~ Fly high my beautiful angels
~ GRCH GNTCH PKC SC Toucan Sam
~CH Toucan's Ugly Betty
~ CCH CH Southforks September Rain
~ Martin's Daisy JJ (what a beautiful litter you left behind)
~ Luke, the lab who brought us so many doves and ducks over the years
~ UKC GRCH,ACHA CH 2014 LWCH 2014 2 x's ACHA YOUTH WCH AKC CH AKC CH 'PR' Kentucky River Mundar ~ (Kentucky River Rowdy frozen semen) DNA Profiled ~ Fly high, old friend.

"The WILL of God will never take you where the GRACE of God can not protect you!"

Last edited by Cleo on 05-29-2019 at 10:32 PM

Old Post 05-29-2019 10:29 PM
Cleo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cleo Click here to Send Cleo a Private Message Find more posts by Cleo Add Cleo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GCH Viper
UKC Forum Member

Appreciate all the info guys!

Old Post 05-30-2019 02:46 AM
GCH Viper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GCH Viper Click here to Send GCH Viper a Private Message Find more posts by GCH Viper Add GCH Viper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Multi-vitamin dissolved in small amount of water given with a syringe for a few days cured one for me.

Old Post 05-30-2019 02:23 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Adam Wingler
UKC Forum Member

Cleo is spot on. I had two in a row get it, different breeds. One I went with the top notch puppy feed, made it much worse. The second, I studied a bit more and went with cod liver oil, a fish based adult feed, and fed the minimum amount. Almost perfect in 2 weeks. Puppy feed simply causes some of them to grow way too fast, and the body can't keep up with the bone growth.

Old Post 05-30-2019 07:52 PM
Adam Wingler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Adam Wingler Click here to Send Adam Wingler a Private Message Click Here to Email Adam Wingler Find more posts by Adam Wingler Add Adam Wingler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
brlan90
UKC Forum Member

I had one with it but I did the cod liver oil n he come right out of it in bout two weeks n I’ve noticed guys say switch off puppy food but also puppies need the protein n fat so what I’m gettin at is don’t feed puppies puppy food just feed em a regular feed like a 20/10 or a maintenance feed am I gettin that correct?

Old Post 05-31-2019 03:15 AM
brlan90 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for brlan90 Click here to Send brlan90 a Private Message Click Here to Email brlan90 Find more posts by brlan90 Add brlan90 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
brlan90
UKC Forum Member

I had one with it but I did the cod liver oil n he come right out of it in bout two weeks n I’ve noticed guys say switch off puppy food but also puppies need the protein n fat so what I’m gettin at is don’t feed puppies puppy food just feed em a regular feed like a 20/10 or a maintenance feed am I gettin that correct?

Old Post 05-31-2019 03:15 AM
brlan90 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for brlan90 Click here to Send brlan90 a Private Message Click Here to Email brlan90 Find more posts by brlan90 Add brlan90 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by brlan90

Without vitamin D the body cannot absorb the calcium and phosphorus needed for strong bone growth. Think of bones staying soft and flexible as opposed to strong and hardened. It is not typically a diet issue (puppy food vs adult formula) as most have adequate calcium and puppy feed usually has more than adult varieties. It doesn't matter how much calcium is in the food if the pup doesn't have adequate amounts of vitamin D present to absorb it and convert to growth. The reason the cod liver oil helped your pup is it added the the vitamin D through omega 3's the pup needed to absorb the calcium and phosphorus in it's food.
You will see rickets even though fairly rare more often in pups that have been whelped and raised in indoor areas. As I stated in an earlier post vitamin D is naturally made in the skin from exposure to sunlight.
If dogs are like humans, and in most other cases they are, there could be a very few that could develope rickets from an underlying disease or illness that would prevent proper absorption of vitamins available in the diet.
In humans rickets it is more common in dark skin people I've been curious if it is more prevalent in dark dogs.

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 05-31-2019 04:11 AM
brlan90
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for the info redneck mafia 👍👍👍

Old Post 05-31-2019 08:57 PM