UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Tacking Systems
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
PATSCDOG
UKC Forum Member

Tacking Systems

How many folks still use beep trackers vs satellite trackers.
The reason for the question is that I have noticed that at least with the young hunters that I have been with all have garmins . Which of course is all good, but they all just like to set on the tail gate and look at there screen, Not a single one knew what there dog was actually doing. Not to sound judgemental but I think they are missing the point.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-18-2018 05:52 PM
PATSCDOG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for PATSCDOG Click here to Send PATSCDOG a Private Message Click Here to Email PATSCDOG Find more posts by PATSCDOG Add PATSCDOG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lynn Tubbs
UKC Forum Member

I still use beep beep but as a back up to my garmln

Old Post 01-18-2018 08:07 PM
Lynn Tubbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lynn Tubbs Click here to Send Lynn Tubbs a Private Message Click Here to Email Lynn Tubbs Find more posts by Lynn Tubbs Add Lynn Tubbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LSO1103
UKC Forum Member

I was out of coon hunting for about 20 years and got back into it about 3 years ago. Back in the early '90s I hunted 6-7 nights a week. Obviously there was no such thing as GPS trackers back then and I never could afford a beep beep tracker so I didn't have one. When I got back into it and got familiar with GPS trackers, I now wouldn't turn a dog loose without one. I'm one that's guilty of standing there looking at my Alpha constantly and I'm 100% positive that I know way more about what my dog is doing now than I did back in the day of no tracking system. Back then, if my dog wasn't barking I had no idea what he/she was doing. It could have been setting a hundred yards out there setting on its butt and not doing nothing and I would have just assumed it was hunting. Now not only do I know what he's doing by listening to him when he's on a track or treed, I know what he's doing when he's not barking. When he's on a track, I can tell if he's back tracking. I can tell if circles the tree before he locks down on it. Sometimes the sucker will go silent on me but I can tell by watching him on the alpha that he's on a track. There's just so many things that I can know about what my dog is doing with the alpha now as compared to back in the day. IMO, the gps trackers are the best thing to come along for coon hunting since battery powered lights.

Old Post 01-18-2018 08:09 PM
LSO1103 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for LSO1103 Click here to Send LSO1103 a Private Message Click Here to Email LSO1103 Find more posts by LSO1103 Add LSO1103 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ItsOlMander
UKC Forum Member

i have both. if im hunting in a rough area, an area with few roads or its overcast or something i will make sure the dogs have the telemetry collar on. if im just hunting here by the house i usually dont have both on them- just the garmin.

with my first batch of dogs all that was out was the telemetry and while i had to listen much harder i feel like i have a much better handle on what my dog is actually doing now with the garmin.... because i can see it.

before if my dog took off and was out of sight and i couldnt hear him wrustling around in the bushes he was out hunting his ass off... now i can see if he took off and is milling around out there a few hundred yards. the garmin will tell on one.

- In Loving Memory of -
DEEP SPRINGS BLACK MAX
&
LEVIS SOUTHERN BLUE DOC

Old Post 01-18-2018 09:11 PM
ItsOlMander is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ItsOlMander Click here to Send ItsOlMander a Private Message Find more posts by ItsOlMander Add ItsOlMander to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
micooner
UKC Forum Member

What's a beep beep. Roadrunner? Lol

Old Post 01-18-2018 11:38 PM
micooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for micooner Click here to Send micooner a Private Message Click Here to Email micooner Find more posts by micooner Add micooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cry Tough Blues
UKC Forum Member

My hounds still where both

Old Post 01-19-2018 06:30 PM
Cry Tough Blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cry Tough Blues Click here to Send Cry Tough Blues a Private Message Find more posts by Cry Tough Blues Add Cry Tough Blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
trkrmsy
UKC Forum Member

I run both on my dogs only because the Garmin won't pick up signal if the dog gets in a hole or in a metal building or gets put in a dog box. The old trackers will beep no matter where, I've never had to use it but gives me confidence that I can always find them.

As for knowing what they're doing nothing tells you what your dogs are doing like GPS!

Old Post 01-19-2018 07:43 PM
trkrmsy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for trkrmsy Click here to Send trkrmsy a Private Message Find more posts by trkrmsy Add trkrmsy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Autumn Clements
UKC Forum Member

I still have my telemetry system but haven't used it in a few years now. Funny I dug it out of the closet this fall and showed my boyfriend it & how it worked, he's only been hunting a year now, he thought I was plain crazy lol

'PR'LEAD'S MIDNITE SASSY
CFC CH Canadian GCH Multi Group Placing MBPIG BBPIG LEGACYK STANNYFIELD PRIME TIME (AKC & UKC Pointed)
BPIG MBBPIG WINDAMIRS RED LIGHT DISTRICT V AMBERLANE
LEGACYK DARE TO DREAM V CBLUES
LEGACYK WHITE AS A GHOST V CBLUES

Gone but not forgotten
GRNITECH GRCH PKC CH'PR'CLEMENTS' BLUE PRANCER

GRNITECH GRCH'PR'SPIKE'S TWILITE HOOKER
'PR'PRANCER'S GETTIN DOWN N DIRTY (PrancerxHooker)
NITECH CH’PR’BUELL’S BLUE ROCKY(Whitey x Spice)

CKC BBPIG MARIES BABY BREEZE

Old Post 01-20-2018 02:56 AM
Autumn Clements is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Autumn Clements Click here to Send Autumn Clements a Private Message Click Here to Email Autumn Clements Find more posts by Autumn Clements Add Autumn Clements to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote