UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > !!!---Your Thoughts on Dogtra Pathfinder---!!!
Pages (6): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Maps....

quote:
Originally posted by Josh Michaelis
You do not have to download maps. I've had one since last winter and never used the downloadable maps.

Josh
Do you usually have a signal with yours ?
Tim

Quality, Dependable Coon Lights--Built by a Coonhunter for Coonhunters
==================================
** Superior Lights

** Sunspot Hunting Lights

** Zepp's--Quality Products

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

** They Twist it until they start believing it themselves**

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Competition Coonhunters and Politicians
** Win anyway you have to & tell everyone what they want to hear **

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-27-2017 01:31 AM
Triple K Kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Triple K Kennel Click here to Send Triple K Kennel a Private Message Find more posts by Triple K Kennel Add Triple K Kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

Re: Maps....

quote:
Originally posted by Triple K Kennel
Josh
Do you usually have a signal with yours ?
Tim

I do before I leave the house. I just scroll over to the area I am hunting, let it download over WiFi at the house, and I have Google Earth where I hunt. When I am at a hunt I just zoom way out and let it download while I am driving in case the area has no service. Never been without a good map

Old Post 11-27-2017 04:27 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Budly
UKC Forum Member

Love the Dogtra Pathfinder

I've been using mine for the last three nights. I've had to get used to getting the collar to link up to the transceiver, but now I think I've got it figured out. I really love the track recording. I can actually relive the hunt by replaying the route I and the dog made through the woods. (After I've closed the App). What I'm finding is that after the hunt, and I'm showered and in bed, I play the hunt back. That is nice to me.
When hunting, it is nice to follow the hound at the 2 second rate, to be able to see the zigs and the zags. Plus the tone feature works well with my dog.
Tim, I think you will really like this unit. I really don't think I'll use my Alpha anymore.

Old Post 12-05-2017 03:44 AM
Budly is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Budly Click here to Send Budly a Private Message Click Here to Email Budly Find more posts by Budly Add Budly to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Re: Love the Dogtra Pathfinder

quote:
Originally posted by Budly
I've been using mine for the last three nights. I've had to get used to getting the collar to link up to the transceiver, but now I think I've got it figured out. I really love the track recording. I can actually relive the hunt by replaying the route I and the dog made through the woods. (After I've closed the App). What I'm finding is that after the hunt, and I'm showered and in bed, I play the hunt back. That is nice to me.
When hunting, it is nice to follow the hound at the 2 second rate, to be able to see the zigs and the zags. Plus the tone feature works well with my dog.
Tim, I think you will really like this unit. I really don't think I'll use my Alpha anymore.

Someone told me that it Eats your Data, even though Dogtra claims it doesnt.....?
Tim

** Superior Lights

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

Old Post 12-05-2017 03:57 PM
Triple K Kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Triple K Kennel Click here to Send Triple K Kennel a Private Message Find more posts by Triple K Kennel Add Triple K Kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Love the Dogtra Pathfinder

quote:
Someone told me that it Eats your Data, even though Dogtra claims it doesnt.....?
Tim

The phone doesn't even have to be activated. Can't use data if it's not activated.

Old Post 12-05-2017 04:37 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Love the Dogtra Pathfinder

quote:
Tim

You can check and see what apps are using the most data and how much.

Old Post 12-05-2017 06:12 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Budly
UKC Forum Member

Data Usage

I took Josh's advice and checked my data usage on my iphone, for the Dogtra App. For 4 nights use, I've only used 20MB of my 2GB plan. That is essentially zero percent usage. (1%) The caveat here, is that I've only used the App in two places, and I assume once I return to a hunting spot where I've hunted before with the App, it doesn't require I reload the map data for said place. This product is still new to me, and I can get back to you in a month, just to see how much data I've used. If I really cared, I would just load in the maps from a wifi spot like home or at some place along the way hunting, that has wifi.
I'm not under the belief that this app is a data hog.

Old Post 12-05-2017 07:09 PM
Budly is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Budly Click here to Send Budly a Private Message Click Here to Email Budly Find more posts by Budly Add Budly to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Budly
UKC Forum Member

Data Usage

I took Josh's advice and checked my data usage on my iphone, for the Dogtra App. For 4 nights use, I've only used 20MB of my 2GB plan. That is essentially zero percent usage. (1%) The caveat here, is that I've only used the App in two places, and I assume once I return to a hunting spot where I've hunted before with the App, it doesn't require I reload the map data for said place. This product is still new to me, and I can get back to you in a month, just to see how much data I've used. If I really cared, I would just load in the maps from a wifi spot like home or at some place along the way hunting, that has wifi.
I'm not under the belief that this app is a data hog.

Old Post 12-05-2017 07:09 PM
Tx Dave
UKC Forum Member

Data Usage

I have been using the Pathfinder for a few months now and can tell you its not a data hog. I have unlimited data but do monitor it can not really tell any difference on my data usage. So far I have not found anything about this system to complain about. My Alpha has not been used a single time since I purchased the Pathfinder. I really think you would like it. It has what you need and nothing else.

Old Post 12-06-2017 02:19 AM
Tx Dave is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tx Dave Click here to Send Tx Dave a Private Message Click Here to Email Tx Dave Find more posts by Tx Dave Add Tx Dave to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Tx Dave your exactly right. I use it on one phone I purchased just to run it on. NO CELL PLAN. NO DATA PLAN. Works just fine and doesn't cost a dime, except the electric to charge the phone which is pennies.

Old Post 12-06-2017 04:31 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JAH
Banned

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
Tx Dave your exactly right. I use it on one phone I purchased just to run it on. NO CELL PLAN. NO DATA PLAN. Works just fine and doesn't cost a dime, except the electric to charge the phone which is pennies.

So no cell plan and no data plan needed.Does that mean if someone wanted to they could use it with a tablet that has no data plan only or does it have to be a smart phone?

Old Post 12-06-2017 05:24 PM
JAH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JAH Click here to Send JAH a Private Message Click Here to Email JAH Find more posts by JAH Add JAH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Many different makes and models of tablets. I have been told by a reliable source that the answer is YES on a windows tablet with bluetooth. Haven't tried on mac but it hooks to my iPhone so I think it should. Also don't want to get confused as discussing linking it to a device or device sharing. Two different things.

Last edited by Bruce m. Conkey on 12-06-2017 at 06:50 PM

Old Post 12-06-2017 05:55 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

The tablet has to be gps capable as well

Old Post 12-07-2017 08:21 PM
jawscardodger
UKC Forum Member

So i got a one and tried it last night used it for a couple hours and it drained my phone battery to almost half charge. Also when you download maps to they stay on your phone ?

Old Post 12-09-2017 05:24 PM
jawscardodger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jawscardodger Click here to Send jawscardodger a Private Message Click Here to Email jawscardodger Find more posts by jawscardodger Add jawscardodger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

That is the one limitation to the system and I have said it on other post on here when talking about the system. You are limited to the battery life of your cell phone. Newer phones do pretty good. Older phones not so good. Two options. One is it get a larger battery for your phone. One I like better is to buy one of those power packs you charge and then can hook it to the phone and run the phone off it.

My maps stay in my app on the phone.

Old Post 12-09-2017 05:51 PM
Budly
UKC Forum Member

Dogtra

I have an iPhone 7 plus. It is around 6 months old. It has a nice large display for viewing these maps, and my battery drifts from a full charge, to around 80% to 85%. The display is mostly on for a lot of the hunt, probably because of the newness of the unit, and I want to study it more. I hunt an average of 2 hours by the way. If I hunted longer, I just would shut off the display and hunt "normally". I forget if you mentioned, how long did you hunt?

Old Post 12-09-2017 07:49 PM
Sam Davis
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by jawscardodger
So i got a one and tried it last night used it for a couple hours and it drained my phone battery to almost half charge. Also when you download maps to they stay on your phone ?

I went to Walmart and purchased a $30 android phone as my primary. Never ran the phone down- and if I do run it down I also have it loaded on my main phone.

WWW.NITEHUNTERS.COM
731-632-0489
rats@nitehunters.com

Old Post 12-09-2017 07:51 PM
Sam Davis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sam Davis Click here to Send Sam Davis a Private Message Click Here to Email Sam Davis Visit Sam Davis's homepage! Find more posts by Sam Davis Add Sam Davis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Thanks...

Thanks for All the Info from you guys that have this System.....
Tim

** Superior Lights

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

Old Post 12-10-2017 03:40 PM
coch20
UKC Forum Member

how is the battery life on collars and connector?

Northern Backwoods Kennels

Old Post 12-12-2017 07:58 PM
coch20 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for coch20 Click here to Send coch20 a Private Message Click Here to Email coch20 Find more posts by coch20 Add coch20 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

I did some testing and I got over 24 hours on them. The battery life that will limit you is your PHONE.

Old Post 12-12-2017 08:18 PM
marpal
UKC Forum Member

If you choose to download maps,,,, # 1 do they store on your phone ?
#2 how big of a area do they show ?
#3 how many hunting spots can you save?

Old Post 12-13-2017 05:04 AM
marpal is offline Click Here to See the Profile for marpal Click here to Send marpal a Private Message Click Here to Email marpal Find more posts by marpal Add marpal to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John D
UKC Forum Member

How do UKC and $Kc view the use of this? I see the app will allow setting a "tracking only" mode and the contact points on the collar can be removed. But does this satisfy the KC's enough to allow use of this during hunting time?

I seem to recall at one time UKC said that even removing contact points on a collar wasn't enough....

Click here to visit The B&T Coonhunters Message Forum for news, views, open discussion, ads, and event winners in the B&T Breed (Registration, with your full name, required)

Click here to see my Dog List

Old Post 12-13-2017 02:19 PM
John D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John D Click here to Send John D a Private Message Click Here to Email John D Visit John D's homepage! Find more posts by John D Add John D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Langford
UKC Forum Member

They make a tracking only collar that is UKC approved.

Old Post 12-13-2017 02:22 PM
Cory Langford is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Langford Click here to Send Cory Langford a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Langford Add Cory Langford to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Huntnharris
UKC Forum Member

There is a track only collar just like Garmins T5 collar. You can get the bundle in track/train or track only.

www.harrishoundsupply.net

Old Post 12-13-2017 02:23 PM
Huntnharris is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Huntnharris Click here to Send Huntnharris a Private Message Click Here to Email Huntnharris Visit Huntnharris's homepage! Find more posts by Huntnharris Add Huntnharris to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Skoce002
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by marpal
If you choose to download maps,,,, # 1 do they store on your phone ?
#2 how big of a area do they show ?
#3 how many hunting spots can you save?

The downloaded maps do store on your phone. It allows you to download 200mb of map data at a time which shows approximately 25,000 acres. And you can save as many hunting spots as your phone can store.

I've had the systen for a couple of weeks now, and really enjoy the simplicity of it. It's user friendly and is really quite the system for the money. I don't see any reason that I would go back to the Garmin.

Old Post 12-13-2017 02:47 PM
Skoce002 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Skoce002 Click here to Send Skoce002 a Private Message Find more posts by Skoce002 Add Skoce002 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote