UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Thyroid Dogs
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Chris Horner
UKC Forum Member

I have owned several that get a pill or 2 a day. Its kinda of a pain. 1st one I had she was all COON DOG but dont miss her pill or she will run out of gas and miss them coon. I could also not get her bred.

Currently have one and she takes 1 a day. Never misses a heat has great litters. None of her pups are on pills.

Some heavy Lipper dogs have Thyroid problems and it takes the right handler to figure it out before the lead flies. I would say the 1st thing to look for is a young dog that was doing great all of a sudden starts missing and looking RETARDED... I hope that didnt offend anyone. lol

Make sure you find a vet that has a clue, Most dont even understand the Hound World

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-26-2016 07:06 AM
Chris Horner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chris Horner Click here to Send Chris Horner a Private Message Click Here to Email Chris Horner Visit Chris Horner's homepage! Find more posts by Chris Horner Add Chris Horner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Chris you described my situation from many years ago exactly. I got a female that had Lipper in her about as much as you could stuff into one dog. I got her from a hog hunter when she was about 18 months old. I worked her and about 2 years of age she was as good as I could ask for. Then about 7 months later she fell on her face. Got fat and quit hunting. I didn't know enough then to seek some professional help and I let a good one slip away.

Old Post 11-26-2016 12:45 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Shhhh Bruce there was some more out of lipper that needed more than a pill they were born crazy I think a lot of people use this thyroid problem as an excuse for inconstancy just because these these dogs of today are lacking it.

Old Post 11-26-2016 12:56 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bigball
New UKC Forum Member

Not an excuse if the thyroid test shows to be in fact that the thyroid is not functioning properly. There is a test.

Old Post 11-26-2016 01:27 PM
Bigball is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bigball Click here to Send Bigball a Private Message Click Here to Email Bigball Find more posts by Bigball Add Bigball to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

So you are saying it is ok for breeders to knowingly breed dogs with these genetic faults just because when they are in the mood they win hunts somtimes ?

Old Post 11-26-2016 01:36 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MIKE CARDER
UKC Forum Member

Thyroiditis

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
So you are saying it is ok for breeders to knowingly breed dogs with these genetic faults just because when they are in the mood they win hunts somtimes ?

Not all thyroid disease is genetic. And that can be figured out with the proper testing. So if a hound has an inherited thyroid disease, no I wouldn't but if not, and the hound could contribute to the betterment of the breed, yes I would.

http://www.canismajor.com/dog/thyroid.html#Inher

Phone number 270-820-5560

Old Post 11-26-2016 02:06 PM
MIKE CARDER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MIKE CARDER Click here to Send MIKE CARDER a Private Message Click Here to Email MIKE CARDER Find more posts by MIKE CARDER Add MIKE CARDER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Most is not genetic. It can be caused by illness, obesity, over vaccination, certain medications, injury to the thyroid gland and probably the #1 reason lack of sufficient iodine in the diet.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 11-26-2016 03:54 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

quote:

Yep

Old Post 11-26-2016 03:57 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I been hunting all my life never owned a thyroid dog but if it treed enough coons I could probly manage to give it a pill each day but I will not knowingly buy one that I know has it.

Old Post 11-26-2016 04:09 PM
jay brademeyer
UKC Forum Member

The only feed I have found that still has iodized Salt in the ingredients is science diet... all feed used to have it. Now they use a man made product called calcium iodate ... I've switched all my dogs over to science diet.. wow what a difference.. energy off the charts.... Robby if I were you I wouldn't feed it ...there is no way you would keep up . Lol

"Building on a solid foundation starts on the bottom side"

Old Post 11-26-2016 10:55 PM
jay brademeyer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jay brademeyer Click here to Send jay brademeyer a Private Message Click Here to Email jay brademeyer Find more posts by jay brademeyer Add jay brademeyer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Lol I can't keep up now jay only via Toyota it's got too long distance for this old man you cut them loose in 10 minutes they are a mile in 4 different directions. But on a serious note I am going to have to change to somthing fed purina for years but they changed somthing recently my dogs are not keeping the weight on they used to.

Old Post 11-26-2016 11:18 PM
jay brademeyer
UKC Forum Member

That science diet is high priced, but man that is good stuff

"Building on a solid foundation starts on the bottom side"

Old Post 11-26-2016 11:22 PM
jay brademeyer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jay brademeyer Click here to Send jay brademeyer a Private Message Click Here to Email jay brademeyer Find more posts by jay brademeyer Add jay brademeyer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

I decided to do some reading and google searches on thyroid problems with dogs. What I found about collars and just pulling on a dogs neck is enough to scare you. Several articles discussing collars a e-collars. Makes for some interesting reading.

Old Post 11-26-2016 11:59 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sonny Phipps
UKC Forum Member

My research that I did made me think a lot about ecollars also. In my case my dog got a tick virus and it left him with a low thyroid. I also found that coconut oil as a supplement helps thyroid production. I'm in the beginning stages of a test to see if it helps mine. His thyroid level has come up some on its own since the tick illness has been controlled. A lot to think about and check into on these issues.

The other rumor is that some guys have learned that a boost of thyroid level helps dogs perform with a little more zest. So if that is true , some dogs that are not truly low thyroid may be taking some meds........

Old Post 11-27-2016 04:38 PM
Sonny Phipps is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sonny Phipps Click here to Send Sonny Phipps a Private Message Click Here to Email Sonny Phipps Find more posts by Sonny Phipps Add Sonny Phipps to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sonny Phipps
UKC Forum Member

Last edited by Sonny Phipps on 11-27-2016 at 04:40 PM

Old Post 11-27-2016 04:38 PM
Sonny Phipps is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sonny Phipps Click here to Send Sonny Phipps a Private Message Click Here to Email Sonny Phipps Find more posts by Sonny Phipps Add Sonny Phipps to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
I decided to do some reading and google searches on thyroid problems with dogs. What I found about collars and just pulling on a dogs neck is enough to scare you. Several articles discussing collars a e-collars. Makes for some interesting reading.

I have not read any articles on it but it was a question I ask my vet. I asked him what he thought about a dog tied at a tree constantly lunging to the end of the leash. He said it very well could damage the thyroid gland.

My question about the feed is I have beagles and walker dogs. I feed them the same thing. All of my dogs that have a permanent home here get tested. The beagles on the same feed have never had a thyroid problem.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 11-27-2016 05:25 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Sonny Phipps

The other rumor is that some guys have learned that a boost of thyroid level helps dogs perform with a little more zest. So if that is true , some dogs that are not truly low thyroid may be taking some meds........

There now somebody finally addressed the elephant in the room. That's what I've been wondering.

Old Post 11-27-2016 06:05 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Well Started
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by joey
I have not read any articles on it but it was a question I ask my vet. I asked him what he thought about a dog tied at a tree constantly lunging to the end of the leash. He said it very well could damage the thyroid gland.

My question about the feed is I have beagles and walker dogs. I feed them the same thing. All of my dogs that have a permanent home here get tested. The beagles on the same feed have never had a thyroid problem.

That's what I'm saying. I'm not disputing that feed, E-collars, Iodine, etc all play a role in a dogs thyroid issues, I've no reason to think that it couldn't be a cause. But there's not a doubt in my mind that whatever the causes that hounds are more susceptible to it. I just don't see it or hear it talked about with a couple of breeds I'm pretty familiar with, and they're all exposed to those same things as hounds.

Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured… but not everyone must prove they are a citizen. Now add this: Many of those who refuse, or are unable, to prove they are citizens will receive free insurance paid for by those who are forced to buy insurance because they are citizens.

Old Post 11-27-2016 07:24 PM
Well Started is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Well Started Click here to Send Well Started a Private Message Find more posts by Well Started Add Well Started to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

After doing the reading I done yesterday I think a harness might work better.
One article talked directly about the thyroid getting damaged then destroying itself trying to fix the problem. I am fully aware that some of the articles are written by people that would like us to never own a dog and never think of putting a e-collar on one. I think we need to be careful with reasons.

Old Post 11-27-2016 09:03 PM
yadkintar
Banned

Well I guess I am a lucky son of a gun I in my life time have owned 1,687 dogs most were on chains some were on ole Roy dog food , some were shocked so much they glowed and ain't no telling how many more I owned 1/2 of (the eating half ) haven't ever owned a thyroid dog. Here is my theory they shot some lines up with steroids up so much to make them perform better on the circuit that they created this genetic default !!! Ooooh no he diunt wabamo lol!

Old Post 11-27-2016 10:00 PM
joey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Well I guess I am a lucky son of a gun I in my life time have owned 1,687 dogs most were on chains some were on ole Roy dog food , some were shocked so much they glowed and ain't no telling how many more I owned 1/2 of (the eating half ) haven't ever owned a thyroid dog. Here is my theory they shot some lines up with steroids up so much to make them perform better on the circuit that they created this genetic default !!! Ooooh no he diunt wabamo lol!

How many of those 1,687 did you have tested? By chained I didnt mean at the house. I was referring to lunging at the tree.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 11-28-2016 01:41 AM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Tested why ? For what ? Ok I cheated most of that was litters of puppies but I still think the root of the problem is performance enhancing drugs if they tested dogs at the major hunts like they do at the olympics or race horses you would find your problem !!i never thought I had a dog that needed testing they were sub par I culled them.

Old Post 11-28-2016 05:30 AM
MIKE CARDER
UKC Forum Member

Robert

quote:
Tested why ? For what ? Ok I cheated most of that was litters of puppies but I still think the root of the problem is performance enhancing drugs if they tested dogs at the major hunts like they do at the olympics or race horses you would find your problem !!i never thought I had a dog that needed testing they were sub par I culled them.

Maybe they were sub par because they had thyroid issues. Lol. I'm gonna get you tested for PED, you old fart!!!!

Phone number 270-820-5560

Old Post 11-28-2016 11:50 AM
MIKE CARDER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MIKE CARDER Click here to Send MIKE CARDER a Private Message Click Here to Email MIKE CARDER Find more posts by MIKE CARDER Add MIKE CARDER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Here is my last post on Thyroid Problems. I was always under the assumption that it was a hereditary condition. Like all things that comes from genetics, if we do a better job breeding our dogs we will have a better outcome.
After reading several articles this week I am planning to read many more in the future. If I find any fact that the way I handled my dog by not teaching it to lead or be tied without pulling. Or using bark collars or e collars can cause this problem, I have to back up on what I said earlier about never owning and caring for a dog with a Thyroid condition. If I contributed to the problem then I am willing to do my part in controlling it.

Old Post 11-28-2016 12:17 PM
yadkintar
Banned

Them boys that are juicing their dogs love it when you find somthing else to blame it on !! You take a woman that's got a drug problem when she's pregnate her baby will have a drug problem to when they are doping those dogs to compete at a high level that means every hunt because they are in it to win it they do stuff to win that an old country boy would not dream about doing they will spend $35,000 to win $40,000 that's the truth if I ever told it a good dog man knows it when he sees it when they come out of that box with there eyes run out on the stems barking every breath you what I mean Vern ?

Old Post 11-28-2016 04:39 PM