UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Number of hunters
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
blacksc1
UKC Forum Member

Number of hunters

When you read these posts about hunt numbers, you always read that a reason is there just aren't any young coon hunters anymore. In my life that is incorrect, I know of atleast 20 people (all under the age of 24)who chase coons consistently and many many more who have dogs and go every so often. I only know of a few that competition hunt though. I simply like pleasure hunting it's about getting out there with dogs and simply freeing coons no rules no one can tell me I can't correct my dog or go get my dog if I want too. I've talked to all of my buddies about it, it's simply about the dogs.

In a way I feel that competition hunting isn't about the dogs necessarily it's about being a good handler. The reason I felt obliged to post this I'm sick and tired of reading that no one knew starts coon hunting, I've gotten two of my best friends involved in the past two years now we hunt 3-5 nights a week with one another. And here in South Carolina it's not a big sport yes everyone knows what it is but not many grow up doing it.

Coonhunting is still alive and will continue to thrive with those who truly love it, you will find a way to make it work. We just simply pleasure hunt. I think the stigma of competition hunts are where a lot of people get lost I don't truly understand all the rules, and due to life obligations I haven't had the time to go spectate on a cast. Maybe coon hunting is just going back to its roots, it's not meant to be a mainstream deal. Just some good old boys waiting for it to get dark and a have a little fun. This rant was stemmed by reading all of he negativity surrounding numbers.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-22-2018 02:06 AM
blacksc1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blacksc1 Click here to Send blacksc1 a Private Message Click Here to Email blacksc1 Find more posts by blacksc1 Add blacksc1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Good the hear your point of view.

Old Post 06-22-2018 02:33 AM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bill(Chew)
UKC Forum Member

Same hear in eastern NC. most of the coon hunters I know of don't competition hunt much if at all.

Old Post 06-22-2018 03:06 AM
Bill(Chew) is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bill(Chew) Click here to Send Bill(Chew) a Private Message Click Here to Email Bill(Chew) Find more posts by Bill(Chew) Add Bill(Chew) to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

Your absolutely correct and I have made that point before. There is no doubt our numbers are falling they are in every type of hunting, but the numbers at the comp hunts are not a true reflection of the health of the sport. You see that in clubs that struggle to have more than a couple of dogs at a hunt, but then have a pound hunt and fill the parking lot.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 06-22-2018 04:24 AM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blacksc1
UKC Forum Member

I guess the point I'm trying to make is not everyone has the money or time to try that flavor of the month, but we will make the time to run what we know and introduce others into the sport it only takes one time to know if you love it or hate it. There's no fault in taking it back to it's roots. It only takes one time to hear that locate and be hooked. Too many are in it to make a name it truly becomes a part of who you are. It annoyes me to hear that y'all blame it only numbers, if that's the case take time and introduce kids to the sport I can't wait for the day I take my son along with me to enjoy these great recourses God himself has put on this earth for us to enjoy.

Thank for the replies God bless and happy hunting

Old Post 06-22-2018 05:43 AM
blacksc1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blacksc1 Click here to Send blacksc1 a Private Message Click Here to Email blacksc1 Find more posts by blacksc1 Add blacksc1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Blacksc1

Well spoken young man, coonhunting isn't just about competition hunting. It is a sport to be enjoyed. Best wishes and happy hunting my young friend. Dave

Old Post 06-22-2018 05:57 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

I have posted this before of the 7 or 8 guys I hunt with and 3 on a regular basis I am the only one that comp hunts any and that is about 10-12 hunts a year. One of my buddies as a 16 yo son who has been to 2 hunts with me. One of my other buddies has a 24 yo son who only hunts during season and an occasional Big Coon contest. My son because of work only got to hunt with me a few times during season and rode along has my back-up handler on one comp hunt this spring. But that may change. He may be getting a promotion at work that will put him on day shift. Coon hunting is still alive and well IMHO.

When the law of the land becomes unjust outlaws will rise to take their place in history.

Old Post 06-22-2018 01:22 PM
Chuck Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chuck Allen Click here to Send Chuck Allen a Private Message Find more posts by Chuck Allen Add Chuck Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roy Grant
UKC Forum Member

You guys are really blessed on several counts. Having that many hunters to enjoy our sport with, and with that many guys it is apparent you have plenty of timber. Awesome. I have only 3 spots left and with the dogs I have some nights I hit all 3 and home to watch the news. If I hunt with my friends, 60 and 90 miles 1 way. I am jealous. LOL

Old Post 06-23-2018 02:03 AM
Roy Grant is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Grant Click here to Send Roy Grant a Private Message Click Here to Email Roy Grant Find more posts by Roy Grant Add Roy Grant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

blacksc1 let me ask a special favor from a young hunter with friends that just like to hunt. Please keep in mind to be respectful of those that are not thrilled about your hunting. Respect the land of those that allow you to hunt, private or Government land. Be a caretaker of the land and the sport of coon hunting.

Old Post 06-23-2018 12:11 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I might be a big dummy buuuuut when people would rather talk about cheating , fighting , and gloom and doom than fresh baked buttermilk biscuits I think there is a problem Vern lol !!!

Tar

Old Post 06-24-2018 02:44 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tar

You see what makes headline news, don't you? All the bad stuff, cooking is way down the list. Shows you what people want to see, or at least the news people think they do. Dave

Old Post 06-24-2018 02:54 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blacksc1
UKC Forum Member

Mr. Grant we are very fortunate to have a lot of government land within an hours drive from the house. Few private tracts as well but mostly one turnout a piece. But have driven 3+ hours to hunt places that coon were plentiful.

Mr. Conkey I will do my best.

Dave and Tar 90% of media is meant to misguide and sway people opinions to fit there own agenda.

Old Post 06-24-2018 05:21 AM
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
I might be a big dummy buuuuut when people would rather talk about cheating , fighting , and gloom and doom than fresh baked buttermilk biscuits I think there is a problem Vern lol !!!

Tar

I am on the KETO diet no more biscuits or pancakes for me.

When the law of the land becomes unjust outlaws will rise to take their place in history.

Old Post 06-24-2018 03:51 PM
Chuck Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chuck Allen Click here to Send Chuck Allen a Private Message Find more posts by Chuck Allen Add Chuck Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote