UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Off Topic > The Gardening Thread
Pages (18): « First ... « 13 14 [15] 16 17 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

We had frost here this Am. 5 deer walked through the back yard on Tuesday night, one got under the apple tree stood on his back legs and was eating the leaves off of it. My favorite tree is a dwarf Gala, it only has a few blossoms on it.
It's gonna rain all day today ... forecast calling for over an inch of rain. The rest of the week looks good so I'm hope to get something done in my flower beds.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-09-2021 04:05 PM
Rex Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rex Ridge Click here to Send Rex Ridge a Private Message Find more posts by Rex Ridge Add Rex Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Last week from Saturday - Thursday we got almost 19" of rain. 10.25" fell in 4 hours early Saturday morning! The Seneca area had some major flooding. Our city crews luckily were able to get the streets cleaned and debris cleared by weekend for our big Independence Day celebration in town. Mom's garden in the bottom about got drown! I think everything is going to pull out of it except the green beans. They look growth stunted and the leaves have turned yellow. On the bright side the corn looks great! Most everybody's tomatoes are leggy but are still producing some. Maybe the much needed sunshine 🌞 we got this weekend will help pull them out.
I got some much needed work done in the garden today, lots of pulling of weeds! I've still got to finish mulching and maybe now that I've got it back in order and the rain had stopped I can get it finished this week. I pruned the tomatoes and removed leaves with blight from all the rain and got their cages all properly staked. A couple are looking pretty rough but are alive and have some green ones. I've built a rainbow for my cucumber plants to climb on this year from cattle panels arched from fence post to fence post forming a rainbow I can walk under. It should help with pests and make picking easier. Today I trained the vines that were sprawling on the ground back onto the fence.
Yesterday for dinner at mom's Ash and I made cucumbers and onions.
My recipe...
Make enough to cover cucumbers and onions. Yesterday I added diced tomatoes too.
Equal parts apple cider vinegar and water
Plenty of salt and sugar (sorry I don't measure but for a quart of liquid it will have around 1/4 cup of salt and 1/2 cup of sugar. The mixture is not sweet but balanced and plenty sour from the ACV)
Black pepper
Stir until sugar and salt is dissolved then pour over the veggies. Best when allowed to set over night or at least a few hours.
In the summer I use a half gallon jar kept in the fidge and add more cucumbers and onions as we eat them.
This week I'm going to fry up some green tomatoes!

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 07-06-2021 04:36 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

Jen, we have a pontoon boat for sale.
We needed rain, but not that much; we got 2.5" in 2 days. I think that helped out a lot.
Glad most of your garden is going to survive. My flowers aren't surviving a 4 legged critter. No squash or cucumbers either. I haven't checked the blueberries for a few days. There were lots, they just weren't ripe yet.

Old Post 07-06-2021 05:20 PM
Rex Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rex Ridge Click here to Send Rex Ridge a Private Message Find more posts by Rex Ridge Add Rex Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

RR, Our friends in PA said it had been really dry up there. A while back he said one of the driest springs he had witnessed. If we get much anytime soon I may need that boat! Mom has lived out here since 58 and hadn't seen the creek at her house that high.
My squash didn't come up or something ate the seeds not sure which but I'm pretty disappointed. I had saw where some moles had been a while back. I'm hoping my neighbor has a bumper crop lol.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 07-07-2021 05:11 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chuck west
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Redneck Mafia
RR, Our friends in PA said it had been really dry up there. A while back he said one of the driest springs he had witnessed. If we get much anytime soon I may need that boat! Mom has lived out here since 58 and hadn't seen the creek at her house that high.
My squash didn't come up or something ate the seeds not sure which but I'm pretty disappointed. I had saw where some moles had been a while back. I'm hoping my neighbor has a bumper crop lol.

Declare all out war on moles and chipmunks ,,lol

Gold Life member of G.P.A.A. #257936
Member of The Lost Dutchman's Mining Association #02890729

Old Post 07-07-2021 03:39 PM
chuck west is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chuck west Click here to Send chuck west a Private Message Find more posts by chuck west Add chuck west to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

We have a couple of barn cats that are great hunters. There's usually a dead rodent in or near the barn every am.
It had been dry, but the last couple of weeks, we've been getting our fair share of rain. Some places down near Pgh are flooding, but we aren't getting that much. Blueberries are getting ripe. Chuck has been chasing crows out of them.

Old Post 07-12-2021 04:59 AM
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

Blueberries are getting ripe, we sold our first ones this year today. And the couple that got them left us a couple of zucchini 😋 We have apples, plums, peaches and pears, but because of the frost, Chuck didn't spray them so they don't look very nice and are falling off. The deer don't seem to mind, they'd rather eat them off the ground. It seems they have a hard time walking around on their back legs eating them off the tree. I'm afraid they'll lose their balance fall and get hurt 😉

Old Post 07-18-2021 04:56 AM
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

I plan to start cultivating a few black raspberrys, wondering if anyone has experience and advice? My main question is, does it pay by buying plants that have been developed or is getting starts from wild plants just as good?

Last edited by sleepy head on 07-19-2021 at 12:36 AM

Old Post 07-19-2021 12:05 AM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

We bought ours, they did well until the weedeater (porcupines) found them.

Old Post 07-20-2021 02:18 AM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

It's That Time of Year Again.

Time to get your hands dirty and the garden ready for those early crops!
Just last Friday it was snowing and night temps were in the teens. Today it's a beautiful day in the Ozarks and 72°!
Tomorrow is St. Patrick's Day and that means potato planting day around here. I've got the potatoes drying that I cut up so they will be ready to go in the ground. Take your seed potatoes or if your like me some from your basket that are past their prime and starting to get spouts. You want around 3 eyes per chunk. Allow the chunks to skin over where you cut for a couple of days.
Last October my youngest daughter Ashton got married and she and her husband Tyler live on a farm in NE OK with wonderful river bottom dirt. Most of these potatoes will be planted at their place.. Ash is planting a big garden as her first. Lot's of seeds are starting to germinate indoors and I will be helping her and teaching her to can this summer. I will still put in my little garden and mom hers. With the economy and uncertainty around the world every backyard needs a garden!
Many of you can get started now with potatoes, onion and even peas. Soon other cool weather lovers can be put in the ground.

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 03-16-2022 08:17 PM
RC-Abby
UKC Forum Member

Jen

Last Sunday eve I pulled last years plants. Way to wet to do anything else. ASAP I will get into my rotten manure pile and get garden covered and mixed in. But I am forecasting 1 more big snow here in N/W Ohio.

Keep us posted on the Ozark weather and garden progress!

Time to get hands dirty? LoL!!! Have more of a problem trying to get all the cracks clean.

Randi

Old Post 03-18-2022 10:29 PM
RC-Abby is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RC-Abby Click here to Send RC-Abby a Private Message Find more posts by RC-Abby Add RC-Abby to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

From from garden time here ...weather is one factor and I'm the other. My horse fell when I was riding her, I went off, broke my collar bone. 6 ribs and my tibia. It happened 2 weeks a yesterday. I'm still not home yet. I was in Erie for a week half the time in the Trauma ICU and the rest on the general floor. They transferred me closer to home last Saturday to a Rehab facility. Hope to get out on the 23rd.
Chuck is trimming fruit trees. Too many deer around to put in a garden.

Old Post 03-20-2022 11:39 PM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Rex Ridge
From from garden time here ...weather is one factor and I'm the other. My horse fell when I was riding her, I went off, broke my collar bone. 6 ribs and my tibia. It happened 2 weeks a yesterday. I'm still not home yet. I was in Erie for a week half the time in the Trauma ICU and the rest on the general floor. They transferred me closer to home last Saturday to a Rehab facility. Hope to get out on the 23rd.
Chuck is trimming fruit trees. Too many deer around to put in a garden.

Goodness gracious Rex Ridge! I hope you heal up good that sounds like one heck of a horse wreck! You may need Chuck to just put in a few patio pots with your faves. Maybe you can keep the deer off the porch lol.
Today it was almost 80 here but my daughters-in-law said we could get more snow Wednesday into Thurs morning! These peeper frogs are going to get dizzy going up and down. I went to Ashy's yesterday and helped her plant a few fruit trees and some more bulbs down her yard fence. Her father-in-law brought a huge load of compost and dumped it on the edge of her garden. It is going to take us a while to get it spread out so he can come back and till it in! The grandkids were trying to help with it and were smelly, dirty messes before we called it a day.
PS today we burnt off our woods and cleaned in them until almost dark. I'm trying to get rid of any place of refuge they have!

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 03-21-2022 02:14 AM
RC-Abby
UKC Forum Member

Mrs.Ridge

I assume? I sure hope you get healed up quickly. Too many deer! I have to laugh. Sorry! Last 3 years I have planted sweetcorn (12 rows 100yds long) got 4 ears last yr. Between coon and deer. They eat the ears when only inch long. I spent a day putting 2 electric wires up last year. That was a joke. Deer jumped the top 1 and I watched the coon get bit then jump the bottom 1. Guess they like sweetcorn too. The good part is I can have a hot coon chase any night of the week while the corn lasts.

We got over a inch of rain this past Friday. Calling for rain Tuesday thru Thursday.

Randi

Old Post 03-21-2022 02:32 AM
RC-Abby is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RC-Abby Click here to Send RC-Abby a Private Message Find more posts by RC-Abby Add RC-Abby to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

When we planted sweet corn, we thought we'd have lots of coon chases, but we got bear and porcupine, too.
I got out of rehab facility, it's kind of good to be home. Wish we had a hospital bed, the recliner isn't cutting it.

Old Post 03-23-2022 11:32 PM
RC-Abby
UKC Forum Member

THAT IS GREAT!

Glad to hear you are home. That means you are on the mend.

Yep the critters sure do like sweetcorn too. You can't fault them for that.

Randi

Old Post 03-24-2022 01:35 AM
RC-Abby
UKC Forum Member

Weather

Well 3 mornings this week the ground was frozen. Had snow flurries on & off all week with ground cover once. Listening to weather as I type. Rain moving in and will be rain snow mix by midnight. Rainy and cold all next week.

Now the bright side. I ordered my garden plants from a friend's wife early this week. And ordered sweetcorn seed yesterday.

The eagles have hatched. Coon and rabbits have babies. Momma cat has her kittens. So warm weather is coming soon. Just have to be patient and be ready.

Randi

Old Post 04-02-2022 09:32 PM
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

Randi, it is MS. 39 yrs on April 15th. We have snow her this AM in NWPA. Still healing, it's been a month since my accident. I see the doctor again the end of April so will still have my leg in a brace and can't lift with my left hand until then. He said I might have my leg in a brace until June 😞

Old Post 04-03-2022 02:46 PM
RC-Abby
UKC Forum Member

Update?

Rain cold windy and ground covered with snow twice since last post. Did plant some peas and green beans. Not much hope for the beans. Calling for upper 20s Sat. night and rain/snow mix Monday. Called about sweetcorn I ordered. They said, they are having trouble getting my brand of corn this year.

Congratulations!! Mr. & Ms. Ridge! Ms. Ridge sure hope you are still on the mend and getting ready to get back in the saddle.

Randi

Old Post 04-14-2022 10:18 PM
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

Thank you, Randi. We stayed at home and got on each others' nerves today. Tomorrow, we're going to our son's to go out to eat and celebrate our anniversary and Easter. I'm letting him off easy this year, next year I told him I wanted something with a Ruby on it.
I'm feeling pretty good from my accident, but I'm not to lift anything with my left arm or can't walk without a brace so that's been a drag and it seems the lack of exercise has my Parkinson's getting a little worse. Hoping the end of the month, I get ok from doctor to get rid of the brace and cane and can ride soon.

Chuck's been trimming trees in the orchard. He only has a few more left to do.

What kind of sweet corn do you plant? We always liked Incredible or Bodacious.

Jen, Again I'm sorry for the loss of your FIL. Chuck's dad passed on March 7th on his 91st birthday. He use to hunt with Chuck a lot in the late 70s and 80s. He had dementia. They were trying to find a room for him in a nursing home, but since he was combative, not many would take him. He passed away in the hospital before a room became available.

Old Post 04-16-2022 02:59 AM
RC-Abby
UKC Forum Member

Ms. Ridge

Kinda wondering bout that Ruby. I don't know saddles very well, so where would you put a Ruby so you could see it? LoL!! All I can tell you bout my sweetcorn seed is Bi-color 75 day Roundup Ready and 25 pound bag.

Mind set: I'm firm believer if a person sets their mind to do something they can do it. And keeping God involved is the biggest help!

Weather showing 27 for tonight. Rain/snow Monday.

What kinda fruit trees do you have?

Randi

Old Post 04-16-2022 06:43 PM
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

In 1992, we started our orchard with 36 fruit trees 6 each of: plum, pear, cherry, nectarine, peach, and apple. Plus a dozen or 2 blueberry bushes. Mother nature takes away and we keep adding with mostly apple. All the nectarines are gone. We have different nut trees, too; but the squirrels get more of them than we do. At least they don't need trimmed, but chestnut and black walnut are work in the fall.

Old Post 04-16-2022 10:28 PM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Thanks RR. Our 30th anniversary was yesterday and the ruby is my birthstone. For Christmas Cheyenne was going to buy me a ruby ring I had been eying but it was gone. The girls convinced him to get me a new sectional for the living room instead of jewelry... not near the sparkle but way more practical lol.
We haven't done much with the garden just waiting on the last frost. The seeds Ashy started are coming along nicely and Tyler got the compost spread out in her garden. Tyler is now talking about maybe selling the farm and buying a smaller one. Sis is worried about the time we get it going they will be moving. She has big garden and canning plans! Mom's been moving the tomato plants out during the good weather then back in at night to harden them off before they go in the ground. This will make for thicker stalks and more resilient plants.
It's been cool and windy here for what seems like weeks. Yesterday and today are better and it's suppose to really warm up over the weekend. It will be after the first of May before I chance putting any warmer weather above ground crops in the ground and even then we will have to watch the weather!

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 04-19-2022 03:59 PM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Let the planting begin!

After the 1st of May it's usually pretty safe to start planting around here. Cheyenne went down to mom's last Wednesday and tilled her garden again and she was up bright and early Thursday planting and mulching. Ash got part of hers done yesterday and I'm going over to help her with the rest tomorrow.
Our trees are leafing out and mowing is getting hard to keep up with already. Cheyenne's roses are getting buds. Spring is finally here!
We have bad storms expected tonight with wind, hail and possible tornadoes. Typical spring weather for us lol!

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 05-02-2022 09:21 PM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

It's been raining cats and dogs! I helped Ash plant beans and carrots Tuesday evening but we ran out of daylight. There is alot of space to get filled and a basket full of seeds but probably a good thing it's not all in. She planted sweet peppers she'd started from seed. Ashton has a green thumb like her Grandma Yeakey did, hopefully they don't get drowned out. Tyler had to move their cows from the lower pastures to higher ground this morning. Their property borders Spring River and it's expected to crest several feet above flood stage.
Mom had gotten her garden all in and it looked like a rice paddy when I drove by this afternoon lol. Nothing was up yet so time will tell on what germinates. We may be doing a little replanting to fill in the blank spots.

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 05-06-2022 05:12 AM