UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Young people
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
dustin84
UKC Forum Member

Young people

I have had something on my mind since yesterday that has really being bothering me and would like to know if it’s taking place everywhere I assume it is but don’t know I live in Avery county nc a small town and grew up here I counted last night after our club meeting i was 15 16 at the time I had 11 drops around in a 15 minute diameter to turn a dog loose any night I wanted to I’m 34 now and lost another place over the weekend which leaves me only 4 drops I can turn a dog loose at and not have to worry my question is this why the youth are not coon hunting/deer or whatever it may be is because my situation people just don’t won’t knowbody on there land if it wasn’t for me coonhunting at 15 16 who knows where I would be now my situation was a piece of land I have hunted since I was 15 got sold and nobody is allowed to be back on it period makes me disappointed but I can’t do anything about it which brings me to my next point I think youth can have smart mouth this that and the other but if that kid had no where to hunt we as local good men Ned to step in and clinge to that kid to hunt with no matter what excuses are given we keep them in the woods coon hunting and in the wildlife and they enjoy it they will be less to stay out of other issues to get the self in a bit of trouble for those of you that do this I honor you so much our club does a hunt every year the kid can’t be over 12 and we do 5 kids I took a autistic kid last year on this hunt killed his first coon ever and we had a ball we do it to get youth involved but just run into so many land laws Thanks just want to vent

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-15-2018 04:35 AM
dustin84 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dustin84 Click here to Send dustin84 a Private Message Click Here to Email dustin84 Find more posts by dustin84 Add dustin84 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

When we lost our rite to retrieve it almost killed coon hunting in NC.

Need to vote this november
All nc hunters and fisherman need to look into and vote for themselves this is The North Carolina Right to Hunt and Fish Amendment is on the ballot in North Carolina as a legislatively referred constitutional amendment on November 6, 2018.[1] look it up and vote

GrNtCh Big Money
GrNtCh North Mt Mort
T&R’s Homemade Trouble

GrNtChGrCh Homemade Josie.
Homemade Tank.
GrNtCh Hardwood Bean (SEMEN)
GrNtCh Abbotts Bawling Rebel (SEMEN)
GrNtChGrCh Tj's Stylish Lipper (SEMEN)
GrNtCh Nite Life Pay Dirt (SEMEN)
GrNtCh PKC Ch Poison Smoke (SEMEN)

HomeMade Kennels
Newton N.C

2010 SETWA BREEDER OF THE YEAR!!
(828) 302-5480

Old Post 08-15-2018 11:40 AM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wildcat3
UKC Forum Member

I've said it before and even posted threads on here about it. The one main thing that hurts coon hunting the most is places to hunt. Like you, I'm 34 and had hounds all my life. I wouldnt know what to do if I came home in the evenings and didn't have to take care of dogs. Right around my house I've got may 3-4 small patches I can hunt. Its big woods but broken up in the small land owner parcels. I've got to constantly keep and eye on my Garmin and tone them back when getting close to property lines. Right now with deer season coming in I have zero places to hunt around my house. I will have to either hunt gamelands or drive 50 miles to a deer lease I'm on that I'm allowed to coon hunt anytime deer season or not. With a family and working during the week its tough to drive 50 miles to hunt during the week. I'm a very serious hunter and I've got one of the kennels and set ups around for my hounds but no place to hunt. I've got 5 10x20 covered kennels with power and running water to them, Alpha system and at least half a dozen collars. Right now there is one dog sitting in my kennels. Nothing special he's probably around 7 years old, strictly a pleasure hound. Sometimes he looks good and trees a few coons and sometimes I wonder why I feed him. My point being if I had more places to safely hunt I would get more serious about finding some stronger dog power. I'd raise a pup and hunt some young dogs, keep and old honest dog around to help with the pups and the pleasures hunts. I'd probably even try my hand at a NITE hunt. I told myself a few weeks ago while I was hunting one night and having to constantly glance at my Garmin that I'd try hunting some on our gamelands and national forest this year. Its only about a 30 minute drive to most spots for me. If its half way enjoyable and decent hunting I'm going to start looking for a young dog or something with more power than what I've got. I did not mean to get long winded but I know exactly where the original poster is coming from. It gets harder and harder every year and unless its something you've done for a long time thats basically part of your life its almost not even worth the trouble.

Old Post 08-15-2018 02:16 PM
wildcat3 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wildcat3 Click here to Send wildcat3 a Private Message Click Here to Email wildcat3 Find more posts by wildcat3 Add wildcat3 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
T Felderman
UKC Forum Member

I agree loss of hunting

I've lost probably 50% of my hunting in the last 10 years to deer hunters and Mennonite families by up all the older landowners farms.

There is a farm 1 mile outside of Bellevue known as Tally's that I think every coon hunter in the US knows. Best coon hunting anywhere. If I lose that spot its going to be hard for me to keep putting the boots on.

Old Post 08-15-2018 02:31 PM
T Felderman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for T Felderman Click here to Send T Felderman a Private Message Find more posts by T Felderman Add T Felderman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nathan Harder
UKC Forum Member

I just recently got a pup an and older dog to start coonhunting. Deer hunting is King here and already know to tread lightly. I already came across one trail cam running the dogs around here. Majority of places I go are large family owned tracts and have permission to go from one family member but I know that there will be some complaints if I keep popping up on the cameras with the hounds. A lot of these guys around here all used to have hounds when the prices of hides were good. Now nobody has hounds and nobody traps. I think those are factors in declining places to hunt. With all that said, the youth are not gonna be taught how to hunt coons but to go after "Trophy Deer" which means a section of quiet timber for an old smart buck to use.

Iraq War Vet 03-04, 05-06
RECON
618-410-3034

Last edited by Nathan Harder on 08-15-2018 at 05:29 PM

Old Post 08-15-2018 05:26 PM
Nathan Harder is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nathan Harder Click here to Send Nathan Harder a Private Message Click Here to Email Nathan Harder Find more posts by Nathan Harder Add Nathan Harder to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lynn Tubbs
UKC Forum Member

Lost all of my places to hunt except one. I think when my old dog dies I am done. Already sold all my pens except one , all my tracking systems except Garmin 320 and one collar.

Old Post 08-15-2018 07:04 PM
Lynn Tubbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lynn Tubbs Click here to Send Lynn Tubbs a Private Message Click Here to Email Lynn Tubbs Find more posts by Lynn Tubbs Add Lynn Tubbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lynn Tubbs
UKC Forum Member

Lost all of my places to hunt except one. I think when my old dog dies I am done. Already sold all my pens except one , all my tracking systems except Garmin 320 and one collar.

Old Post 08-15-2018 07:05 PM
Lynn Tubbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lynn Tubbs Click here to Send Lynn Tubbs a Private Message Click Here to Email Lynn Tubbs Find more posts by Lynn Tubbs Add Lynn Tubbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rocketman55
UKC Forum Member

Funny thing is I was just thinking about this very topic this morning when I awoke. The problem here is basically the same as it is everywhere. "Deer Hunters" 95% of ALL out of state deer hunters, and at least 80% of ALL instate deer hunters have NO intention of ever sharing the lad they have purchased or leased with any other individual or group. They don't care about the sport at all, they only care that they have a place to hunt their deer.

I was wondering just this morning, why I should care about the sport of deer hunting, since they have NO respect for the type hunting that I like to do. It won't be much longer here in Ohio till all small game hunting will be done on public land.It makes me wonder if I should start to petition for the end of ALL hunting since, the hunting that I like to do is being eliminated by the SELFISH deer hunters. And especially so, the out of state deer hunters that are buying and leasing up all the old family farms in and around my area.

How do I make them realize it is better to have me as their ally than to have me as their enemy. I sure hope ONE horn hunter reads this post!!!

Glouster, Ohio 45732
Home To:
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Hang'em High Holly
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Rockets Top Gun.
Gr.Nt.Ch.Hooper Ridge Rocket
Gr.Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Dolly
Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Queen
Nt.Ch Raw Dawg Rowdy
PR Tree Banging Buddy
HOOPER RIDGE ENGLISH-POUND FOR POUND THEY ARE ONE TOUGH HOUND!!!!

Old Post 08-15-2018 08:56 PM
Rocketman55 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rocketman55 Click here to Send Rocketman55 a Private Message Click Here to Email Rocketman55 Find more posts by Rocketman55 Add Rocketman55 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Eric Bierman
UKC Forum Member

Mennonite landowners

Todd, you're losing hunting land to Mennonite landowners? I find this hard to believe, with my experiences. Actually try taking the boys with you. If you're like me, you'll always have hunting buddies. I got so many going with me, I gotta take 2 trucks, stack em like cord wood in the back, and shove em with the dogs in the box!

Old Post 08-16-2018 01:46 AM
Eric Bierman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Eric Bierman Click here to Send Eric Bierman a Private Message Find more posts by Eric Bierman Add Eric Bierman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JAH
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Rocketman55
I was wondering just this morning, why I should care about the sport of deer hunting, since they have NO respect for the type hunting that I like to do. It won't be much longer here in Ohio till all small game hunting will be done on public land.It makes me wonder if I should start to petition for the end of ALL hunting since, the hunting that I like to do is being eliminated by the SELFISH deer hunters. And especially so, the out of state deer hunters that are buying and leasing up all the old family farms in and around my area.

How do I make them realize it is better to have me as their ally than to have me as their enemy. I sure hope ONE horn hunter reads this post!!!

Seriously you call yourself a hunter but wondering if you should start a petition to end all hunting since you are losing some hunting spots? Just because of deer hunters.That is one of the many problems hunters have.None of you can get along with ones that hunt a different game then you do.It is all about you and what you hunt. Talk about being childish.What are you 3 years old?

Old Post 08-16-2018 02:19 AM
JAH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JAH Click here to Send JAH a Private Message Click Here to Email JAH Find more posts by JAH Add JAH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blacksc1
UKC Forum Member

You just have to arm yourself with knowledge when it comes to deer leases, my professor in college ran a study on coon hunting and it's effects on deer hunting. I wish still had a copy or knew where it was published. If you want look it up James (Jim) Westerhole SCDNR. Coon hunting had no effect on deer movements. For those of you who can feed corn, coon on a corn pile is a waste of money in my opinion. I'm a bow hunting fanatic but I'll go load the box as soon as I'm home and go turn out in the same woods I just deer hunted. And I've killed some good bucks mornings after I have ran dogs all night. Not everyone will agree but most are just ignorant. But once Jan 2nd comes s majority will let you run dogs on property. Either be respectful and ask permission and wait your turn or you can just turn em loose.

Old Post 08-16-2018 02:27 AM
blacksc1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blacksc1 Click here to Send blacksc1 a Private Message Click Here to Email blacksc1 Find more posts by blacksc1 Add blacksc1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dennis McCoy
UKC Forum Member

The brochure is "The Impact of Sport Raccoon Hunting on Deer Movement and Deer Hunting Success". You can get it from the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources, Furbearer Project, P.O. Box 167, Columbia, SC 29202 (803-734-3607). It is free and you can call them and have some sent to you. It is good to put out at hunt club functions.

Old Post 08-16-2018 04:55 PM
Dennis McCoy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis McCoy Click here to Send Dennis McCoy a Private Message Click Here to Email Dennis McCoy Find more posts by Dennis McCoy Add Dennis McCoy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jgarrett
UKC Forum Member

The deer hunting fanatics have brainwashed so many hunters with info like in the video below. I have read and referred to the South Carolina study many times but it is just hard to convince someone that has no interest in coon hunting. I know I have walked within 50 yards of deer bedded no more than 100 yards of dogs treed and then walked right back by them when we leave the tree and the deer never moved. It would be pretty cool if we videoed these type of encounters and put it out there to dispute the do not disturb deer sanctuary theories.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...amp;FORM=VRRTAP

Old Post 08-16-2018 05:39 PM
Jgarrett is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jgarrett Click here to Send Jgarrett a Private Message Click Here to Email Jgarrett Find more posts by Jgarrett Add Jgarrett to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
T Felderman
UKC Forum Member

Re: Mennonite landowners

quote:
Originally posted by Eric Bierman
Todd, you're losing hunting land to Mennonite landowners? I find this hard to believe, with my experiences. Actually try taking the boys with you. If you're like me, you'll always have hunting buddies. I got so many going with me, I gotta take 2 trucks, stack em like cord wood in the back, and shove em with the dogs in the box!

You come down get permission and we will go!

Old Post 08-16-2018 06:30 PM
T Felderman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for T Felderman Click here to Send T Felderman a Private Message Find more posts by T Felderman Add T Felderman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ricochet17
UKC Forum Member

Re: Mennonite landowners

quote:
Originally posted by Eric Bierman

Wow, that's funniest stuff I've heard in a long time.

Old Post 08-19-2018 01:27 PM
Ricochet17 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ricochet17 Click here to Send Ricochet17 a Private Message Find more posts by Ricochet17 Add Ricochet17 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by blacksc1
You just have to arm yourself with knowledge when it comes to deer leases, my professor in college ran a study on coon hunting and it's effects on deer hunting. I wish still had a copy or knew where it was published. If you want look it up James (Jim) Westerhole SCDNR. Coon hunting had no effect on deer movements. For those of you who can feed corn, coon on a corn pile is a waste of money in my opinion. I'm a bow hunting fanatic but I'll go load the box as soon as I'm home and go turn out in the same woods I just deer hunted. And I've killed some good bucks mornings after I have ran dogs all night. Not everyone will agree but most are just ignorant. But once Jan 2nd comes s majority will let you run dogs on property. Either be respectful and ask permission and wait your turn or you can just turn em loose.

X2 I HAVE HUNTED DEER IN FRONT OF DEER HOUNDS IN THE CAROLINAS , BELONGED TO A CLUB WHERE I WAS THE ONLY COON HUNTER AND WAS NEVER AFRAID TO TURN MY DOGS LOOSE WITH DEER OR FOX HOUNDS RUNNING IN THE SAME WOODS AND TREE COONS ALL AROUND THEM. DEER HUNTING TV IS THE PROBLEM. IMHO THE WHOLE DEER WILL GO NOCTURNAL IF THEY ARE DISTURBED IS BS. COON AND FOX HUNTERS WILL ENSURE DEER MOVE IN THE DAY TIME. JMHO

When the law of the land becomes unjust outlaws will rise to take their place in history.

Old Post 08-19-2018 02:57 PM
Chuck Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chuck Allen Click here to Send Chuck Allen a Private Message Find more posts by Chuck Allen Add Chuck Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RC-Abby
UKC Forum Member

Young People or Old Ones like me

We all need the time to be in the wide open. It will clear your mind. Lawsuits!! Deer Hunting!! Hunting without Permission!! These are the topics I hear when asking for permission to coon hunt. And I explain how these can be taken care of with the stroke of a pen. I have insurance, I'm getting permission. I don't hunt their property during gun season. And a text telling me to stay out bow hunter and the morning. This is how I'm getting permission. It is working for me.

Old Post 08-19-2018 04:07 PM
RC-Abby is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RC-Abby Click here to Send RC-Abby a Private Message Find more posts by RC-Abby Add RC-Abby to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
x145merlin
UKC Forum Member

I'm unable to hunt an entire section because one of the land owners will not allow me to even retrieve my dog if it trees on his property. Reason,,,, he leases his land to a deer hunter... The other land owners would like to have some of the coon harvested... "some days I don't drink nearly enough"...

Old Post 08-26-2018 10:26 PM
x145merlin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for x145merlin Click here to Send x145merlin a Private Message Click Here to Email x145merlin Find more posts by x145merlin Add x145merlin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

If someone wants to coon hunt. They coon hunt. It's as simple as that

Old Post 08-27-2018 02:51 AM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ricochet17
UKC Forum Member

No trail camera or trespassing signs will stop those kind of hunters Josh.

Old Post 08-27-2018 03:08 AM
Ricochet17 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ricochet17 Click here to Send Ricochet17 a Private Message Find more posts by Ricochet17 Add Ricochet17 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

You're talking about losing land because deer hunters have leased it all. Why don't you try and find you a spot and lease it. As far as starting a petition to stop hunting because you have lost spots is ignorant. Things like this is what will put an end to hunting. Hunters are our own worst enemies. If someone doesn't hunt the same way we do or the same species we can't support them. I do agree that deer hunters are making it hard on everybody especially houndsmen. You could have multiple studies showing the effects or the lack there of of hound hunting effecting deer movement and it wouldn't matter.

Old Post 08-28-2018 01:23 AM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toad Hill
UKC Forum Member

I'm blessed to have more land than i can hunt BUT then again i dont have the coon population most of you do either.

I used to hunt with an old man yrs ago that would pull us up to a gate with a NO TRESPASSING sign on it and purple paint on every post . I said , do you have permission to hunt here ? This sure is heavily POSTED !!! He said nawww but thats just for deer hunters
LOL

Old Post 08-28-2018 03:51 PM
Toad Hill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Toad Hill Click here to Send Toad Hill a Private Message Find more posts by Toad Hill Add Toad Hill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by x145merlin
I'm unable to hunt an entire section because one of the land owners will not allow me to even retrieve my dog if it trees on his property. Reason,,,, he leases his land to a deer hunter... The other land owners would like to have some of the coon harvested... "some days I don't drink nearly enough"...
Google "Tone 'em in" by John Wick, follow directions and go hunting.

Old Post 08-28-2018 03:59 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

I heard that tresspassing fines are much cheaper than buying and/or leasing land....

Least that's what I heard

Old Post 08-28-2018 05:39 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wdingus
UKC Forum Member

Permission to Hunt

I am a younger guy (27) and it can definitely be tough for young guys (or anyone) to find and keep places to hunt, but if there is a will there is a way. Go ask for permission, the worst the can say is no and who knows they might just say yes. One thing I have learned is to forget the deer clubs and make friends with the farmer/ property owner personally. Getting permission to hunt places is all about relationships and maintaining those relationships. Property getting sold or changing hands can certainly complicate that but if you make friends with the farmer/ property owner and offer to help out around the farm when he needs an extra hand or maintain roads, gates, etc... you will be amazed at how many places will open up to you regardless of deer leases. You might not make any friends with the deer hunters but they only lease the land they don't own it so the owner has the final say. If you have a signed permission slip from the property owner there isn't sh*t the deer hunters can do. Another thing I have learned, in addition to helping around the farm is send the man a Christmas card or take him a small gift around the holidays (doesn't have to be anything big). Show them you appreciate them and being able to hunt their place. Be sure to take care of people and they will take care of you.

PR BUBBA"S BIG TALKING BEAR (RIP)

Last edited by wdingus on 08-28-2018 at 06:53 PM

Old Post 08-28-2018 06:27 PM
wdingus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wdingus Click here to Send wdingus a Private Message Click Here to Email wdingus Find more posts by wdingus Add wdingus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote