UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Fox race question for Tar
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

Fox race question for Tar

Tar what would you do with 2 gyps than ran a fox hard for 45 minutes between a cornfield and some cattails in a slough on the river and then caught them a big boar coon on the ground. What do you think they just stumbled across a sick coon.

When the law of the land becomes unjust outlaws will rise to take their place in history.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-14-2018 03:00 AM
Chuck Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chuck Allen Click here to Send Chuck Allen a Private Message Find more posts by Chuck Allen Add Chuck Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Enjoy every minute of it !!

Tar

Old Post 08-14-2018 03:10 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

I DID AND STOPPED BY MCD AND GOT THOSE 2 GYPS A SAUSAGE BISCUIT. LOL

THEY ARE SURE STOVE UP THOUGH , THAT COON WAS FOUL TEMPERED AND HAD THEM BACKED UP BY THE TIME I GOT THERE , I WAS NOT SURE WHO HAD WHO CORNERED. LOL , THAT OLD RIDGE RUNNER WILL LIVE TO RUN ANOTHER NIGHT. IN DECEMBER ONE COULD PROBABLY WIN A BIG COON CONTEST WITH THAT RASCAL.

When the law of the land becomes unjust outlaws will rise to take their place in history.

Old Post 08-14-2018 03:45 AM
Chuck Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chuck Allen Click here to Send Chuck Allen a Private Message Find more posts by Chuck Allen Add Chuck Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Chuck Allen

Get you a shock collar and break them good fox dogs off those trashy coons. Lol. Dave

Old Post 08-14-2018 06:34 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

Chuck what makes you think it was a fox race? Couldn't that ole coon been what they were running all the time? Sounds like the right territory for a good long race.

Old Post 08-14-2018 01:05 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

THE GUY I WAS HUNTING WITH DID NOT THINK IT WAS A COON UNTIL THEY CAUGHT IT THIS SAME FRIEND WAS HUNTING WITH ME IN JANUARY AND HE THOUGHT THEY WERE RUNNING A DEER TOO AND I TOLD HIM WELL THEY JUST TREED THAT DEER LETS GO SEE. THE POINT I AM TRYING TO MAKE IS THE SLAM BAMS ARE FUN , BUT I REALLY LIKE A GOOD LONG HARD RACE EVEN BETTER. JMHO

Old Post 08-14-2018 02:49 PM
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

I like a good long hard race too. Two different races through the years come to mind. I'm not going to say how long they were because it would cause some disbelief. Both were in bear territory and I would have enjoyed them a lot better if I had been sure they were coon since all I was carrying was a single shot 22. Turned out they were both exceptionally big boar coon. One was 30 miles inland from the N.C. coast and I think I swapped zip codes a couple times on foot getting to them and the other came back in hearing to me and treed fairly close after a long walk in their direction.

Old Post 08-14-2018 03:55 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

ONE OF MY HUNTING BUDDIES AND I IN NC , RAN A BAY COON WITH 2 REAL GOOD DOGS FOR ABOUT 4 HOURS IN THE MARSH ONE NIGHT IN JANUARY THAT BIG SUCKER MADE HIS LAST STAND ON A STUMP , HE JUST WOULD NOT CLIMB WEIGHED ABOUT 28 LBS. HE WAS REDDISH YELLOW IN COLOR.

Old Post 08-14-2018 05:19 PM
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

You all are a different breed than me. There's no way I'm listening or letting a coonhound rum a "coon" for 4 hours. May let them run one for awhile but no way 4 hours. I have and will run bea that long or longer but not a coon.

Old Post 08-14-2018 09:44 PM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by johnny reb
You all are a different breed than me. There's no way I'm listening or letting a coonhound rum a "coon" for 4 hours. May let them run one for awhile but no way 4 hours. I have and will run bea that long or longer but not a coon.
Even if you see the coon cross a road 3 or 4 times?

Old Post 08-14-2018 09:49 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

Shadinc not saying either way is right or wrong. I'm just saying I'm not letting my dog run a coon for 4 hours. I have had tracks run longer than what I would of,wanted that ended with a coon seen. I just personally don't want my dog running a track like that.

Old Post 08-14-2018 11:05 PM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Chases

I figure that a man should know his dog/s enough to be comfortable with what they do. What one man likes, another man may dislike. If you enjoy your dog/s, then by all means do it. I like a good race, especially when I trust the dogs running the track. Likewise, if I don't trust the dog/s they might not get the benefit of doubt. Lol. Dave

Old Post 08-15-2018 12:17 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

The only thing I know for sure with the dogs I have today are a whole lot faster than the dogs I had 20 years ago , and I thought they were pretty fast back then , I would venture to guess that no coon could run in front of the dogs I have now longer than 45 minutes to an hour without getting caught or having to climb. And I am only talking about hot tracks not cold ones.

Old Post 08-15-2018 04:18 AM
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

Re: Chuck Allen

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
Get you a shock collar and break them good fox dogs off those trashy coons. Lol. Dave

You know what Dave I am getting to the point that in the future if my dogs ever tree a grey fox , I may not even care , I already do not care if they tree or catch a bobcat. LOL

Old Post 08-15-2018 04:21 AM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Chuck Allen

You sound like a wise man that enjoys his dogs, nothing wrong with that equation! We used to have combo dogs in my country, due to a scarce coon population [ possum and coon ]. Now we have a decent coon population and everyone wants straight coondog. I am beginning to think back to the combo dogs, they were just as much fun [maybe more]. Competition hunting and the point system had a negative effect on the combo dogs. Pleasure hunters should not care what the dog trees if they have the meat, the dog sounds just as good running and treeing a possum as it does running and treeing a coon. Dave

Old Post 08-15-2018 09:22 PM
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

WITH POSSUMS IT DEPENDS ON HOW FAR I HAVE TO WALK IF A YOUNG DOG TREES ONE CLOSE BY THE TURN OUT SPOT I MIGHT DISK THEM AN ALIBI WITH JUST A SCOLDING , IF THEY MAKE ME WALK A MILE NOT SO LUCKY FOR THEM. LOL

Old Post 08-15-2018 11:10 PM
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

Dave I agree a dog can sound as good running and freeing an opossum, but I do not like walking and climbing some of the ridges and hollers to look at a slick tail.

Old Post 08-16-2018 12:01 AM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Johnnyreb

I know what you mean, but we still walk a country mile to some of these coons. Lol. Anyway, we used to tree a dozen possums in a night and most were fairly close to each other. I haven't treed a possum in several years, really don't know if there are many around. Dave

Old Post 08-16-2018 12:34 AM
yadkintar
Banned

In the 80's them was $7 possums I skinned every one of them lol. We figured we would break them after hide season lol.

Tar

Old Post 08-16-2018 12:52 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote