UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Tribute to Shack and Big Country
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tribute to Shack and Big Country

I would like to express my congratulations to 2 outstanding hounds that done a terrific job this year in tough competition at the highest level. These 2 houndsaccomplished more in one year than most dogs accomplish in a lifetime of competition hunting. Placing as high as these 2 dogs placed in major hunts takes a high level of talent. I have followed both of these dogs and folks they are the real deal, both dogs are handled by 2 of the best men in the sport. One thing both dogs possess is consistency, you always have a chance to win with both of these dogs, they just don't have bad nights. Cheyenne and John are first class in any man's eyes and Shack and Big Country are Winners, both dogs had some breaks that did not go their way or they could have been World Champions. Breaks or no breaks, they both win their share of casts hunting against the best dogs in the country. I would never bet against either of these 2 dogs hunting against any dog in the country. Shack, Big Country, John and Cheyenne are a credit to our sport, Lord willing we will see them in the Winners Circle in the coming years. I wish both dogs and handlers much success in the hunts to come. Dave

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-04-2019 05:07 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oklared
UKC Forum Member

X2

HOME OF 2010 HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE, DUAL CH Y2KD, #7 REPRODUCING RED FEMALE
NT.Ch. WINNER AT REDBONE SEC. 2008
3RD PL. NT.CH. 2009 BATTLE OF BREEDS AT ADA OKLA.
4TH PLACE R.Q.E 2010
2ND PLACE OVERALL AT ZONE 4 AND DOUBLE CAST WINNER 2010
WENT TO 2010 WORLD HUNT
AMERICAN REDBONE ASSOCIATION HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE OF THE 2010 WORLD HUNT
OVERALL HI SCOREING DOG AT 2010 BBCHA BLUE TIC SECTIONAL
GR.NT.CH. AT 12 and A HALF
MADE-EM SEE RED

Old Post 11-04-2019 12:46 PM
oklared is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oklared Click here to Send oklared a Private Message Click Here to Email oklared Find more posts by oklared Add oklared to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

X3

Tar

Old Post 11-04-2019 12:54 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DOGSSTRICK
UKC Forum Member

Dave thank you for the kind words,It is awesome to be able to compete against some of the best houndsmen and hounds in the country and feel like you have a chance, but its a complete different feeling when you do that and receive the respect and admiration that you earn after years and years of following these old dogs. At the end of the day we all want to win but there comes a time in your life that you realize there's a lot more to it then just winning and believe me it has taken 37 years of comp coonhunting for that to really sink in and it is a joyous way to feel when your out there handling a dog .I thank everyone that has helped this dog along the way and there's to many to list and I especially thank the people that have helped me along the way.and with help from the good man upstairs well see ya at the next one trying to win another round.John

Old Post 11-04-2019 01:29 PM
DOGSSTRICK is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DOGSSTRICK Click here to Send DOGSSTRICK a Private Message Click Here to Email DOGSSTRICK Find more posts by DOGSSTRICK Add DOGSSTRICK to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

John Strickland

You are welcome, you have more than earned all the respect you are getting, both you and Big Country. I love a good dog no matter the breed, but I am partial to Blueticks and Walker dogs. I can't wait until the puppies from Big Country and those good Walker females get old enough to turn heads and show up in the winners circle. You have put some excitement back into the major hunts and generated a lot of interest in the Bluetick breed, something I feel was badly n. eeded. Wishing you the best in the coming years and hunts. Dave

Old Post 11-04-2019 07:42 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Thank you Dave and others your kindness and recognition does mean alot. Chey has been blessed that the $50 white pup 13 years ago has turned into what he has built today. It just goes to show that with some good luck, lots of hard work that included countless pair of worn out boots it can be done by anyone.
I will be sure he sees this thread this evening again thank you all!
Jen

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 11-04-2019 08:14 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Jen Cummings

You are welcome, you guys are something special to me. I love to see folks like you guys have the success that you deserve. Raise, train and hunt your own stock of dogs. One of the first to congratulate others when they win a cast or hunt. One of the first to help with a question or problem, I could go on and on, but I think everyone gets my point that you deserve this recognition. Shack is the real deal and one of my favorite hounds, he speaks for himself. Dave

Old Post 11-04-2019 09:22 PM
Roy Grant
UKC Forum Member

It is funny how hard work, dedication. Turns into luck.

Old Post 11-04-2019 09:38 PM
Roy Grant is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Grant Click here to Send Roy Grant a Private Message Click Here to Email Roy Grant Find more posts by Roy Grant Add Roy Grant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Roy

X2, it's being prepared when opportunities present themselves that makes the difference in winning or losing. These 2 men and these 2 dogs are well prepared and it shows in the winners circle. It still takes a certain amount of "luck" or getting the right break , like seeing a coon in a den tree, etc to win, but having a coondog is essential to win consistent like these 2 dogs win. Dave

Old Post 11-04-2019 10:17 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Roy Grant

A few years back, 2 of my friends had littermate puppies. One if them spent the entire summer working his puppy on coon drags up and down creeks, crossing creeks, etc. These 2 friends went hunting one night with their 2 puppies, the pup that had been worked all summer struck a coin track crossed the creek and trees on the other side. The other friend thought the puppy was just barking at the water and asked my friend what he thought the puppy was doing? My friend told him that his puppy was trees, they crossed the creek and sure enough his puppy was trees and had 2 coons up a tree. The other puppy was not doing anything and his owner had no clue as to how much work my friend had spent working his puppy. The other man told my friend that he was the luckiest man he had ever seen to have such a natural puppy, my friend just laughed. Dave

Old Post 11-05-2019 11:08 PM
Roy Grant
UKC Forum Member

Dave we must have the same friends. lol

Old Post 11-06-2019 09:52 PM
Roy Grant is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Grant Click here to Send Roy Grant a Private Message Click Here to Email Roy Grant Find more posts by Roy Grant Add Roy Grant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Roy

Lol. I think we all probably have friends like that, some are actually dog trainers and coonhunters, others like myself only want trained dogs, some have no idea how much work it actually takes to train a real coon dog. Repetition is what refines a coon dog and that takes work, hunt time and shoe leather. Dave

Old Post 11-06-2019 11:56 PM
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

X 10 couldn't have said it better.

When the law of the land becomes unjust outlaws will rise to take their place in history.

Old Post 11-08-2019 03:29 AM
Chuck Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chuck Allen Click here to Send Chuck Allen a Private Message Find more posts by Chuck Allen Add Chuck Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Re: Roy Grant

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
A few years back, 2 of my friends had littermate puppies. One if them spent the entire summer working his puppy on coon drags up and down creeks, crossing creeks, etc. These 2 friends went hunting one night with their 2 puppies, the pup that had been worked all summer struck a coin track crossed the creek and trees on the other side. The other friend thought the puppy was just barking at the water and asked my friend what he thought the puppy was doing? My friend told him that his puppy was trees, they crossed the creek and sure enough his puppy was trees and had 2 coons up a tree. The other puppy was not doing anything and his owner had no clue as to how much work my friend had spent working his puppy. The other man told my friend that he was the luckiest man he had ever seen to have such a natural puppy, my friend just laughed. Dave

Not just any puppy...

Sometimes we see a ten year old kid being interviewed from a large crowd or on the television and then we kind of analyze the kid and maybe think...this kid is going to be somebody one day...and sometimes we say the same thing about certain puppies...usually it is those that we raise ourselves so we can handle and observe them daily before making the final selections...I won’t waste my time with just any puppy unless the bloodline is there and I also need to like the pup...then quality training and exposure to different environments will most likely produce the type of puppy that you mentioned...

It’s almost the same as how you buy a trained dog...you just don’t buy any trained dog...I am pretty sure you have to like the dog and also like how it hunts before you buy...and I agree

Old Post 11-08-2019 07:10 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

On Shack and Big Country...no doubt they are some of the best and I don’t know much about competition coon hunting...but I have a very good idea what type of dog it takes to be a consistent winner amongst winners...the cream rises to the top...

As already been mentioned the handlers have to know what type of training and handling the dog needs to be a consistent winner...congratulations to both dogs and handlers...

Old Post 11-08-2019 07:20 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Reuben

Yes, what these 2 dogs and their handlers have accomplished is indeed remarkable , winning or placing near the top in major hunts against the best dogs in the country in UKC and the $ KC'S . It takes a top coon Dog and a little luck to beat these 2 dogs. Lord willing they both will be in the Winners Circle in future hunts, they are very consistent and proven winners. Dave

Old Post 11-08-2019 07:34 PM