UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > What age to take pups out at night
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
AKE
UKC Forum Member

What age to take pups out at night

I remember when I was younger the older guys I hunted with always took pups out to woods at night around 4 or 5 month of age. They took them regardless if they went out or not. Older dogs treed tied the pup back shot the the coon out and went on. If pup showed interest with coon they would let them chew on it or just bark at it then move on. Most of the time they turned out. Seems like now a lot of people wait to take pups out. I am guilty of the same thing.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-18-2019 03:44 PM
AKE is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AKE Click here to Send AKE a Private Message Find more posts by AKE Add AKE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cotton 1927
UKC Forum Member

Pups

AKE IMO the most important indicator to me is the pup ready,not necessarily his or her age at 6 months some pups are ready to see the big woods other not so much I guess that's where knowing and watching your dog becomes important ,regardless not all mature at the same time,good luck!

Last edited by Cotton 1927 on 10-19-2019 at 12:22 AM

Old Post 10-18-2019 04:32 PM
Cotton 1927 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cotton 1927 Click here to Send Cotton 1927 a Private Message Click Here to Email Cotton 1927 Find more posts by Cotton 1927 Add Cotton 1927 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Some are ready sooner than others. As Mr Cotton said, it all depends on the pup.

Old Post 10-19-2019 02:19 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
amoskaspar
UKC Forum Member

i would turn a coon or two loose in front of him and base my decision on how hard he tried to run and tree it

Old Post 10-19-2019 03:57 PM
amoskaspar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for amoskaspar Click here to Send amoskaspar a Private Message Find more posts by amoskaspar Add amoskaspar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by amoskaspar
i would turn a coon or two loose in front of him and base my decision on how hard he tried to run and tree it

Yep... I like my pups to know and want the game they are supposed to hunt before taking on a hunt...

Old Post 10-19-2019 04:36 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Travis Brown
UKC Forum Member

In my opinion a pup needs to spend time in the woods before they are ready to start. This may be done by letting them run loose if you can or if you can't, let them run loose with you while you are hunting the older dogs. I also think pups need to ride in a truck several times before they are ready to start so they are past the getting sick from the ride and puking in the box by the time they are starting. They can also get used to crossing creeks and fences and being around livestock while they follow you in to trees. I always take my pups hunting with me before they are ready to start. If they are big enough to keep up with you in the woods they are big enough to take hunting. But don't let them get ate up by a coon.

Home of :
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Peggy 4/91-1/02
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Little Peg 6/98-3/08
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Haley 8/02-11/13
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Taylor 3/05-11/17
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Rotten 10/08-2/13
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Midge 12/10-1/21
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Jessie 4/14-
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Lilly 5/19-

Old Post 10-19-2019 06:26 PM
Travis Brown is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Travis Brown Click here to Send Travis Brown a Private Message Click Here to Email Travis Brown Find more posts by Travis Brown Add Travis Brown to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Travis Brown
In my opinion a pup needs to spend time in the woods before they are ready to start. This may be done by letting them run loose if you can or if you can't, let them run loose with you while you are hunting the older dogs. I also think pups need to ride in a truck several times before they are ready to start so they are past the getting sick from the ride and puking in the box by the time they are starting. They can also get used to crossing creeks and fences and being around livestock while they follow you in to trees. I always take my pups hunting with me before they are ready to start. If they are big enough to keep up with you in the woods they are big enough to take hunting. But don't let them get ate up by a coon.

I agree with this but I call it conditioning...also I make sure that they get on the right game the first two or three hunts and not on a deer...

Old Post 10-19-2019 06:41 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AAThoundhunter
UKC Forum Member

Do you guys think that taking a young pup (5-6 mos) out that just hangs out with you will have any effect when it is time to start actually hunting?Will that pup associate going to the woods as time to just hang out or once its ready to start will it generally take off with the old dogs?

Old Post 10-22-2019 06:49 PM
AAThoundhunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AAThoundhunter Click here to Send AAThoundhunter a Private Message Find more posts by AAThoundhunter Add AAThoundhunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by AAThoundhunter
Do you guys think that taking a young pup (5-6 mos) out that just hangs out with you will have any effect when it is time to start actually hunting?Will that pup associate going to the woods as time to just hang out or once its ready to start will it generally take off with the old dogs?

One thing I try not to do...is to call the pup to me very often...when I turn the pup out I give it a little attention and then let it go off and explore...

Also when taking to the woods take pup straight from kennel and into dog box...take pup to good spot in woods (nice open spot) and turn it out...ignore pup and usually it won’t be too long the pup will get bored and go off and explore...again try not to call the pup to you unless it is time to go...

Sometimes we condition pups to do the opposite of what we want without realizing what we are doing...

It could also be that the pup is not ready to do so and hopefully he will soon enough...

Old Post 10-22-2019 11:03 PM
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Some are ready sooner than others. As Mr Cotton said, it all depends on the pup.

That’s a good looking pup...and looks to be in excellent health...nice

Old Post 10-22-2019 11:24 PM
Ron Ashbaugh
UKC Forum Member

To me, taking a pup out during the kill season with other dogs is just too much. There just too much going on...other dogs sometimes strange dogs, gun fur, coon falling out of trees, long hunts ect, and imo that time of year is when the coon can become a little more challenging to tree.

I like to buy pups born in May June or July. They get to grow up and be fun when I am outside the most and spend the most time with them. I can mess a little with some turn outs or show them a coon later in the fall, and around here the snow comes and they are put up and getting used the kennel in the winter.

Around late march or early april, the pup is 8-10 months old. The woods are bare, its usually damp, and I am ready to be outside. I take the pup at night and start taking it for walks in easy to navigate terrain. I also start trapping coon and every chance I get, I will let one go before out walk. the pup get used to riding in the truck, wearing the collars ect.

If I do this all summer a couple days a week, by corn season Late Aug, or Sept, any pup worth its salt is pretty well on its way at 12-15 months and ready to be hunted that kill season alone. After that, its just how much it progresses and you can only get that with time.

Ron Ashbaugh
CROOKED FOOT KENNELS

Old Post 10-23-2019 01:15 PM
Ron Ashbaugh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Ashbaugh Click here to Send Ron Ashbaugh a Private Message Find more posts by Ron Ashbaugh Add Ron Ashbaugh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sox12
UKC Forum Member

A lot of people have different opions on how and when to start take one out,my answer is when you think they act like there ready I have taken pups out at four months old and older all depends on the pups,Every dog I got I trained myself to get started and usually don't take much to get them going.

CH Nt. Ch.PR Wandering Red & RR Bucksaw (GRCHGRNTCH Raged Ridge Rip X Grand Nite Raged Ridge Toadie )
GRNTCH.GRCh.PR Steffes' Whizz Bang[GRNTCH Big Walnut BooneXGRNTCH Raged Ridge Toadie]
GRCH.Wandering Red Pepper
GRCH.Wandering Red Honeys Sweety Pie

RIP
GR.NT.CH.GR.CH.PR Steffes wandering Red Tinkerbell {GRCHGRNTCH Raged Ridge RipsawXGRNTCH Ragged Ridge Toadie]

Old Post 10-23-2019 03:35 PM
sox12 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sox12 Click here to Send sox12 a Private Message Click Here to Email sox12 Find more posts by sox12 Add sox12 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
honalieh
UKC Forum Member

Re: What age to take pups out at night

quote:
Originally posted by AKE
I remember when I was younger the older guys I hunted with always took pups out to woods at night around 4 or 5 month of age. They took them regardless if they went out or not. Older dogs treed tied the pup back shot the the coon out and went on. If pup showed interest with coon they would let them chew on it or just bark at it then move on. Most of the time they turned out. Seems like now a lot of people wait to take pups out. I am guilty of the same thing.

It is never too early, as long as they are weaned. I will take puppies for "walks through the woods" way before they are ready to hunt. I think they should be familiar with sights and sounds of the woods BEFORE you are ready to hunt them. Daytime trips first. By the time they are ready to hunt, they should be familiar with the woods, creeks, fences, etc

Old Post 10-24-2019 03:25 AM
honalieh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for honalieh Click here to Send honalieh a Private Message Click Here to Email honalieh Find more posts by honalieh Add honalieh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote