UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Curs and Feists > Starting and Training a Feist?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
JohnCox
UKC Forum Member

Starting and Training a Feist?

I'm about to get a Feist and wonder how much different they are to start and train compared to a hound? What age do you normally start one? I know with hounds it depending on some lines some start early and some were slower starting. I moved up to MI and there seems to be a lot of Squirrels around where I live. I don't have another dog to hunt with so I'm just looking for some advice on what to do and not do. Thanks for any information!

Last edited by JohnCox on 11-06-2017 at 04:37 PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-06-2017 04:28 PM
JohnCox is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JohnCox Click here to Send JohnCox a Private Message Find more posts by JohnCox Add JohnCox to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Luther's Fiest
UKC Forum Member

John I'm no expert but I'm going to take a stab at it anyway. Feist just like hounds or curs are the same in some ways but different in others. By saying that I mean some feist will start much earlier than others while some the switch doesn't flip until they are around two years old. Some of the lines start very early some at 6 months some much later. I was once a ski g some people about training a feist, an old timer who was a coon hunter said he figured it was all about the same, reaching the goal of a treedog. He said squirrel hunting was like coon hunting except in the daytime with more game. He said he trained em the same. Caged game, roll cages etc, just don't over do it. Start working with the pup now on bonding and commands. Take it on short walks where there are squirrels. Make outings fun for you and the pup. Be patient and remember it is a pup. Hope this helps. Good luck with your pup.

Hunt em hard, cull em harder
Luther's Feist Kennels on Facebook

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-06-2017 06:50 PM
Luther's Fiest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Luther's Fiest Click here to Send Luther's Fiest a Private Message Click Here to Email Luther's Fiest Find more posts by Luther's Fiest Add Luther's Fiest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote