UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Breeds > Black & Tans > Do Outcrossed Hounds Live Longer Than Line Bred Hounds?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
JOE H BROOKS
UKC Forum Member

Do Outcrossed Hounds Live Longer Than Line Bred Hounds?

Does Out Crosseing Hounds, help them live longer? I have heard of some line bred, in bred hounds, dieing at 4 years, of age, and i know some of the older stock of black&tans use to live to be 14 to 16 years of age.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-12-2014 03:22 AM
JOE H BROOKS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JOE H BROOKS Click here to Send JOE H BROOKS a Private Message Find more posts by JOE H BROOKS Add JOE H BROOKS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Darrell Eads
UKC Forum Member

no no no no no no no , I dogs life is a dogs life

Old Post 12-12-2014 07:55 PM
Darrell Eads is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Darrell Eads Click here to Send Darrell Eads a Private Message Click Here to Email Darrell Eads Find more posts by Darrell Eads Add Darrell Eads to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
berger
UKC Forum Member

Out cross in the same breed No. Outcross from 2 different breeds say walker to BNT YES

319-201-8445

Old Post 12-12-2014 09:38 PM
berger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for berger Click here to Send berger a Private Message Find more posts by berger Add berger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JOE H BROOKS
UKC Forum Member

In Bred

If in breeding does not affect the dog's phyiscal body structure, why are some lines going blind, at 6 years, of age and some are dieing at 4 years of age? I think when you in breed, you weaken every cell in that dog's body, if there is a weakness, bad hips, breeding problems, it get's a lot worse.

Old Post 12-12-2014 11:54 PM
JOE H BROOKS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JOE H BROOKS Click here to Send JOE H BROOKS a Private Message Find more posts by JOE H BROOKS Add JOE H BROOKS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Christophernidy
UKC Forum Member

Joe those problems get worse because they are breeding bad quaility hounds. If a dog has bad hips eyes and what not they should be culled. Unhealthy dogs are just as bad as slick trees. If you keep breeding a line of dogs you can make them healthier and improve traits by line breeding correctly. As far as live span goes it just depends on the dogs. Sometimes a genetic health problem will cause early deaths. Same as heart disease in people. That's just the way the game goes. Good luck to ya.

Give me a call anytime and we can cut loose some black dogs. 330-553-0148

Old Post 12-13-2014 05:25 AM
Christophernidy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Christophernidy Click here to Send Christophernidy a Private Message Click Here to Email Christophernidy Find more posts by Christophernidy Add Christophernidy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JOE H BROOKS
UKC Forum Member

Dogs

I talked to an old black&tan breeder, who told me about another old time breeder, he has been line breeding for years, they were all healthy, stout to start with, now they are dieing at 4 years of age. Years ago, if you did an inbreeding ukc, would stamp the papers, in bred. I'd also heard of another old time, breeder, who has been line breeding for years, his stock was healthy to begin with, now they are going blind at 6 years of age. The old black&tans of years ago, use to live to 14 to 16 years of age. Usually when you line breed closely related dogs, you get things, you can't see, and don't want.

Old Post 12-13-2014 08:30 AM
davidmorehead
UKC Forum Member

If you already knew the answer why did you ask the question ?

Old Post 12-13-2014 07:01 PM
davidmorehead is offline Click Here to See the Profile for davidmorehead Click here to Send davidmorehead a Private Message Click Here to Email davidmorehead Find more posts by davidmorehead Add davidmorehead to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John D
UKC Forum Member

I've heard that if you want to know the flaws in your dogs, then line or inbreed them. The recessive traits will come to the surface.

The problem is almost no coonhound breeder knows what to do next. Culling a pup is out of the question for most. Also, if a dog wins a big hunt its going to get bred, regardless of the genetic junk behind it.

Click here to visit The B&T Coonhunters Message Forum for news, views, open discussion, ads, and event winners in the B&T Breed (Registration, with your full name, required)

Click here to see my Dog List

Old Post 12-13-2014 07:15 PM
John D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John D Click here to Send John D a Private Message Click Here to Email John D Visit John D's homepage! Find more posts by John D Add John D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
berger
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by davidmorehead
If you already knew the answer why did you ask the question ?

For he wanted 2 different answers.lol

319-201-8445

Old Post 12-13-2014 08:48 PM
berger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for berger Click here to Send berger a Private Message Find more posts by berger Add berger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JOE H BROOKS
UKC Forum Member

Dogs

I already know the answer, i wanted to see, what you all had to say. I don't know anyone, who can look at a hound, and determine, he is perfect. The worst defects, are hidden, you can't even see them with a xray machine. I bought a female pup one time, her sire was out of a half sister, to half brother cross. The half sister, was a world class hound, a friend of mine bought the sire off the chain, took the man's word, paid him $1500, for him. The dog, could not tree a coon, he turned 37 coon loose, in front of him, he'd run them to the tree, and take off. He had an oak bench, 6 foot long in the dogs kennel, the dog chewed it up. The female pup, treed at 7 months of age, was looking really good, one night, she starting screaming, nothing around her. Twice while hunting, she started screaming, running back to me, looking over her shoulder, nothing around. I figured, she had a loose wire, i gave it away. A few years later, another female, different bloodline, except her mother's side went back to the same, half sister, to half brother cross. I had sold her to a fellow, unknown to either of us, she was in heat, she got bred to his male dog, she prolapsed, i got her back, made it right with the fellow. After, she had 9 pups, the prolapse, went back up, in to her, i had her spayed. If you happen to get a 7 generation pedigree, on your dog, you will see, that it goes back to the same dog, several times, with out you line breeding him. Yes, i guess it's Murphy's Law, the bad stuff, will always, come out, more than the good things, that you'd want to keep, in your hounds.

Old Post 12-14-2014 02:42 AM
mnb&t
UKC Forum Member

this topic a head scratcher for me???

ive got very out crossed mixed up mutts for most part. only our maker knows whats all in my oldest dog and shes nearing 11 years old and is going strong, nursing a litter of pups and still hunting her. recently had to put down a young dog with freak illness and tumor that was total outcross.

the only inbred dog i have is brother-sister cross and almost 10 years old. looks and hunts like million dollars and shes had some serious injuries bounced back from. looks good to me for being marathon hunted whole life considering i figured would be train wreck when had accidental brother sister cross. LOL.

Old Post 12-15-2014 07:22 AM
mnb&t is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mnb&t Click here to Send mnb&t a Private Message Find more posts by mnb&t Add mnb&t to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
L.Richard
UKC Forum Member

Hybrid vigor

Google hybrid vigor....good info, less health problems,and a chance of increaseing longevity.

517-605-3199

Old Post 12-15-2014 10:23 AM
L.Richard is offline Click Here to See the Profile for L.Richard Click here to Send L.Richard a Private Message Click Here to Email L.Richard Find more posts by L.Richard Add L.Richard to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JOE H BROOKS
UKC Forum Member

Josie

Josie, was a walker female i bought a few years ago, she was a littermate, to Cindy, that won the AKC World Hunt around 1990, they were out of Craddock's Jake, they had House's Clint, Deanwood Drifter, Spring Creek Rock, Spring Creek Radar, Finley River Pete, in their 3 generation pedigree. She loved to get by her self, fall out of a hot race fall treed, and stay, never seen her pull, she would start out with the other dogs, but turn away, to get treed by her self. I breed her to my old Buster dog, boy if i had gotten a pup, it should have been something. But it was not to be, she came down with a closed pyrmeter infection, had to have her spayed, cost me $450.00, she was too good a coon dog, to let die. She was still treeing coons at 11 years of age i gave her to a young boy down in kentucky. I thought there was too much family breeding in her, i don't know if anybody got any pups out of her sisters, either.

Old Post 12-16-2014 04:10 AM
skidiver
UKC Forum Member

I think the dog food of today is not as healthy as it once was. I believe it gives some dogs more energy and hype than they need...More chemicals in today's water supply which isn't made for dogs. Fertilizers used on fields are more deadly and last longer. Lots of reasons why hounds might be dying at an earlier age................If you breed unhealthy dogs or dogs that have that in their genes then you will get dogs dying early.... But I have seen four to five generations of line bred dogs living to 10-16 yrs old. A coondog has a rough life and anything living past 10yrs old is a blessing.

Old Post 12-16-2014 06:07 PM
skidiver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for skidiver Click here to Send skidiver a Private Message Find more posts by skidiver Add skidiver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote