UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Breeds > Black & Tans > Making a "Stud" dog out of a pup!
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
River Birch Run
UKC Forum Member

Making a "Stud" dog out of a pup!

I have seen a trend these days that has been both disturbing and ignorant. Seems these kennel promoters are breeding pups (males 7months old or so) at the earliest possible age just to see what the dog will throw. You know just in case the dog does actually turn out. Generally making two to four crosses before the dog reaches the age of two. A few months ago the debate was brought up as to why the Black and Tan breed just can’t get the job done. Well here you go, this is a piece of the puzzle. But hey at least they can get on that reproducers list because 3 dogs out of 105 pups made nitech.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-10-2014 01:51 PM
River Birch Run is offline Click Here to See the Profile for River Birch Run Click here to Send River Birch Run a Private Message Find more posts by River Birch Run Add River Birch Run to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Darrell Eads
UKC Forum Member

Disturbing Ignorance ? or maybe Determined and creative , I was always told the younger you breed the better the pups , But hey each to their own , One of these days when I have a Nt Champion I might stud a dog

Old Post 12-10-2014 08:02 PM
Darrell Eads is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Darrell Eads Click here to Send Darrell Eads a Private Message Click Here to Email Darrell Eads Find more posts by Darrell Eads Add Darrell Eads to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
STROKIN
UKC Forum Member

It doesn't matter what the age. The dog will always pass his or her DNA at any and all ages.

Old Post 12-10-2014 08:37 PM
STROKIN is offline Click Here to See the Profile for STROKIN Click here to Send STROKIN a Private Message Click Here to Email STROKIN Find more posts by STROKIN Add STROKIN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tha_Mike_B
UKC Forum Member

Observations from the next generation of Black and Tan fanciers!!

If the Black and Tan breed wants to advance the association should figure out away to address issues like the one being discussed here in a conference form @ B&T Days. We need genitcist to present the facts in order to dispell all the old wives tales that we often fall victom too.. We also need to define our terminology better at least for our breed. For example what is a Stud? That will raise a big debate!! Nice male out of a good cross or something gentically fixed enough to likely pass traits. The other interesting post on the forum "what makes a line, a line?". Everybody has there own definition for this, they may all be simular but shouldn't we be more procise as an association. Seems like to me more progress could be made if these things were better defined.

Old Post 12-11-2014 02:11 AM
Tha_Mike_B is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tha_Mike_B Click here to Send Tha_Mike_B a Private Message Click Here to Email Tha_Mike_B Find more posts by Tha_Mike_B Add Tha_Mike_B to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
River Birch Run
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Darrell Eads
Disturbing Ignorance ? or maybe Determined and creative , I was always told the younger you breed the better the pups , But hey each to their own , One of these days when I have a Nt Champion I might stud a dog

The dog is going to throw whaterver it's going to throw no matter what the age. The point is breeders are putting alot of pups on the ground before they know rather a hound is worthy of breeding of not. Then there buddy gets a pup and just cause he owns a male dog now thinks he should breed it and buys a female to do so. This process goes on and on and on. The whole to each is there own saying is killing the B&T breed.

Mike B As far as DNA research they still don't know that much about dogs. The DNA we get done on our dogs tell us very little mainly that the sire and Dam are who we said they were and that they are a coonhound. From the research I have done we don't know too much more than that, but it is work in progress. As far as the Assoc. setting guidlines for what words such as "Stud" means. Well just look at our Breed standards, it says one thing and even most of the show dogs do not fit the bill.

Old Post 12-11-2014 01:08 PM
River Birch Run is offline Click Here to See the Profile for River Birch Run Click here to Send River Birch Run a Private Message Find more posts by River Birch Run Add River Birch Run to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Darrell Eads
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Tha_Mike_B

If the Black and Tan breed wants to advance the association should figure out away to address issues like the one being discussed here in a conference form @ B&T Days. We need genitcist to present the facts in order to dispell all the old wives tales that we often fall victom too.. We also need to define our terminology better at least for our breed. For example what is a Stud? That will raise a big debate!! Nice male out of a good cross or something gentically fixed enough to likely pass traits. The other interesting post on the forum "what makes a line, a line?". Everybody has there own definition for this, they may all be simular but shouldn't we be more procise as an association. Seems like to me more progress could be made if these things were better defined.

I'M sorry And your name is Tha- Mike- B ? that's a interesting screen name

Old Post 12-11-2014 05:01 PM
Darrell Eads is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Darrell Eads Click here to Send Darrell Eads a Private Message Click Here to Email Darrell Eads Find more posts by Darrell Eads Add Darrell Eads to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tha_Mike_B
UKC Forum Member

Thanks Rebecca,

I agree with you totally that it's a work in progress. Heaven knows I don't know much yet but I'm gonna work on that in the coming years.

Old Post 12-11-2014 05:30 PM
Tha_Mike_B is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tha_Mike_B Click here to Send Tha_Mike_B a Private Message Click Here to Email Tha_Mike_B Find more posts by Tha_Mike_B Add Tha_Mike_B to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tha_Mike_B
UKC Forum Member

Darrell Eads,

My name is Michael Barnes, please to meet ya!!!
The majority of my friends have shorten it to Mike B
hence the tag line.. I have a couple B&T's round the house in Arkansas. Do you have any useful info on my
comment now that I've properly introduced myself??

Old Post 12-11-2014 05:37 PM
Tha_Mike_B
UKC Forum Member

Darrell Eads,

I had to check to make sure but I see that you are on the board of directors.. I'm sure you could tell me if my ideas are to far fetched. The things I mentioned could have already come up and been deemed unfeasible.

Old Post 12-11-2014 05:51 PM
berger
UKC Forum Member

quote:

Mike B In my Opinion the Assoc. should not be involved in issues of this sort at all. If someone wants to stud a dog they should have the opportunity to do just that. If someone wants to breed a dog and raise pups they should have that opportunity as well. Some like loners some like pack dogs others like stylish treedogs and some just like coon treeing dogs style don't matter as long as they stay. Some want titles others could care less about a title. Defining something will not make them better. As what some people like others don't.
And example 2 pleasure and hide hunters. I had a call from one and he was telling me the other came down and hunted with him as he wanted to see his dog go. So they went for a drop his dog struck made a loop and a 1/2 in the corn field opening took it out of the field into the creek shut up and fell treed about a 100 yards up the creek. The hunter coming to see this dog go, said after the hunt that is as nice of a country coondog as I have seen in a long time. The guy that owned the dog told the other hunter he wouldn't like him if he owned him. WHY The dog hunts hard and will run by coon that are sitting up close and might go a 1/4 to a mile to tree a coon. This owner cuts dogs and sits by the truck till the dogs is treed. The other hunter likes a dog to hunt 100 to 200 yards around him while he walk hunts and wants them to tree every coon in the woods. Both different styles though if they both get what there looking for are happy hunters. If the breed gets to procise on there terminology of what is what it would make it smaller and the smaller something is the less chance of it being big.

319-201-8445

Old Post 12-11-2014 06:46 PM
berger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for berger Click here to Send berger a Private Message Find more posts by berger Add berger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Darrell Eads
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Darrell Eads,

My name is Michael Barnes, please to meet ya!!!
The majority of my friends have shorten it to Mike B
hence the tag line.. I have a couple B&T's round the house in Arkansas. Do you have any useful info on my
comment now that I've properly introduced myself??

hello Mike ,, no im full of useless opinions , but as far as some guy or gal wanting to breed the first heat cycle or a male 7 months old , personally it don't matter to me, good luck to who ever wants to , breeding should be based on ability and Traits , not a name or wanting to be on a list ,

and the association cant have no say or dictate what and how people breed

and it was nice to meet you also

Old Post 12-11-2014 10:47 PM
River Birch Run
UKC Forum Member

Abililty and traits is my point. A coonhound has not reached there prime till there 4 to 6 yrs old. If a dog has been bred before that age you still don't know if the dog is worthy to be breed. An exsample,, look at all the dogs that were tearing it up winning everything at the age of one and two. Then as they get older they can't win anymore. Happens all the time. Because what you have at a young age dosen't mean thats what your going to have in the future.

Old Post 12-12-2014 12:55 PM
Billy George
UKC Forum Member

So if a dog grands at two, you are saying wait till its 4-6 before you stud him?

Or is the fact that every one in the breed thinks they have the next Duelin'Dan, and breed every brood gyp they can find, and ends up with a bunch of pups no one wants?

PR B and B's Smokin' Willie

"PR"B and B's Coon Doctor
( Gr.Nite Ch.Bee Creek Dr.Max xGr.Nite Ch. Moonshine Maggie)

Past Home of:

Nite Ch. "PR"B and B's Smokin' Misty (2007-2018)

Nite Ch B&B's Black Hoss (1992-2003)

Nite Ch.Gr.Ch. Shaker Hill Mr. Grubbs (2003-2011)

Old Post 12-12-2014 03:43 PM
Billy George is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Billy George Click here to Send Billy George a Private Message Click Here to Email Billy George Visit Billy George's homepage! Find more posts by Billy George Add Billy George to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Joel Corinth
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by River Birch Run
Abililty and traits is my point. A coonhound has not reached there prime till there 4 to 6 yrs old. If a dog has been bred before that age you still don't know if the dog is worthy to be breed. An exsample,, look at all the dogs that were tearing it up winning everything at the age of one and two. Then as they get older they can't win anymore. Happens all the time. Because what you have at a young age dosen't mean thats what your going to have in the future.

Ability and traits. A good houndman will be able to see and recognize Good natural ability in a young hound before there a year old. If they know the hounds in the young dogs pedigree they should be able to see traits from it's ancestors. Raw Natural ability is so much more important then the end result for reproducing. At 4 to 6 yrs. old you can take a dog with very unfavorable traits and ability and make it into a decent solid dog. When young doesn't go hunting, no desire, doesn't take pressure, lot's of slicks but with enough hard hunting and training. Correcting all it's natural problems and minimizing them ends up being a solid dog at an older age. You will still get the same ability from it's offspring no matter how decent the dog is at 4 to 6 yrs old. It is not so much how young they breed the dog but how much does the houndsman know about the ability a hound needs to succeed.

America for Donkeys

Old Post 12-12-2014 05:21 PM
Joel Corinth is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Joel Corinth Click here to Send Joel Corinth a Private Message Find more posts by Joel Corinth Add Joel Corinth to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blackdawg
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Joel Corinth
Ability and traits. A good houndman will be able to see and recognize Good natural ability in a young hound before there a year old. If they know the hounds in the young dogs pedigree they should be able to see traits from it's ancestors. Raw Natural ability is so much more important then the end result for reproducing. At 4 to 6 yrs. old you can take a dog with very unfavorable traits and ability and make it into a decent solid dog. When young doesn't go hunting, no desire, doesn't take pressure, lot's of slicks but with enough hard hunting and training. Correcting all it's natural problems and minimizing them ends up being a solid dog at an older age. You will still get the same ability from it's offspring no matter how decent the dog is at 4 to 6 yrs old. It is not so much how young they breed the dog but how much does the houndsman know about the ability a hound needs to succeed.

Bingo!

Brock Smith
H- 606-633-7730
C- 606-369-7317

Old Post 12-12-2014 06:04 PM
blackdawg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blackdawg Click here to Send blackdawg a Private Message Click Here to Email blackdawg Find more posts by blackdawg Add blackdawg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Christophernidy
UKC Forum Member

In this game if you think you have a good one you beat collect or breed at a young age. I've beat myself for not breeding dogs sooner and then next time out coon takes them across road and end of game. Besides the sooner you realize if they produce likeness the better. Dogs get old quick. Never know when they might dry up or be gone.

I do agree that some people don't take a lot of effort or thought into there crosses but I don't have to hunt there dogs.

Good luck

Give me a call anytime and we can cut loose some black dogs. 330-553-0148

Old Post 12-13-2014 05:39 AM
Christophernidy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Christophernidy Click here to Send Christophernidy a Private Message Click Here to Email Christophernidy Find more posts by Christophernidy Add Christophernidy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
River Birch Run
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Billy George
So if a dog grands at two, you are saying wait till its 4-6 before you stud him?

Or is the fact that every one in the breed thinks they have the next Duelin'Dan, and breed every brood gyp they can find, and ends up with a bunch of pups no one wants?

Thats right , People win big with those 2 yr olds that babble off the lead and cover faster than you can blink an eye. They push and breed as many as they can to them. Then the dog gets older, don't babble anymore and trys to run its own track but can't and covers to late and guess what they don't win anymore.

And come on Dude the Duelin' Dan subject is beating a dead horse. Too many people know the real story on that.

Old Post 12-14-2014 02:05 PM
Billy George
UKC Forum Member

Humm. I owned Dan sire, and know the story, the real one.
Let here the one from ohio??

PR B and B's Smokin' Willie

"PR"B and B's Coon Doctor
( Gr.Nite Ch.Bee Creek Dr.Max xGr.Nite Ch. Moonshine Maggie)

Past Home of:

Nite Ch. "PR"B and B's Smokin' Misty (2007-2018)

Nite Ch B&B's Black Hoss (1992-2003)

Nite Ch.Gr.Ch. Shaker Hill Mr. Grubbs (2003-2011)

Old Post 12-14-2014 05:45 PM
Billy George is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Billy George Click here to Send Billy George a Private Message Click Here to Email Billy George Visit Billy George's homepage! Find more posts by Billy George Add Billy George to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Darrell Eads
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Billy George
Humm. I owned Dan sire, and know the story, the real one.
Let here the one from ohio??

Im from Ohio but I don't know any stories but would like to hear one also

Old Post 12-14-2014 06:19 PM
Christophernidy
UKC Forum Member

Glad I wasn't the only one who didn't know what the dueling dan story is.

Give me a call anytime and we can cut loose some black dogs. 330-553-0148

Old Post 12-14-2014 09:32 PM
Christophernidy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Christophernidy Click here to Send Christophernidy a Private Message Click Here to Email Christophernidy Find more posts by Christophernidy Add Christophernidy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Doug A
UKC Forum Member

Is the story something other than born natural, top notch ability, reproduces just as good as the best? Do tell.

If and if you are a capable houndsman and know that you have a quality dog then breed it when you think it's fit. Two years or ten, that's your business.

Old Post 12-15-2014 12:14 PM
Doug A is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Doug A Click here to Send Doug A a Private Message Click Here to Email Doug A Find more posts by Doug A Add Doug A to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blackdawg
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Doug A
Is the story something other than born natural, top notch ability, reproduces just as good as the best? Do tell.

If and if you are a capable houndsman and know that you have a quality dog then breed it when you think it's fit. Two years or ten, that's your business.

That's the only Dan story I've heard, Doug.

Brock Smith
H- 606-633-7730
C- 606-369-7317

Old Post 12-15-2014 12:16 PM
blackdawg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blackdawg Click here to Send blackdawg a Private Message Click Here to Email blackdawg Find more posts by blackdawg Add blackdawg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Clays_coondogs
UKC Forum Member

Tell me, tell me the Dan story!

Male:

AKC SUPREME GRNTCH AND GRCH UKC GRCH NTCH BEAR CREEK Z71 (BTTB HAWK X GI JANE)

GRNTCH CH PR BTTB MR. FREEZE (can be Perf and SS sire)
1st and 2nd place open registered 2013 Redbone Days
2nd place NTCH Autumn Oaks 2013
4th place 2014 UKC Youth Nationals
2016 B&T Days Cast Winner
3 wins to Grand show champion

Old Post 12-15-2014 05:09 PM
Clays_coondogs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clays_coondogs Click here to Send Clays_coondogs a Private Message Click Here to Email Clays_coondogs Find more posts by Clays_coondogs Add Clays_coondogs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blackdawg
UKC Forum Member

The story is, he was one of the best reproducers our breed has ever seen. Period.

Brock Smith
H- 606-633-7730
C- 606-369-7317

Old Post 12-15-2014 05:25 PM
Tha_Mike_B
UKC Forum Member

Berger and Darrell Eads,

I think ya'll are right when I took the time to think about the opinions ya'll offered. If individuals want to to go to the lengths I mentioned they should do so in their own programs. Each fancier will bring to the table what he believes to be the right stuff and accomplish it with a method they believe in. Agreed gentlemen agreed!!! Continuity in one program is easier anyway. Thanks Fellas great dialog..

Old Post 12-15-2014 05:28 PM