UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Training two pups
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
GaCreekz
UKC Forum Member

Training two pups

Wanted to get some advice from some guys with more experience on training two pups at the same time. I got a year old pup that’s running tracks and treeing with my pup trainer, and there’s an 8 month old pup I have the chance to get because the guy who got her is just letting her sit. I go about 2 nights during the week and hunt all weekend long. Just wondering how hard it would be to finish them both out. Thx

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-25-2020 07:09 PM
GaCreekz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GaCreekz Click here to Send GaCreekz a Private Message Click Here to Email GaCreekz Find more posts by GaCreekz Add GaCreekz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rdmedders
UKC Forum Member

Your asking for trouble trying to train two at a time!
I had to find out the hard way☹️

Old Post 03-25-2020 11:23 PM
rdmedders is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rdmedders Click here to Send rdmedders a Private Message Click Here to Email rdmedders Find more posts by rdmedders Add rdmedders to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rocketman55
UKC Forum Member

Training two at once

The only way I recommend attempting to train two at once is by going in to it (knowing) that when the time comes you will assess both pups and then MOVE the one that you like the least. This pup may still go on and make the better finished dog but you have to be willing to make that final decision by the time they get 14-15 months old as that is when you will need to single one out and start pushing it by it's self.

Just my way of thinking, Good Luck

Glouster, Ohio 45732
Home To:
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Hang'em High Holly
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Rockets Top Gun.
Gr.Nt.Ch.Hooper Ridge Rocket
Gr.Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Dolly
Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Queen
Nt.Ch Raw Dawg Rowdy
PR Tree Banging Buddy
HOOPER RIDGE ENGLISH-POUND FOR POUND THEY ARE ONE TOUGH HOUND!!!!

Old Post 03-26-2020 02:45 AM
Rocketman55 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rocketman55 Click here to Send Rocketman55 a Private Message Click Here to Email Rocketman55 Find more posts by Rocketman55 Add Rocketman55 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Re: Training two at once

quote:
Originally posted by Rocketman55
The only way I recommend attempting to train two at once is by going in to it (knowing) that when the time comes you will assess both pups and then MOVE the one that you like the least. This pup may still go on and make the better finished dog but you have to be willing to make that final decision by the time they get 14-15 months old as that is when you will need to single one out and start pushing it by it's self.

Just my way of thinking, Good Luck

Good advice here from Rocketman 55. Inevitably one will do better than the other and the tendency is to want to take the one that is doing the best.

Old Post 03-26-2020 03:15 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Having one pup and a pup trainer. You already have one more dog than you need. Ask yourself how hard is it for you to leave the pup trainer home now. If you can't do that and just hunt the pup. You should not even consider another pup. But the other side of the coin is we all do it. So get the pup and good luck.

Old Post 03-26-2020 12:53 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GaCreekz
UKC Forum Member

This definitely made my mind up to just stick with the pup I have now. Thx all.

Old Post 03-26-2020 02:06 PM
GaCreekz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GaCreekz Click here to Send GaCreekz a Private Message Click Here to Email GaCreekz Find more posts by GaCreekz Add GaCreekz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
edwardfasteddy
UKC Forum Member

You could do like John Wick said he would do, take 5 or 6 pups out with an old dog and let them go hunting, then move down the road and and do the same thing with 6 more pups and an old dog till you would be hunting 4 old dogs and about 24 pups.. He said this when he was asked how he trained , worked or started 150 to 200 hundred pups a year, Uncle John was either the best dog trainer ever, Or The Best Story Teller of all Time! LOL!!!!

Old Post 03-29-2020 04:00 PM
edwardfasteddy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for edwardfasteddy Click Here to Email edwardfasteddy Find more posts by edwardfasteddy Add edwardfasteddy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Clovis A Nailor
UKC Forum Member

I know a guy that raises a litter up pups and keeps them all and starts them all at once. He goes through them and the one that can run a deer like it's tied to it is the one he keeps. He saids one that has alot of drive to run a deer like it's supposed to be ran will make the best coondog, seems to work for him he sure got some nice hounds

Old Post 03-29-2020 07:29 PM
Clovis A Nailor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clovis A Nailor Click here to Send Clovis A Nailor a Private Message Click Here to Email Clovis A Nailor Find more posts by Clovis A Nailor Add Clovis A Nailor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote