UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Movement of coons
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
rdmedders
UKC Forum Member

Movement of coons

Ive seen over the years that each night is completely different in the coons moving or not! You can go one night and get on some good tracks and the next time you go the dog hunts out and covers lots of ground and never draws a bark!
Last night I went and my dog hunted out and did the best she could do and never drawer a bark!
The time before that hunting the same block of woods she treed two!
Sometimes the coons aren't moving at all!
I wish we could know what there going to do before we left the house!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-23-2020 02:19 AM
rdmedders is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rdmedders Click here to Send rdmedders a Private Message Click Here to Email rdmedders Find more posts by rdmedders Add rdmedders to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ed Hillenbrand
UKC Forum Member

My dad used to say "if old Smokey is not barking when it is time to load up, you might as well stay home." Wish Dad could have seen the equipment we have today. We carried a kerosene lantern and a six cell flashlight. As a kid, I used to warm my hands over the lantern. Dad was still leading a dog well into his eighties.

Old Post 03-23-2020 03:08 PM
Ed Hillenbrand is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ed Hillenbrand Click here to Send Ed Hillenbrand a Private Message Click Here to Email Ed Hillenbrand Find more posts by Ed Hillenbrand Add Ed Hillenbrand to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

You have to admit though the good down deep feeling ya get when your pot licker trees one or two on those bad nights despite what mother nature throws at ya.

Aim small miss small

Old Post 03-23-2020 05:35 PM
Larry Atherton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Atherton Click here to Send Larry Atherton a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Atherton Visit Larry Atherton's homepage! Find more posts by Larry Atherton Add Larry Atherton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bill(Chew)
UKC Forum Member

Listen to the old dogs! I had one years ago that I would ask him if he wanted to go, if he barked at you, the dogs would tree coons that night, if he just wagged his tail you would not. He would hunt as well as the other dogs but find no tracks. Other hunters you met would have had no better luck.

Don't listen to the young dogs, they just want to go!

Old Post 03-23-2020 05:43 PM
Bill(Chew) is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bill(Chew) Click here to Send Bill(Chew) a Private Message Click Here to Email Bill(Chew) Find more posts by Bill(Chew) Add Bill(Chew) to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sfox91
UKC Forum Member

Somewhere, someplace, every single night a coon is moving....just have to have a dog with the drive to go find it.

Old Post 03-23-2020 05:53 PM
Sfox91 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sfox91 Click here to Send Sfox91 a Private Message Click Here to Email Sfox91 Find more posts by Sfox91 Add Sfox91 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
harleydan1956
UKC Forum Member

I have always heard from old hunters( even older than me) that barometric pressure affects all animals tbe same. Fishing, hunting, farm. Ever had nights coon shouldn't be moving, but had a great night. Or a really nice night and hunting was tough? If you leave and cows are up feeding... You're gonna do good. If cows are all laying down... Be prepared to walk. I know, what if half are up and half are down... pressure is adjusting, either you are hitting start or finish...
Take note sometime. You might be surprised

Canton, ohio
330-904-3392

Home of:
Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Moonlight Serenade... Gr. Ch. Nite Ch PR Hillbillys Smokey River Dutch HTX X Gr. Ch. Nite CH. PR Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara
Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Lil Bit of Respect.... Ch. Nite Ch PR Shivers' Magic Lead X GR. Ch. Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Betty Jane
PR. Lethal Blue Tayen Grace..... Nite Ch. Pr Coffins creek running J.R. X Gr Ch Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Moonlite Serenade.

Gone but never forgotten
Gr. Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara... Dual Gr. Ch PR Bowens Blue Deuce X Ch. Nite Ch. PR Becky.

Gr Ch Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Betty Jane...... PR. Crites Soggy Bottom Blue Banjo X PR. Mosquito Creek Tree mamma Sis

Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Rattlin Samantha ... Dual Gr Ch PR Mid Ohio Rattlin Sam X Gr Ch PR. Lethal Blue Jet's Xena

Gr. Ch. Nite Ch Hillbilly's Smokey River Blue Dutch HTX..... Gr. Ch. Gr. Nite Ch Pr. Smokey River Tramp's Blue Lake and Pr. Misty River Blue Doll III.
(Dutch wasn't ours, but he was here and like one of the family)

Pr. Dan's little Porter.... my last beagle...

Old Post 03-23-2020 06:13 PM
harleydan1956 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for harleydan1956 Click here to Send harleydan1956 a Private Message Click Here to Email harleydan1956 Find more posts by harleydan1956 Add harleydan1956 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pigsit
UKC Forum Member

Heres what I know about coon movement, if I'm hunting big creeks, and I'm not after coon, I move to the branches off of them, if still not treeing coon, I move to the hills and oak bottoms. If I'm packing a descent dog some where he will get after a coon,it may take a few drops, but we'll eventually tree some.

Dual GRNTCH Wendy
GRNTCH Cola
GrNtCH Honky Tonk Rock and Roll
Dual GRCH Bumper
Dual CH June
Dual CH Jill

Old Post 03-23-2020 06:17 PM
pigsit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pigsit Click here to Send pigsit a Private Message Click Here to Email pigsit Find more posts by pigsit Add pigsit to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FLYbyNIGHT
UKC Forum Member

I know every night there was a full moon ...the dogs would throw locates all night long...and it would take foever to hook the right tree ...but those super dark nights they would tree em quick...

Guess the moonlight made the coons more likely to tap trees...

Old Post 03-24-2020 01:28 AM
FLYbyNIGHT is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FLYbyNIGHT Click here to Send FLYbyNIGHT a Private Message Find more posts by FLYbyNIGHT Add FLYbyNIGHT to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gmccall
UKC Forum Member

I think coon move a little every night but we as hunters sometimes give up and call it a night. An example : a couple of years ago I was visiting a friend in bloomington In we started hunting around 6pm, man the dogs were covering a lot of ground I think we treed a slick and a hollow tree that was probably slick . I told my friend Tim this is not our night, it was around 1 am Tim said one more drop and we will call it a night it started from there and we got back to the truck at 7 am we had treed 19 up 12 trees one of the best nights I ever had. You just never know when the coons will move!

Old Post 03-24-2020 12:29 PM
Gmccall is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gmccall Click here to Send Gmccall a Private Message Click Here to Email Gmccall Find more posts by Gmccall Add Gmccall to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by FLYbyNIGHT
I know every night there was a full moon ...the dogs would throw locates all night long...and it would take foever to hook the right tree ...but those super dark nights they would tree em quick...

Guess the moonlight made the coons more likely to tap trees...

squirrels

Old Post 03-24-2020 02:16 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rdmedders
UKC Forum Member

Btt

Old Post 03-25-2020 11:07 PM
rdmedders is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rdmedders Click here to Send rdmedders a Private Message Click Here to Email rdmedders Find more posts by rdmedders Add rdmedders to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote