UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Training young dog
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Cooners1994
New UKC Forum Member

Training young dog

what do y’all show or expose yalls pups to at 3 months?

Thanks

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-05-2020 02:25 AM
Cooners1994 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cooners1994 Click here to Send Cooners1994 a Private Message Click Here to Email Cooners1994 Find more posts by Cooners1994 Add Cooners1994 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ed Hillenbrand
UKC Forum Member

Training

I expose them to Puppy Chow and daytime walks in the woods. A pup needs to know how to get through the woods and across creeks before they are ready to get down to business. They should also get used to riding in the dog box. I have seen guys take a six month old pup that has never been out of the kennel and expect it to perform the first night out. THAT rarely happens.

Old Post 03-05-2020 04:47 AM
Ed Hillenbrand is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ed Hillenbrand Click here to Send Ed Hillenbrand a Private Message Click Here to Email Ed Hillenbrand Find more posts by Ed Hillenbrand Add Ed Hillenbrand to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cotton 1927
UKC Forum Member

Re: Training

quote:
Originally posted by Ed Hillenbrand
I expose them to Puppy Chow and daytime walks in the woods. A pup needs to know how to get through the woods and across creeks before they are ready to get down to business. They should also get used to riding in the dog box. I have seen guys take a six month old pup that has never been out of the kennel and expect it to perform the first night out. THAT rarely happens.
sound advice! Short walks in a patch of brush by the house is great training for a pup yard work for basic commands, short rides in the dog box time spent now is time well spent....

Old Post 03-05-2020 02:12 PM
Cotton 1927 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cotton 1927 Click here to Send Cotton 1927 a Private Message Click Here to Email Cotton 1927 Find more posts by Cotton 1927 Add Cotton 1927 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lance Laymon
UKC Forum Member

If at all possible keep them in the house and expose them to everything. TV, Kids, radio, strangers, and play lots of fun games with them.

Old Post 03-05-2020 05:40 PM
Lance Laymon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lance Laymon Click here to Send Lance Laymon a Private Message Find more posts by Lance Laymon Add Lance Laymon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

Lettm run loose, 24/7, if possible.....and stay out of there way, lettm be dogs.
... they'll be smarter and easier to civilize.....once Alpha (u) is established.

Old Post 03-05-2020 06:22 PM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
delta nightlife
UKC Forum Member

Do all of the above

Old Post 03-05-2020 08:28 PM
delta nightlife is offline Click Here to See the Profile for delta nightlife Click here to Send delta nightlife a Private Message Click Here to Email delta nightlife Find more posts by delta nightlife Add delta nightlife to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
delta nightlife
UKC Forum Member

i have mine whistle trained by 3 months old

Old Post 03-05-2020 08:30 PM
delta nightlife is offline Click Here to See the Profile for delta nightlife Click here to Send delta nightlife a Private Message Click Here to Email delta nightlife Find more posts by delta nightlife Add delta nightlife to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Just my 2 cents which is worth 1 cent, but the biggest thing is to interact with the pup a lot. If you want him in the house that is fine but most will probably be outside so don't put him in a pen and just feed him once a day. You need to spend some time with him. With that said I am afraid ever since we reached a point where we want 5-7 month old dogs treeing coon like old dogs I think we push pups too hard. Some seem to handle it ok but I also think some may never reach their potential because of the pressure put on early. Every dog is different but don't be afraid to let him be a pup for a while.

Old Post 03-05-2020 09:38 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote