UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Possum Breaking Gone wrong!
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
BluetickHound22
UKC Forum Member

Possum Breaking Gone wrong!

I have a 2 yr old dog that I’ve been having a problem with on possum. Tried everything I can think of to break him off of it. Seems that I have broke him off the tree instead. Need some advice on how to fix the problem. TIA

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-16-2017 02:20 AM
BluetickHound22 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BluetickHound22 Click here to Send BluetickHound22 a Private Message Click Here to Email BluetickHound22 Find more posts by BluetickHound22 Add BluetickHound22 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
harleydan1956
UKC Forum Member

I never shock a dog on the tree. But I will shoot the opposum out and when they grab it.... Shock the crap outta them. But only after it is in their mouth. Even if you need to, catch one in a live trap.

Canton, ohio
330-904-3392

Home of:
Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Moonlight Serenade... Gr. Ch. Nite Ch PR Hillbillys Smokey River Dutch HTX X Gr. Ch. Nite CH. PR Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara
Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Lil Bit of Respect.... Ch. Nite Ch PR Shivers' Magic Lead X GR. Ch. Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Betty Jane
PR. Lethal Blue Tayen Grace..... Nite Ch. Pr Coffins creek running J.R. X Gr Ch Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Moonlite Serenade.

Gone but never forgotten
Gr. Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara... Dual Gr. Ch PR Bowens Blue Deuce X Ch. Nite Ch. PR Becky.

Gr Ch Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Betty Jane...... PR. Crites Soggy Bottom Blue Banjo X PR. Mosquito Creek Tree mamma Sis

Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Rattlin Samantha ... Dual Gr Ch PR Mid Ohio Rattlin Sam X Gr Ch PR. Lethal Blue Jet's Xena

Gr. Ch. Nite Ch Hillbilly's Smokey River Blue Dutch HTX..... Gr. Ch. Gr. Nite Ch Pr. Smokey River Tramp's Blue Lake and Pr. Misty River Blue Doll III.
(Dutch wasn't ours, but he was here and like one of the family)

Pr. Dan's little Porter.... my last beagle...

Old Post 10-16-2017 02:24 AM
harleydan1956 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for harleydan1956 Click here to Send harleydan1956 a Private Message Click Here to Email harleydan1956 Find more posts by harleydan1956 Add harleydan1956 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

Re: Possum Breaking Gone wrong!

quote:
Originally posted by BluetickHound22
I have a 2 yr old dog that I’ve been having a problem with on possum. Tried everything I can think of to break him off of it. Seems that I have broke him off the tree instead. Need some advice on how to fix the problem. TIA

Leave him alone and just hunt him for a while, You have confused him. Normally if something doen't work with a dog in a couple of tries you need to do something different. They aint getting it.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 10-16-2017 04:06 AM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ItsOlMander
UKC Forum Member

dont ever shoot anything out to them that you dont want them to run/tree. getting the game at the end is the ultimate prize. you need to expose him to a possum outside of hunting and make him not want anything to do with a possum from there. as far as getting him to tree, try to get him on a hot coon track and then praise him when he trees. it may take a little time for him to get back in the swing of things.

- In Loving Memory of -
DEEP SPRINGS BLACK MAX
&
LEVIS SOUTHERN BLUE DOC

Old Post 10-16-2017 01:41 PM
ItsOlMander is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ItsOlMander Click here to Send ItsOlMander a Private Message Find more posts by ItsOlMander Add ItsOlMander to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Todd_Miller
UKC Forum Member

He'll come back around just hunt em and be ready to praise him up and reward him with the coon.

Old Post 10-16-2017 01:46 PM
Todd_Miller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Todd_Miller Click here to Send Todd_Miller a Private Message Click Here to Email Todd_Miller Find more posts by Todd_Miller Add Todd_Miller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John Carroll
UKC Forum Member

I never shoot anything I don't want them to keep treeing.

Dogs can'treason.

In his mind,he is getting shocked for grabbing a possum on the ground.

Treeing didn't hurt at all.

I will bump them with the collar right off the tree.

I start out on a pretty mild setting,and dial it up if they keep treeing them. Don't try to fix it in one night. Be consistent.

If they aren't smart enough to be broke off possums without breaking them from treeing,they aren't smart enough to ever suit me anyway.

Old Post 10-16-2017 02:36 PM
John Carroll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John Carroll Click here to Send John Carroll a Private Message Click Here to Email John Carroll Find more posts by John Carroll Add John Carroll to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Other alternatives:

1. Possum pot pie
2.whata possum sandwich with cheese
3. Possum in a blanket
4. Support the PHKC and be the first $35,000 possum treeing world champion.

Old Post 10-16-2017 02:55 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John Carroll
UKC Forum Member

When I was a kid I skinned a jillion of them for a buck a piece.

Old Post 10-16-2017 03:06 PM
John Carroll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John Carroll Click here to Send John Carroll a Private Message Click Here to Email John Carroll Find more posts by John Carroll Add John Carroll to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RoadOil NC
UKC Forum Member

Shock cage works.

Old Post 10-16-2017 07:24 PM
RoadOil NC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RoadOil NC Click here to Send RoadOil NC a Private Message Click Here to Email RoadOil NC Find more posts by RoadOil NC Add RoadOil NC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
buchcoonhunter
UKC Forum Member

possum

get a live one. throw in dog box with em', fry. worked every time for me. i would never shoot one out and try to fry, backfired on me.

Old Post 10-16-2017 07:56 PM
buchcoonhunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for buchcoonhunter Click here to Send buchcoonhunter a Private Message Click Here to Email buchcoonhunter Find more posts by buchcoonhunter Add buchcoonhunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

Re: Possum Breaking Gone wrong!

quote:

Are you saying the dog won't tree on a coon now ? Or he'll mess with the possum but won't tree on it ?

Old Post 10-16-2017 07:58 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wjoey
Banned

KEEP HUNTING AND DONT CORRECT HIM SO HARD ON A OPPOSUM JUST HOOK THE LEAD GIVE A JERK AND SAY NO AND TURN HIM BACK LOOSE , BEST WOULD BE TO GO WITH A COON DOG AND SHOOT ONE COON OUT TO HIM OR TRAP HIM ONE

UKC PREFORMANCE SIRE Nt ch pkc ch BAM BAM The only one out of WORLD CH BIG D X GRNT SKIPPERS UMFORGIVEN SAIGE she has 21 pups 4nt ch 5 grnt ch thats 42.85%
He is a coon dog!
Nt ch ch Insane Minnie MouseInsane cain x Malden Branch Mouse

HOME OF 2 TIME AQHA HORSE OF THE YEAR
World champion working cow horse snaffle bit
SMART LITTLE LEGEND
ETCHA CHAMPION
HCHA CHAMPION
Top 16 NCHA WORLD Champion
Home of GHSRA All Around Cowboy Champion Chris wilbanks

Jerico Rebel our Movie star horse hes been in three films now 35 years old
Just passed away February 4th 2016

MY OLD DOGS GONE BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN
The one I will allways miss now deceased 01/09/2013
GR CH GRAND NT CH Handosme Trudy
SIRE PKC WLD CH GR NT WHATS UP DOC
DAM GR NT HUTCHINS SUGAR

GRCH GR NT CH COBBLER CREEK WENDY
GR NT STYLISH TUFF - WENDY X STYLISH LIPPER
GR NT STYLISH TACK - WENDY X STYLISH LIPPER

NT CH SOUTHERN STYLE - JP'S HIGH STYLE X HOUSES LADY

Old Post 10-16-2017 09:52 PM
wjoey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wjoey Click here to Send wjoey a Private Message Find more posts by wjoey Add wjoey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
l p w
UKC Forum Member

possums

I have found out the easiest way for me is to just scould them and make them go on they will quit on there own pretty quick jmo

Old Post 10-16-2017 10:03 PM
l p w is offline Click Here to See the Profile for l p w Click here to Send l p w a Private Message Click Here to Email l p w Find more posts by l p w Add l p w to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BluetickHound22
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Possum Breaking Gone wrong!

quote:
Originally posted by Donnie Stevens
Are you saying the dog won't tree on a coon now ? Or he'll mess with the possum but won't tree on it ?

Now when he is on a coon track he’ll get treed. Once I get there he comes off the tree and quits treeing and just stands beside me. Have to get him all excited again to find which tree he’s treeing on.
And I can usually tell In his voice when he’s treeing a opossum. But can’t get him off of them.

Old Post 10-17-2017 06:45 AM
BluetickHound22 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BluetickHound22 Click here to Send BluetickHound22 a Private Message Click Here to Email BluetickHound22 Find more posts by BluetickHound22 Add BluetickHound22 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

Pm sent

Old Post 10-17-2017 04:25 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
firebird
UKC Forum Member

Send him up here. No possums around

Old Post 10-17-2017 06:47 PM
firebird is offline Click Here to See the Profile for firebird Click here to Send firebird a Private Message Find more posts by firebird Add firebird to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
swamp1
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by wjoey
KEEP HUNTING AND DONT CORRECT HIM SO HARD ON A OPPOSUM JUST HOOK THE LEAD GIVE A JERK AND SAY NO AND TURN HIM BACK LOOSE , BEST WOULD BE TO GO WITH A COON DOG AND SHOOT ONE COON OUT TO HIM OR TRAP HIM ONE
x2, that's the way to get him to trust you again when you come in to tree. Be smarter than dog. Catch a live one if you can and let him tree it all he wants and reward him. No reward at all when messing with a opposums, don't even look at dog,just least and leave quickly, dogs aren't stupid. He ain't a slick treeing idiot.

Old Post 10-17-2017 07:49 PM
swamp1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for swamp1 Click here to Send swamp1 a Private Message Find more posts by swamp1 Add swamp1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
swamp1
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Possum Breaking Gone wrong!

quote:
Now when he is on a coon track he’ll get treed. Once I get there he comes off the tree and quits treeing and just stands beside me. Have to get him all excited again to find which tree he’s treeing on.
And I can usually tell In his voice when he’s treeing a opossum. But can’t get him off of them.

he's afraid of what's coming when you arrive at tree. Reward him for coons, ignore him on opposums, just leave in a hurry,abruptly. No more shocking or stern discipline for awhile and hope you ain't over done it already. Just praise him and give him treat when he treed a coon.

Old Post 10-17-2017 08:01 PM
swamp1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for swamp1 Click here to Send swamp1 a Private Message Find more posts by swamp1 Add swamp1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joseph robinson
UKC Forum Member

possum

If the dog will tree one, he'll also scoop one up in the field. That's when I'd shock him.

Old Post 10-17-2017 08:57 PM
joseph robinson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joseph robinson Click here to Send joseph robinson a Private Message Find more posts by joseph robinson Add joseph robinson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Coongrease
UKC Forum Member

Sounds like you guys ain't ever had one that hard to break. I have one that took awhile, leashing him up and sending him on didn't work too well for him, he about broke me before I broke him. Lol

Old Post 10-17-2017 10:51 PM
Coongrease is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Coongrease Click here to Send Coongrease a Private Message Find more posts by Coongrease Add Coongrease to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rghnd123
UKC Forum Member

Oppossom

Some cannot be broke. It may be something you have to learn to deal with.

Old Post 10-18-2017 12:59 AM
rghnd123 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rghnd123 Click here to Send rghnd123 a Private Message Click Here to Email rghnd123 Visit rghnd123's homepage! Find more posts by rghnd123 Add rghnd123 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bryan K Webb
UKC Forum Member

Coongrease, I was just curious what you did to break your dog from treeing possums... I had one a couple years ago that was super tough to break and was wondering what your method was....
Thanks

Old Post 10-18-2017 01:48 AM
Bryan K Webb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bryan K Webb Click here to Send Bryan K Webb a Private Message Click Here to Email Bryan K Webb Find more posts by Bryan K Webb Add Bryan K Webb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I am going to give you some advice I have trained all my life came from a time where you only had your dog leash and light. In your case the first thing you got to realize is every dog is an individual you don't train them all the same. Here is what I want you to do for 60 days take that shock collar off of him you got to fix the damage you have done first. Just hunt him you go into that tree he has a coon reward him he has a possum don't spend no more time at that tree than you have to when you see that he is starting to get solid again same thing coon reward him possum when you see it walk off and leave him there as your going to the truck call him once in a while he will do one of two things he will come to the truck in a little bit and you move or he will go on and tree a coon and reward him but no more disipline for 60 to 90 days.

Tar

Old Post 10-18-2017 02:12 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

I agree biggest concern is to fix the damage already done but during that process I'd take every possum I could get my hands on and beat him within an inch of his life with it. Right in his face. This leaves no room for misinterpretation.

Get him back to treein coons first. I've watched it work for skunks too(from a distance lol)

Last edited by Donnie Stevens on 10-18-2017 at 02:55 AM

Old Post 10-18-2017 02:47 AM
Coongrease
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Bryan K Webb
Coongrease, I was just curious what you did to break your dog from treeing possums... I had one a couple years ago that was super tough to break and was wondering what your method was....
Thanks

I finally decided that I had had enough, I started shooting them out or shaking them out soon as he acted like he was gonna get ahold of it I would shock him it took awhile. He is very strong willed. He got to where he would stop treeing when he saw my light coming if he had a possum, he did that for a couple months , If he stopped treeing I would go straight in and not even shine the tree ,whip him and send him on, haven't looked at a possum in his tree for 2 yrs now , but he treed so many that I still don't call him broke. Lol. Good luck ,alot of dogs couldn't take what he did. Guess my will was stronger than is.

Old Post 10-18-2017 03:08 AM
Coongrease is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Coongrease Click here to Send Coongrease a Private Message Find more posts by Coongrease Add Coongrease to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote