UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Dogtra Pathfinder
Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Jim, I think you might be right there and that may be the key.

I used it last night without downloading maps and it worked fine. That is a main question I have. Says you can download 200mb at a time but until I do that I am not sure how much area 200mb is.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-02-2017 03:37 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
Jim, I think you might be right there and that may be the key.

I used it last night without downloading maps and it worked fine. That is a main question I have. Says you can download 200mb at a time but until I do that I am not sure how much area 200mb is.

about 60 square miles at best guess, and while easy to do, the map downloads are pretty small, and you can not really tell where the map you just downloaded is, so they are going to overlap or have gaps.

Old Post 02-02-2017 03:42 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
duke20002000
UKC Forum Member

Thanks

Thanks for info bruce

Old Post 02-02-2017 06:47 PM
duke20002000 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for duke20002000 Click here to Send duke20002000 a Private Message Click Here to Email duke20002000 Find more posts by duke20002000 Add duke20002000 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Here is a video of the first drop last night. One dog and me. lol
http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums...zpscf4kvtiq.mp4

Old Post 02-02-2017 06:56 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Pathfinder ........

Any New info on this System guys ?
I watched a couple of videos......it looks like it's pretty Nice !
Heck a lot cheaper than Garmin too...!!!
Tim

Quality, Dependable Coon Lights--Built by a Coonhunter for Coonhunters
==================================
** Superior Lights

** Sunspot Hunting Lights

** Zepp's--Quality Products

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

** They Twist it until they start believing it themselves**

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Competition Coonhunters and Politicians
** Win anyway you have to & tell everyone what they want to hear **

Old Post 02-05-2017 02:56 PM
Triple K Kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Triple K Kennel Click here to Send Triple K Kennel a Private Message Find more posts by Triple K Kennel Add Triple K Kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Here is a video of the first drop last night. One dog and me. lol
http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums...zpscf4kvtiq.mp4

Holy cow! On my best day, I couldn't move fast enough to keep up with Bruce.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 02-05-2017 03:29 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

Re: Pathfinder ........

quote:
Originally posted by Triple K Kennel
Any New info on this System guys ?
I watched a couple of videos......it looks like it's pretty Nice !
Heck a lot cheaper than Garmin too...!!!
Tim

I went two nights ago and couldn't get it to connect to my device. Figured it out and trying it again tonight.

Old Post 02-05-2017 03:47 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Josh...

Thanks for the update Josh.....
Looks like it might be a little complicated getting everything setup, at least from the video ?
Tim

** Superior Lights

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

Old Post 02-05-2017 04:00 PM
Triple K Kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Triple K Kennel Click here to Send Triple K Kennel a Private Message Find more posts by Triple K Kennel Add Triple K Kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gasserdogs
UKC Forum Member

pathfinder

help me if im missing something here . wouldnt the pathfinder be a device to fall under the misconduct rule (F) in ukc rule book under
Misconduct
Situations involving misconduct do not fall under the
appeals procedure. Refer to the Misconduct Section
in the Official UKC Coonhound Rulebook for complete
procedures and instructions.
Misconduct may include, but is not limited to:
(a) Intimidating, threatening, or injuring another
individual.
(b) Falsifying event related documents.
(c) Abuse, neglect or drugging of a dog in conjunction
with an event.
(d) Intentionally killing game in conjunction with
an event.
(e) Use of any device used to control dog during
hunting time.
(f) Relaying any type of electronic messaging
with reference to scores, that is deemed detrimental
to the hunt .
now i know that you have to prove that they sent a message but it is known that it will happen. and does happen now so why would they allow this device to be carried during hunt time. just looking for different opinions and not worrying about hurting anyones feelings this will be a debateable topic

Old Post 02-05-2017 04:21 PM
gasserdogs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gasserdogs Click here to Send gasserdogs a Private Message Find more posts by gasserdogs Add gasserdogs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

Re: pathfinder

quote:
Originally posted by gasserdogs
help me if im missing something here . wouldnt the pathfinder be a device to fall under the misconduct rule (F) in ukc rule book under
Misconduct
Situations involving misconduct do not fall under the
appeals procedure. Refer to the Misconduct Section
in the Official UKC Coonhound Rulebook for complete
procedures and instructions.
Misconduct may include, but is not limited to:
(a) Intimidating, threatening, or injuring another
individual.
(b) Falsifying event related documents.
(c) Abuse, neglect or drugging of a dog in conjunction
with an event.
(d) Intentionally killing game in conjunction with
an event.
(e) Use of any device used to control dog during
hunting time.
(f) Relaying any type of electronic messaging
with reference to scores, that is deemed detrimental
to the hunt .
now i know that you have to prove that they sent a message but it is known that it will happen. and does happen now so why would they allow this device to be carried during hunt time. just looking for different opinions and not worrying about hurting anyones feelings this will be a debateable topic

It has a shocking and tone function. You can't use it in a UKC cast.

Old Post 02-05-2017 06:25 PM
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

Re: Josh...

quote:
Originally posted by Triple K Kennel
Thanks for the update Josh.....
Looks like it might be a little complicated getting everything setup, at least from the video ?
Tim

You know it really wasn't bad. I just had a phone setting messed up.

Old Post 02-05-2017 06:28 PM
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

Hunted with it all night last night with no complaints.

The good

The maps are amazing
The Range is good
It is easy to use
Its cheap.

The bad

Can't track your buddy's dogs
Offline maps are apparently not terrain view
Can't have them in a cast
Uses a phone

I am getting another collar and am going to keep it and use it when I am hunting by myself around the house. Its a cool unit

Old Post 02-06-2017 05:41 PM
Doug A
UKC Forum Member

Keeping track of this post. This product sounds interesting. Garmin needs some competition to motivate a price decline.

Old Post 02-10-2017 10:06 PM
Doug A is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Doug A Click here to Send Doug A a Private Message Click Here to Email Doug A Find more posts by Doug A Add Doug A to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Doug A
Keeping track of this post. This product sounds interesting. Garmin needs some competition to motivate a price decline.

I'm going to keep my alpha and one T5 for the hunts and only hunt with this unit. I like it that much so far

Old Post 02-10-2017 11:03 PM
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

If you don't mind using your phone in the woods, then this system will work. If you don't have cell service or buy a phone that doesn't have service to use only with this system alll you going to get is a basic map which will work for many. I know my hunting ground pretty well so basic maps work for me.
I will give them credit. It is the first system that performed as it should without a lot of scratching your head. To be fair o the other systems my use of them was early in their design.

Old Post 02-10-2017 11:10 PM
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

You can't have a phone on a cast?

Old Post 02-11-2017 01:52 PM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
buchcoonhunter
UKC Forum Member

pathfinder

i'd like to get some more feedback on this system as well! if you all have any updates please post them!

Old Post 02-11-2017 02:13 PM
buchcoonhunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for buchcoonhunter Click here to Send buchcoonhunter a Private Message Click Here to Email buchcoonhunter Find more posts by buchcoonhunter Add buchcoonhunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

I will try to explain it the best I can. It is a fairly simple system and easy to use. The one draw back I think for many is the fact you have to use your phone with it. Then the second thing is if you don't have service even with your phone your limited to basic maps. Now you can purchase a phone not hooked into any system and use it as a stand alone device with no fees but then again on that phone the maps are basic maps. I purchased a $60 phone of AMAZON and tested it with it and then also my iPhone. Works good with both, the mapping is the only difference.

I will try to explain the difference. With an ALPHA you have the TT15 Collar which tracks and trains. The Dogtra has a collar very similar in size and shape and does the same thing.
With the ALPHA you have a handheld with has the gps in it and all the mapping and everything you need.
With the dogtra you have what's called the CONNECTOR which is a little black box that collects the signal from the collar and interfaces it to the phone through a bluetooth connection. The phone already has the built in features of the GPS and when you download the app, it gives you map selections and ties everything to gather.

I have my collar on a 2 second update and got right at 24 hours of batter life out of it. Again your limit is going to be the phone. I have a newer iPhone which has a newer bigger battery and I can hunt 6 hours. I have heard but not verified some of the older phones are only getting 3 or 4 hours. The phone I purchased that is not connected has not been tested yet to see how long it will operate connected to the collar.

I think if I was a squirrel hunter or coon hunter with one or two dogs in the woods the system would be totally accurate. If your one of these guys that have to watch the screen all the time, your just asking for damage to your phone.

Nothing wrong with it, just another way to skin the cat. Because of the difference in systems and interface with the phone. I don't think it could be a serious contender to compete with the ALPHA. On the other hand, not a bad choice for those who don't mind some limitations.

Kodey in KY makes some videos for us. Here are a couple on the Pathfinder.
https://youtu.be/E11SPTpUbwg

https://youtu.be/pVT1k-ua0qM

https://youtu.be/EQP5f2kLIWg

Last edited by Bruce m. Conkey on 02-11-2017 at 08:55 PM

Old Post 02-11-2017 02:33 PM
buchcoonhunter
UKC Forum Member

Update

Thanks for the review Bruce, I'm interested in it. Will you have those for sale at walker days

Old Post 02-11-2017 02:39 PM
buchcoonhunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for buchcoonhunter Click here to Send buchcoonhunter a Private Message Click Here to Email buchcoonhunter Find more posts by buchcoonhunter Add buchcoonhunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

South Eastern Treeing Walker Days. That is correct. Will have some there.

Old Post 02-11-2017 02:43 PM
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Thanks Triple K I fixed them. If you want delete those mess up ones. lol

Old Post 02-11-2017 08:56 PM
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Thanks Triple K I fixed them. If you want delete those mess up ones. lol

I deleted the messed up ones.......LOL
Tim

** Superior Lights

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

Old Post 02-12-2017 12:08 PM
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Btt

Btt....

** Superior Lights

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

Old Post 02-19-2017 10:29 PM
qchounds
UKC Forum Member

Waterproof smartphone

There are several waterproof smartphones . this one is $69. I think that would handle some abuse. We all carry our phones every night in the timber, and don't have problems protecting them. Granted, if this were your gps tracker, you would definitely have it out more that your phone is currently used.

https://www.amazon.com/Kyocera-Hydr...roof+smartphone

I am going to keep an eye on this system, and might go for it if the old 220 dies

Last edited by qchounds on 02-21-2017 at 04:37 PM

Old Post 02-21-2017 04:34 PM
qchounds is offline Click Here to See the Profile for qchounds Click here to Send qchounds a Private Message Click Here to Email qchounds Find more posts by qchounds Add qchounds to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
buchcoonhunter
UKC Forum Member

pathfinder

think i'm gonna give one of these systems a try, lots of options and great value. does anyone know how long your smart phone battery holds up using this? i know it will vary, i normally keep a dimmer screen to conserve battery power on my garmin anyways.

Old Post 02-22-2017 10:36 PM