UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > The best have faults or quirks.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Jeff Prince
UKC Forum Member

The best have faults or quirks.

What didn't you like about the best you've seen ? I would litteraly trade my house for the best dog I had again.
She wasn't perfect and I haven't seen one I thought was.
Simi silent ( I want open trailer )and didn't hunt worth a **** alone ( She'd bust the dark open if you had a Chihuahua with you)

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-19-2019 04:57 AM
Jeff Prince is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jeff Prince Click here to Send Jeff Prince a Private Message Click Here to Email Jeff Prince Find more posts by Jeff Prince Add Jeff Prince to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nathan Harder
UKC Forum Member

Your inbox is full

Iraq War Vet 03-04, 05-06
RECON
618-410-3034

Old Post 10-19-2019 06:44 AM
Nathan Harder is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nathan Harder Click here to Send Nathan Harder a Private Message Click Here to Email Nathan Harder Find more posts by Nathan Harder Add Nathan Harder to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

The best I ever saw would chew at the tree. Ya had to have a all chain leash.

Old Post 10-19-2019 02:06 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by pamjohnson
The best I ever saw would chew at the tree. Ya had to have a all chain leash.

WildWilly has a quick cure for chewing on tree...

Old Post 10-20-2019 11:42 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

One of the best coon tree'ers that I have ever had would not hunt a lick by himself. He was a lil walker dog and super quick but very accurate. He could fly on a track and would just nail a tree and still be accurate. If you turned him loose by himself, he would not leave the truck. If you tried to walk hunt him, he would go back and hide under the truck. But if you turned out another dog, he would leave the country by himself. The other dog didn't even have to go hunting. You just had to line them up and turn them both loose. He was a weird little dog but I won a lot of hunts with him.

Old Post 10-20-2019 02:30 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
One of the best coon tree'ers that I have ever had would not hunt a lick by himself. He was a lil walker dog and super quick but very accurate. He could fly on a track and would just nail a tree and still be accurate. If you turned him loose by himself, he would not leave the truck. If you tried to walk hunt him, he would go back and hide under the truck. But if you turned out another dog, he would leave the country by himself. The other dog didn't even have to go hunting. You just had to line them up and turn them both loose. He was a weird little dog but I won a lot of hunts with him.
You still have this same bloodline today??????????????????????

Old Post 10-20-2019 02:49 PM
CHEWBACH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHEWBACH Click here to Send CHEWBACH a Private Message Find more posts by CHEWBACH Add CHEWBACH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

One of the most talented dogs I've seen go was missing consistency. He operated when he wanted to. He has the talent to tree every coon and any type of coon possible. I had the pleasure of hunting him for 2 yrs. We have a couple daughters and a son out of him. All have the some of his talent but not all of his talent. It's frustrating to have a "want to" coondawg.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 10-21-2019 02:50 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Corey Gruver
UKC Forum Member

One of the best coon dogs I ever had the pleasure of hunting with wouldn't hunt for anyone but her owner. That was pretty annoying lol

Old Post 10-21-2019 03:02 PM
Corey Gruver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Corey Gruver Click here to Send Corey Gruver a Private Message Find more posts by Corey Gruver Add Corey Gruver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Nothing hunting related but, Quirks... Shack hates bugs and won't lay on the ground and God forbid there is a flying insect near him, he catches flies out of the air. Also, I believe left handed like Chey. Idk if any of you have ever tried to lead around a dog raised by a left handed person but the dog takes on the same back @$$ward traits that lefties do. Mafia wouldn't eat dog food when we traveled he had to have people food he would also always want in the front of the truck not the dog box. Dalton says the whole group are prima donnas. No real quirks while hunting just individually each has it's own unique personality and a few strange habits.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 10-21-2019 03:05 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

I had one that I thought had no faults or quirks.... absolutely the same every night. The only thing I would change is that he would have lived a longer life. He only lasted 11 years.

Old Post 10-21-2019 05:36 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rocketman55
UKC Forum Member

The dog that comes to mind for me was Gr,Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Rocket's grandpa. His name was Tree Banging Buddy.

He was by far the VERY BEST coon catching dog I ever owned. He could tree coons most dogs had NO idea were in the woods. He could count coons and REMEMBER each coon sitting up that he had past up in pursuit of the coon he was chasing. I have seen him many times drive one to a hole and within 30-45 seconds fall treed maybe 50 to 100 yards in front of you.

I quit hunting him in the hunts when he was two years old, which was in 1981 because his QUIRK was that he simply would NOT stay treed with a strong treeing male dog and especially so in that dog was black and white. He hated walkers and I attributed that to a buddy of mine's walker dog that would grab him by the back legs and try to pull him off a tree.

The last hunt Buddy was in, he treed 3 of the 4 singles we treed in the cast and never got credit for any of them. He would be treed for 3-3 1/2 minutes before anything would cover and then simply leave when the calvary arrived for a piece of the action. I knew he had exceptional locating ability, and thought if he had the temperament for strange male dogs, he could have most certainly won a world hunt, but being as he was he wasn't worth a quarter for comp hunting.

Having said that, I took his Grandson on top and his great grandson on bottom, Mayles Hooper Ridge Rocket and won High scoring English Male at the 2002 and 2003 #KC world hunt,placing 11th and 7th in those consecutive years. Not because Rocket had more coon treeing ability than his grandpa (Tree Banging Buddy) but because Rocket had the temperament to deal with strong willed tree dogs, and Buddy did not. So that is the one dog that if he didn't have that quirk of leaving a tree with male dogs he would have been nationally known.

And what is even stranger is that Buddy only showed this quirk in a competition hunt. If You brought a male dog over and we went pleasure hunting, you would never see him leave his tree, but put him in a competition hunt, and he would leave within 10 seconds after being covered. Crazy but true!!

Glouster, Ohio 45732
Home To:
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Hang'em High Holly
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Rockets Top Gun.
Gr.Nt.Ch.Hooper Ridge Rocket
Gr.Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Dolly
Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Queen
Nt.Ch Raw Dawg Rowdy
PR Tree Banging Buddy
HOOPER RIDGE ENGLISH-POUND FOR POUND THEY ARE ONE TOUGH HOUND!!!!

Old Post 10-22-2019 02:59 AM
Rocketman55 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rocketman55 Click here to Send Rocketman55 a Private Message Click Here to Email Rocketman55 Find more posts by Rocketman55 Add Rocketman55 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote