UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > As a general rule...
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
high ridge
UKC Forum Member

Only thing killing coons does is satisfy the man.

I can’t say anything about anyone for shooting coon. No man or woman has ever been more blood thirsty than I at killing coons so I have no room to say not too

5 years or so ago I started leaving the gun at the truck 98% of the time

My hounds have improved dramatically and my coon population also

But, kill all you want I have no room to say not too

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-15-2021 05:46 AM
high ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for high ridge Click here to Send high ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email high ridge Find more posts by high ridge Add high ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
high ridge
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by DocAcumen
I am sure that is a good point.

But , what do the PRO handlers do , or what do the owners of them dogs see as the Ideal method?

As there are guys out there on the road for weeks pushing a hound . that is the next big thing , or at the least trying to make it so!

How long can them hounds go without some meat , or at the lest a doggie biscuit at the tree? And , still hold all the pressure that can be?

AKA , Stay HOOKED on the tree they chose ....
AS 3 other dogs are either running wide open , or on there own tree at the same time!!!!

Be nice to hear what the owners , trainers , Pro handlers have to say about that?

I am laying here in hotel in SC waiting on Pro Hunt tomorrow night BUT I NOT A PRO HANDLER.
I just hunt the dogs the handlers be here tomorrow
I have two dogs that I will enter tomorrow
One is 2 one just turned 3
Both finished high in state race last year
Both have won at Pro Hunts before
Both have won $ at SS
Both are ukc titled

The 2 year old has had 11 coons since August of 2019
The 3 year old has had 7 since July of 2019

Both will stay treed under any type of wide open running pressure you can apply or any other type of pressure that comes along.

Dogs are smarter than their owners lots of times. I got one now smarter than me that is a challenge
They know when they got a coon and when you are happy.
If you hunt that dog long enough you know if they got a coon or not.
Shooting coons don’t make a dog stay treed that’s a myth. I saw 1000’s of dogs tree coon and have them shot out but when put with a dog they pull to a border collie

Does a bird dog have to have birds shot to them for them to find a covey?
Does a beagle run rabbits without having them shot to them?
Will a yard dog tree every squirrel in the yard and never tasted one?

That first coon that pup trees is natural. It’s in them to tree coon. It’s in some to do it better than others and some to never do it.

It is fun to shoot some. That’s part of the hunt. Yes, some dogs like them better and will hustle a bit faster if they get one

Some are like my gyps and just don’t care.

It’s the hunter’s view and they can justify many ways

Last edited by high ridge on 01-15-2021 at 06:00 AM

Old Post 01-15-2021 05:58 AM
high ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for high ridge Click here to Send high ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email high ridge Find more posts by high ridge Add high ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BIG-MAN071
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by high ridge
I am laying here in hotel in SC waiting on Pro Hunt tomorrow night BUT I NOT A PRO HANDLER.
I just hunt the dogs the handlers be here tomorrow
I have two dogs that I will enter tomorrow
One is 2 one just turned 3
Both finished high in state race last year
Both have won at Pro Hunts before
Both have won $ at SS
Both are ukc titled

The 2 year old has had 11 coons since August of 2019
The 3 year old has had 7 since July of 2019

Both will stay treed under any type of wide open running pressure you can apply or any other type of pressure that comes along.

Dogs are smarter than their owners lots of times. I got one now smarter than me that is a challenge
They know when they got a coon and when you are happy.
If you hunt that dog long enough you know if they got a coon or not.
Shooting coons don’t make a dog stay treed that’s a myth. I saw 1000’s of dogs tree coon and have them shot out but when put with a dog they pull to a border collie

Does a bird dog have to have birds shot to them for them to find a covey?
Does a beagle run rabbits without having them shot to them?
Will a yard dog tree every squirrel in the yard and never tasted one?

That first coon that pup trees is natural. It’s in them to tree coon. It’s in some to do it better than others and some to never do it.

It is fun to shoot some. That’s part of the hunt. Yes, some dogs like them better and will hustle a bit faster if they get one

Some are like my gyps and just don’t care.

It’s the hunter’s view and they can justify many ways

I agree !

Old Post 01-15-2021 01:51 PM
BIG-MAN071 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BIG-MAN071 Click here to Send BIG-MAN071 a Private Message Click Here to Email BIG-MAN071 Find more posts by BIG-MAN071 Add BIG-MAN071 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
River Birch Run
UKC Forum Member

Every dog I have raised and trained was diffierent. One dog would get to where he wouldn't tree as hard and would check his tree a little longer after he made 500 to 600 trees. Roll a coon out and he was good. All he would do is sniff the coon a bit and he was good. His son would start pulling up short after about 300 trees. Give him one and he was solid again. I had a good female that was a heck of a kill dog and hard tree dog. She would chew the heck out of a coon. But she never needed a coon rolled out. But she caught a ton on the ground, and would dig them out of holes too. She lived to kill a coon, but would hunt just as hard without getting one. I only drop out 3 to 4 coon a yr to my dogs and i'm in coon country.

Old Post 01-15-2021 04:18 PM
River Birch Run is offline Click Here to See the Profile for River Birch Run Click here to Send River Birch Run a Private Message Find more posts by River Birch Run Add River Birch Run to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote