UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > They Say The...
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
HOBO
UKC Forum Member

They Say The...

They say the average span of a coon hunter is 10 years and then most get out of the sport.

Ten years would be the life span of most hounds to be in their prime. Is the reason most only last 10 years is because they lost their top hound or is there more to it?

I've been coon hunting since I was 13/14 years old. That makes me going on 40 years of chasing these hounds through the woods.

Why does it become such a passion for some and others can just walk away from the sport so easy?

Ch.Swampmusic Lil Bit Sassy
Ch.Swampmusic Misty Shadow
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Boone
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Pride

But Looking To The Future...

Nt.Ch.Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Big Hoss

Dennis Robinson
Cell 540-295-3892

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-08-2017 01:45 PM
HOBO is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HOBO Click here to Send HOBO a Private Message Click Here to Email HOBO Visit HOBO's homepage! Find more posts by HOBO Add HOBO to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DMG_3
UKC Forum Member

I been following hounds about 30 years now Hobo. I guess what keeps me going is the thought of one day following a top notch one lol.

Old Post 12-08-2017 01:57 PM
DMG_3 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DMG_3 Click here to Send DMG_3 a Private Message Find more posts by DMG_3 Add DMG_3 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Hobo let me ask you a serious question the very first time you heard a hound how did that make you feel ? I can remember setting on that back porch with my auntie hearing those dogs not having a clue what they were doing but yet it was a feeling I never will forget I knew right then I wanted to be a part of it and I still love the sound of a hound.

Tar

Old Post 12-08-2017 02:08 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HOBO
UKC Forum Member

Good question Tar....

I'm not really sure of the answer. I grew up around dogs all of my life. My Dad had Brittany Spaniels growing up till we moved to Southwest Va. Then my Granny gave us my Papaw's Mtn Feist and my older brother and I started squirrel hunting with her. I do recall the first squirrel she ever treed for us we both ran to the tree because we had never hunted with a tree dog before and didn't know how long she would stay treed.

I think what actually hooked me on coon hunting was when my first hound (Bluetick) treed her first coon. I was hooked from that night on.

Ch.Swampmusic Lil Bit Sassy
Ch.Swampmusic Misty Shadow
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Boone
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Pride

But Looking To The Future...

Nt.Ch.Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Big Hoss

Dennis Robinson
Cell 540-295-3892

Old Post 12-08-2017 02:15 PM
HOBO is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HOBO Click here to Send HOBO a Private Message Click Here to Email HOBO Visit HOBO's homepage! Find more posts by HOBO Add HOBO to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Jackson
UKC Forum Member

I started coonen when a friend of the family took e at 11 years old. I am now 59. If you started as a pleasure hunter and not as a comp hunter l think that reflects longevity.

Old Post 12-08-2017 02:16 PM
Ron Jackson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Jackson Click here to Send Ron Jackson a Private Message Click Here to Email Ron Jackson Find more posts by Ron Jackson Add Ron Jackson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Hide season was very important to our family. But the first one I skinned by myself did not bring much lol.

Tar

Old Post 12-08-2017 02:27 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DMG_3
UKC Forum Member

First hound i hunted with was also a bluetick Hobo. To this day, one of the best pleasure hounds I've hunted. When he hit a track, i loved listening to that huge bawl. Listened to him many a night, seemed like forever before the other hounds would open on the track. He could sure get one moving.

Old Post 12-08-2017 02:34 PM
DMG_3 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DMG_3 Click here to Send DMG_3 a Private Message Find more posts by DMG_3 Add DMG_3 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

That is certainly part of it Hobo, other reasons are to numerous to list. Normally I think it is just life, jobs and marriage mostly. I have known a lot of people that have hunted all there life but have taken a break from coonhunting for a while. For one thing to have a really nice dog it is time consuming. I can hang my bow or rifle up till next year and not worry about it. The dog needs constant care and hunting. That gets in the way of a lot of things.

I started hunting around 10. Just me and a buddy. A old blue tick without a collar come walking across the yard one day and we caught it and hunted every night we could there from the house. We had never met a coon hunter and didn't have a clue what we were doing. We were afraid that if we cut the dog loose we would loose it. So we kept him on a 10 foot horse lead. He ran deer and armadillo every night. He made two trees in that year. One was a house cat and the other was a big oak. We were so beat up from leading that dog through the woods it was pitiful. We decided we were going to cut him loose and just follow him. He struck a deer and we never seen him again.

We got a job at the sawmill and we both bought a pup from the local paper. He got a blue tick and I got a walker dog. When we went to pick my pup up the old man that had them gave us its daddy. He was an old dog but to this day probably one of the best I ever had. He taught us what a dog was supposed to do. I've never even taken a break sense then.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 12-08-2017 03:14 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bowling
UKC Forum Member

Been at it for 50 years we use to have groundhog dogs I dug a many of one out they would just about kill a dog twice as mean as a coon cut a dog up twice worse but possum hunting and coon hunting was what I enjoyed most my uncle would take me coon hunting every weekend I use to ride behind the seat of an old elcamino for an hour when we would to Lexington Ky to hunt horse farms them was the good old days. I tried to quit a few times but just can't kick the habit.

Old Post 12-08-2017 04:17 PM
bowling is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bowling Click here to Send bowling a Private Message Click Here to Email bowling Visit bowling's homepage! Find more posts by bowling Add bowling to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roy Grant
UKC Forum Member

If I make it thru this season, it will be 55 yrs for me. I get the same feeling today as I did the first time I heard a dog locate (he did not stay long). Some things has changed for the better and some not. Got better hounds, but less places to hunt. I saw a t shirt at AO sums it up best. Coon Hunting..a sickness with NO know cure. I am terminal.

Old Post 12-08-2017 04:29 PM
Roy Grant is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Grant Click here to Send Roy Grant a Private Message Click Here to Email Roy Grant Find more posts by Roy Grant Add Roy Grant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OLD TIMER
UKC Forum Member

Hobo,

Had my first dog, a Cocker, 67 Year’s ago. Went to my first tree 62 Year’s ago and this fall was my 61st year enjoying “the chase” with my own hounds! Within those 61 years I have had Blueticks, Treeing Walkers, Black and Tans, English and Redbones and mixes of those breeds. Also nothing better then a good chase of a rabbit ahead of a nice pack of Beagles which I have been lucky to feed. And this winter will be the 60th year I have enjoyed many miles behind a Running Walker, the first 20 years was the chase of the Red Fox, but the last 40 it’s been the coyote that can get the heart beating👍

Why you ask? Because for me, it could be the team work of my hounds and me, or maybe the beauty of nature on a frosty night and then also the blanket of fresh snow. But what I really enjoy the most is the MUSIC of the chase. I feel to many miss that with wanting the “best score” on a piece of paper or the “number game” with who harvest the most fox/coyote!

It was like my 40+ years of softball, never really cared who won, as long as I played the best I could and was having fun.

Just like I like your videos, it’s the team-and the music

Merry Christmas and never take a minute behind your hound for granted 🎅🏻

Last edited by OLD TIMER on 12-08-2017 at 05:12 PM

Old Post 12-08-2017 05:10 PM
OLD TIMER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for OLD TIMER Click Here to Email OLD TIMER Find more posts by OLD TIMER Add OLD TIMER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ItsOlMander
UKC Forum Member

although i havent been at it as long as some of yall, i still love it... but did get out of it for a few years... i had 2 good dogs that i lost in the same year and it took the want to right out of me. it took me a while before i really wanted it again since those were the first dogs i had that were good.

i was probably 4 the first time i heard a dog treed, started hunting with deerdogs when i could drive and got a coondog not long after that.

- In Loving Memory of -
DEEP SPRINGS BLACK MAX
&
LEVIS SOUTHERN BLUE DOC

Old Post 12-08-2017 05:23 PM
ItsOlMander is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ItsOlMander Click here to Send ItsOlMander a Private Message Find more posts by ItsOlMander Add ItsOlMander to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

Passion! In fact, how many people do you know who hunted 2 years before treeing a coon stay with it? I know that 2 years was more than enough to permanently break my father from going into the woods at night.

I have had a dog since I was 4. First dog was a German Shepard mix. He didn't hunt. My next dog was a fox terrier, cocker spaniel/beagle mix. I picked him from the litter because he was colored like a black and tan. In fact, he look like a miniature doberman. He is the first dog I heard tree. He would tree squirrels and woodchucks. I started coon hunting (night time wood walks) in 1973. It wasn't until my father introduced me to ole Mac 2 years later did I see a dog tree a coon.

When I listen to a dog strike a feeder track drift it out and heat it up, locate, and tree it is like I am wrapped up in a blanket of excitement and contentment at the same time. It is a lot like the feeling I get when I hug my wife. It just feels right.

Aim small miss small

Old Post 12-08-2017 06:08 PM
Larry Atherton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Atherton Click here to Send Larry Atherton a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Atherton Visit Larry Atherton's homepage! Find more posts by Larry Atherton Add Larry Atherton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bowling
UKC Forum Member

Also made some of my best friends coon hunting you meet a lot of people in 50 yrs sometimes coon hunters get a bad wrap but some of the finest guys and gals I met are hunters they got each others back regardless.saw some of the meanest honery guys you ever saw give their life to Jesus some right in the woods made it worth every bad talking and laying out all night just for one more drop we made. Got a nephew I took him hunting for his first time a month ago he was hooked after first tree for real you can tell from his reaction he will be a coon hunter he has hunted every night I went since he is learning fast. He just turned 14 yrs old he is 6 ft1 all legs he will sure come in handy I got him boots and chaps and light for his birthday.

Old Post 12-08-2017 06:31 PM
bowling is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bowling Click here to Send bowling a Private Message Click Here to Email bowling Visit bowling's homepage! Find more posts by bowling Add bowling to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tony.beals
UKC Forum Member

I'm 62 have been following hounds since I was about 6, other then when on Active duty military. My Brother is 56, he only did for his short time when coon were high dollar. For me it is the dogs not what the price of coon are. It's in my blood , every time I say I'm cutting back I get more dogs I'm addicted, they probably will find me leaning up against a tree still trying to listen and enjoy the music.

I have made a lot of friends all over the midwest just from coon hunting.

MSG, US ARMY RETIRED
President of Michigan State United Coon Hunters Association

Old Post 12-08-2017 10:56 PM
tony.beals is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tony.beals Click here to Send tony.beals a Private Message Click Here to Email tony.beals Find more posts by tony.beals Add tony.beals to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SHC's Walkers
UKC Forum Member

I started out hunting beagles for 8 years then went coonhunting with my brother in law one night & that's all it took. Sold the beagles & bought 2 coonhounds. Coonhunting is a lot less stressful anyhow, lol. I was coonhunting for 6 years then it all came to a screeching halt due to a broken back. I thought I'd never be able to hunt again so I sold everything except for my light. Truck box, 1 good hound & 2 mediocre pups, kennel, boxes, even my chaps!! I was down for 11 months before going back to work full duty. A year later I tried it out with my brother in law & I missed it A LOT & I was getting around pretty good surprisingly. I bought everything new again, all different. Was back on track & hunting good again until 2012 when I crushed my foot at work. I can't win for losing!!! But this time I didn't sell everything like I did the first time, lol. I've had a longer recovery this time & still have a few problems as far as walking up & down hills because they fused my ankle together. But I bought a few hounds 7 months ago & gonna give it another shot. This time I bought a 6week old pup & an 8 month old that's raw. I plan on having the older one going good by the time the pup is old enough to start. That the plan anyway, lol.

Old Post 12-10-2017 07:29 AM
SHC's Walkers is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SHC's Walkers Click here to Send SHC's Walkers a Private Message Find more posts by SHC's Walkers Add SHC's Walkers to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

SHC Walkers

Wish you the best, it takes a tough man to do what you have done! Dave

Old Post 12-10-2017 06:05 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ridgerunner1
UKC Forum Member

Re: Hobo,

quote:
Originally posted by OLD TIMER
Had my first dog, a Cocker, 67 Year’s ago. Went to my first tree 62 Year’s ago and this fall was my 61st year enjoying “the chase” with my own hounds! Within those 61 years I have had Blueticks, Treeing Walkers, Black and Tans, English and Redbones and mixes of those breeds. Also nothing better then a good chase of a rabbit ahead of a nice pack of Beagles which I have been lucky to feed. And this winter will be the 60th year I have enjoyed many miles behind a Running Walker, the first 20 years was the chase of the Red Fox, but the last 40 it’s been the coyote that can get the heart beating👍

Why you ask? Because for me, it could be the team work of my hounds and me, or maybe the beauty of nature on a frosty night and then also the blanket of fresh snow. But what I really enjoy the most is the MUSIC of the chase. I feel to many miss that with wanting the “best score” on a piece of paper or the “number game” with who harvest the most fox/coyote!

It was like my 40+ years of softball, never really cared who won, as long as I played the best I could and was having fun.

Just like I like your videos, it’s the team-and the music

Merry Christmas and never take a minute behind your hound for granted 🎅🏻

Awesome post..I've more or less quit coonhunting..love listening to a nice pack of bear hounds and the teamwork them dogs have to have..I still coonhunt a nite or 2 a week..but it don't get my heart pounding like a good pack of dogs working as 1 and as they are bred to do hunt as a pack..

Old Post 12-11-2017 12:20 AM
ridgerunner1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ridgerunner1 Click here to Send ridgerunner1 a Private Message Click Here to Email ridgerunner1 Find more posts by ridgerunner1 Add ridgerunner1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by joey

I started hunting around 10. Just me and a buddy. A old blue tick without a collar come walking across the yard one day and we caught it and hunted every night we could there from the house. We had never met a coon hunter and didn't have a clue what we were doing. We were afraid that if we cut the dog loose we would loose it. So we kept him on a 10 foot horse lead. He ran deer and armadillo every night. He made two trees in that year. One was a house cat and the other was a big oak. We were so beat up from leading that dog through the woods it was pitiful. We decided we were going to cut him loose and just follow him. He struck a deer and we never seen him again.

That really is a great story!

Old Post 12-11-2017 01:35 AM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
high ridge
UKC Forum Member

Started when I was 5. Been chasing dogs 36 years. I couldn’t imagine not having a hound and couldn’t imagine not hunting 3-4 nights a week. Have made great friends and blowed a ton of money. Nothing beats being out at night and hearing that hound roll up treed. Like Herman I remember that road to Lexington well. I used to ride in back of truck between dog box and cab and cover up just to get to go. It’s a disease lol

Old Post 12-11-2017 02:56 AM
high ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for high ridge Click here to Send high ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email high ridge Find more posts by high ridge Add high ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote