UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Curs and Feists > Mtn Cur Color
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
tn russ
UKC Forum Member

Ok , so jackson throws white pups. Now where does the jack Russell actions come from? Hmmmm

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-24-2013 10:13 PM
tn russ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tn russ Click here to Send tn russ a Private Message Click Here to Email tn russ Find more posts by tn russ Add tn russ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
amazingcursouth
UKC Forum Member

I wouldn't ever entertain of registering a dog under false papers. I hunt Treeing curs and they are more cur than they are hound. I look back at some of the dogs in my females pedigree and there is some streak, jesse james, and a pistol pete dog. But yes there is Rat Attack and X jr as well. So knowing that and liking that about my dogs they will be Treeing Curs as they were meant to be.

Mossy Pond Modacious (MO)
Mossy Pond Amazing Gracie

Old Post 07-24-2013 10:28 PM
amazingcursouth is offline Click Here to See the Profile for amazingcursouth Click here to Send amazingcursouth a Private Message Find more posts by amazingcursouth Add amazingcursouth to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
McSquizzie
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by tn russ
Ok , so jackson throws white pups. Now where does the jack Russell actions come from? Hmmmm

If u have some facts, would love to hear them....otherwise it's all rumors and hearsay.

Old Post 07-24-2013 10:43 PM
McSquizzie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for McSquizzie Click here to Send McSquizzie a Private Message Find more posts by McSquizzie Add McSquizzie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TURBO DOG
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Al Medcalf
Turbo, Hidden genes may pop up on occasion. With Mt. Jackson, it ain't occasionally, it is often.

I looked at Mt Jackson's ped of SDC!

I am not making accusations, but from the ped is looks like a possible conflict of genetics and papers!

Probably not, but if so, shame on somebody!!

http://treeprokennels.webs.com/

"TREE DOGS ARE BORN NOT MADE"

Old Post 07-24-2013 11:26 PM
TURBO DOG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TURBO DOG Click here to Send TURBO DOG a Private Message Click Here to Email TURBO DOG Visit TURBO DOG's homepage! Find more posts by TURBO DOG Add TURBO DOG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tn russ
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by McSquizzie
If u have some facts, would love to hear them....otherwise it's all rumors and hearsay.

No facts , i owned one ( heavy jackson bred) and that was fact enough for me. Always kinda wondered about the name

Old Post 07-25-2013 12:27 AM
tn russ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tn russ Click here to Send tn russ a Private Message Click Here to Email tn russ Find more posts by tn russ Add tn russ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Al Medcalf
UKC Forum Member

quote:

Rumors and hearsay don't produce a high number of off colored pups.

Old Post 07-25-2013 01:21 AM
Al Medcalf is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Al Medcalf Click here to Send Al Medcalf a Private Message Click Here to Email Al Medcalf Find more posts by Al Medcalf Add Al Medcalf to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nccatfisher
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Al Medcalf
Rumors and hearsay don't produce a high number of off colored pups.
LOL

https://sites.google.com/site/riverroadkennel/

Old Post 07-25-2013 01:49 AM
nccatfisher is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nccatfisher Click here to Send nccatfisher a Private Message Click Here to Email nccatfisher Visit nccatfisher's homepage! Find more posts by nccatfisher Add nccatfisher to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cornboy
UKC Forum Member

I thought Jackson looked like a typical streak bred dog . Was he something different ?

Old Post 07-25-2013 01:52 AM
cornboy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cornboy Click here to Send cornboy a Private Message Click Here to Email cornboy Find more posts by cornboy Add cornboy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
McSquizzie
UKC Forum Member

it would be much easier to hide plott blood in these dogs....especially those that are 50+ lbs and black/brindle. But streak and Jackson don't need anyone to stand for them, their reproduction record stands all by itself.

Old Post 07-25-2013 02:20 AM
McSquizzie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for McSquizzie Click here to Send McSquizzie a Private Message Find more posts by McSquizzie Add McSquizzie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Al Medcalf
UKC Forum Member

quote:
it would be much easier to hide plott blood in these dogs....especially those that are 50+ lbs and black/brindle. But streak and Jackson don't need anyone to stand for them, their reproduction record stands all by itself.

Sure, I've said for years that if you are going to add something, Plott is the safest way to go. About anything else will show up down the line and bite you in the butt.

We aren't talking about reproduction records though....This thread is about off colored pups!

Old Post 07-25-2013 02:28 AM
Al Medcalf is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Al Medcalf Click here to Send Al Medcalf a Private Message Click Here to Email Al Medcalf Find more posts by Al Medcalf Add Al Medcalf to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nccatfisher
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Yep it does, especially Jackson, just about every litter he was a sire of there were pups with too much white to be registered. And that trait has carried on for generations, makes you pretty muck know where there is smoke there is fire.

Black and brindle both are traditional OMCBA colors within the breed standards, white is not and one of the few standards that they still enforce to this day. Wonder why that is?

Old Post 07-25-2013 02:42 AM
nccatfisher is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nccatfisher Click here to Send nccatfisher a Private Message Click Here to Email nccatfisher Visit nccatfisher's homepage! Find more posts by nccatfisher Add nccatfisher to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
McSquizzie
UKC Forum Member

All I will say is I don't know, and u don't know, so speculation is all that's left. No one has DNA figured out, so speculate away.....

Old Post 07-25-2013 03:09 AM
luv2hunt08
UKC Forum Member

DNA is DEFINITELY figured out sir. The leadership of the OMCBA refuse to institute its use. Why would you suppose that is?
Dean Wright

Old Post 07-25-2013 03:32 AM
luv2hunt08 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for luv2hunt08 Click here to Send luv2hunt08 a Private Message Click Here to Email luv2hunt08 Find more posts by luv2hunt08 Add luv2hunt08 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nccatfisher
UKC Forum Member

Jackson supposedly was DNA'd he hunted in PKC, of course with his sire and dame not it didn't do much good.

Old Post 07-25-2013 03:44 AM
Al Medcalf
UKC Forum Member

Amen! Dean

Yep Tim, you can prove if a pup belongs to him but you can't prove who his Maw and Paw are

Old Post 07-25-2013 04:07 AM
McSquizzie
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by luv2hunt08
DNA is DEFINITELY figured out sir.
Dean Wright

Have u ever had a dog DNA,d to see what it's ancestry was? If so, you would know what I was referring to. I think there would be many dogs papers be worthless that have nothing to do with streak than most think if DNA were done on all omcba.

Old Post 07-25-2013 04:07 AM
Lingarcur
UKC Forum Member

Hey guys i appriciate all the replys but like someone said earlier i was just curious how many people had seen odd color pups like this i didn't mean for this to become a debate over the purity status of certain dogs

Old Post 07-25-2013 04:16 AM
Lingarcur is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lingarcur Click here to Send Lingarcur a Private Message Click Here to Email Lingarcur Find more posts by Lingarcur Add Lingarcur to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nccatfisher
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Have u ever had a dog DNA,d to see what it's ancestry was? If so, you would know what I was referring to. I think there would be many dogs papers be worthless that have nothing to do with streak than most think if DNA were done on all omcba.
I would love to see these "Streak" bred pups DNA'd they would blow up the meter. LOL

http://www.sqdog.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=136594

Now tell me about all the dog with worthless papers that have nothing to do with Streak. There are papers hung on all dogs, but as popular as Streak was for years you can bet your butt there was plenty hung with his name that wasn't right.

Old Post 07-25-2013 04:22 AM
Al Medcalf
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by nccatfisher
I would love to see these "Streak" bred pups DNA'd they would blow up the meter. LOL

http://www.sqdog.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=136594

Now tell me about all the dog with worthless papers that have nothing to do with Streak. There are papers hung on all dogs, but as popular as Streak was for years you can bet your butt there was plenty hung with his name that wasn't right.

I believe those are Finley River bred.

Old Post 07-25-2013 04:40 AM
skeets
UKC Forum Member

if there streak bred they just might have a little tab of finely river in em.

Old Post 07-25-2013 08:10 AM
skeets is offline Click Here to See the Profile for skeets Click here to Send skeets a Private Message Click Here to Email skeets Find more posts by skeets Add skeets to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mdmorrison
UKC Forum Member

Duh, What?!?

"No one has DNA figured out, so speculate away....."

That kinda thinking is largely responsible for why NONE of us, regardless of what STRAIN of OMC we hunt, can look upon our dog's papers with reasonable certainty that they are correct. OMCBA breeding and pup registration operates on the "Honor System," i.e., it is entirely dependent upon the honesty of the breeder and his submission of information to our Registrar.

For years now I've told anybody that woud listen, including my fellow BOD members, that I have NO interest in going back and "digging up old bones," so-to-speak by using DNA to undo years of registration. Rather, what I would have liked to have seen, but have since given up on, is a requirement that breeding pairs be DNA profiled in order to register any pups out of them. The only time a pup out of such cross need be DNA'd would be if it is later bred. It wouldn't cut out all dishonesty and false papering, but it'd be a great help, with DNA profiles available at a central processing center of the OMCBA's choosing for verification if and when a question arose.

That's my 2 cents, spend it as you see fit, but don't tell me and others that DNA is some grand mystery or passing fad, amounting to little more than speculation........

Mark.

Old Post 07-25-2013 01:38 PM
mdmorrison is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mdmorrison Click here to Send mdmorrison a Private Message Click Here to Email mdmorrison Visit mdmorrison's homepage! Find more posts by mdmorrison Add mdmorrison to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
McSquizzie
UKC Forum Member

Re: Duh, What?!?

quote:
Originally posted by mdmorrison

That kinda thinking is largely responsible for why NONE of us, regardless of what STRAIN of OMC we hunt, can look upon our dog's papers with reasonable certainty that they are correct. OMCBA breeding and pup registration operates on the "Honor System," i.e., it is entirely dependent upon the honesty of the breeder and his submission of information to our Registrar.

For years now I've told anybody that woud listen, including my fellow BOD members, that I have NO interest in going back and "digging up old bones," so-to-speak by using DNA to undo years of registration. Rather, what I would have liked to have seen, but have since given up on, is a requirement that breeding pairs be DNA profiled in order to register any pups out of them. The only time a pup out of such cross need be DNA'd would be if it is later bred. It wouldn't cut out all dishonesty and false papering, but it'd be a great help, with DNA profiles available at a central processing center of the OMCBA's choosing for verification if and when a question arose.

That's my 2 cents, spend it as you see fit, but don't tell me and others that DNA is some grand mystery or passing fad, amounting to little more than speculation........

Mark.

As I so clearly stated above, I was referring to having a dog DNAd to see what his ancestry was. A good friend has DNA pulled on his dual grand blue tick, I don't remember the reason. Anyway, they had been hunting and breeding this line of hounds since the 70's. when the results came back, they said his blue tick was 75% Irish setter, some part bull terrier and part some little lap dog, I don't remember exactly. My point is, no one DOES have DNA all figured out, or there wouldn't be any culls, every litter would be world quality, etc....I am all for having to DNA a dog, to prove parentage, and provide a pic of said dog at the time to go on the paper with DNA, before u can register any pups from it.
1. It would stop a lot of crosses made from so/so dogs.
2. Would eliminate a lot of the paper swapping.

Last edited by McSquizzie on 07-25-2013 at 02:14 PM

Old Post 07-25-2013 02:10 PM
TURBO DOG
UKC Forum Member

Re: Duh, What?!?

quote:

Mark.

Good post Mark! and I agree with your take on DNA profiling! However, the past breeding practices of some may lend to the 'death ear' or,if you will, 'pink elephant' in the room that some folks can't see or simply ignore. This practice of 'sweeping under the rug' of certain misbreedings may obscure the parantage but it can't hide in the genes of the offspring for ever as in the Mtn Jackson case from what I am reading.

I also agree that "digging up ole bones" would be an effort in frutility as our founders/old timers did not even have papers on dogs before breed associations, except for maybe personal hand written records, rather bred dogs that got the JOB done usually from local flavor thus the various and different lines of our so called cur dogs.

What is in our dogs is not the point as for as I am concerned!! It is the 'false papering' for whatever reason that concerns me as well as many other folks. But, again, the 'pink elephant' goes un-noticed or ignored.

From my humble beginnings with these tree dogs of various breeds, it was kind of a joke between a few friends. We would say that, "the only way to know what our pups are out of is to make the breeding ourselves and keep the female until pups are born and that is basically what we did for over 20 years.

One of the all time great bird dog men recently got barred for life because the breed assoc. started to DNA all champions. His great Ch Bird Dog was hard to beat and everyone wanted to breed to him. However, the owner knew that this dog was not a great producer so he bred him to his other unknow stud dog that was not half the dog in the field but was a great producer and put the Ch papered dog as the sire of pups.

The DNA caught this and now the owner is barred for life.

It is a shame and the fellow is a great dog man but I am glad to see an organization take a stand and put a stop to the false papering or at least make a sincere effort with DNA profiling.

I am not sure of what is left of the original foundation stock of dogs in most any cur/fiest breed specific organization but I am always happy to see certain groups of folks trying to perserve what they have with good honest dogmanship and honest breeding practices.

We still have a lot of great dogs to enjoy but hopefully the DNA profiling will not be left on the back burner and we can some day spell cur with a capital "C"!

Mark, this thing is burning a hole in my back pocket so here is an 'old Bone' to gnaw on!!!(Ha!)

Note: and by the way the ring neck dogs are 'incomplete dominant for the 'pieball' gene so it goes back a few years!

This old dogs genes were plagiarized by many that knew of his existance.

Last edited by TURBO DOG on 07-25-2013 at 08:38 PM

Old Post 07-25-2013 08:27 PM
TURBO DOG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TURBO DOG Click here to Send TURBO DOG a Private Message Click Here to Email TURBO DOG Visit TURBO DOG's homepage! Find more posts by TURBO DOG Add TURBO DOG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mdmorrison
UKC Forum Member

As long as you've been

..... holding that Old Photo in your wallet and sliding it in and out over the years, I've gotta assume you've got an asbestos billfold!

LOL!

Mark.

Old Post 07-25-2013 08:47 PM
mdmorrison is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mdmorrison Click here to Send mdmorrison a Private Message Click Here to Email mdmorrison Visit mdmorrison's homepage! Find more posts by mdmorrison Add mdmorrison to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TURBO DOG
UKC Forum Member

Re: As long as you've been

quote:
..... holding that Old Photo in your wallet and sliding it in and out over the years, I've gotta assume you've got an asbestos billfold!

LOL!

Mark.

Well actually, I carry it in a 'bucket' now! as in 'photo'!!

Old Post 07-25-2013 08:52 PM