UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > How were they trained
Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

All the conversation and not hardly 1 answer to the original question. Maybe none.

How about no 2 big winners are ever trained the same way.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-19-2020 02:11 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Drummerblue2
UKC Forum Member

Yawn

I need to get me another cup of coffee

Old Post 12-19-2020 04:26 PM
Drummerblue2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Drummerblue2 Click here to Send Drummerblue2 a Private Message Find more posts by Drummerblue2 Add Drummerblue2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by pamjohnson
All the conversation and not hardly 1 answer to the original question. Maybe none.

How about no 2 big winners are ever trained the same way.

Thanks I wanted to say that. Appreciate all the opinions but they don't really answer the question.

Old Post 12-19-2020 05:52 PM
Preacher Tom is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wart
UKC Forum Member

Winners

Very few big winners were raised and trained by the men that won with them because those top end. Dogs are hard to find this does not answer your question either but. Very few hunters around that can answer it

Old Post 12-19-2020 05:59 PM
wart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wart Click here to Send wart a Private Message Find more posts by wart Add wart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
high ridge
UKC Forum Member

A few I trained or helped train
GrNt PK$ Gold Ch final 4 truck hunt finalist SS AKC reserve national. He was trained by simply carrying him hunting. He was born. No cage coons no hang ups
GrNt silver Ch AKC National ch multiple pro hunt finalsbells Boyd creek pride. One cage coon then had to keep him bumped with collar on off game
GrNt pk$ ch top 16 autumn oaks multiple semi of pro hunts. One cage coon one hang up after that hunt her alone
GrNt pkc ch pro hunt finalist high scoring redbone at American days twice national days twice winter classic once Wigland Creek Royal Flush. Just took her hunting and shot a coon and rest was history
GrNt pkc ch High Hopes hootie SS finalist carried him hunting and shot out a coon rest was history
Now 15 years plus after the last of the above I got ntch silver ch it’s Dixie’s turn. No hang ups no cage coon just carried her hunting and shot a coon.

So back to my original thought. Great ones are born common are trained.

I have wasted lots of steps on worthless junk also thinking I could train them. What I learned was the only ones I could train was the ones smart enough to want to learn

It’s a numbers game. You got to go threw a bunch of them. You can’t get attached to them or you won’t be able to cull
Life is too short to hunt a sorry dog
Life is even shorter if you lie to yourself about what you packing

Last edited by high ridge on 12-19-2020 at 06:12 PM

Old Post 12-19-2020 06:09 PM
high ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for high ridge Click here to Send high ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email high ridge Find more posts by high ridge Add high ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

Each dog is different . If the human can't connect w/ the dog it's the humans fault...
If the human connects w/ the dog it's still the humans doing.
A dog doesn't make a man. The "DOGMAN" makes the dog .
It's a connection/ an understanding betwix the two..to get the most out of an elite hound.
To set a dog before a Man is low IQ. IMO.
There's no cookie cutter way, to train an elite hound.
This I can say,for sure, it takes time or $.
Basic training of a coon treer is a no brainier....
Takeing a hound to the nxt. level(s) separates "dogmen"....

Old Post 12-19-2020 06:27 PM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
high ridge
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Dogwhisper
Each dog is different . If the human can't connect w/ the dog it's the humans fault...
If the human connects w/ the dog it's still the humans doing.
A dog doesn't make a man. The "DOGMAN" makes the dog .
It's a connection/ an understanding betwix the two..to get the most out of an elite hound.
To set a dog before a Man is low IQ. IMO.
There's no cookie cutter way, to train an elite hound.
This I can say,for sure, it takes time or $.
Basic training of a coon treer is a no brainier....
Takeing a hound to the nxt. level(s) separates "dogmen"....

You are most correct. As I once saw a meme, there are men with dogs and there are dog men.

Very few dog men anymore. They have either passed on or quit. Very few in today’s time no what it is to strap a rifle on their back, lace up their boots, and go set on a log.
Most do not know anything more than what they read or hear someone talk about.
They push buttons instead of walking in on that pup to see the predicament it’s in they push buttons because in their mind they want a pup or dog to do one thing but the area the animal is in will not allow it.
They push buttons to fix 14 flaws in one night just to confuse the dog at every corner.
I am no dog man. I have dogs but I have been blessed to know many dog men and I do try to mimic their actions instead of making up my own. I never believed in reinventing the wheel

Old Post 12-19-2020 06:50 PM
high ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for high ridge Click here to Send high ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email high ridge Find more posts by high ridge Add high ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

It sounds like u were with me last nite.lol

Yea sitting on a log waiting on the young dog to learn it's craft...mind u I ain't teaching that dog nutting, it's learning on it's own....I'm just giving it an opportunity and being patience .

Then there's the waiting for the rifraf "xcusec my terminology " to go home...so one can go hunting.....usually I roll out of bed midnite by that time the ground is frosted this time of year, and hit it till the deer hunters start sturring........
That time of hunting one can really see "great dog" work...

Old Post 12-19-2020 07:17 PM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wart
UKC Forum Member

Winners

It looks like dogwhisperer and highridge have been around the block a few times

Old Post 12-19-2020 07:30 PM
wart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wart Click here to Send wart a Private Message Find more posts by wart Add wart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by high ridge
[B]A few I trained or helped train
GrNt PK$ Gold Ch final 4 truck hunt finalist SS AKC reserve national. He was trained by simply carrying him hunting. He was born. No cage coons no hang ups
GrNt silver Ch AKC National ch multiple pro hunt finalsbells Boyd creek pride. One cage coon then had to keep him bumped with collar on off game
GrNt pk$ ch top 16 autumn oaks multiple semi of pro hunts. One cage coon one hang up after that hunt her alone
GrNt pkc ch pro hunt finalist high scoring redbone at American days twice national days twice winter classic once Wigland Creek Royal Flush. Just took her hunting and shot a coon and rest was history
GrNt pkc ch High Hopes hootie SS finalist carried him hunting and shot out a coon rest was history
Now 15 years plus after the last of the above I got ntch silver ch it’s Dixie’s turn. No hang ups no cage coon just carried her hunting and shot a coon.

Highridge now that is answering the question I asked. If starting them by themselves with no or little cage coon was the way the best dogs were started and at least in the cases you mentioned it certainly was. It would be very helpful to know if this is true with the majority.

Old Post 12-19-2020 08:16 PM
Preacher Tom is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

High ridge

When you say you just carried them to the woods. Can I ask if you carried them to the woods with another dog some or all alone all the time?

Old Post 12-20-2020 12:46 AM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Re: Some guys can get a dog to do this and other will never be able to do it.. good fact!

quote:
Originally posted by edwardfasteddy

Some guys can get a dog to do this and others will never be able to do it.. good fact!

FastEddy, I never have seen a John Wick book and never will...I said why on here and my post was deleted...so I wont say why...

This is a very good looking walker...I like everything about him...he has that aura I talk about...that above it all attitude that some of the great dogs have and so do the puppies that grow up to be like this hound...these dogs don't need any help and they usually strike first...they also know how hard they need to hunt to beat the competition...tell me if If I'm right or wrong about this hound...

Old Post 12-20-2020 01:00 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

Wow if you can tell all that by looking at a picture I need to send you pics of mine lol might save me from wasting a year of my time.

Old Post 12-20-2020 02:09 AM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
high ridge
UKC Forum Member

Re: High ridge

quote:
Originally posted by pamjohnson
When you say you just carried them to the woods. Can I ask if you carried them to the woods with another dog some or all alone all the time?

I carried them to woods with older dogs to get them a coon down.
The best ones I have had have always been the ones that where what I consider to be at the wrong place at the wrong time when I had a coon treed. Seemed like they always were off somewhere else.

When a pup gets to running anything it’s time to take them by theirselves. Not treeing just running.
I personally like to go to big bottoms or big woods and just let them run any and everything. When they get tired they will start treeing if it’s in them. Some faster than others but generally when they start getting tired they start looking up.

I used to give a pup every coon it treed July or January. Then a big time bird dog man asked me why. After a long conversation I decided I gave the pup the coon more for me than it. Now, I rarely shoot a coon to any of them in my general hunting spot. I go on a good kill hunt each year but around house they may get one every two months and I think my dogs are more accurate today than when I slaughtered coons. When they tree that first one it is natural, they haven’t tasted a coon so I just take them and tree them.

I think to be a top dog that dog has to be a predator. A predator of coons. They got to want to catch them to have it on their minds. Once I see that dog is a predator of coon it is time to hunt it with dogs.

Last edited by high ridge on 12-20-2020 at 02:22 AM

Old Post 12-20-2020 02:12 AM
Cotton 1927
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by high ridge
You are most correct. As I once saw a meme, there are men with dogs and there are dog men.

Very few dog men anymore. They have either passed on or quit. Very few in today’s time no what it is to strap a rifle on their back, lace up their boots, and go set on a log.
Most do not know anything more than what they read or hear someone talk about.
They push buttons instead of walking in on that pup to see the predicament it’s in they push buttons because in their mind they want a pup or dog to do one thing but the area the animal is in will not allow it.
They push buttons to fix 14 flaws in one night just to confuse the dog at every corner.
I am no dog man. I have dogs but I have been blessed to know many dog men and I do try to mimic their actions instead of making up my own. I never believed in reinventing the wheel

you are absolutely spot on! The owner is the dogs worst enemy not his pedigree....Cotton

Old Post 12-20-2020 02:20 AM
Cotton 1927 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cotton 1927 Click here to Send Cotton 1927 a Private Message Click Here to Email Cotton 1927 Find more posts by Cotton 1927 Add Cotton 1927 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
high ridge
UKC Forum Member

When I start hunting a dog with other dogs it’s not to make them independent or even to make them be quicker or better than the ones I take them with.

I take them with dogs to train or help them understand to tree coon with the screwing up pressure of the dogs around it.

Most dogs today tree a coon alone but when you drop them with 3-4 others they want to join in the party.
I try to keep their mind off the party.

When they consistently can tree coons while others running junk, chasing them all over the woods, leaving trees, hitting up on river banks, treeing in holes and brush piles then I take them back to themselves for awhile.

After that I feel I got a dog to go to town with.

Most get a dog to tree coons but they don’t get the dog where the pressures of the others don’t influence them
To me that is the greatest task. I don’t want to say well if that dog hadn’t done that mine wouldn’t have. I want mine to have its own mind and not be influenced negatively by the lot.
It don’t matter if I score a 1000 points if I can’t keep them and training them to keep the points is the hardest part.

ALL OF ABOVE IS MY OPINION ONLY AND THAT AND $1 WILL BY YOU A CUP OF COFFEE. IN NO WAY AM I SAYING MY METHODS ARE CORRECT. THEY JUST WORK FOR ME. THERE ARE WAY BETTER DOG TRAINERS OUT THERE THAN I.

Last edited by high ridge on 12-20-2020 at 02:24 AM

Old Post 12-20-2020 02:20 AM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by high ridge
When I start hunting a dog with other dogs it’s not to make them independent or even to make them be quicker or better than the ones I take them with.

I take them with dogs to train or help them understand to tree coon with the screwing up pressure of the dogs around it.

Most dogs today tree a coon alone but when you drop them with 3-4 others they want to join in the party.
I try to keep their mind off the party.

When they consistently can tree coons while others running junk, chasing them all over the woods, leaving trees, hitting up on river banks, treeing in holes and brush piles then I take them back to themselves for awhile.

After that I feel I got a dog to go to town with.

Most get a dog to tree coons but they don’t get the dog where the pressures of the others don’t influence them
To me that is the greatest task. I don’t want to say well if that dog hadn’t done

that mine wouldn’t have. I want mine to have its own mind and not be influenced

negatively by the lot.

Billy, I like your way of thinking, when you get one the way you describe you have both a winner and a pleasure dog. Dave
It don’t matter if I score a 1000 points if I can’t keep them and training them to keep the points is the hardest part.

ALL OF ABOVE IS MY OPINION ONLY AND THAT AND $1 WILL BY YOU A CUP OF COFFEE. IN NO WAY AM I SAYING MY METHODS ARE CORRECT. THEY JUST WORK FOR ME. THERE ARE WAY BETTER DOG TRAINERS OUT THERE THAN I.

Old Post 12-20-2020 02:59 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

High ridge

Thanks for the answers.
It's nice to hear from your experience.

Old Post 12-20-2020 05:58 PM
River Birch Run
UKC Forum Member

Whats your analysis on this guy rueben?

Old Post 12-21-2020 03:24 PM
River Birch Run is offline Click Here to See the Profile for River Birch Run Click here to Send River Birch Run a Private Message Find more posts by River Birch Run Add River Birch Run to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

that's a good looking pup...

Old Post 12-21-2020 04:20 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
arkansas cooner
UKC Forum Member

Re: Some guys can get a dog to do this and other will never be able to do it.. good fact!

quote:

Some guys can get a dog to do this and others will never be able to do it.. good fact!

No offense but getting a dog to freeze on plywood don’t really impress me any

Old Post 12-27-2020 03:50 AM
arkansas cooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for arkansas cooner Click here to Send arkansas cooner a Private Message Click Here to Email arkansas cooner Find more posts by arkansas cooner Add arkansas cooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
arkansas cooner
UKC Forum Member

quote:

No offense but getting a dog to freeze on plywood don’t really impress me any

Old Post 12-27-2020 03:50 AM
arkansas cooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for arkansas cooner Click here to Send arkansas cooner a Private Message Click Here to Email arkansas cooner Find more posts by arkansas cooner Add arkansas cooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ov_blues
UKC Forum Member

Used to be that people would say young dogs needed to be started with an old slow pop trainer. My Dad told me that if a young dog wasn’t putting it on the old slow pup trainer in just a few hunts then you probably didn’t have anything that was going to turn out to be special. I always started dogs with good dogs and found out the special ones would show there abilities real quick and those were the ones that I concentrated on. I just needed to see the “special” in them and then I could work the kinks out of them. One of my favorites was when I hunted with a guy one year and he told me I needed to shoot a dog I was hunting but when I hunted the dog with the same guy the following year he wanted to know where I had got such a nice hound at. Took me a little while to convince him that was the same dog he told me needed shot the previous year.

Old Post 12-27-2020 06:13 AM
ov_blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ov_blues Click here to Send ov_blues a Private Message Click Here to Email ov_blues Find more posts by ov_blues Add ov_blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
L. Poe
UKC Forum Member

Some hounds aren’t hunted hard enough to give them the experience to develop but very few dogs of any breed have the tools to become exceptional regardless of how they’re hunted

Mr Cannon nailed it as usual. It takes exceptional genetics, as well as extraordinary effort. Secretariat would have never won a single race without both his breeding, and time on the track training.

I would also add that I've never in my lifetime trained 2 dogs exactly alike. Training was tailored to each one, regardless of the job I was training it to preform. That being said the one common part of the training was hunting them exclusively alone for long periods of time.

LOOSER came to me wild and unruly. As apt to go 5 miles to see what was 5 miles away, as he was to tree right beside the truck. I put him in places where he HAD to go deep to even find a track for months straight, then would drop him on top of one when he was worn down. It worked. His sister, crank/battle cry was the most bidable hound I ever trained. All she ever needed was to understand what you wanted. I never once had to correct that dog for the same mistake twice. 2 totally different hounds from the exact same cross.

birthplace of UKC WORLD SHOW CHAMPION CINDERELLA

Old Post 01-05-2021 05:17 AM
L. Poe is offline Click Here to See the Profile for L. Poe Click here to Send L. Poe a Private Message Click Here to Email L. Poe Find more posts by L. Poe Add L. Poe to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
L. Poe
UKC Forum Member

Some hounds aren’t hunted hard enough to give them the experience to develop but very few dogs of any breed have the tools to become exceptional regardless of how they’re hunted

Mr Cannon nailed it as usual. It takes exceptional genetics, as well as extraordinary effort. Secretariat would have never won a single race without both his breeding, and time on the track training.

I would also add that I've never in my lifetime trained 2 dogs exactly alike. Training was tailored to each one, regardless of the job I was training it to preform. That being said the one common part of the training was hunting them exclusively alone for long periods of time.

LOOSER came to me wild and unruly. As apt to go 5 miles to see what was 5 miles away, as he was to tree right beside the truck. I put him in places where he HAD to go deep to even find a track for months straight, then would drop him on top of one when he was worn down. It worked. His sister, crank/battle cry was the most bidable hound I ever trained. All she ever needed was to understand what you wanted. I never once had to correct that dog for the same mistake twice. 2 totally different hounds from the exact same cross.

birthplace of UKC WORLD SHOW CHAMPION CINDERELLA

Old Post 01-05-2021 05:18 AM
L. Poe is offline Click Here to See the Profile for L. Poe Click here to Send L. Poe a Private Message Click Here to Email L. Poe Find more posts by L. Poe Add L. Poe to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote