UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Breeds > Treeing Walkers > "Finley River" questions.
Pages (19): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Oak Ridge
UKC Forum Member

She's not pretty......my question is would you consider her Finley River breeding or is she too "watered down"? Also, can anyone fill in the question marks for me?

*********************GR NT Rock River Sacket
************GR NT Rock River Sacket JR
*********************GR NT Skean's Dolly (Dahoney's Boone)
*****GR NT Rat Attack
**********************GR NT High Country Night Heat (Bozo)
************GR NT Night Heat Dixie
**********************GR NT Lone Pine Patches

Nt Ch Powder (3 wins to grand)

**************************GR NT Logan's Wild Clover (Bozo)
*******************GR NT Logan's Wild Clover
*************************GR NT Logan's Wild Julie (F.R. DAN)
***********GR NT Toney's Wild Clover
**************************GR NT River Bend Flag
*******************GR NT Logan's Wild Jeanie
*************************GR NT Logan's Wild Julie (F.R. Dan)
*****NT Ch Layburger's Late Night Cindy
**************************** ???????????????????
*************GR Nite Loomis Finley River Mike
***************************** ???????????????????
************************** ??????????????
*************Cox' Finley River Patti
*************************** ?????????

Last edited by Oak Ridge on 12-16-2003 at 06:57 PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-16-2003 06:32 PM
Oak Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Oak Ridge Click here to Send Oak Ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email Oak Ridge Find more posts by Oak Ridge Add Oak Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
richtaber
UKC Forum Member

Finley River dogs

The Finley River dogs don't seem to be as common as they once were. I do remember back in the early seventies, one of the more famous ones was Finley River Chief, because I hunted with offspring of him in Connecticut when I was a kid. I believe John J. Monroe owned him at the time. Chief in that era was like Nailor, Sackett Jr., Harry, and other awesome dogs of this era.

Old Post 12-16-2003 07:54 PM
richtaber is offline Click Here to See the Profile for richtaber Click here to Send richtaber a Private Message Click Here to Email richtaber Find more posts by richtaber Add richtaber to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Driveshaft
UKC Forum Member

ALL OF MY DOGS GO BACK FINLEY RIVER

I HAVE FIVE GENERATIONS OF THESE DOGS HERE. THEY ALL GO BACK TO FINLEY RIVER DAN AND SPRING CREEK ROCK WITH A WHOLE LOT OF RIVER BEND FLAG TOSSED IN THERE FOR GOOD MEASURE. THESE OLD SPOTTED DOGS WILL STILL GET IT DONE!!!

Old Post 12-16-2003 08:09 PM
Driveshaft is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Driveshaft Click here to Send Driveshaft a Private Message Click Here to Email Driveshaft Find more posts by Driveshaft Add Driveshaft to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Christy
UKC Forum Member

Location: Sylva, North Carolina (the far Western Tip of the State)

Finley River bred?

Can any of you tell me if the bottom side of Molly's pedigree goes back to Finley River?

I have no clue, and I hope someone on here will know!!!

*GRCH NTCH'PR'RB'S Rock River Sid-R.I.P.

*CH'PR'Jet's Tember Shakin Sadie (UKC 2ND)

*Banjo

Independent Consultant for Jamberry Nails!! Check them out!!

Quincy-828-269-8768
OR Christy-828-269-4678---If we dont answer, please leave a message!!!

EVERYTHING happens for a reason.

Old Post 12-16-2003 08:54 PM
Christy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Christy Click here to Send Christy a Private Message Click Here to Email Christy Visit Christy's homepage! Find more posts by Christy Add Christy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PWC
UKC Forum Member

I'm know walker man, but there was an awesome write up in one of the '98 CB's about Mr. Shetler: the man who bred, trained, and hunted, Shetler's Sonny Boy. (sire of F.R. Chief---I think)He's the one that famous Finely River nose goes back too. (he was part bluetick, redbone, and maybe some b&t too if my memory of the article serves me right). Anyway...a good article on the history of the Walker breed, and how some of those early breeders built a powerhouse breed out of basically a bunch of crossbred hounds.

Seems like it was the April mag (B&T edition)

Old Post 12-16-2003 09:08 PM
PWC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for PWC Click here to Send PWC a Private Message Click Here to Email PWC Find more posts by PWC Add PWC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wkfii
UKC Forum Member

Hanson

Cody: Glad to see you are now a member of this board.

Bill Fulmer

Old Post 12-16-2003 10:33 PM
wkfii is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wkfii Click here to Send wkfii a Private Message Click Here to Email wkfii Find more posts by wkfii Add wkfii to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Coonhusker
UKC Forum Member

Loomis's Finley River Mike

I presume that this is one of Ed Loomis's dogs??? Dont know just a guess.

Old Post 12-17-2003 12:13 AM
Coonhusker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Coonhusker Click here to Send Coonhusker a Private Message Click Here to Email Coonhusker Find more posts by Coonhusker Add Coonhusker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jackbob42
UKC Forum Member

Re: Did some diggin

quote:
Originally posted by jackbob42
For what it's worth :

**********Perkins Butch
*****Taylors Sonny Boy
**********Perkins Sue
***Shetlers Sonny Boy
**********Rineharts Joe
*****Uhls Nancy
**********Williams Nancy

Nite Ch. Finley River Chief

**********Boerings Buck
*****Drum
**********Boerings Queen
***Bixlers Supreme Sally
**********Eichermans Web
*****Bell
**********Moores Sally

From what I have :

Chief x Finley River Bell = Finley River Pete

Ailshie Ozark Dan x Finley River Bell = Carsten Finley River Buck

Does anyone know where Finley River Bell came from?

Bob

Old Post 12-17-2003 12:27 AM
jackbob42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jackbob42 Click here to Send jackbob42 a Private Message Find more posts by jackbob42 Add jackbob42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jtd
UKC Forum Member

Didn't old Finley River blood throw alot of lemon colored dogs?

Old Post 12-17-2003 12:47 AM
jtd is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jtd Click here to Send jtd a Private Message Click Here to Email jtd Find more posts by jtd Add jtd to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Oak Ridge
UKC Forum Member

Anybody want to identify this hound?

Last edited by Oak Ridge on 12-17-2003 at 02:42 AM

Old Post 12-17-2003 02:26 AM
Oak Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Oak Ridge Click here to Send Oak Ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email Oak Ridge Find more posts by Oak Ridge Add Oak Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GES
UKC Forum Member

Answers for some of the questions

First, I have seen more lemon or yellow colored heads in the Finley River dogs than some other bloodlines, but I personally prefer dark red over black, and black over lemon. Some of the lemon headed dogs also carry a lighter colored eye.

Second, Finley River Mike was at one time owned by Ed Loomis and later purchased by Roger Rickman. He was bred by Ernie Biggs of Owasso, Oklahoma from Finley River Dan x Biggs Oklahoma Ginger. He was born April 5, 1975. The dog I started hunting with in 1977 was a littermate to Mike and that dog is the reason I still hunt Walkers of the Finley River strain.

Third, Mr. Hanson, I have a dog here that is a grandpup of the Boone x Elvira cross, too. Yeah, she's got Neosho River Skinner in her and she also has almost all Mears' Finley River dogs on the bottom-I bred this female to a son of Dual Grand Penny(Finley River Mike) x Dual Grand Nitehawk---need more Finley River????

I know that Finley River Bell was a single registered dog (fact). I was told she was owned by Herb Carsten and I have been told from a couple of people she was likely half bluetick. The same guys told me she was a heck of a coon dog, cold nose, and had a huge bawl locate

Lastly, Christy, I don't know a thing about what is in your Molly dogs pedigree except there is a lot of House and Banjo dogs there. I suspect that she has some Finley River dogs in her pedigree a ways back, but unless someone really tried to keep the characteristics of the old line, they are probably too outcrossed to show in your dog.

Keep 'em spotted!

Old Post 12-17-2003 02:40 AM
GES is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GES Click here to Send GES a Private Message Find more posts by GES Add GES to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GES
UKC Forum Member

Grand Nite Finley River Dan !!!!

The fella holding him is Lonnie Mears if you want to give some extra credit!

GES

Old Post 12-17-2003 02:43 AM
GES is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GES Click here to Send GES a Private Message Find more posts by GES Add GES to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GES
UKC Forum Member

laura

You may be correct in what Lonnie Mears likes, but several of the things you mention are not necessarily Finley River traits. Most of Lonnie's dogs go back to crosses on Gold Creek Mundo which are more compact, short tailed, rolling ears, and added a slick coat. Lonnie told me once that he used the Mundo crosses to add to the looks of the Finley River dogs---he wanted dual purpose hounds and thought he had enough "coon dog" in old Dan to hold up that end and Mundo added the look he was after. He didn't use Spring Creek Rock because he thought he added ticking to the color and some "other reasons". I have a lot of respect for Lonnie Mears, but I prefer other crosses on Dan for my own breeding. Keep 'em spotted.

Old Post 12-18-2003 01:14 AM
John Vanover
UKC Forum Member

FINLEY RIVER DOGS

I OWN A DOG OUT OF OLD HAYES AND A FEMALE THAT WAS 2X'S FINLEY RIVER CHIEF, 2X'S JOHNSON'S BANJO BRED SHOWING IN HER FIVE GENERATION PEDIGREE. OTHER DOGS SHOWING IN HER FIFTH GEN. ARE HOUSES QUEEN,FINLEY RIVER BUCK,FINLEY RIVER JOE,HOUSES CHIEF,FINLEY RIVER PETE,FINLEY RIVER SPORT,LANSDOWNS SMOKEY,TRAMBLES SWEET THING,PRATTS TENN.JIM. FOR ANYMORE INFO. ON MY DOG OR THE FINLEY RIVER LINE,FEEL FREE TO CALL ME AT (502)935-6994,OR E-MAIL AT WWW.UKCHANDLER2002@AOL.COM. THANKS, JOHN VANOVER

Old Post 12-18-2003 04:02 AM
John Vanover is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John Vanover Click here to Send John Vanover a Private Message Click Here to Email John Vanover Find more posts by John Vanover Add John Vanover to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mudcreek
UKC Forum Member

Mud Creek FR Sun

He is one of the pups out of the litter GES was talking about above. In this pic he is 8 months old, he's 2 years old now.

Last edited by mudcreek on 12-18-2003 at 08:46 PM

Old Post 12-18-2003 08:43 PM
mudcreek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mudcreek Click here to Send mudcreek a Private Message Visit mudcreek's homepage! Find more posts by mudcreek Add mudcreek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HOBO
UKC Forum Member

PWC Your pretty good for a B&T guy.

The article starts on Pg 85 on the April 1998 Coonhound Bloodlines.Sony boy's sire Taylor's Sonny boy was 1/8 Redbone,Sony Boy's dam Uhl's Nacy was off of a Registered walker female and a Bluetick male.

Ch.Swampmusic Lil Bit Sassy
Ch.Swampmusic Misty Shadow
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Boone
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Pride

But Looking To The Future...

Nt.Ch.Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Big Hoss

Dennis Robinson
Cell 540-295-3892

Old Post 12-18-2003 10:45 PM
HOBO is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HOBO Click here to Send HOBO a Private Message Click Here to Email HOBO Visit HOBO's homepage! Find more posts by HOBO Add HOBO to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wkfii
UKC Forum Member

Mud Creek

That Gascon blood is showing.

Old Post 12-19-2003 03:48 PM
wkfii is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wkfii Click here to Send wkfii a Private Message Click Here to Email wkfii Find more posts by wkfii Add wkfii to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Driveshaft
UKC Forum Member

WE NEED TO KEEP THIS BLOOD

GOING,... AL THE STUFF BEING BRED TODAY HAVE LOST A LOT OF THE THINGS THIS BLOOD WAS SO WELL KNOWN FOR LIKE TRACK POWER AND ACCURACY ...THANKS...................................

Old Post 09-16-2005 05:46 PM
Driveshaft is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Driveshaft Click here to Send Driveshaft a Private Message Click Here to Email Driveshaft Find more posts by Driveshaft Add Driveshaft to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bullet
UKC Forum Member

I have some of that type breeding..

My old Dual Gr. Dixieland Rip went back to Finley River Dan 5 times in 6 generations. I have 2 female pups that are double Rip bred. Rip is the grandsire on both sides. The mother of pups is heavy Finley river bred being out of a Finley River Lonnie female and Rip. I don't usually line breed this close but I really wanted to stay as close to Rip and the Finley River stuff as I could. Here are pics of these 2 females:

P.S. Date on the pictures is wrong. My digital camera had the wrong date on it and I didn't know it.

No Jesus.....No Peace

Old Post 09-16-2005 07:49 PM
Bullet is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bullet Click here to Send Bullet a Private Message Find more posts by Bullet Add Bullet to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Grant Noeske
UKC Forum Member

Re: WE NEED TO KEEP THIS BLOOD

quote:
Originally posted by Driveshaft
GOING,... AL THE STUFF BEING BRED TODAY HAVE LOST A LOT OF THE THINGS THIS BLOOD WAS SO WELL KNOWN FOR LIKE TRACK POWER AND ACCURACY ...THANKS...................................

I agree. There is a man west of Dubuque, Iowa and numerous men in Wisconsin who seem to be doing a good job of keeping the Finley River blood going.

Also, Alan Kalal just had a litter out his Dual Gr. Ch. Destiny female (who I hear is an older style, trailing type dog....and nice) and Lonnie Mears' Dual Gr. Ch. Finley River Pete. That should make a very nice cross. Destiny's sire, Tell Sackett, came from what some consider the best cross in Walker history (Tell, Frank, Tuck, Majic, etc...).

I think a lot of people are moving back toward the Finley River and House lines to get more tracking ability. Just my 2 cents.

Old Post 09-16-2005 09:47 PM
Grant Noeske is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Grant Noeske Click here to Send Grant Noeske a Private Message Visit Grant Noeske's homepage! Find more posts by Grant Noeske Add Grant Noeske to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Blister 1
UKC Forum Member

Bullet, I love the looks of that first female pup. She reminds me of a female I owned out of GRNTCHCH Curt's Hammering Junior years ago.

Old Post 09-17-2005 01:11 AM
Blister 1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Blister 1 Click here to Send Blister 1 a Private Message Click Here to Email Blister 1 Find more posts by Blister 1 Add Blister 1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bullet
UKC Forum Member

Blister1

That is the one that I picked to keep. The other one is for sale.

No Jesus.....No Peace

Old Post 09-17-2005 11:39 AM
Bullet is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bullet Click here to Send Bullet a Private Message Find more posts by Bullet Add Bullet to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
copperheadcreek
UKC Forum Member

Fellas I have a few pups that are Finley River and Hank bred. They are about 13 weeks old and LOUD!!! they are gonna make some nice hounds. You can check out their Ped at www.copperheadcreekkennels.com check the pups page.

Thanks Felecia

NTCH 'PR' Yadkin River Rose(4 wins toward grand)

Old Post 09-18-2005 03:49 AM
copperheadcreek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for copperheadcreek Click here to Send copperheadcreek a Private Message Click Here to Email copperheadcreek Visit copperheadcreek's homepage! Find more posts by copperheadcreek Add copperheadcreek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Coonhusker
UKC Forum Member

Driveshaft, thanks for bringing this post back to life..... I had figured it had made it's journey to the end of the board and disappeared forever, lol.

I would like to ask you a couple of questions. 1) What litter of pups would you now look at to help carry on this blood? 2) Which stud dog would you breed to to help carry on this blood? Thanks again, Harley

Old Post 09-18-2005 10:58 PM
Coonhusker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Coonhusker Click here to Send Coonhusker a Private Message Click Here to Email Coonhusker Find more posts by Coonhusker Add Coonhusker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Driveshaft
UKC Forum Member

coonhusker

lots of old blood around , not much advertised blood anymore or what i aould called real finley river blood. lots of show dogs out there but not true finleyriver coondogs not in my eyes. maybe pete or abe are some well known finleyriver bred hounds ya might want to check out....my old dog is heavy finley river bred thru red eagle dick and finley river dan , but his bottom side is all flag bred ....he has lots of tree power and lots of finley river brains.......your choices are minimul right now but lots of luck getting it back your way .......................................

Old Post 09-18-2005 11:06 PM