UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Heterobilharzia Americana
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Heterobilharzia Americana

One of my dogs was starting to graze quite a bit on grass…about a month later he did not look so good…
It seemed he was having symptoms of Parvo or Corona…lasted about a week and then it seemed like he was recovering…that lasted about a week and he started going downhill quick after that…both times he was slobbering like Parvo…
Long story short I had my wife take the dog to the Vet…the dog looked so bad I knew it probably wouldn’t make another day…I won’t spend a lot of money connecting this old dog to an IV and all that…if they think he should be put to sleep then we will do it…but for sure I wanted a blood sample and tested to see what is causing the illness on account I have never seen this in my dogs…
Our Vet is over an hour away on account they are reasonable about treatments and costs…I stay away from those around my area…
They performed a blood test and they saw extremely high calcium, high protein, and high Globulin…the Vet did some quick research, and she suspected a rare type of infection…
She thought Heterobilharzia Americana…she was extremely excited about her first case…she was not 100 percent sure, but she started treatment like it were…she sent off a sample to Texas A&M and it was confirmed…
On the way home the dog was better and looked like he would make it…that was Monday…today is Thursday and he is acting surprisingly good and he was able to get on top of the picnic table on his own…even acting all happy…I fed him raw hamburger and Church’s Fried Chicken for three days…this evening he is back on normal rations but I will supplement raw hamburger until his weight comes back…
Before going to the vet he wouldn’t eat a Ribeye that was left over…

The treat right now is 9 cc’s of liquid Panacur once a day for ten days…I did a search and another treatment is Praziquantel…I couldn’t find it in capsules so ordered it in a 50 gram container…when I finish with the Vet’s treatment I will retreat with Praziquantel after a few weeks after the dog is off Panacur…the treatments are wormers…

According to the available data, the illness is more common along the Atlantic and Gulf Coasts…A few cases as far as Kansas have been documented…

Raccoons are the natural definitive host for Heterobilharzia Americana. Dogs can also serve as a definitive host. Dogs acquire infections when cercariae of H. Americana penetrate the skin while dogs are swimming or wading in contaminated fresh water sources.

Has anyone else experienced this with their dogs?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-09-2021 02:35 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

You had left over ribeye?

Old Post 04-09-2021 03:04 AM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by houndsound
You had left over ribeye?

Yep...my wife and I ordered 12 oz ribeyes but by time we ate the salad and appetizer we could only eat about 6 ounces of steak each...
The Southern Freeze we got a while back has kept working between 70 and 88 hrs per week...one day off a week and I’m gonna eat at least one ribeye...😁

Old Post 04-09-2021 03:26 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Yogi33
UKC Forum Member

High Calcium

How high was your dogs Calcium and how old is it? Any radiogtahs or quick ultrasound done?

Old Post 04-09-2021 08:09 AM
Yogi33 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Yogi33 Click here to Send Yogi33 a Private Message Find more posts by Yogi33 Add Yogi33 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

I don’t know all tests performed... I didn’t mention high BUN as well...

The calcium showed to max out on analysis because it had the greater than sign>...the number was greater than 16.0 mg/dl...

I’m not at home to find his birth date but he is over 9 years old...

Old Post 04-09-2021 06:26 PM
purgatoryblue
UKC Forum Member

Warning :

Thanks for posting info on this disease . It will help a lot of us and our vets if more hounds contact this disease . I hope your hound will recover fully . Thanks again .

Old Post 04-09-2021 11:06 PM
purgatoryblue is offline Click Here to See the Profile for purgatoryblue Click here to Send purgatoryblue a Private Message Find more posts by purgatoryblue Add purgatoryblue to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
purgatoryblue
UKC Forum Member

Warning :

Thanks for posting info on this disease . It will help a lot of us and our vets if more hounds contact this disease . I hope your hound will recover fully . Thanks again .

Old Post 04-09-2021 11:06 PM
purgatoryblue is offline Click Here to See the Profile for purgatoryblue Click here to Send purgatoryblue a Private Message Find more posts by purgatoryblue Add purgatoryblue to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stan Ferrell
UKC Forum Member

If Racoons are the carrier, most competition dogs will be fine.

Old Post 04-10-2021 02:27 AM
Stan Ferrell is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stan Ferrell Click here to Send Stan Ferrell a Private Message Find more posts by Stan Ferrell Add Stan Ferrell to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

There isn’t much data on this illness...
What I have observed cannot be considered as symptoms of this disease...but then again it could be...just something to think about...

Out of all my dogs, this dog started eating certain grasses from my backyard for past 6 months or so...the other 7 dogs have not any more than usual...

This dogs stool looked somewhat normal most of that time...

About a month go I noticed he had lost a little weight and his stomach looked somewhat swollen...around that time he started favoring his hips like he had a mild case of hip displasia...
I was thinking dog food and/or age related issues at the time or possibly cancer...

Soon after he started slobbering like parvovirus or coronavirus symptoms...
3 or 4 days later it cleared up and he seemed to be recuperating...

A week later he started slobbering again and this time he lost a lot of weight...

My wife takes him to the vet for me and my instructions were to have stool and blood samples drawn and analyzed even if the Vet says it would be best to put him down...
I insisted on this analysis because I had heard dogs could get infected with covid 19, or, maybe it could be something else just as unusual...either way I wanted to know what was happening to my dog...of all my years of being around dogs I have never seen anything like this illness before...

The Veterinarians did some excellent troubleshooting for never seeing this illness before in their practice...

By the looks of it this illness is easy to treat...it’s best if it is caught and treated early because it seems it could cause permanent damage if not...my dog would have died if not treated...

Hopefully sharing this information could possibly help someone else if they happen to encounter this illness with one of their dogs...

Old Post 04-10-2021 04:58 PM
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Monday ole Tiger looked like he wouldn’t make it another day...by Thursday he had a firm stool and was acting pretty good and Friday he is moving around like he wants to go hunting...

He has 4 more days of Panacur to take and he should be fine...I will post post again if there are changes...

Old Post 04-10-2021 07:12 PM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Glad yours is doing better. I hope he makes a full recovery!
A couple of years ago a friend of ours in Kansas dog was diagnosed with this ( Schistosomiasis) being sick off and on for probably a year. Various vets had treated tried treating the dog but none ever came up with the right diagnosis until he finally took him to KU. His local vets were trying to treat like it was a tick disease with doxycycline or maybe low thyroid, allergies ect, the more common things they run into. His got some better after treatment but long term damage had already been done by the time the diagnosis was made and he later died from it. This parasite that enters through the skin and travels through to the lungs. Strangely part of its lifecycle involves a snail.
I've wandered if one reason it is not more common is the prevalence of the use of fenbendazole (Panacure) in hounds.
His dog had started out not acting right and slick treeing then got worse, he was a very accomplished dog not a pup so he knew something wasn't right health wise early on. This is definitely one to remember if anyone has a sick dog that a vet can't pinpoint diagnosis on to suggest testing for. Sometimes we have to think outside the box.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 04-11-2021 03:32 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ov_blues
UKC Forum Member

Did your dog get dehydrated when he was sick?

Old Post 04-11-2021 03:56 AM
ov_blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ov_blues Click here to Send ov_blues a Private Message Click Here to Email ov_blues Find more posts by ov_blues Add ov_blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

The Vet never did say... I would say the dog was dehydrated because he had diarrhea and wasn’t eating...the Vet was more worried about the dogs tremors he was starting to have...she said the tremors were a sign of high calcium in the blood...

when my wife left to the veterinary clinic the dog didn’t have the strength to sit up...

the first treatment was given by the vet and we saw improvement within an hour...when my wife pulled up with the dog he was sitting up...that in itself seemed miraculous to us...

Old Post 04-11-2021 04:56 AM
ov_blues
UKC Forum Member

I lost a very nice 6 month old pup a few years ago with what sounds like very similar symptoms. Wish My vet would have been able to diagnose it like yours did.

Old Post 04-11-2021 05:06 AM
ov_blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ov_blues Click here to Send ov_blues a Private Message Click Here to Email ov_blues Find more posts by ov_blues Add ov_blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
benderb4
Banned

Reuben.
Praziquantel is readily available in caplets from any animal supply as Fish Tapes . Comes in two sizes and way cheaper then dog ones.
I read your story.
I had an older dog die last summer. She had Lymes so I just credited to that reason that it finally got her.
She grazed a lot when left out of her kennel. This was for over a year though. Most vets pass it off(grass eating) and there is no information that definitely gives a reason . Could not take the heat.
A year a go she started getting lethargic and off her feed losing weight. I brought her in for the winter. Fed her cooked chicken ,ham, hot dogs. She finally went back on regular feed. I put her back in her kennel in the spring. She seemed okay but I still couldn't keep weight on her. Then in June/July she went back to heavy grass eating ,lethargic, not eating. Drank normal water amount.
Couldn't get Vet help because getting appointments was near impossible last summer.
I left the old girl roam the yard until she quietly laid down on the porch in front of the house door and passed.
She never displayed slobbering. .
So whether it was same as your dog or Lymes. I will never know.
But certainly would had tried that worming schedule.
Article I pasted below states Definitive treatment included praziquantel and fenbendazole.
One year too late for me.But your information will be stored in my memory .Never heard of it.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/20002553/

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12126129/

Causation
The life cycle of H. americana is indirect and involves a snail. The egg of H. americana is passed in the feces of the dog and hatches almost immediately in water. The immature form swims around until it finds a snail. The immature form enters the snail where it matures into an infective form. These forms leave their snail host and swim in search of a dog or raccoon. But, they only leave the snail early in the morning. These forms only have one day in which to find a host before they die.

Upon entering a dog, the infective forms enter the veins in the skin and are then carried to the heart and lungs. By several routes, they migrate to the veins of the intestine and liver where they mature. A bulkier male worm mates with the very slender and petite female. She then moves into smaller veins and lays her eggs and then leaves. The eggs are then passed in the feces.

Fenbendazole (Panacur) given once a day for ten days or praziquantel (Droncit) given two to three times a day for three days have been effective treatments.
Sometimes repeated in three weeks. In many instances, the use of this medication results in complete resolution.

TRUTH IS TREASON IN AN EMPIRE OF LIES...G. Orwell
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING THE GOVERNMENT TELLS YOU...G. Carlin
ONLY THOSE WHO HAVE SOMETHING TO HIDE WORK RELENTLESSLY TO CENSOR THOSE WHO SPEAK THE TRUTH...Ron DeSantis

Last edited by benderb4 on 04-12-2021 at 02:46 AM

Old Post 04-12-2021 02:34 AM
benderb4 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for benderb4 Find more posts by benderb4 Add benderb4 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by benderb4
Reuben.
Praziquantel is readily available in caplets from any animal supply as Fish Tapes . Comes in two sizes and way cheaper then dog ones.
I read your story.
I had an older dog die last summer. She had Lymes so I just credited to that reason that it finally got her.
She grazed a lot when left out of her kennel. This was for over a year though. Most vets pass it off(grass eating) and there is no information that definitely gives a reason . Could not take the heat.
A year a go she started getting lethargic and off her feed losing weight. I brought her in for the winter. Fed her cooked chicken ,ham, hot dogs. She finally went back on regular feed. I put her back in her kennel in the spring. She seemed okay but I still couldn't keep weight on her. Then in June/July she went back to heavy grass eating ,lethargic, not eating. Drank normal water amount.
Couldn't get Vet help because getting appointments was near impossible last summer.
I left the old girl roam the yard until she quietly laid down on the porch in front of the house door and passed.
She never displayed slobbering. .
So whether it was same as your dog or Lymes. I will never know.
But certainly would had tried that worming schedule.
Article I pasted below states Definitive treatment included praziquantel and fenbendazole.
One year too late for me.But your information will be stored in my memory .Never heard of it.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/20002553/

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12126129/

Causation
The life cycle of H. americana is indirect and involves a snail. The egg of H. americana is passed in the feces of the dog and hatches almost immediately in water. The immature form swims around until it finds a snail. The immature form enters the snail where it matures into an infective form. These forms leave their snail host and swim in search of a dog or raccoon. But, they only leave the snail early in the morning. These forms only have one day in which to find a host before they die.

Upon entering a dog, the infective forms enter the veins in the skin and are then carried to the heart and lungs. By several routes, they migrate to the veins of the intestine and liver where they mature. A bulkier male worm mates with the very slender and petite female. She then moves into smaller veins and lays her eggs and then leaves. The eggs are then passed in the feces.

Sorry to hear about your dog...I did say the dog was eating grass for 6 months but it was way longer possibly a year...but for sure at least 6 months...

On the praziquantel I buy it for fish in capsules but every website I tried was temporarily out...

I bought quite a bit for fifty dollars...should last until the expiration date is reached...I really haven’t needed any in the last 2 or 3 years...haven’t had any fleas in a good while...

Getting back to my dog...I will follow the veterinarian instructions in his treatment just so she can gain experience in treating this illness...

I will eventually follow up with praziquantel... I tend to do most veterinary work myself if I am able...

Old Post 04-12-2021 03:01 AM
bearhunter747
UKC Forum Member

Reuben

Hey Reuben I had a dog with all these symptoms except his white blood cell count was 4x's what it should have been. Do you know what your dogs count was? To make a really long story short my dog was down for 4 months of wormer, antibiotics, and various other things the dog survived but hasn't hunted since. Never was the same dog afterwards so he's just a sorry ol yard dog now but he's pretty to look at his sorry carcus.

Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid! (John Wayne)

Old Post 04-13-2021 01:51 AM
bearhunter747 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bearhunter747 Click here to Send bearhunter747 a Private Message Find more posts by bearhunter747 Add bearhunter747 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

The blood cell counts were in the normal range and he was not running a fever...

Old Post 04-13-2021 03:11 AM
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

The blood cell counts were in the normal range and he was not running a fever...

Old Post 04-13-2021 03:11 AM
bearhunter747
UKC Forum Member

Thanks may not be the same thing but mine was running fever and white blood test was 52,000 and should have been around 17000. Went from 67lbs to 29 lbs of weight. The vet said he had some kind of infection he thought but couldn't find anything. Spent 1200$ and just when I thought he'd die a friend told me bout LA 200 and I'm not saying that's what saved him but I went to TSP and bought a 30$ bottle and give 1.5cc a day for 3 days and he finally started eating and more active. Still don't know what it was but I think the fever maybe fried his brain but he won't hunt no more just Like's to hang out with me... but that's ok maybe if ol sasquatch come for one night all I have to do is outrun ol Django! Lol

Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid! (John Wayne)

Old Post 04-13-2021 12:59 PM
bearhunter747 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bearhunter747 Click here to Send bearhunter747 a Private Message Find more posts by bearhunter747 Add bearhunter747 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Took Tiger to the vet today...he’s gained 7 pounds in ten days...in two weeks he will start with 11 cc’s of panacur per day for 10 days and she said the dog should recover and will probably die of other causes...

The vet said that the second round of panacur as making sure that the difference stages of the parasite do not respond the same to the wormer...she said we are making sure the dog gets cleared of the parasite...

Old Post 04-16-2021 01:57 AM
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Tiger is supposed to start his second round of panacur for ten days on May 5th...

The first round saved his life but he plateaued...he eats very little and I have to mix it with something like chicken and gravy for him to eat...still eating lots of grass but has firm stool...

Last edited by Reuben on 05-02-2021 at 03:27 AM

Old Post 04-27-2021 02:34 AM
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

The dog started going down pretty quick...I drove to the Vet and told her I wanted to try praziquantel on account I read it had been used in treating dogs with this illness...I ordered my own but is on back order...48 pills at $264.00, I was given a 120.00 discount she also said start the 11 cc’s of panacur per day for ten days...

The praziquantel...take 8-34 mg tablets every 8 hours until used up...two full days...

Old Post 05-02-2021 03:39 AM
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Tiger finished his praziquantel tabs this morning at 5 am...
He still needs to finish his daily panacur he is taking for ten days straight at 11 cc’s per dose...

At this time he will not eat dog food...he is eating raw hamburger 73/30 and loves it...also eating raw beef liver and likes it better than hamburger...if this doesn’t cure him I will ask the vet if they want Tiger for experimenting in finding a cure if not I will keep him until he needs to be put down...

I don’t think the panacur is working... I am hoping the praziquantel will cure him...

Old Post 05-06-2021 01:31 AM
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Praziquantel...Tiger was taking over 2 times the amount that is given to a dog to treat tape worms...not just once but every 8 hours for 48 hours...which was a total of 6 times...adding to that he is on panacur...11 cc’s per day for 10 days...

The dog is getting better by leaps and bounds...time will tell if the illness has been eradicated...

Here is my point...many say, do not exceed recommended dosages on wormers...especially ivermectin...

Not giving enough will create immunity in the worms in my opinion...

Last edited by Reuben on 05-06-2021 at 06:33 PM

Old Post 05-06-2021 01:38 PM