UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Purina dog chow
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
mjgrigas
UKC Forum Member

Purina dog chow

I have a 10mo walker female that was on puppy chow till recently. She is now on dog chow beef flavored. I'm having great results with it. Good stools and looks good in general. I was feeding pride to my other dog and had decent results. As a former member of Pro club I fed Purina for years until switching to pride. But as long as she holds up under hard hunting I'm staying with dog chow. It isn't bad feed and priced right. Because of all they do for coonhunters I will stay with it. If I feel the need to improve the feed I will feed Purina 1 chicken. As pro plan is out of my price range.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-25-2021 02:26 PM
mjgrigas is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mjgrigas Click here to Send mjgrigas a Private Message Click Here to Email mjgrigas Find more posts by mjgrigas Add mjgrigas to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Dog Chow

Dont be Misled by anyone......Purina Dog Chow is Great Dog Food. As a Fact.....Any Purina Food is Very Good and Purina has been around a long time.
Sam's Club has either 55# or 57# Bags of Dog Chow for $23 and you cant beat it. You can Buy Purina just about anywhere & that helps with getting it.
Tim

Quality, Dependable Coon Lights--Built by a Coonhunter for Coonhunters
==================================
** Superior Lights

** Sunspot Hunting Lights

** Zepp's--Quality Products

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

** They Twist it until they start believing it themselves**

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Competition Coonhunters and Politicians
** Win anyway you have to & tell everyone what they want to hear **

Old Post 02-26-2021 11:19 AM
Triple K Kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Triple K Kennel Click here to Send Triple K Kennel a Private Message Find more posts by Triple K Kennel Add Triple K Kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

They have the Dog Chow / High Protein blend now also, for only a couple bucks more that the dogs will do really good on. Can't beat their rewards. I think when I buy my next two bags I get $50 in Visa prepaid cards.

Old Post 02-26-2021 11:23 AM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
las123
UKC Forum Member

dog chow

i have feed my dogs purina dog chow for over 30 years,never have had a problem{chicken}.in some cases if i have a dog that i feel needs a little boost while hunting hard i just upgradw in the purina line.but i have never ever had a problem with dog chow.in fact i believe it is the only purina dog chow {chicken}is the only feed that has never had a recall.according to my daughter research for a school project

Old Post 02-27-2021 04:37 PM
las123 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for las123 Click here to Send las123 a Private Message Click Here to Email las123 Find more posts by las123 Add las123 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Re: Dog Chow

quote:
Originally posted by Triple K Kennel
Dont be Misled by anyone......Purina Dog Chow is Great Dog Food. As a Fact.....Any Purina Food is Very Good and Purina has been around a long time.
Sam's Club has either 55# or 57# Bags of Dog Chow for $23 and you cant beat it. You can Buy Purina just about anywhere & that helps with getting it.
Tim

I feed dog chow mixed with Purina One 50/50 mix, dogs look and do great. Dave

Old Post 02-27-2021 11:48 PM
Dave Richards is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mjgrigas
UKC Forum Member

With the amount of hunting I do in decent weather couple of drops 3 or 4 nights a week I should be fine with dog chow. My landlord fed dog chow to his grand nite and all the other dogs he's had here and did well. I live on his farm and can make 5 drops right around the house. Pride is decent food butwith all Purina does for the coonhunter it's good feed and easy to get. My landlord hunted Taz pretty hard a few years ago and he competed at the highest level on it. Thanks for the info guys.

Old Post 02-28-2021 01:42 AM
mjgrigas is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mjgrigas Click here to Send mjgrigas a Private Message Click Here to Email mjgrigas Find more posts by mjgrigas Add mjgrigas to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by mjgrigas
I live on his farm and can make 5 drops right around the house.

Please let me know when you move out and there is a vacancy.

Old Post 02-28-2021 02:26 AM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BILL HUBBARD
UKC Forum Member

purina

Ive fed about every feed on the market. Purina dog chow is definetly my favorite. Good all around feed for all seasons. My hounds look great and hunt great feeding this.

Old Post 02-28-2021 09:33 PM
BILL HUBBARD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BILL HUBBARD Click here to Send BILL HUBBARD a Private Message Find more posts by BILL HUBBARD Add BILL HUBBARD to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BILL HUBBARD
UKC Forum Member

purina

Ive fed about every feed on the market. Purina dog chow is definetly my favorite. Good all around feed for all seasons. My hounds look great and hunt great feeding this.

Old Post 02-28-2021 09:33 PM
BILL HUBBARD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BILL HUBBARD Click here to Send BILL HUBBARD a Private Message Find more posts by BILL HUBBARD Add BILL HUBBARD to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BluetickHound22
UKC Forum Member

I bought some for $18 something at Sam’s club. Seems to be a alright feed but my dogs don’t hold up very well on it when hunted hard. A little extra Kennel clean up is one thing I notice with it.

Old Post 03-01-2021 04:50 AM
BluetickHound22 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BluetickHound22 Click here to Send BluetickHound22 a Private Message Click Here to Email BluetickHound22 Find more posts by BluetickHound22 Add BluetickHound22 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Re: Dog Chow

quote:
Originally posted by Triple K Kennel
Tim

I been mixing the 57# Purina dog chow chicken flavor with value pak blue bag 50/50...the dog chow is less than $27 as you have said...dogs are doing great and stools aren’t bad, the dogs seem to really like it the mix...

Old Post 03-12-2021 03:00 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Stopped at Sam’s Warehouse on account I was passing through and picked up 2 more 57# bags of the dog chow with real chicken...it was on sale for $17.98 per bag...
The plan is to keep mixing it 50/50 with value-pak...

Old Post 03-14-2021 04:25 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
civins1082
UKC Forum Member

Food

Putin’s dog chow is fine. I feed half dog chow and half pro plan sport 30/20 in summer and all pro plan sport in fall and winter

Old Post 03-14-2021 04:40 AM
civins1082 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for civins1082 Click here to Send civins1082 a Private Message Click Here to Email civins1082 Find more posts by civins1082 Add civins1082 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ov_blues
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Reuben
Stopped at Sam’s Warehouse on account I was passing through and picked up 2 more 57# bags of the dog chow with real chicken...it was on sale for $17.98 per bag...
The plan is to keep mixing it 50/50 with value-pak...

Check out the ingredients on the bag. Chicken is way down the list. I ask about this on a Purina Facebook ad and whoever answered for Purina said as long as the feed had more than 3% of an ingredient in it they could promote that ingredient for marketing. If you look at the ingredients in the dog chow that is marketed “made with real beef” it actually has more chicken that the dog chow “made with real chicken”.

All that said, I don’t like the ingredients list of dog chow but it does the job somehow and for the price I can’t help but feed it. Join the pro club and get $4 more off a bag and it’s one of the cheapest feeds you can buy.

Old Post 03-14-2021 06:05 AM
ov_blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ov_blues Click here to Send ov_blues a Private Message Click Here to Email ov_blues Find more posts by ov_blues Add ov_blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

Dog chow .... Shouldn't be more than .32¢ a lb ...that's all it's worth jmo.

Old Post 03-14-2021 03:11 PM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bob Hennessey
UKC Forum Member

I don't feed Dog Chow, but I looked it up Ground corn first ingredient. Third ingredient corn meal. Looks like it is mostly corn.

You can't fix STUPID!

Old Post 03-14-2021 04:59 PM
Bob Hennessey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bob Hennessey Click here to Send Bob Hennessey a Private Message Find more posts by Bob Hennessey Add Bob Hennessey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

I'm curious. Who determined corn was bad? Why is it bad?

Old Post 03-14-2021 06:36 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

I’m pretty versed on how to read dog food ingredients...
I have had issues with certain high quality feeds in the last 2 or 3 years and I feel better adding dog chow to the feed...the dogs really like the blend...the dogs are producing less waste...time will tell...I been feeding 8 or more dogs daily for over 35 years and fed many more over the years...

Old Post 03-14-2021 08:27 PM
ov_blues
UKC Forum Member

I wasn’t knocking dog chow as I’ve been feeding it for over a year now. I just think it is misleading how they market the food with the “made with real chicken” or “real beef”. I’m finding out feeding 20+ head of various breeds of dogs that most do ok with just dog chow but some do need a boost with a higher quality feed or else I have to feed quite a bit more and get a lot more mess to clean up. There definitely isn’t one “best” or “good” dog food.

Old Post 03-15-2021 01:26 AM
ov_blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ov_blues Click here to Send ov_blues a Private Message Click Here to Email ov_blues Find more posts by ov_blues Add ov_blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Hall
UKC Forum Member

Shadinc,

I'd like to know the answer to your question as well.. Why is cooked corn in dog food bad for our hounds? Shoot as a young man I recall my grand mother made a pone of corn bread for our two hunting dogs every morning. That along with table scraps was "dog feed"...

I never recall them having any health issues and they both lived to a ripe old age.. FWIW..

I've switched over to Purina One Salmon and Tuna about a year ago and I'm extremely content with how the dogs hold up and perform.. No heat issues in the summer and they hold up well in the winter..

Old Post 03-18-2021 01:22 PM
Larry Hall is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Hall Click here to Send Larry Hall a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Hall Find more posts by Larry Hall Add Larry Hall to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
treedog2345
UKC Forum Member

Purina

I want to ask a question and please understand it is a question and not to sound smart or anything of that nature. I keep reading where everyone that feeds purina has to mix it with another type of purina doesn't that defeat the purpose of saying the feed is a good feed if you have to constantly mix it with something else to get the desired affect? And again it is not being smart just an honest question. I don't feed purina but would love to if my dogs would do good on it for the money you can't go wrong but want the best value along with best feed for my dogs

Old Post 03-18-2021 02:55 PM
treedog2345 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for treedog2345 Click here to Send treedog2345 a Private Message Find more posts by treedog2345 Add treedog2345 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bob Hennessey
UKC Forum Member

Corn is a filler doesn't mean it's bad. Just when it is the first ingredient listed means the dog food is made mostly of corn. Dog chow is listed as the first and 3rd ingredient. Back in the 60's I made my own dog food 300 # at a time. It was ground corn, 50# of dried meat scraps, bag of milk replacer and can't remember what else. Fed it wet. I also feed extra fresh meat from butcher shop. I had coonhounds, greyhounds and a couple of bird dogs.
I would have no problem feeding dog chow to a yard dog and even a coon hound thar was hunted once or so a week, but for a dog being hunted hard you need something better. I think lots of people mix it with another dog food and use it as a filler which works.

You can't fix STUPID!

Last edited by Bob Hennessey on 03-18-2021 at 03:49 PM

Old Post 03-18-2021 03:42 PM
Bob Hennessey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bob Hennessey Click here to Send Bob Hennessey a Private Message Find more posts by Bob Hennessey Add Bob Hennessey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Re: Purina

quote:
Originally posted by treedog2345
I want to ask a question and please understand it is a question and not to sound smart or anything of that nature. I keep reading where everyone that feeds purina has to mix it with another type of purina doesn't that defeat the purpose of saying the feed is a good feed if you have to constantly mix it with something else to get the desired affect? And again it is not being smart just an honest question. I don't feed purina but would love to if my dogs would do good on it for the money you can't go wrong but want the best value along with best feed for my dogs

I’ve never used Purina dog chow until recently...it costs me 22 bucks for 55 lbs and so I mix it 50/50 with valu-pak which costs me 33 dollars fo 50 lbs...
My dogs like this mix quite a bit and they look healthier already...on average I am saving 5.50 a bag plus getting an extra 2.5 lbs. of feed per bag...

Old Post 03-19-2021 03:03 AM
bearhunter747
UKC Forum Member

What does the dog chow bag look like! There so many different ones... is it the green bag?

Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid! (John Wayne)

Old Post 03-19-2021 02:35 PM
bearhunter747 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bearhunter747 Click here to Send bearhunter747 a Private Message Find more posts by bearhunter747 Add bearhunter747 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

The one I’m buying is a green bag...there are several green bags but the one I am buying is the one that has a little chicken in it...

My dogs are looking better and the one that wouldn’t put on weight is looking good...

The weather is starting to warm up so the dogs normally will gain weight but I know it is the blend...

Old Post 03-20-2021 02:49 AM