UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Toughest State To Hunt
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
ncstatewalkers
UKC Forum Member

the hunting is Easter NC is NOT that tough!! heck, I treed a possum in less then 3 minutes last night and Coulda walked to the tree in flip flops because it was right on the path. HAHA.

It is mighty thick in spots and mighty wet in others in eastern NC. I can't find anybody to hunt with me in the summer around here cuz everyone is afraid of the snakes and its freakin hot and humid and the mosquitoes and ticks are terrible. However, I have never been hunting in florida, but I'd say that has got to be the toughest. everything I mentioned plus alligators and now those hugh snakes people have been releasing down there. I have ran into a few bears in the 400-600lb range coon hunting here (that's not any fun) but I'll take them over gators and 20 ft. pythons any day!

Jacob

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-25-2010 07:06 PM
ncstatewalkers is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ncstatewalkers Click here to Send ncstatewalkers a Private Message Click Here to Email ncstatewalkers Find more posts by ncstatewalkers Add ncstatewalkers to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ray Lilly
UKC Forum Member

Come on down to the FLATWOODS in July. 80degrees, mosquito's,sand nats,cottonmouths,deep water from tailgate to tree,thick woods where you cant stand up or see the sky, alligators (the least of my worries). Then you finally make it out of the water and you better look for rattlesnakes. Oh and did I mentioned COTTONMOUTHS(killed about 25 of those last summer)!!!!
Come on down for a hunt and I might win the worst hunting title.

Gr.NiteCh. Lilly's GA. Joe (GrniteCh Flippo's Mr.Bigshot X NiteCh Ace female)
Gr.NiteCh. Lilly's GA. Buckshot (Joe X Albert's Last Chance female)
'PR' Lilly&Swan's Allnight Tuff Enuf (Joe X GrNite Ch Swan's Allnight Ashley)co-owned with Jamie Swan
'PR' Lilly's Ga. Joe II (Joe X GrNiteCh Ch Swan's Allnight Ashley)
'PR' Collake's Pretty Patsy (4 Time Floyd x Rocket female)

Old Post 02-25-2010 07:56 PM
Ray Lilly is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ray Lilly Click here to Send Ray Lilly a Private Message Click Here to Email Ray Lilly Find more posts by Ray Lilly Add Ray Lilly to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jake2
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Ray Lilly
Come on down to the FLATWOODS in July. 80degrees, mosquito's,sand nats,cottonmouths,deep water from tailgate to tree,thick woods where you cant stand up or see the sky, alligators (the least of my worries). Then you finally make it out of the water and you better look for rattlesnakes. Oh and did I mentioned COTTONMOUTHS(killed about 25 of those last summer)!!!!

no thanks, come up here for a hunt and you might not want to leave

Old Post 02-25-2010 09:05 PM
jake2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jake2 Click here to Send jake2 a Private Message Click Here to Email jake2 Find more posts by jake2 Add jake2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ray Lilly
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by jake2
no thanks, come up here for a hunt and you might not want to leave

Your probably right.lol

'PR' Lilly&Swan's Allnight Tuff Enuf (Joe X GrNite Ch Swan's Allnight Ashley)co-owned with Jamie Swan

Old Post 02-25-2010 09:12 PM
Ray Lilly is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ray Lilly Click here to Send Ray Lilly a Private Message Click Here to Email Ray Lilly Find more posts by Ray Lilly Add Ray Lilly to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tim Trone
UKC Forum Member

ray come back to fowlstown and hunt .maybe we can draw out together and i can show you where i take the cast if they want to bi-ch to much. the only problem is they wont come back and hunt .i dont know why i always get the question like "we are turnin out here" or "do you have a spot that isnt as thick" some dogs cant even figure out how to get off the road . thick thick woods

Old Post 02-25-2010 11:03 PM
Tim Trone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tim Trone Click here to Send Tim Trone a Private Message Find more posts by Tim Trone Add Tim Trone to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mnplottman
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Ray Lilly

I'd sell my dogs if I had to hunt in that.LOL

Old Post 02-26-2010 12:56 AM
mnplottman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mnplottman Click here to Send mnplottman a Private Message Find more posts by mnplottman Add mnplottman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ray Lilly
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by luke &junior
ray come back to fowlstown and hunt .maybe we can draw out together and i can show you where i take the cast if they want to bi-ch to much. the only problem is they wont come back and hunt .i dont know why i always get the question like "we are turnin out here" or "do you have a spot that isnt as thick" some dogs cant even figure out how to get off the road . thick thick woods

I always liked Fowlstown, it is like a vacation to me. I guess I've always gotten a pretty good draw there.

Old Post 02-26-2010 01:49 AM
Ray Lilly
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by mnplottman
I'd sell my dogs if I had to hunt in that.LOL

I like to have a nickel for everytime I've heard that.lol

Old Post 02-26-2010 01:51 AM
thickcoon
UKC Forum Member

just my opinion but whereever they got alligators!!

Old Post 03-16-2010 11:43 PM
thickcoon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thickcoon Click here to Send thickcoon a Private Message Click Here to Email thickcoon Find more posts by thickcoon Add thickcoon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jacoblipford
UKC Forum Member

some places here in west,tn can be a cake walk some will make u quit usually when i hunt with my buddys we can ride the 4 wheelers to the tree when im by myself i hunt swamps its not so bad in the summer with no rain just some snakes winter its way to cold and when u get out of the swamp its thick thick woods nobody likes hunting my places to many snakes and a couple of gators have been spotted.

Old Post 03-17-2010 12:09 AM
jacoblipford is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jacoblipford Click here to Send jacoblipford a Private Message Click Here to Email jacoblipford Find more posts by jacoblipford Add jacoblipford to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
englishpride
UKC Forum Member

S.C. Briars,snakes,briars,crawl to your dog more briars run into a beaver lake its thick with briars dodge the cotton mouths just made it out of the lake time to crawl again threw the briars just run up on a rattler (need to buy new boxers just ruined these)made it to the dog now got the joy of turning around and doing it all over again make sure you go around the rattler,now your lost the dog is pulling you threw the briars your all cut up losing alot of blood if your cell phone had signal you would call 911 to come air lift you out.made it to a highway 5 miles from your truck telling yourself if i dont quit coon hunting all together then i promise i will never come in this hole again,just to find yourself looking at them same briars the very next night...

Nite ch Englishprides Carolina Jasmine
Bobby Williams-803-669-7443

Old Post 03-17-2010 12:21 AM
englishpride is offline Click Here to See the Profile for englishpride Click here to Send englishpride a Private Message Click Here to Email englishpride Find more posts by englishpride Add englishpride to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BWSupplies
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by englishpride
S.C. Briars,snakes,briars,crawl to your dog more briars run into a beaver lake its thick with briars dodge the cotton mouths just made it out of the lake time to crawl again threw the briars just run up on a rattler (need to buy new boxers just ruined these)made it to the dog now got the joy of turning around and doing it all over again make sure you go around the rattler,now your lost the dog is pulling you threw the briars your all cut up losing alot of blood if your cell phone had signal you would call 911 to come air lift you out.made it to a highway 5 miles from your truck telling yourself if i dont quit coon hunting all together then i promise i will never come in this hole again,just to find yourself looking at them same briars the very next night...
Congare Swamp!!! Been There, Done That!!!! You Can Have It!!

bwsupplies@aol.com
704-791-7751
36479 NC HWY 49
New London, NC, 28127
President of the SBA
Member of the BBOA & BBCHA
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Backwoods-Supplies/167389623298613

Old Post 03-17-2010 12:24 AM
BWSupplies is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BWSupplies Click here to Send BWSupplies a Private Message Click Here to Email BWSupplies Find more posts by BWSupplies Add BWSupplies to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chadf
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by BWSupplies
They say everything's tougher in Alaska!

Its dang hard if not impossible to tree a coon in alaska.

Actually they don't have coons up here.
I've lived and hunted NC, FL, MS, LA and have hunted SC, GA, AL,TX. Of those the gulf coast of MS was the worst to hunt. Bad swamps briars and just plain thick not to mention there's really no agriculture on the coast so the coon can be thin esp on state land.

Old Post 03-17-2010 02:11 AM
chadf is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chadf Click here to Send chadf a Private Message Click Here to Email chadf Find more posts by chadf Add chadf to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
john garr
UKC Forum Member

has to be north missouri, you get charlie horses in your legs from walking and a stiff neck from looking in all those trees and a sore back packing all those coon out.

sorry guys just couldnt resist.

660-342-1311

Last edited by john garr on 03-18-2010 at 02:33 PM

Old Post 03-17-2010 02:46 AM
john garr is offline Click Here to See the Profile for john garr Click here to Send john garr a Private Message Click Here to Email john garr Find more posts by john garr Add john garr to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
harper english
UKC Forum Member

any where in the deep south with swamps and gators give me the hills and hollers of the appalachian mtns anyday

Old Post 03-17-2010 03:15 AM
harper english is offline Click Here to See the Profile for harper english Click here to Send harper english a Private Message Click Here to Email harper english Find more posts by harper english Add harper english to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
truly
Banned

MN is definitely one of the easier places to hunt. We do have some bad spots- big swamps, bluffs, etc that some guys won't hunt and some of the rest of us like it that way. But the one terrain that I stay away from as much as possible is floating bogs. IMO you gotta be about plumb crazy to go deep into a floating bog on a regular basis. I hunt alone a lot and in some big crazy areas, spots that many are afraid to go into alone, but I would quit tomorrow if I had to hunt around floating bogs.

Old Post 03-17-2010 03:48 AM
truly is offline Click Here to See the Profile for truly Click here to Send truly a Private Message Find more posts by truly Add truly to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thickcoon
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by truly
MN is definitely one of the easier places to hunt. We do have some bad spots- big swamps, bluffs, etc that some guys won't hunt and some of the rest of us like it that way. But the one terrain that I stay away from as much as possible is floating bogs. IMO you gotta be about plumb crazy to go deep into a floating bog on a regular basis. I hunt alone a lot and in some big crazy areas, spots that many are afraid to go into alone, but I would quit tomorrow if I had to hunt around floating bogs.

the faribault swamp can get ugly! also moonen marsh in owatonna if youv hunted out there. they lost somebody out there at owatonnas last hunt

Old Post 03-17-2010 04:47 AM
thickcoon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thickcoon Click here to Send thickcoon a Private Message Click Here to Email thickcoon Find more posts by thickcoon Add thickcoon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
coondawg_hunter
UKC Forum Member

gracious sakes, i am so glad that i live in north central pa, this place is coonheaven by far, maybe because of all the agriculture here! do we have rattlesnakes? you bet we do! we have those real big timbers that pack a big punch with those jaws! these big bruisers eliminate 75% of my training area during the warm months because i refuse to run my dogs there, and that is the southside of rte 49! tommy knapp (roverdog) knows what area i am talking about! 10% of this area is highway, and that leaves me with a minute 15% of area to train my dogs! that don't leave me much, but i guess it could be worse! i'll take that 15% and be happy! my hounds turned out top notch! i didn't mention that i live trapped coon in snake country and turned them loose in my 15% area i new was safe for the hounds! hope this helps!

Old Post 03-17-2010 09:59 AM
coondawg_hunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for coondawg_hunter Click here to Send coondawg_hunter a Private Message Click Here to Email coondawg_hunter Find more posts by coondawg_hunter Add coondawg_hunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
richtaber
UKC Forum Member

New York State certainly has quite a variety of terrain too. Where I live in Central New York, southeast of Syracuse, we have some, but not huge numbers of coons. We have relatively steep terrain, some farmland, and some swampland. The far western end of NY State has more open farmland and more coons. I really like running dogs here from March till about December, when we lock down with ice and snow. So I would say on a scale of 1 to 10 hard hunting scale, with 1 being fabulous and 10 the worst, we are at about a five, not the easiest andnot the hardest. I did not like living in west central Georgia years ago on the Fort Benning Army Reservation, with swamps, gators, and all kinds of things that bite you, eat you, sting you, and poison you. We also have real nice running weather during the summer, when even on really hot days it still usually gets down into the 60's at night.
Now we do have those long winters, deep snow, and bone cracking cold when we don't do much hunting for about 3-4 months.

Old Post 03-17-2010 09:49 PM
richtaber is offline Click Here to See the Profile for richtaber Click here to Send richtaber a Private Message Click Here to Email richtaber Find more posts by richtaber Add richtaber to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
WattsFlatsRedbo
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by richtaber
New York State certainly has quite a variety of terrain too. Where I live in Central New York, southeast of Syracuse, we have some, but not huge numbers of coons. We have relatively steep terrain, some farmland, and some swampland. The far western end of NY State has more open farmland and more coons. I really like running dogs here from March till about December, when we lock down with ice and snow. So I would say on a scale of 1 to 10 hard hunting scale, with 1 being fabulous and 10 the worst, we are at about a five, not the easiest andnot the hardest. I did not like living in west central Georgia years ago on the Fort Benning Army Reservation, with swamps, gators, and all kinds of things that bite you, eat you, sting you, and poison you. We also have real nice running weather during the summer, when even on really hot days it still usually gets down into the 60's at night.
Now we do have those long winters, deep snow, and bone cracking cold when we don't do much hunting for about 3-4 months.

I live in Chautauqua Co. About as far Western Ny as you can get. I have noticed we seem to have more coon than other parts of Ny that I've hunted. We have it pretty good as far as coonhunting goes around here. Over 10'000 acres of stateland to hunt within 20mins from my house. Mostly nice mature open hardwoods loaded with coon. Of course we still have a little of everything as far as terrain goes. Your welcome to come down here for a hunt anytime you like.

Home#(814)664-9694
Cell#(716)338-7372
Home of:
(R.I.P.) GRNITECH CH 'PR' WATTS FLATS FATTY PATTY
(2006 Overall Southern Redbone Champion)
(GrNtCh winner and High scoring dog Sat night with 1100+/75-)
(2005 Qualified for UKC World)
(2006 Qualified for UKC World)
(2006 Autumn Oaks GrNtCh cast winner)
(PKC Money Winner)

GRNITECH GRCH 'PR' WATTS FLATS JUMP'EM UP JEB HTX-3 (DNA-P)
( Out of Patty and Lash's Rowdy)
(2008 Qualified for UKC World)
(1st Place GrNt and Overall High-Scoring Dog at the 2009 PA Governers Cup)
(1st place NtCh and Overall High-Scoring Dog at the 2008 NYS Battle of the Breeds Hunt)
(1st place Reg. Ny State Spring Championship)
(3rd place Reg. 2008 National Redbone Days, Fri night)
(2nd place Reg. BBOA Zone hunt)
(PKC Money Winner)

(R.I.P.) GRNITECH 'PR' WATTS FLATS MUDDY CREEK MAGGIE HTX-2 (DNA-P)
(Out of Jeb and Hiedi)
(2013 Qualified for World Championship)
(2015 Qualified for World Championship)
(2013 Ohio Gov Cup- NiteCh winner and Overall opposite sex winner)
(2014 National Redbone Days High-scoring female and 3rd place overall Thurs night)
(PKC Money Winner)

+ Upcoming:
'PR' WATTS FLATS STATELINE SALLY
(Maggie X Moon)

Old Post 03-18-2010 12:31 AM
WattsFlatsRedbo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for WattsFlatsRedbo Click here to Send WattsFlatsRedbo a Private Message Click Here to Email WattsFlatsRedbo Find more posts by WattsFlatsRedbo Add WattsFlatsRedbo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pedigofarm
UKC Forum Member

WVa!!!!!!
Love the state, love the people, but screw the hunting!!!!!!!!

Old Post 03-18-2010 12:36 AM
pedigofarm is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pedigofarm Click here to Send pedigofarm a Private Message Click Here to Email pedigofarm Find more posts by pedigofarm Add pedigofarm to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hollaback maine
UKC Forum Member

Maine

Maine has to be at the top.brutal cold temps,deep snow,thick green growths.big swamps that have no axcess,tons of off game to tease young dogs.especially bull moose all tarseled out in the fall.porcipine's take the life of dogs every year.bears that bay up can be a challenge that some young dogs never forget.cell phone reception here is how horror movies end.thats why there is only 2 clubs in the state.

Old Post 03-18-2010 12:52 AM
hollaback maine is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hollaback maine Click here to Send hollaback maine a Private Message Find more posts by hollaback maine Add hollaback maine to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hollaback maine
UKC Forum Member

Maine

flying insects are a whole nother story,up here they ?#$& turkeys flat footed.

Old Post 03-18-2010 12:55 AM
hollaback maine is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hollaback maine Click here to Send hollaback maine a Private Message Find more posts by hollaback maine Add hollaback maine to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote