UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Your thoughts on this one...
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Your thoughts on this one...

Theoretical?

I once had a line of dogs I bred...some were 5 generations and other were 7 generations bred in my back yard...some were inbred and some were linebred...I bred for all the right things...

When I started out my goal was to breed gritty dogs with lots of hunt, tracking and locating ability and sticking no matter what...

Over the years and generations my dogs hunted harder and more for themselves than hunting with me...sometimes to the point of dying from heat exhaustion if not stopped or called in...and grit to the point of reckless abandon...

This happened through selective breeding but never thought it would intensify over generations...the idea was to improve percentages of great dogs produced...

So one of the learnings when breeding dogs...it is not only what the dog is...but also what is in the dog that reproduces...

So...taking extra care of my bloodline and not wanting to introduce outside blood to tone my dogs down because of potential negative traits popping up with future breeding...I was hesitant doing this...so what if I went another route...hindsight is 20/20...I don’t know if it were the right answer but I would have tried it...

Before my question...since the earlier breedings produced dogs that were easier handling and they related to the later generations...

Question...

Would it be better to outcross or would it have been better to have stored some semen from an earlier generation and used it to tone the future generations down?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-22-2019 02:45 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
trsizemore
UKC Forum Member

line breeding

you breed to the oldest blood you can find breed without the faults and cull hard next generation cull harder the next time

Old Post 02-22-2019 03:03 AM
trsizemore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for trsizemore Click here to Send trsizemore a Private Message Click Here to Email trsizemore Find more posts by trsizemore Add trsizemore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rocketman55
UKC Forum Member

Well Im no expert but I have also maintained one particular line of hounds for 40 plus years. I'm of the opinion that you would have been better off to have done both, collected seman and made some outcrosses.

I say that because I always made one outcross and then doubled that hound back over an uncle or grandparent. I never collected the two to three outstanding hounds I raised from those crosses but now today I sure wish I would have.

I'm sure there are breeders out there much smarter than I but that is how I done it. I did have one dog that placed two years in a row, once top ten and once top 15 of the Xkc world hunt, and man do I wish today I would have collected him. He proved he could hold his own with some of the very best in the country.

Glouster, Ohio 45732
Home To:
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Hang'em High Holly
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Rockets Top Gun.
Gr.Nt.Ch.Hooper Ridge Rocket
Gr.Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Dolly
Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Queen
Nt.Ch Raw Dawg Rowdy
PR Tree Banging Buddy
HOOPER RIDGE ENGLISH-POUND FOR POUND THEY ARE ONE TOUGH HOUND!!!!

Old Post 02-22-2019 04:30 AM
Rocketman55 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rocketman55 Click here to Send Rocketman55 a Private Message Click Here to Email Rocketman55 Find more posts by Rocketman55 Add Rocketman55 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DMW
UKC Forum Member

I've been reading and studying about dog breeding genetics for the last couple years and I'm still pretty lost... I have figured out there is never a perfect dog or a perfect cross. All you can do is try and increase the odds in your favor.

...."Wilkes' Zoom".... (Straight off Dohoney's Tom Horn)
...."Wilkes' Brooke".... (Sackett Jr., Slow Talking Buzz bred)
morganwilkes1.wixsite.com/wilkeswalkers

Old Post 02-22-2019 04:47 PM
DMW is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DMW Click here to Send DMW a Private Message Visit DMW's homepage! Find more posts by DMW Add DMW to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

I read that dogs are the easiest animal to manipulate their genes. Its how we went from a wolf to a hairless chihuahua. If you do not want that much drive then I don't think going back before the problem is the only answer. I don't think that breeding those dogs into your now more aggressive dogs will work as fast as you need it to. I would start breeding the dogs you have now that show all the traits you want except for that amount of drive back to as close as you can get to the original stock. I think that will get you there faster.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 02-23-2019 07:02 AM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote