UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > When does that young pup become a keeper.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

When does that young pup become a keeper.

Like many of you out there, I generally start my own pups. Seems like when they are small and your taking all those cute pictures of them. There are a lot of dreams taking place on the pups future. What factor or factors takes place for you to realize you might have a keeper and what factors take place for you to feel that keeper. Might live up to some of the dreams you had about it.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-20-2019 05:19 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RedSealKennels
UKC Forum Member

When that pup treeing it's own coon consistantly and seeing the coon, Isnt running trash ( at least not regularly, I dont expect a dog to never run off game once in a blue moon). Also it has to have a good handle on it. Up until that point all bets are off. It may be 2-3years old before I decide it's a keeper. By that age it should be a well started dog close to being finished. If I cant take it to the woods and be confident it will show me a coon when I turn it loose by 2-3years old it's not one I'm going to keep.

Old Post 02-20-2019 06:22 PM
RedSealKennels is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RedSealKennels Click here to Send RedSealKennels a Private Message Click Here to Email RedSealKennels Find more posts by RedSealKennels Add RedSealKennels to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TylerOSU
UKC Forum Member

I like pups to show several different characteristics that im looking for,

1). They must fly around the woods well
2). Have heart and do whatever they are doing at the best of their ability 100% of the time.
3). Want to please and have some brains about themselves.

If they show me these things I can help mold them. You cant put hunt, try, or brains into a dog but you can always take it out with electric. You just have to know where to put all that energy and put it towards a positive ending!

Team Mafia
2022 UKC World Champion
2019-2022 UKC World Qualifier
2019 Ok Prohunt Semi-finalist
2019 Spring SS Top 20
20,21, and 23 OK State PKC Champion
2020 Spring SS Top 7
2019-2023 PKC National Qualifier
2020-2023 TOC Qualifier
2020 UKC Top 100
2022 UKC Top 100
2023 JOY Super Hunt Champion
2022 UKC WORLDCH PKC PCH CH GRNTCH3 "Get Gone Jenna"
DOB- 9/30/2017

Old Post 02-20-2019 06:47 PM
TylerOSU is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TylerOSU Click here to Send TylerOSU a Private Message Click Here to Email TylerOSU Find more posts by TylerOSU Add TylerOSU to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

I don't really think of any of them as keepers. I will keep hunting them as long as I have them. I will most likely sell them at some point unless I don't feel they are something worth while then I just cull um. I don't need a pet.

Old Post 02-20-2019 07:07 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

6-8 mts old I know if they are keepers or not... and they don't get sold if not keepers... But they also get hunted .

Old Post 02-20-2019 09:50 PM
CHEWBACH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHEWBACH Click here to Send CHEWBACH a Private Message Find more posts by CHEWBACH Add CHEWBACH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

All my life I have dogs that were keepers till I found something better that I could afford, lol.

Old Post 02-20-2019 10:22 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

The pups are on a progressive curve...at 10 weeks I keep the 4 I like best...at 4 months I am down to three pups...at 6 months I am down to 2 pups...at ten months I am sure if I am keeping one or both...at 18 months I will know if one is worthy of breeding in the future or not...

Old Post 02-21-2019 02:16 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

I hate to admit it, but by the time a pup is 6-8 months old I've gotten so aggrevated with them, that it's hard for them to ever outshine and overcome my temper. I've had to put up with half a year of pen barking, poop stomping, and bowl chewing, and I'm looking for an excuse, sometimes any excuse, to do something different. I really think I need to find a partner that has patience and enjoys puppies, who will send them to me when they're ready to roll.

Old Post 02-21-2019 02:49 AM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

I don't think I'm as picky as some on here. When a pup can tree coons on a regular basis he's a keeper. But he's got to stay treed. And he's got to be accurate. And he's got to go hunting. And he's got to be able to move a track. Maybe I'm a little pickier than I thought.

Old Post 02-21-2019 02:58 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

Pups

To be a keeper they have to be equal or better than my best dog and must be something that I'd want to raise a pup out of in the future.

Old Post 02-21-2019 03:07 AM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
I don't think I'm as picky as some on here. When a pup can tree coons on a regular basis he's a keeper. But he's got to stay treed. And he's got to be accurate. And he's got to go hunting. And he's got to be able to move a track. Maybe I'm a little pickier than I thought.
That's the way I see it!!

Old Post 02-21-2019 02:28 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Ashbaugh
UKC Forum Member

I am not that picky.....I can't afford to be. I think for me its easier to find things that make it NOT a keeper.

If a dog is good in the kennel, doesn't bark, will go hunting a decent bit BY ITSELF and get treed, I am pretty happy. You would be stunned how hard it is for me to find these things.

Ron Ashbaugh
CROOKED FOOT KENNELS

Old Post 02-21-2019 09:10 PM
Ron Ashbaugh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Ashbaugh Click here to Send Ron Ashbaugh a Private Message Find more posts by Ron Ashbaugh Add Ron Ashbaugh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Not nearly as stunned as you might think!! Lol

Old Post 02-21-2019 09:31 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
berger
UKC Forum Member

Once there started they aren't keepers anymore.

319-201-8445

Old Post 02-21-2019 10:01 PM
berger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for berger Click here to Send berger a Private Message Find more posts by berger Add berger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DMW
UKC Forum Member

A dog I like, a dog I have fun hunting, a dog I am proud to own, and a dog that makes me happy. It takes very special dogs to accomplish these things, I'm fortunate to have owned a few. That's my keepers.

...."Wilkes' Zoom".... (Straight off Dohoney's Tom Horn)
...."Wilkes' Brooke".... (Sackett Jr., Slow Talking Buzz bred)
morganwilkes1.wixsite.com/wilkeswalkers

Old Post 02-21-2019 11:12 PM
DMW is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DMW Click here to Send DMW a Private Message Visit DMW's homepage! Find more posts by DMW Add DMW to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by DMW
A dog I like, a dog I have fun hunting, a dog I am proud to own, and a dog that makes me happy. It takes very special dogs to accomplish these things, I'm fortunate to have owned a few. That's my keepers.

I like what you said...I feel the same way...

Old Post 02-21-2019 11:26 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Moore
UKC Forum Member

Keeper??

I'm sure we all have different criteria to determine what a keeper is and at what age do we decide if it is. In my old age I have gotten much more picky. At one time, I wasn't nearly so hard to please. You can tell a whole lot about a pup/dog while in the kennel. Does it bark all the time, does it crap everywhere and slip and slide in it, does it pace all the time, is it ill towards the other dogs in the kennel, is it shy??? That's just a few things. These things alone doesn't mean it won't be a keeper but it's a pretty good guideline to go by. Just because a dog has good kennel manors still doesn't mean it will make the grade. I usually have a good idea to whether I want to keep one by a year old. If you have given it ample hunting time it should have shown you something to this point. Some take a little longer but usually they will have shown some interest and have some manors. Know what to look for and it makes your job easier. Course there's always that one that no one wants and turns out to be a real wiz bang, LOL! That's usually the exception and not the rule though.

Old Post 02-22-2019 04:18 AM
Ron Moore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Moore Click here to Send Ron Moore a Private Message Click Here to Email Ron Moore Find more posts by Ron Moore Add Ron Moore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rocketman55
UKC Forum Member

Keeper for me

Is a dog that somewhere between 12 and 18 months of age it starts showing me exceptional ability in some of, (if not all) these areas.

Nose, ability to strike a track, not much junk, track speed, hunt, quickness to locate, and accuracy.

If I see a dog with many (if not all) the above mentioned abilities, It is probably a keeper.

Glouster, Ohio 45732
Home To:
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Hang'em High Holly
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Rockets Top Gun.
Gr.Nt.Ch.Hooper Ridge Rocket
Gr.Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Dolly
Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Queen
Nt.Ch Raw Dawg Rowdy
PR Tree Banging Buddy
HOOPER RIDGE ENGLISH-POUND FOR POUND THEY ARE ONE TOUGH HOUND!!!!

Old Post 02-22-2019 04:40 AM
Rocketman55 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rocketman55 Click here to Send Rocketman55 a Private Message Click Here to Email Rocketman55 Find more posts by Rocketman55 Add Rocketman55 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

I would say they become keepers whenever you are satisfied with there actions. Everyone is different on what they expect a pup to do at different ages. What I consider acceptable actions at 9 months old you may not.

Old Post 02-22-2019 01:33 PM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

When I have to force myself to take a pup hunting instead of looking forward to taking it ... I'm done with it no matter what it's doing!

Old Post 02-22-2019 03:18 PM
fatherof4
UKC Forum Member

I don't expect perfection over night. They are dogs and they all progress differently. As long as I can see progression each time we go to the woods then I know I have something to work with. And as I watch the progression unfold, then I wait on the switches to start clicking. If you know dogs very well at all then you know what I'm talking about. And last but not least, we need to click. For example, I can walk up to a tree with my old dog and if it's slick, all I need to do is tell him. "It's slick, I can't find it" and he will go on. And be able to call him of a tree across water. The dog needs to understand me and I need to be able to understand some of what he or she does. I don't like those stubborn, rattle headed, glazed eyed kind, although I have been beat by many of them, I like to hunt with my buddy. They are not just tools to me.

Ch GrNiteCh. Ch. Ramey's Oakwood Woody
PR Ramey's Crockett Rose
NITECH CH PR Hardin-Williams Spider
PR Ramey's Lute

Old Post 02-22-2019 06:02 PM
fatherof4 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fatherof4 Click here to Send fatherof4 a Private Message Click Here to Email fatherof4 Find more posts by fatherof4 Add fatherof4 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RC-Abby
UKC Forum Member

Bruce I'm bored. Was rereading old posts and came across this. So here is what I am looking at. My 2nd pup in 42 years. So you know I'm a pro at training.LoL! I have read all pro's and con's does and don'ts on this board. Normally throw out 75% and keep the other 25% as a asset of knowledge for training. What I have come up with is intelligence. Remember that! I know nothing about bloodlines pedigrees champions or any of that stuff. I hunt with culls. Read that definition of a cull on here. LoL!

When we went to look at 4 month old pup that I found in the classifieds I saw intelligence. Owner has pup in a dog box in truck. Gives me a sales pitch shows me the puppy papers. More sales pitch and shows me pup will lead. Water puddles everywhere. Owner starts slopping through them with pup on the lead. Pup stayed out of every puddle. When they return pup is dry owner is wet to knees. In my mind at that time. I knew this pup is trainable.
I have left her be a pup she kennels with my 8 yr old redbone female. In a 25 by 50 pen. Pen has ropes hinging from tree old shoes rubber livestock feed pans. 2 times a day she does the livestock chores with me. Caught on to the routine. Knows not to bother the cats until they are done eating. Then they all belong on top of the skidsteer loader.
Oh yea from the start she ran track with the old dogs. At 4.5 mouths started a track that her and the old dogs finished. Has helped track and tree several coon during our kill season. I haven't pushed her hard on hunting but to most I don't hunt hard. She is a pup with a lot of want to learn in her. She will be a year old at sweetcorn time. We will have a lot of fun training then. I plant $200 to $300 dollars worth of sweetcorn throughout my corn fields. This makes for some real fun. And the neighbors like it also.
Sorry little off topic. But without the intelligence I don't think she would be a keeper.
Randi

Old Post 03-10-2019 07:42 PM
RC-Abby is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RC-Abby Click here to Send RC-Abby a Private Message Find more posts by RC-Abby Add RC-Abby to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ole hoss
UKC Forum Member

When the wife sees it!! So then I have no choice but to make something out of it no matter how much I hate it lol

Old Post 03-10-2019 10:04 PM
ole hoss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ole hoss Click here to Send ole hoss a Private Message Click Here to Email ole hoss Find more posts by ole hoss Add ole hoss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote