UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Cage coon
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Sgraves
UKC Forum Member

Cage coon

Haven’t messed with starting many pups. I like them starting to tree on their own so I can hunt the hair off them. Some will say no cage coon , just keep taking them to the woods an if they have it it will come out. I think they should know what their after before they go. Looking for the best proven way. I know all dogs are different. Also know to much cage coon is not good either. Really like this pup an want to start out on the right foot. Don’t want no pissing match on this subject. So you old turds be nice an share your tried an true wisdom.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-20-2019 03:48 PM
Sgraves is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sgraves Click here to Send Sgraves a Private Message Click Here to Email Sgraves Find more posts by Sgraves Add Sgraves to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

No artificial stimulation.....
Just takeM to the woods .
It's really that simple, if the dog is any account you'll see it.
That's my "best proven way, and I'm sticking too it .

Old Post 10-20-2019 04:07 PM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MUSKY
UKC Forum Member

I had a buddy that when he had a litter of puppies would give them a dead coon for a chew toy, they would play tug a war with it and in a matter of hours would basically destroy it. He never had any problems getting his pups to know what a coon was. Usually the first few times in the woods they would come on coon scent they would follow, it was imprinted in them from a young age, I tried it, it works. Make sure to keep them wormed out good if you try it though.

Home of:
A couple old plugs

Old Post 10-20-2019 04:50 PM
MUSKY is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MUSKY Click here to Send MUSKY a Private Message Click Here to Email MUSKY Find more posts by MUSKY Add MUSKY to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
toe cutter
UKC Forum Member

only thing a caged coon is for is to turn it loose for your dog to get after it. make a dog want a coon , the rest is bred in.

Old Post 10-21-2019 12:09 AM
toe cutter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for toe cutter Click here to Send toe cutter a Private Message Find more posts by toe cutter Add toe cutter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
daryl wyland
UKC Forum Member

i agree with you

quote:
Originally posted by Sgraves
I think they should know what their after before they go.

I like to use Tucks Coon Scent
$14 FOR A 8 OZ BOTTLE
SEND TO
TERRY TUCKER
26201 D DR SO
ALBION MI 49224

with scent you don't have to worry about catching a coon and finding the perfect spot to let it go than it goes straight up the 1st tree it comes to or runs the opposites way!
there are just to many things out of your control!!

This is why I like to use scent your in total control of the training process

I never use a fresh hide or road kill because I don't want a pup hunting for bloody dead stuff!

I use one of them canvas covered fetch dummies I tie a string on it than I sprits some coon scent on it
than I lay a track ...I don't make it a very long track 50-100 yards to start you can run it across logs bump the sides of trees
I always like to put a sharp turn or two in it so I can watch a pup over run the track and have to come back and find the track
at the end of the track I will sprits some scent up the side of the tree to a point higher than the pup stands to get them stretched up the tree

The 1st time I wait 10-15 minutes after I lay scent before I the pup gets to work it (you want the track to age a little) so don't rush if the pup dose good wait longer the next training session!

lead the pup into the area where the track starts once the pup shows intrest you can cut it loose

if they don't bark up the tree don't worry that will come in time

don't talk to the pup while its working or missing the track let it come natural

only talk to it when it hits the right tree
video
https://vimeo.com/238865311

with scent if you want to lay another track that day or next you don't need to catch another coon or three Ha Ha

Remember anyone can get just about any dog to bark up a tree at something hanging above it but we are not training sight hounds!

GrandChampion"PR"Smooth Talking Gypsy

......For Ever Run'n & Tree'n In The "CoonHound Heavens"!......
"GrandNiteChampion GrandChampion 'PR'Smooth Talking Sammy"

Last edited by daryl wyland on 10-22-2019 at 04:22 PM

Old Post 10-21-2019 01:51 AM
daryl wyland is offline Click Here to See the Profile for daryl wyland Click here to Send daryl wyland a Private Message Click Here to Email daryl wyland Find more posts by daryl wyland Add daryl wyland to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gone walkin
UKC Forum Member

Cage coon

I do basically what Daryl does but with a cage coon. I keep them for a few days to a week depending on weather. The other thing i have found is the pup can get wise and follow your scent doing it. So we started using a tractor to pull with so we weren't leaving a human track on the ground. Sometimes pouring some water on the coon helps when it's been dry too.

Old Post 10-21-2019 09:51 AM
gone walkin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gone walkin Click here to Send gone walkin a Private Message Find more posts by gone walkin Add gone walkin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Ashbaugh
UKC Forum Member

I turn loose a lot of coons for a dog I am starting alone. I do my best to set it up so that it gets progressively more difficult. It allows me to have a controlled situation where I KNOW I am turning a pup loose into a place where there is a hot track. I KNOW where the track is at, I KNOW what tree the coon is up (sometimes) and I can be pretty sure the pup is not junking when running those tracks.

I might be in the minority here, but I need to know a pup can tree a turn out coon before I am willing to walk around with it in the dark. IF I turn loose 10 coons and the sucker can't tree them, how in the world can I believe its going to just go out and strike and run and tree a track by itself?

If you have the $$$ time and energy to raise 10 pups a year, for sure you will find those that just go out and do it. Id say the majority need a little more help and influence to get going alone. If i invest in a pup for a year I want to give it every chance possible to succeed and I can't see how giving it hot tracks can hurt.

Ron Ashbaugh
CROOKED FOOT KENNELS

Old Post 10-21-2019 01:14 PM
Ron Ashbaugh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Ashbaugh Click here to Send Ron Ashbaugh a Private Message Find more posts by Ron Ashbaugh Add Ron Ashbaugh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote