UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Dry shod boots
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
pinehillkennels
UKC Forum Member

Dry shod boots

I would like to hear some reviews on this boot.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-09-2019 02:14 AM
pinehillkennels is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pinehillkennels Click here to Send pinehillkennels a Private Message Click Here to Email pinehillkennels Find more posts by pinehillkennels Add pinehillkennels to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

I don't know first hand but I was told that the guy that started Muck boots sold out and had a no compete clause in the contract. That was when the Muck quality went downhill. Now the time has run out on the no compete and he has started Dry Shod Boot Co. I don't think that they have been out long enough to see how durable they will be but they are warm, light and comfortable just like the first Mucks were.

Old Post 10-09-2019 01:48 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jay brademeyer
UKC Forum Member

I've got a pair .. they seem to be good

"Building on a solid foundation starts on the bottom side"

Old Post 10-09-2019 08:49 PM
jay brademeyer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jay brademeyer Click here to Send jay brademeyer a Private Message Click Here to Email jay brademeyer Find more posts by jay brademeyer Add jay brademeyer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Truth
UKC Forum Member

Dryshod

I bought a pair and so far I like them. They are wide enough and have good arch support. They fit nice to the foot and allow stretch where needed. Orange neoprene is comfortable. All rubber boots sweat a little in hotter weather.

TRUTH

Old Post 10-11-2019 01:56 AM
Truth is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Truth Click here to Send Truth a Private Message Find more posts by Truth Add Truth to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J.H. Sills
UKC Forum Member

Where are they made?

Old Post 10-11-2019 01:31 PM
J.H. Sills is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J.H. Sills Click here to Send J.H. Sills a Private Message Click Here to Email J.H. Sills Find more posts by J.H. Sills Add J.H. Sills to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John B.Dalton
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by J.H. Sills
Where are they made?

Overseas where 98 out of 100 pair are made..We make our own chaps in house and would be nice to find a american made pair that will work for the coonhunting market.

Old Post 10-11-2019 04:54 PM
John B.Dalton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John B.Dalton Click here to Send John B.Dalton a Private Message Visit John B.Dalton's homepage! Find more posts by John B.Dalton Add John B.Dalton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pinehillkennels
UKC Forum Member

Are the the same design on the inside of the boot like the mucks were ?

Old Post 10-11-2019 05:55 PM
pinehillkennels is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pinehillkennels Click here to Send pinehillkennels a Private Message Click Here to Email pinehillkennels Find more posts by pinehillkennels Add pinehillkennels to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John B.Dalton
UKC Forum Member

They are not as loose on my heel as mucks were. But they are still not as comfortable as a Dan's Froggers either..We sale right many dry shods because we stock the 11 inch boot that work well with big calves and just a bit lighter in weight makes the combination appealing to a bunch of guys.

Old Post 10-11-2019 06:24 PM
John B.Dalton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John B.Dalton Click here to Send John B.Dalton a Private Message Visit John B.Dalton's homepage! Find more posts by John B.Dalton Add John B.Dalton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pinehillkennels
UKC Forum Member

If a man was to buy a pair & use bama socks what would you recommend on sizing?

Old Post 10-11-2019 09:38 PM
John B.Dalton
UKC Forum Member

I would go up a size if you want to wear the bamas..They fit pretty much true to size.

Old Post 10-12-2019 02:12 AM
J.H. Sills
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by John B.Dalton
Overseas where 98 out of 100 pair are made..We make our own chaps in house and would be nice to find a american made pair that will work for the coonhunting market.

Have you tried, Baffin, Kamik, or Dunlop boots?

Old Post 10-12-2019 07:01 AM
J.H. Sills is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J.H. Sills Click here to Send J.H. Sills a Private Message Click Here to Email J.H. Sills Find more posts by J.H. Sills Add J.H. Sills to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Mr. Sills, John as been pretty sport on with his description of the boots. I use to sell the Dunlop boots a few years ago when Dan's offered them. They were not a bad boot. They just seemed not to have the popularity of other boots and Dan's quit carrying them.

I think a lot of the newer boots like the Froggers is the results of companies that want to market their own boot working with boot companies overseas and coming up with a boot that fits their description. Dan's did a good job with the Frogger boot. But the thing I have found with the manufacture of boots over the years. Just about all of them has a bad run of boots for a very short period of time where the glue or sealing process is just not right. That has given a lot of boots a bad name which they never recover from.

Also for me and a lot of people today, is the fact I have large calf's and ankles. It is more important to me the size of the upper part of the boot and the size of the ankle area than it is the foot area. I only wish I had normal to thin legs like I once had and I would wear nothing but the LaCrosse non insulated burly. Also called the Grange Boot.

Old Post 10-12-2019 12:38 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J.H. Sills
UKC Forum Member

Bruce, Thanks again for the good info. I’m on a quest to find a great rubber or neoprene boot that’s not made in China.

I’m from southeast Georgia but have been living in the Rockies for the last 17 years. I Coon hunt about 30 nights a year and have had a pair of Quattro boots and Yoder waders for several years that have done great.

From late November through March I’m hunting lion and bobcat in ankle to knee deep, powdery snow in extreme cold temps. My buddies all hunt in waterproof leather boots with nylon gaiters. I’ve used this combo, but hoped try something like the Dunlop Puroform Explorer with a deep and knobby tread and quality sole. The Kamik Icebreaker was another one I’m looking at. The adjustable collar with the ability to tighten up around the calf would be ideal. That might eliminate the need for gaiters. Wanted something lightweight too. Terrain wise we’re in anything from rolling hills to climbing in cliffs. Need something that fits snug and I’ll put an orthotic in to take up some extra volume and give arch support.

For personal reasons, I don’t want to buy a Chinese made boot. I don’t mind paying extra for an American made product. Looks like Dunlop and Kamik make some of their lines in the US and Canada. Not sure about Baffin. Thanks for the good advice.

Old Post 10-12-2019 03:02 PM
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Mr. Sills after sharing what you have. My Recommendation would be to get yourself a pair of the Dunlop boots as you described. If you wear them a few times and you like the feel of them. Then decide which style chap you would like on them and have one of the companies such as Dans or Johnny Dalton put the style chap on them you like.

One of my favorite hunting areas was in SE GA around Nahunta with my old buddy Doug Brand.

Cecil Pittman and Buddy D. had some great spots but Nahunta area was my favorite.

Last edited by Bruce m. Conkey on 10-12-2019 at 03:37 PM

Old Post 10-12-2019 03:30 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John B.Dalton
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by J.H. Sills
Have you tried, Baffin, Kamik, or Dunlop boots?

We have actually chapped all three..Kamik were decent summer time boot but the ones with a liner you put in them i wasnt sure how accepted they would be..Baffins I never wore them but customer didnt send them back so taking it he was pleased ..Dunlops are very nice..With a chap on their better boots but you are looking around the three hundred dollar mark by time chapping and shipping was calculated...Bruce is right also..All boots are being custom made for companies but overseas.

Old Post 10-12-2019 08:11 PM
Dwils
UKC Forum Member

Local farm store carries them so I bought a pair for 90$ . Very similar to muck boots but better quality . Like them so far for cattle chores and hunting

NtCh PKCCh Skuna River Faith
NtCh PKC Ch Catch This
Silver Ch River Bend Lacey

Old Post 10-13-2019 08:49 PM
Dwils is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dwils Click here to Send Dwils a Private Message Click Here to Email Dwils Find more posts by Dwils Add Dwils to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
WalkerPower21
UKC Forum Member

Re: Dry shod boots

quote:
Originally posted by pinehillkennels
I would like to hear some reviews on this boot.

I recently purchased Wicked Yoder chap with Dryshod the boot is very comfortable, have not actually worn through a winter yet but IMO they will keep warm an dry...THE CON's ive noticed! SLICK BOTTOM!! be extra cautious in wetter area's / conditions! Ive heard of people placing small sheet metal screws in the underside during winter, and with the construction of the bottoms this is very feasible!! This Boot it quality but HEAVY! Overall I like what I have received, quality built product that I hope holds solid with daily usage!

My biggest ?? on boots is how long does one expect them to last with 4-7 nights a week hunting? 1.5yrs? 2-3yrs? IMO one mold would be idle. Most of the boots we see today have multiple layers on the "sole" exterior these are where I see h2o leaks, how long can these companies prolong this exterior lower area from generating small enough cracks? Maybe dip these boots in something after construction?

Old Post 10-19-2019 06:52 PM
WalkerPower21 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for WalkerPower21 Click here to Send WalkerPower21 a Private Message Find more posts by WalkerPower21 Add WalkerPower21 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
WalkerPower21
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by pinehillkennels
If a man was to buy a pair & use bama socks what would you recommend on sizing?

I do this, I would recommend .5 size bigger at least!! That'll be SNUG, so if you want thicker socks with bama's also go maybe a full size bigger!

Old Post 10-19-2019 06:56 PM
WalkerPower21 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for WalkerPower21 Click here to Send WalkerPower21 a Private Message Find more posts by WalkerPower21 Add WalkerPower21 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote