UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > What's a good Accuracy??
Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

Nitehunter2004 I’ll stand by what i said. With a coon seen or not seen. It don’t matter if it’s a den or a tree you can’t shine. You either see it or you don’t. Hunt one for365 days in all weather conditions a dog that can keep a 60% average is a rare thing. The majority don’t have one and most have never seen one.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-30-2018 02:12 PM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

I doubt you know every coon hunter in your county and dang sure don’t know every coon hunter in this county, iv saved up 4 quarters so bring that $1000 and let’s have some fun.

Mr Tim.

Old Post 03-30-2018 03:11 PM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RedSealKennels
UKC Forum Member

To actually get a uniform answer to the percentage a dog is accurate you would need a standard amount of time days/hours a dog is hunted. One person might hunt their dog once a week every other month and have a 70-80percent average. Where as someone hunting 3,4,5 nights a week for a couple months has a 40-50percent average. Is that because the second persons dog is less accurate, or because it had more opportunities to have dens/slick trees?

Old Post 03-30-2018 03:24 PM
RedSealKennels is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RedSealKennels Click here to Send RedSealKennels a Private Message Click Here to Email RedSealKennels Find more posts by RedSealKennels Add RedSealKennels to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

My dog made 2 den trees and I came home last night. Does that mean that she is 0% accurate?

Old Post 03-30-2018 03:27 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
My dog made 2 den trees and I came home last night. Does that mean that she is 0% accurate?

Just means you should had stayed home.

Mr Tim.

Old Post 03-30-2018 03:29 PM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RedSealKennels
UKC Forum Member

If your counting den trees the same as a slick with no coon seen, and basing your accuracy percentage off of 1 night of hunting. Then it could be viewed as 0 percent accuracy.

Old Post 03-30-2018 03:30 PM
RedSealKennels is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RedSealKennels Click here to Send RedSealKennels a Private Message Click Here to Email RedSealKennels Find more posts by RedSealKennels Add RedSealKennels to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

I guess that I need to get.a new dog. I sure do wish that I could find me one of those 90% accurate ones.

Old Post 03-30-2018 03:46 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

I got one female that is 100% accurate guaranteed to have fur in the tree every time.

When the law of the land becomes unjust outlaws will rise to take their place in history.

Old Post 03-30-2018 03:56 PM
Chuck Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chuck Allen Click here to Send Chuck Allen a Private Message Find more posts by Chuck Allen Add Chuck Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
I guess that I need to get.a new dog. I sure do wish that I could find me one of those 90% accurate ones.
Don't shoot her yet Richard. She might be 100% tonight. LOL

Old Post 03-30-2018 04:31 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blueticker
UKC Forum Member

For those that count den trees as slick trees, they spend more time surfing the net than climbing den trees. If your hound trees 60% percent accurate then wouldn't it make since that 60% of the den trees have coon. I can't climb like I did 35 years ago but I did check lots of den trees years ago. Most den trees had coon in them. A young male that I've been hunting is very accurate. I've hunted him since September and I've seen no difference in accuracy all winter. He's above 80% accurate by himself. Getting better at not stopping at slick trees with other hounds. A hound with high accuracy will be a good track dog. Some will be fast on track and some slow but has ability to finish a track.

The Hounds I Enjoyed Hunting:
Dual Gr Natural Smokey River Rebel, A buddy of mine
Gr. Nt Natural Blue Echo ( Gr Nt Quail Ck Jimmy X Nt Ch Natural Blue Bell)
Gr Nt Smokey River Chief's Joe (JBS Chief X Gr Nt Jeans Ruby)
Gr. Nt. Ch. Natural Smokey River Lucy (Chief's Joe X Muggins)
And Many More

Last edited by blueticker on 03-30-2018 at 04:38 PM

Old Post 03-30-2018 04:31 PM
blueticker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blueticker Click here to Send blueticker a Private Message Find more posts by blueticker Add blueticker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OLD TIMER
UKC Forum Member

BLUETICKER

I feel you have the answer 👍

Call it nose or tracking ability but how many times have you read about a hound trailing an old track for a hour or even 30 mintutes?? Why would you? You get more points for tree—but I bet if they would talk to Grandpa or a Great Uncle they would hear more about good track hounds that had a good percentage of game in their trees.

Any time you change the rules, you will have people that will change to fit the rules. Example, softball team I played on had a lot of guys that could hit home runs and then along came a “rule” that you could only hit 2 homeruns a game, any more then that where outs. Guess what, the team had to let those guys go and find guys who could keep the ball in the park. The diamond didn’t change or the equipment. But the players sure did.

The same has happened with the players in the game of nite hunts—just because of the rules.

Old Post 03-30-2018 05:14 PM
OLD TIMER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for OLD TIMER Click Here to Email OLD TIMER Find more posts by OLD TIMER Add OLD TIMER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Accuracy comes from locating ability. Nothing else. Accuracy and trailing ability are two separate traits. People talk about striking trailing and treeing. The most important trait for accuracy is being left out. We need to be breeding for striking, trailing, locating, and treeing. It doesn't matter how well your dog trails and trees if he doesn't have the ability to find the right tree.

Old Post 03-30-2018 05:27 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blueticker
UKC Forum Member

Accuracy comes from a hound that can track a coon or wind a coon and tree at the end of the track. Locating the right tree is finding the correct end to a track. Winding a layup coon and treeing accurate can require more experience than tracking to a tree and being accurate. The young dog I'm hunting has treed many coon that he would have been minused on. He may be several yards from any tree but treeing. Just check the tree up wind from him and you'll see the coon. So i have to dissagree that tracking ability has nothing to do with accuracy.

And Many More

Old Post 03-30-2018 06:00 PM
blueticker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blueticker Click here to Send blueticker a Private Message Find more posts by blueticker Add blueticker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shane_atchison
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by blueticker
[B]For those that count den trees as slick trees, they spend more time surfing the net than climbing den trees. If your hound trees 60% percent accurate then wouldn't it make since that 60% of the den trees have coon. /B]
2 types of trees a dog can make. 1 a coon is seen in & 1 it isn't. If your dog is 80% that's amazing, and the fact your able to shine 80/100 trees effectively with so few dens in your area also means you have exceptional hunting..

Old Post 03-30-2018 06:03 PM
shane_atchison is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shane_atchison Click here to Send shane_atchison a Private Message Click Here to Email shane_atchison Find more posts by shane_atchison Add shane_atchison to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Accuracy comes from a hound that can track a coon or wind a coon and tree at the end of the track. Locating the right tree is finding the correct end to a track. Winding a layup coon and treeing accurate can require more experience than tracking to a tree and being accurate. The young dog I'm hunting has treed many coon that he would have been minused on. He may be several yards from any tree but treeing. Just check the tree up wind from him and you'll see the coon. So i have to dissagree that tracking ability has nothing to do with accuracy.
How about a good layup dog? Plenty locating; no tracking. I will admit a poor track dog that never gets to the tree will never locate the tree.

Old Post 03-30-2018 06:13 PM
blueticker
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by shane_atchison
2 types of trees a dog can make. 1 a coon is seen in & 1 it isn't. If your dog is 80% that's amazing, and the fact your able to shine 80/100 trees effectively with so few dens in your area also means you have exceptional hunting..

When the accuracy discussion becomes debatable on how to count den trees, how do we count coon caught and coon beaver holes? If you hear the coon growling and hounds taking hold in the hole, would you count it as having the coon? Den trees, holes and coon caught would make a difference on accuracy.

And Many More

Old Post 03-30-2018 06:54 PM
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
When the accuracy discussion becomes debatable on how to count den trees, how do we count coon caught and coon beaver holes? If you hear the coon growling and hounds taking hold in the hole, would you count it as having the coon? Den trees, holes and coon caught would make a difference on accuracy.
When you're splitting hairs that way, you're trying to prove your dog is accurate. When you have a truly accurate dog you don't think about things like that.

Old Post 03-30-2018 09:20 PM
blueticker
UKC Forum Member

Splitting hairs, that's exactly what I was thinking on den trees being counted as slicks. Count the trees with out holes or big nest. If there not 80 percent I will be looking for new power.

And Many More

Old Post 03-30-2018 09:30 PM
shane_atchison
UKC Forum Member

I've hunted with world champs, national champs, state champs and some top pleasure hounds, but never been with a TRUE 80% hound. 80/100 hunting 12 months a year is really something..

Old Post 03-31-2018 02:48 AM
shane_atchison is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shane_atchison Click here to Send shane_atchison a Private Message Click Here to Email shane_atchison Find more posts by shane_atchison Add shane_atchison to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Shane

I would accept what you are saying about hunting year around, due to the difficulty of finding coons when the leaves are on and the groundcover is thick. However, I mostly hunt in the fall and wintertime in these mountains and I definitely would not follow a dog that was not 80% or better. We looked at 180 coons this past winter, and very few dens or slicks. Dave

Old Post 03-31-2018 03:12 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
100%hunter
UKC Forum Member

Mr Richards

would you agree that a good track dog will be more accurate than one not so good?

Old Post 03-31-2018 03:47 AM
100%hunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 100%hunter Click here to Send 100%hunter a Private Message Find more posts by 100%hunter Add 100%hunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

100%hunter

I would agree 100% that a good track dog is more accurate than a poor track dog. Accuracy is a must for me hunting in these steep mountains, I will not tolerate slick freeing dogs. My hunting buddy is one of the best at finding a coon, if it's there he finds it! We don't feed dogs that aren't accurate, don't have to. Hunting is for pleasure and there is no pleasure in hunting junk. Dave

Old Post 03-31-2018 03:54 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
100%hunter
UKC Forum Member

Mr Richards

i'm located about three hours from you I hunt the mountains also a good track dog is a must. i'm working a two year old now he's nothing real fancy but he's a good track dog and don't miss many.

Old Post 03-31-2018 04:16 AM
100%hunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 100%hunter Click here to Send 100%hunter a Private Message Find more posts by 100%hunter Add 100%hunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

100%hunter

Man, we will have to get together this fall and hunt a night or two. My door is always open and we would be glad to take you hunting with us anytime. We don't hunt in the summer, but hunt 5, 6 nights a week in the fall and winter. Let me know anytime you want to hunt this fall, winter. Dave

Old Post 03-31-2018 04:34 AM
OLD TIMER
UKC Forum Member

Nicely put, Mr. Richards--

I'm with you passing on the bugs and heat but hitting it often in the fall and winter only difference--no mountains.

What do you think about some not knowing "how to shine a tree?" I went on a hunt at our breed days and had 3 of the top stud hounds of that time in the cast and 1 female. All treed and as they are shining with those $400.00 lights and planes start to circle over head and one ship blew it's horn out at sea, they voted to circle the tree. I asked the judge if he wanted to see the coon. I couldn't shine because I wasn't in the cast and the owner of the female, who was a butt all night, made some smart remark so I told him to shine the lowest limb and there it was. I think it was looking away and even had a pair of sunglasses on because of the brightness!! There is an art to finding a coon in a tree, some are like their dogs and don't have the patience's to learn.

Old Post 03-31-2018 12:37 PM
OLD TIMER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for OLD TIMER Click Here to Email OLD TIMER Find more posts by OLD TIMER Add OLD TIMER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote