UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > What's a good Accuracy??
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
bluetikman
UKC Forum Member

What's a good Accuracy??

I been hunting now for 28 years seems like lot has changed over years for coonhunting. I always keep a log of a hound that I hunt quite often especially a young dog that I been training and putting few seasons on. But in the day seemed like dogs seemed more accurate or they just wasn't as many coon and didn't make as many trees. But I'm hunting a young male just turned 3. He isn't the best I have owned but normally when that sucker trees you expect to see coon but I been keeping up with him since coon season and on paper I am not impressed at all. He isn't a cold nosed hound either he rather the track be medium to hot. I make list if see coon counts and den and slicks are same so Idk how many was dens I just wrote slicks. But I have walked to 169 trees to this dog and seen 97 coon in them. Like said idk how many was dens or slicks. So 97 for 169 sounds aweful to me. And like said when hunting him he seems more accurate but stars font lie.

'Pr' Mabel's Treeing Blue Jay (bluetick)
GrCh 'Pr' Josh's Stylish Hitman 2nd in ukc (walker)
Ch 'Pr' Hard Knocking Deamon (walker)

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-29-2018 03:52 PM
bluetikman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bluetikman Click here to Send bluetikman a Private Message Find more posts by bluetikman Add bluetikman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lipperman22
UKC Forum Member

Anything over 70 percent you got yourself a nice hound

Old Post 03-29-2018 04:01 PM
Lipperman22 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lipperman22 Click here to Send Lipperman22 a Private Message Click Here to Email Lipperman22 Find more posts by Lipperman22 Add Lipperman22 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

I never kept percentages. I do know when I'm enjoying coon hunting and when I'm not. It seems like that's where you were until you started being an accountant/ coon hunter. LOL

Old Post 03-29-2018 04:14 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
edwardfasteddy
UKC Forum Member

They say Rat Attack was 30% so I would say if you got one that was 35 to 40% that would be good. The guy that owned Rat said if he would have been 50% he would have keep him......

Old Post 03-29-2018 06:10 PM
edwardfasteddy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for edwardfasteddy Click Here to Email edwardfasteddy Find more posts by edwardfasteddy Add edwardfasteddy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rdmedders
UKC Forum Member

I started Nov 16th keeping a record each night I hunted, I record how many trees I make and how many coons I see. I've got to see the coon with my eyes! A den is a miss, a coon that I can't find is a miss, if my dog slick trees that's a miss too! As of lastnight my hound is at 70% accuracy!

Old Post 03-29-2018 06:24 PM
rdmedders is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rdmedders Click here to Send rdmedders a Private Message Click Here to Email rdmedders Find more posts by rdmedders Add rdmedders to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OLD TIMER
UKC Forum Member

As long

As you get the other 72 “circled” you have a winner in TODAYS coondog World.

I started coonhunting 1956-didn’t walk to empty trees to often and still don’t plan on changing that in what I feed. Had hounds back then that were born deer proof and still have that as a very important trait. Made my own “shock” collar with a 9volt battery and a model T coil. Sill have it in the kennel just for show.

Had one of the better breeders tell me in the 80’s “don’t breed for the score card or you’ll loose the traits that my Dad and I have.” Those traits are to hunt as soon as turned loose. Open on track. Check tree before Treeing. Check back/homing. And pack.

I did do a little comp hunting and went on a few, but when we had to walk to 4 separate trees because dogs won’t hunt together and you are lucky to see 1 coon out of those 4 trees was bad enough but what really broke me was the sportsmanship that took over the “sport”. Gone was the hand shake at the end of the hunt, helping look for someone elses coon and the ruff dogs that where being hunted.

All I can say is, if you had to fill a freezer to help pay bills with your fur sales or you where Ben Lilly and had to fill the tag of a paying big game Hunter, could you do it with what’s in your kennel?? If so, nice job and keep up the good work.

Happy Hunting

OT

Old Post 03-29-2018 06:32 PM
OLD TIMER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for OLD TIMER Click Here to Email OLD TIMER Find more posts by OLD TIMER Add OLD TIMER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

Bluetickman that a hair over 50% I would call that above average. If people are really honest 50-60% is good. You here these 70-80% they may have that average for a few months ,but if a man is honest with himself for a year and you count coon seen and coon not seen you will not see an 80 % average. I know some will tell me I’m wrong but I’d lay 1000- 1 odds saying I’m not.

Old Post 03-29-2018 07:56 PM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

IF YOU HAVE TO ASK YOU MOST LIKELY HAVE A PROBLEM .LOL LAST 2 HOUR CAST I WAS IN SCORED 2 COON AND HAD ONE DEN TREE . 66.67 % .

Old Post 03-29-2018 08:55 PM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
100%hunter
UKC Forum Member

old Timer

I agree the handshake and the pat on the back is almost gone and some of the things that are done to win have no limits but its a competition and sometimes its hard to remember that it suppose to be fun.

Old Post 03-29-2018 09:45 PM
100%hunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 100%hunter Click here to Send 100%hunter a Private Message Find more posts by 100%hunter Add 100%hunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bluetikman
UKC Forum Member

I feel like the dog is way more accurate then numbers are showing but I think to depends how u hunt if you just make s drop or two a night could keep a better average but I keep recasting and I don't choose the nights I just hunt.

Old Post 03-29-2018 10:20 PM
bluetikman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bluetikman Click here to Send bluetikman a Private Message Find more posts by bluetikman Add bluetikman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by johnny reb
Bluetickman that a hair over 50% I would call that above average. If people are really honest 50-60% is good. You here these 70-80% they may have that average for a few months ,but if a man is honest with himself for a year and you count coon seen and coon not seen you will not see an 80 % average. I know some will tell me I’m wrong but I’d lay 1000- 1 odds saying I’m not.

Johnny Reb I will take that bet, now you are gonna tell me to come show you but you come here and make that bet!

Old Post 03-29-2018 10:24 PM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
100%hunter
UKC Forum Member

nitehunter2004

cut me in on that bet. LOL. i'm not very good at figuring % so if we stay honest with ourselves on the trees that we can't shine because of leaves and honest den trees and only count coons seen and slick trees what's your opinion on 112 trees and 88 coons seen and 24 slick ?

Old Post 03-29-2018 10:41 PM
100%hunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 100%hunter Click here to Send 100%hunter a Private Message Find more posts by 100%hunter Add 100%hunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

Re: nitehunter2004

quote:
Originally posted by 100%hunter
cut me in on that bet. LOL. i'm not very good at figuring % so if we stay honest with ourselves on the trees that we can't shine because of leaves and honest den trees and only count coons seen and slick trees what's your opinion on 112 trees and 88 coons seen and 24 slick ?

Yelp and the most we can loose is a buck a peace.

Old Post 03-29-2018 10:52 PM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gpent24
UKC Forum Member

Re: nitehunter2004

quote:
Originally posted by 100%hunter

That's not what he was saying he was saying that if you only count coon seen or not not seen. Den trees count as slick. that's 79% by the way so you would lose.

Old Post 03-29-2018 11:20 PM
gpent24 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gpent24 Click here to Send gpent24 a Private Message Click Here to Email gpent24 Find more posts by gpent24 Add gpent24 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shane_atchison
UKC Forum Member

There's only 2 kinds of trees a dog can make. With a coon seen & without. If you hunt 12 months a year and keep an honest, accurate record 60% is very good..

Old Post 03-29-2018 11:44 PM
shane_atchison is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shane_atchison Click here to Send shane_atchison a Private Message Click Here to Email shane_atchison Find more posts by shane_atchison Add shane_atchison to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
100%hunter
UKC Forum Member

trees to leafy and dens don't count for or against the dog just count coons and slicks?

Old Post 03-30-2018 12:21 AM
Lipperman22
UKC Forum Member

It’s only fair to keep track when leaves are off. Dens are not counted. Trees with coon and without are. Then you have a real accuracy test imo

Old Post 03-30-2018 12:59 AM
Lipperman22 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lipperman22 Click here to Send Lipperman22 a Private Message Click Here to Email Lipperman22 Find more posts by Lipperman22 Add Lipperman22 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
100%hunter
UKC Forum Member

112 trees 88 coons 24 slicks ?%

Old Post 03-30-2018 01:50 AM
bowling
UKC Forum Member

My old dog has treed as many as 37 in a row coons seen many different times before he ever treed a den never seen him make 3 slicks in a row in the 6 years I hunted him.

Old Post 03-30-2018 01:51 AM
bowling is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bowling Click here to Send bowling a Private Message Click Here to Email bowling Visit bowling's homepage! Find more posts by bowling Add bowling to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bluetikman
UKC Forum Member

I have always put dens in slick column unless see it

Old Post 03-30-2018 02:36 AM
100%hunter
UKC Forum Member

I understand. it depends on what happened before the tree if there was a good race I would give the dog the benefit of the doubt if they just blow up and tree not so much but either way I didn't count it good or bad JMO.

Old Post 03-30-2018 03:41 AM
shane_atchison
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by shane_atchison
There's only 2 kinds of trees a dog can make. With a coon seen & without..
Benefit of the doubt is where these 80% dogs come from..

Old Post 03-30-2018 03:55 AM
shane_atchison is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shane_atchison Click here to Send shane_atchison a Private Message Click Here to Email shane_atchison Find more posts by shane_atchison Add shane_atchison to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
100%hunter
UKC Forum Member

I agree that's why I don't count either way jmo.

Old Post 03-30-2018 04:13 AM
honalieh
UKC Forum Member

Here's a better question.

Do you correct or discipline your dogs for treeing slick?

If you answer no, the slick treeing may very likely be a handler deficiency.

If you answer yes, you probably don't get a lot of slick trees because you've corrected them for that.

Remember, a slick tree is really just a QUIT UNFINISHED TRACK. Whether they quit and come in, or quit and fall treed slick, the result is the same; no coon seen.

Do you think that bear hunters, and coon (hide) hunters would have different expectations on accuracy than competition hunters?

Old Post 03-30-2018 04:57 AM
honalieh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for honalieh Click here to Send honalieh a Private Message Click Here to Email honalieh Find more posts by honalieh Add honalieh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Re: As long

quote:
Originally posted by OLD TIMER
As you get the other 72 “circled” you have a winner in TODAYS coondog World.

I started coonhunting 1956-didn’t walk to empty trees to often and still don’t plan on changing that in what I feed. Had hounds back then that were born deer proof and still have that as a very important trait. Made my own “shock” collar with a 9volt battery and a model T coil. Sill have it in the kennel just for show.

Had one of the better breeders tell me in the 80’s “don’t breed for the score card or you’ll loose the traits that my Dad and I have.” Those traits are to hunt as soon as turned loose. Open on track. Check tree before Treeing. Check back/homing. And pack.

I did do a little comp hunting and went on a few, but when we had to walk to 4 separate trees because dogs won’t hunt together and you are lucky to see 1 coon out of those 4 trees was bad enough but what really broke me was the sportsmanship that took over the “sport”. Gone was the hand shake at the end of the hunt, helping look for someone elses coon and the ruff dogs that where being hunted.

All I can say is, if you had to fill a freezer to help pay bills with your fur sales or you where Ben Lilly and had to fill the tag of a paying big game Hunter, could you do it with what’s in your kennel?? If so, nice job and keep up the good work.

Happy Hunting

OT

I like what you said...

Back in the old days this was a hot topic...I agreed with those that said the same thing back then as you are saying now...

Old Post 03-30-2018 09:10 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote