UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Increasing Hunt Attendance
Pages (5): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

He's probably on his way to Louisiana to check out that line bred Lipper dog on that other thread.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-28-2018 12:02 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Just a place that sells papers?? How many dogs did they have at that little hunt they had in Batesville, Ms last month. Maybe you need to quit blaming your clubs low turnout on UKC and try some of the suggestions on this thread.

Old Post 03-28-2018 01:20 AM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Richard Ada Oklahoma used to hunt 250 dogs a night Friday night 18 dogs Saturday night 16 you can't blame me for that crap give it time it's creeping north you will see.

Your just going to the big hunts your just looking through rose colored glasses.

Tar

Last edited by yadkintar on 03-28-2018 at 01:29 AM

Old Post 03-28-2018 01:27 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shane_atchison
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Just a place that sells papers?? How many dogs did they have at that little hunt they had in Batesville, Ms last month. Maybe you need to quit blaming your clubs low turnout on UKC and try some of the suggestions on this thread.
Their big hunts have big turnouts with a ton of prizes and recognition. The small clubs at the local level is what's on the decline. There is multiple reasons and YES, UKC is partly to blame.

Old Post 03-28-2018 04:28 AM
shane_atchison is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shane_atchison Click here to Send shane_atchison a Private Message Click Here to Email shane_atchison Find more posts by shane_atchison Add shane_atchison to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Tarbaby, maybe the Ada, Oklahoma club needs to find out why people quit coming to "their" hunt and fix "their" problems. UKC doesn't have a problem with "their" hunts. I like my glasses. They make everything look groovy.

Old Post 03-28-2018 02:24 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Richard I am fixing to go fishing y'all wore me out yesterday lol. But the major hunts have always been big hunts but you know we get the advisor and the card and the rule book used on us on here well for about the last 4 yrs almost all the major hunts have had a cluster with the ukc staff on grounds !! So what you think it's like at hunts they are not at no field reps around here that I know of and us old guys are getting tired. This thing cannot run itself any longer without suffering. I got a hunt Saturday night guess who gets to set at the club yea !! Got a lot of rain not sure where to put everybody be a long night that's stuff you don't think of if you just travel and visit the big hunts it looks all Rosie that way yep I am getting the case of the I don't give a chit !! It only took 40 years I been an active officer of a club since I was in my 20's.

Tar

Old Post 03-28-2018 02:38 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Tar for the past week, my Son and a Buddy of his were in town from TN. We fished 5 days, had a blast but it is hard work. LOL They went back home so last night I did something easy and went hunting.

Take a picture of the big one your catch. If it is a big lipped catfish throw it back. Might have Lipper in it.

Old Post 03-28-2018 02:50 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Richard I am fixing to go fishing y'all wore me out yesterday lol. But the major hunts have always been big hunts but you know we get the advisor and the card and the rule book used on us on here well for about the last 4 yrs almost all the major hunts have had a cluster with the ukc staff on grounds !! So what you think it's like at hunts they are not at no field reps around here that I know of and us old guys are getting tired. This thing cannot run itself any longer without suffering. I got a hunt Saturday night guess who gets to set at the club yea !! Got a lot of rain not sure where to put everybody be a long night that's stuff you don't think of if you just travel and visit the big hunts it looks all Rosie that way yep I am getting the case of the I don't give a chit !! It only took 40 years I been an active officer of a club since I was in my 20's.

Tar

Tar I guess ukc's plan is to fix it after its so far gone they can't fix it. It will be in the next 10 or so years I'd imagine. The active members in ukc are what 50-60 mostly across the country. So its only a matter of time really.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 03-28-2018 02:51 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Tarbaby, I hope that you catch several big ones. I hope that you kick back and relax and rest up for this weekend. Fishing is like coonhunting. It used to be relaxing. Now everyone wants to run up and down the lake in a boat and work at it. It costs a fortune to just go catch a fish anymore. No one even knows what a cane pole is. We used to eat all of the little fish. Now they throw them back in and only keep the giant size ones.

Old Post 03-28-2018 03:06 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Oh my goodness Mr DePue, gloom and despair, oh woe is me. We only have 10 more years to coon hunt. What in the world are we going to do? I guess that maybe I had better put my glasses on and go fishing myself.

Old Post 03-28-2018 03:10 PM
shane_atchison
UKC Forum Member

Sad, but he's right. UKC has done little to make the hunts, rules, formats and payouts more appealing to a younger consumer. In return their age demographic is much older than the other KCs. The 60+ crowd that's scared of change needs to ask themselves (how many hunts will I be entering in 10-20years?)

Old Post 03-28-2018 03:25 PM
shane_atchison is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shane_atchison Click here to Send shane_atchison a Private Message Click Here to Email shane_atchison Find more posts by shane_atchison Add shane_atchison to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mike Knuckols
UKC Forum Member

I don't have the answers to all the hunt attendance problems . I hunt for the titles and the friendships made . In my area there are the Linden TX club , Queen City club , Maud club . Deadwood club . and the Carthage club . Just over the line there is the Shongaloo club ,Minden club , Haughton club . It seems to me that an association should be formed by these clubs where some effort could be coordinated as far as scheduling hunts and encouragement of participation from club members to support the other clubs events . Maybe even hold a large event using the other clubs as satellite clubs if needed maybe one group could host a UKC event , the other group a $KC event . Have 3 events per year promote it on social media ,News/ radio stations , have fish fry sell lunches to local businesses etc. Give some trophies away and at the big events have a charity that needs the help to donate to and promote it as such . take pictures and put results in local papers and on social media etc . Mainly support the area clubs and schedule your hunts with others in mind .

Home of :
CH NITECH Whitemans Poison
GRCH NITECH Cold Traxx Extra Man
CH GRNITECH Kings Hardwood Ranger
UKC CH PKC CH CHKC CH Cold Traxx Man Child
GRNTCH PKC CH Hunt it off Bella
Cold Traxx Southern Honey
Cold Traxx Mattie
Cold Traxx Super Freak

Gone but never forgotten :
NITECH McFarlands Joe
Knuckols Hooker
NITECH Cypress River Chance
NITECH Cypress River Honey
NITECH Cypress River Princess
NITECH Newcombs Miss Molly
NITECH Wilsons Hardwood Ann
GRCH GRNTCH Paulding Forrest Bubba

Old Post 03-28-2018 03:34 PM
Mike Knuckols is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mike Knuckols Click here to Send Mike Knuckols a Private Message Click Here to Email Mike Knuckols Find more posts by Mike Knuckols Add Mike Knuckols to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RJ Burks
UKC Forum Member

Went to a hunt weekend before last, 5 registered dogs 2 night champions...had a senior cast in registered, so that left me and the guy that rode with me to the hunt in the other registered cast....went last weekend to another hunt, 2 registered cast 3 dog and 4 dog, 1 nite champion cast 4 dog...hunted against the guy (different guy) that rode with me in the champion cast....had fun though...

Old Post 03-28-2018 04:08 PM
RJ Burks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RJ Burks Click here to Send RJ Burks a Private Message Find more posts by RJ Burks Add RJ Burks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by shane_atchison
Sad, but he's right. UKC has done little to make the hunts, rules, formats and payouts more appealing to a younger consumer.

What about changes to Purina Program to promote local state hunts. What about Mini Slams, Performance Program and Super Slam hunts? What about this message forum and their Facebook page? It actually appears to me that UKC has done quite a bit.

Old Post 03-28-2018 04:09 PM
newport
UKC Forum Member

done quite a bit yes but probably not enough fact of the matter is there are not people beating the doors down of local clubs when they have a hunt our average numbers around here are around 6 I would say that show up to a local hunt

Home of
PKC CH GRNITECH PR Newports Late Night Chill HTX
PR eel river rye
PR late night walker texas ranger (tex)
PR Big Walnuts Late Night Branch

proud member of The Deer Creek Cartel
Check out the deercreek cartel youtube channel at- youtube.com/c/thedeercreekcartel

BSKC founding member

matt newport

Old Post 03-28-2018 04:12 PM
newport is offline Click Here to See the Profile for newport Click here to Send newport a Private Message Click Here to Email newport Find more posts by newport Add newport to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

No matter how much they do it will not be enough for some. Mr Newport didn't y'all have 20 dogs at your local hunt Fri night? How can a club with 15-30 members only have 6-10 dogs at a hunt? Is that a club problem or a UKC problem?

Old Post 03-28-2018 05:48 PM
yadkintar
Banned

Richard as long as you like to hunt with out dated rules and if you win you get little or no recognition and you want to go to the big hunts and set with the boss if it makes you happy we are happy !! Y'all all hunt red dogs that's even better I mean wow I would be just bubbling over too ! That's not enough for some now hope you understand lol. I cleaned the two fish I caught and I am going to cook them and might even have a honey bun for desert.

Tar

Old Post 03-28-2018 06:01 PM
Jgarrett
UKC Forum Member

Increasing Hunt Attendance

In my opinion at least in this part of the world it’s not that there is some huge problem with UKC. It is as simple as there are not many coon hunters. If you average the number of hunters for the 3 counties I hunt the most it comes out to about 5 coon hunters per county and only 1 or 2 per county is what I would consider fairly dedicated hunters. Coon hunting is a time consuming, expensive hobby that is not for everyone. With hides being worthless there are very few people getting exposed to the sport and catching the bug. If everyone would try to recruit at least one new person into the sport this year I think this would be the most successful way to increase attendance.

Old Post 03-28-2018 06:13 PM
Jgarrett is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jgarrett Click here to Send Jgarrett a Private Message Click Here to Email Jgarrett Find more posts by Jgarrett Add Jgarrett to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Oh my goodness, you must have a pond in your backyard. It would take me all day to catch 2 fish.
I thought that the hunters voted to change/set the rules not UKC. If I were to ever win a hunt I would get plenty of recognition. I would make sure that everyone knew it. I am sure that everyone knows that you won with Fred at a Zone last year and that Corey got a win a couple of months ago. You sure don't have to depend on UKC to publicize it for you. And every time you go to a larger hunt I am sure that Allen or Todd make it a point to say hi and talk to you.

Old Post 03-28-2018 06:20 PM
yadkintar
Banned

Every time I get a clear shot at them you get in the way lol !! I have to take pictures from deep undercover.

I don't hunt red dogs I would rather get poison Ivey we wouldn't have nothing in common.

Lmbo !!

Tar

Old Post 03-28-2018 06:30 PM
shane_atchison
UKC Forum Member

quote:
What about changes to Purina Program to promote local state hunts. What about Mini Slams, Performance Program and Super Slam hunts? What about this message forum and their Facebook page? It actually appears to me that UKC has done quite a bit.
Revamping the Purina program was an excellent idea. The Slam format didn't catch on like they hoped so it needs adjustments/revamping and the Performance program hasn't had any real changes or improvements since it's inception and the falling numbers reflect that..

Old Post 03-28-2018 06:42 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
we wouldn't have nothing in common.
Lmbo !!
Tar

What about the desire to increase the attendance at local hunts?

Old Post 03-28-2018 07:04 PM
yadkintar
Banned

If it happens ok if it don't ok I done my time no hard feelings just don't got the desire to work at it no more just want to enter , hunt ,visit and go home like others. What ever they do or don't do will be to little to late for me.

Good luck

Tar

Old Post 03-28-2018 07:12 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

So does this mean you won't be the MOH this weekend? Maybe that attitude is why hunt attendance is decreasing. Too many old guys giving up and too few youngsters willing to step up.
The younger generation wants UKC to be responsible for the local hunts. They think that they should just be able to show up, hunt, get a prize and go home.

Old Post 03-28-2018 07:55 PM
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:
So does this mean you won't be the MOH this weekend? Maybe that attitude is why hunt attendance is decreasing. Too many old guys giving up and too few youngsters willing to step up.
The younger generation wants UKC to be responsible for the local hunts. They think that they should just be able to show up, hunt, get a prize and go home.

Richard I'm not saying that I want a prize for entering my dog. Don't jump to conclusions. Well some of the problem is there's clubs around that shouldn't be. Plain and simple on that. There's a few clubs here within 1-2 hrs, 9-10 roughly off the top of my head without looking any up. Now I've said my peace several times on what should be done and why. And if I remember correctly you agreed. But when I know more pleasure hunters than competition hunters. And you can't talk them or I into going to going to ukc hunt because of the format, there might be an issue with it. They're more than willing to hunt $kc but not ukc. I understand some guys don't want to hunt the other registries. That's fine but stop complaining when no one shows up and your local club closes its doors. Fact is the other registries don't need a club to hold hunts, and they moh or hd can still hunt in it.

Again I won't join a local club. If you want more info on that pm me.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 03-28-2018 08:19 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote