UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Light brightness vs weight
Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Texcooner
UKC Forum Member

Are most of these lights heavier than the laser lights? Quite a bit heavier ? If so what lights would you recommend ? Are they a lot brighter than the old laser lights ? Any with color ? Thanks for any help

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-15-2018 12:33 AM
Texcooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Texcooner Click here to Send Texcooner a Private Message Click Here to Email Texcooner Find more posts by Texcooner Add Texcooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BigDogLights
UKC Forum Member

Re: Caps.....

quote:
Originally posted by Triple K Kennel
I think just about any Light Builder will mount you one on a soft cap without liner. I dont think that would be very comfortable....most lights are too heavy for that.
A few of the lighter ones would be ok.
Tim

Honestly, I actually like the Big Dog Alpha and Genisis without the liner in hat way better. I think it is alot more comfortable. But I have a 5 gallon bucket for a head.

(252) 217-5001

Old Post 03-15-2018 01:28 AM
BigDogLights is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BigDogLights Click here to Send BigDogLights a Private Message Visit BigDogLights's homepage! Find more posts by BigDogLights Add BigDogLights to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BigDogLights
UKC Forum Member

Re: Caps.....

quote:
I think just about any Light Builder will mount you one on a soft cap without liner. I dont think that would be very comfortable....most lights are too heavy for that.
A few of the lighter ones would be ok.
Tim

Honestly, I actually like the Big Dog Alpha and Genisis without the liner in hat way better. I think it is alot more comfortable. But I have a 5 gallon bucket for a head.

(252) 217-5001

Old Post 03-15-2018 01:28 AM
BigDogLights is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BigDogLights Click here to Send BigDogLights a Private Message Visit BigDogLights's homepage! Find more posts by BigDogLights Add BigDogLights to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Caps.....

quote:
Originally posted by BigDogLights

Matt
I could actually see where the Genesis would be Comfortable on a Soft Cap without a liner.
I will have to agree.
Tim

Quality, Dependable Coon Lights--Built by a Coonhunter for Coonhunters
==================================
** Superior Lights

** Sunspot Hunting Lights

** Zepp's--Quality Products

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

** They Twist it until they start believing it themselves**

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Competition Coonhunters and Politicians
** Win anyway you have to & tell everyone what they want to hear **

Old Post 03-15-2018 03:07 AM
Triple K Kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Triple K Kennel Click here to Send Triple K Kennel a Private Message Find more posts by Triple K Kennel Add Triple K Kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Texcooner
UKC Forum Member

Looks like the Big Dog Genesis is the one that will work best for me. Will be ordering one soon. Thanks for all the help

Old Post 03-15-2018 05:11 PM
Texcooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Texcooner Click here to Send Texcooner a Private Message Click Here to Email Texcooner Find more posts by Texcooner Add Texcooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
4play
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Texcooner
Are most of these lights heavier than the laser lights? Quite a bit heavier ? If so what lights would you recommend ? Are they a lot brighter than the old laser lights ? Any with color ? Thanks for any help

Laser Torch Pro with Color and Frosted pop cap will do anything the 'brightest of the week' will do.Coon still has to be there....lol
I still have my LTP,use it everytime.
Just can't find anything that makes me want to stop using it.
Waiting for 'bright' actual WARM White.Until then Ole LTP keeps finding them.
JMO

Nitech Stylish Clover Shark Jill - RIP 'Ole Girl
{Great White Shark x Brush Creek Patch}

Old Post 03-15-2018 05:18 PM
4play is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 4play Click here to Send 4play a Private Message Click Here to Email 4play Find more posts by 4play Add 4play to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Texcooner
UKC Forum Member

I've had my laser light for many years and it's been a good light. The one I have doesn't have the colors. Just wanted to update and get one with the colored lights . Do you guys use the colors very often? Down here we don't have those tall trees like some of y'all have. I figured if I wasn't going to get a light with colors I might as well get one that is bright and not too heavy . Thanks

Old Post 03-15-2018 05:39 PM
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Lights....

quote:
Originally posted by Texcooner
I've had my laser light for many years and it's been a good light. The one I have doesn't have the colors. Just wanted to update and get one with the colored lights . Do you guys use the colors very often? Down here we don't have those tall trees like some of y'all have. I figured if I wasn't going to get a light with colors I might as well get one that is bright and not too heavy . Thanks

Myself, I think lights with Multiple Colors is Overkill......
Maybe one Color is ok.....most dont need 2 or 3 different Colors, BUT they Want them.......LOL
Tim

Quality, Dependable Coon Lights--Built by a Coonhunter for Coonhunters
==================================
** Superior Lights

** Sunspot Hunting Lights

** Zepp's--Quality Products

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

** They Twist it until they start believing it themselves**

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Competition Coonhunters and Politicians
** Win anyway you have to & tell everyone what they want to hear **

Old Post 03-15-2018 08:41 PM
Triple K Kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Triple K Kennel Click here to Send Triple K Kennel a Private Message Find more posts by Triple K Kennel Add Triple K Kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

Re: Lights....

quote:
Myself, I think lights with Multiple Colors is Overkill......
Maybe one Color is ok.....most dont need 2 or 3 different Colors, BUT they Want them.......LOL
Tim

You are right but it is what people want, I just made one for a guy the same way I have mine set up. 1 click of red, 1 click of walking light and 1 click on the main beam.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 03-15-2018 08:43 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Well guys I purchased a Sunspot Mini Smoker. Should have it Monday. Will Let you know what I think after I use it a time or two. Weighs 17 OZ on a bump cap. Think it will be all I need.

Old Post 03-18-2018 01:53 AM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Well guys I purchased a Sunspot Mini Smoker. Should have it Monday. Will Let you know what I think after I use it a time or two. Weighs 17 OZ on a bump cap. Think it will be all I need.

Old Post 03-18-2018 01:53 AM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Scott VH
UKC Forum Member

Bright eyes double death

This is a large tree with a coon in the middle of the spot on the second from the highest click. It is plenty bright. The soft hat is balanced perfectly but it is warm with the liner even this time of year. I like it.

Floyd's Shine On (GrNiteCh Pink Floyd x GrNiteCh Oklahoma Blue Creek)

Gone but not forgotten:
GrNiteCh Mose's Pink Floyd (GrNiteCh Dean's Blue Mose X GrNiteCh B&D's Blue Ruby) Hollis-VH
GrNiteCh GrCh Bullet II's Code Blue Cricket (GrCh GrNiteCh 'PR' Twin Springs Runnin Bullet II X NiteCh Ch JJ's Code Blue Jenny)
Ch GrNiteCh Smokey River Blue Tramp II (GrCh GrNiteCh Smokey River Jean's Blue Tramp X Ch NiteCh Misty River Blue Doll IV)
GrNiteCh GrCh Vining's Hammerhead (Dual Grand Twin Springs Runnin Bullet II X Dual Grand Vining Blue Mollie)
GrNiteCh Ch Uchtmans Blue Logan (GrNiteCh Gene's Blue Newton X ChNiteCh Smiley's Blue Lady)
GrNiteCh GrCh Makin' Music Banjo (GrNiteCh Washburn Valley Blue Drip X GrNiteCh GrCh Razor Ridge Unstable Mable)
GrNiteCh. Uncle Pen (GrNiteCh South Shore Drive Blue Kev X GrNiteCh Frosty's Fancy)

Last edited by Scott VH on 03-18-2018 at 04:10 AM

Old Post 03-18-2018 03:51 AM
Scott VH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Scott VH Click here to Send Scott VH a Private Message Click Here to Email Scott VH Find more posts by Scott VH Add Scott VH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RJ Burks
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Lights....

quote:
Originally posted by joey
You are right but it is what people want, I just made one for a guy the same way I have mine set up. 1 click of red, 1 click of walking light and 1 click on the main beam.

This is what I want.....

Old Post 03-18-2018 03:22 PM
RJ Burks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RJ Burks Click here to Send RJ Burks a Private Message Find more posts by RJ Burks Add RJ Burks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

New Light

Well I finally purchased a Sunspot Inferno. I like this light. Nice walking light and very bright on high. Don't know what actual shade the main beam is but it makes things clearer to me than the light I had. I has 2 clicks for the colors and 2 for walking light and three for main. If I was having it custom made I would only have one high click for colors and walking light and main beam. I tried the Sunspot Mini-
Smoker and it's a very nice light. I would have kept it but I wanted a little more coverage with the walk light and the Inferno has it. Another reason is the lifetime guarantee and that the builder is pretty close to me. I purchased this thru Kenny Rhea and no one could have been more helpful. Very prompt shipping. Thank you Kenny.

Old Post 03-24-2018 07:01 PM
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

New Light

Well I finally purchased a Sunspot Inferno. I like this light. Nice walking light and very bright on high. Don't know what actual shade the main beam is but it makes things clearer to me than the light I had. I has 2 clicks for the colors and 2 for walking light and three for main. If I was having it custom made I would only have one high click for colors and walking light and main beam. I tried the Sunspot Mini-
Smoker and it's a very nice light. I would have kept it but I wanted a little more coverage with the walk light and the Inferno has it. Another reason is the lifetime guarantee and that the builder is pretty close to me. I purchased this thru Kenny Rhea and no one could have been more helpful. Very prompt shipping. Thank you Kenny.

Old Post 03-24-2018 07:01 PM
joey
UKC Forum Member

If you would like that modification to your light give me a call and we will get it fixed up for you. Thanks

Home Of:

Old Post 03-24-2018 07:53 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Oh my goodness...a lifetime guarantee???? Does that mean that I would never have to buy another light in my lifetime? If anything wears out or quits then you will replace it?

Old Post 03-24-2018 08:02 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Oh my goodness...a lifetime guarantee???? Does that mean that I would never have to buy another light in my lifetime? If anything wears out or quits then you will replace it?

Yes for as long as parts are available, Yesterday I repaired a 7 year old light and all it cost them was the shipping. We had a 2 year warranty and I discovered that as cheap as individual parts cost it ate it all up in credit card charges. So I was fixing them all after their 2 years and not charging anyone. So we decided to make that our warranty. The only thing it doesn't cover is hats, chargers and anything that is physically broken by the costumer.

Home Of:

Old Post 03-24-2018 09:13 PM
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Michael

Thanks, I will call you Monday to discuss changes. It's really not a problem with the other settings just seems unnecessary. May hate to give it up for a week to get the changes made.

Old Post 03-24-2018 09:53 PM
RJ Burks
UKC Forum Member

I have a inferno headed my way monday..low red bright red and walk light then high spot...im like a kid waitin on Christmas...

Old Post 03-25-2018 04:51 PM
RJ Burks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RJ Burks Click here to Send RJ Burks a Private Message Find more posts by RJ Burks Add RJ Burks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

I actually have a Sunspot spotlight that I have had for several years. It is a lot tougher than I am.

Old Post 03-25-2018 06:11 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wjoey
Banned

I have one of bruce and kevins light lights one of sams lights and 2 of joeys lights they all are a little different in one way or another but are all top notch lights , I have never had any trouble with any of them other than breaking the glass a few times on them as im rough on a light because i use them more farming than coon hunting, my favorite tho was a old mini that I had got from joey a long time ago but he upgraded me to a new one for free after mine quit working on main beam twice and its ok but no where like the old one i had, my oldest is bruces and it gets used pretty much every night as its in my old truck that i check cows with never had one min problem with that light , my newest is one of sams I like it pretty good its bright but only has 2 selections on main beam walk light is excellent as is the color it is a little heavy tho. I also have a Chinese one like Roberts its good for crawling under houses and to loan out but does not compare in reality to any of the 3 that build them for hunters yes it will get the job done but like I said apples to apples no comparison, I would buy a light from bruce ,sam or joey anytime and not think twice about it.

UKC PREFORMANCE SIRE Nt ch pkc ch BAM BAM The only one out of WORLD CH BIG D X GRNT SKIPPERS UMFORGIVEN SAIGE she has 21 pups 4nt ch 5 grnt ch thats 42.85%
He is a coon dog!
Nt ch ch Insane Minnie MouseInsane cain x Malden Branch Mouse

HOME OF 2 TIME AQHA HORSE OF THE YEAR
World champion working cow horse snaffle bit
SMART LITTLE LEGEND
ETCHA CHAMPION
HCHA CHAMPION
Top 16 NCHA WORLD Champion
Home of GHSRA All Around Cowboy Champion Chris wilbanks

Jerico Rebel our Movie star horse hes been in three films now 35 years old
Just passed away February 4th 2016

MY OLD DOGS GONE BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN
The one I will allways miss now deceased 01/09/2013
GR CH GRAND NT CH Handosme Trudy
SIRE PKC WLD CH GR NT WHATS UP DOC
DAM GR NT HUTCHINS SUGAR

GRCH GR NT CH COBBLER CREEK WENDY
GR NT STYLISH TUFF - WENDY X STYLISH LIPPER
GR NT STYLISH TACK - WENDY X STYLISH LIPPER

NT CH SOUTHERN STYLE - JP'S HIGH STYLE X HOUSES LADY

Last edited by wjoey on 03-26-2018 at 02:43 AM

Old Post 03-26-2018 02:40 AM
wjoey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wjoey Click here to Send wjoey a Private Message Find more posts by wjoey Add wjoey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wjoey
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
I actually have a Sunspot spotlight that I have had for several years. It is a lot tougher than I am.
The puppy guy is selling his new boss light Richard you may get a bargain if you want to deal with him

UKC PREFORMANCE SIRE Nt ch pkc ch BAM BAM The only one out of WORLD CH BIG D X GRNT SKIPPERS UMFORGIVEN SAIGE she has 21 pups 4nt ch 5 grnt ch thats 42.85%
He is a coon dog!
Nt ch ch Insane Minnie MouseInsane cain x Malden Branch Mouse

HOME OF 2 TIME AQHA HORSE OF THE YEAR
World champion working cow horse snaffle bit
SMART LITTLE LEGEND
ETCHA CHAMPION
HCHA CHAMPION
Top 16 NCHA WORLD Champion
Home of GHSRA All Around Cowboy Champion Chris wilbanks

Jerico Rebel our Movie star horse hes been in three films now 35 years old
Just passed away February 4th 2016

MY OLD DOGS GONE BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN
The one I will allways miss now deceased 01/09/2013
GR CH GRAND NT CH Handosme Trudy
SIRE PKC WLD CH GR NT WHATS UP DOC
DAM GR NT HUTCHINS SUGAR

GRCH GR NT CH COBBLER CREEK WENDY
GR NT STYLISH TUFF - WENDY X STYLISH LIPPER
GR NT STYLISH TACK - WENDY X STYLISH LIPPER

NT CH SOUTHERN STYLE - JP'S HIGH STYLE X HOUSES LADY

Old Post 03-26-2018 02:44 AM
wjoey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wjoey Click here to Send wjoey a Private Message Find more posts by wjoey Add wjoey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Thanks. You guys made me waste $300. At all the larger hunts we always check out the competition and I will say, I think the light builders just like the coon hunters like competition. At least competition between us means a better light for you guys and I am proud I am part of that. Back to my story. Got one of them $300 lights that I hear talked about on here. First it has two batteries while the Boss Light has three of better quality. I hear all the weights being thrown around and the Boss Light weighed 1 ounce less. I will admit as a BEDROOM light it looked better. Quit shining it on the BEDROOM wall and take it to the woods and there is no comparison. Main beam (dedomed) held together a lot better at 50 yards. Walk light on the BOSS LIGHT is a lot BRIGHTER. RED about the same. Our light when the battery runs down will dim down while the one we are testing shuts off with no warning.

Hey the competition makes a few changes and they have rediscovered the light world. We make a few changes and we don't advertise it as we have a solid foundation of customers. I just hate to see the hype of the bedroom lights spread false rumors about what is happening in the light world. I hear all the time about warranties. I don't think anyone reading this has an issue with either the time it might take for repair or the cost of repair. Why. Most of the time unless the light is years old we charge nothing. The warranty is there to protect us from the guy who tears his light apart, thinking he is a light builder. For the coon hunter in most cases there is NO CHARGE.

Very disappointed to hear about long burn times and the lite weight of the competition when you weigh them and they weigh an ounce more and you open up the battery box and they have one battery less. What do you think the one battery does to burn time?

It is not about how bright it is on a Bedroom Wall. It is about how the light holds together when shined in a tall tree or across the field. We don't give lights to the self proclaimed experts for reviews on the Bedroom Wall. We sell lights to Coon Hunters to find coon.

Again, having competition is GREAT. Just wish the truth was explained a little better.

Last edited by Bruce m. Conkey on 03-27-2018 at 05:18 PM

Old Post 03-27-2018 05:16 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toad Hill
UKC Forum Member

Originally posted by Philip
Has nothing to do with weight, lol. But I look at coon, but I raise my gun, then the tight spot is left, can't see coon, so I have to lead the light to the right. I never had cap light before, just had cord over the shoulder. Such problems. Lol

quote:
Originally posted by joey
Hold the cap in your left hand and lay the gun across the top. It's easy and how I've done it even when I had a belt light.

ANSWER-
**** Just buy you a green laser sight for your gun and shoot from the hip !!!! Best thing i ever done !!

Old Post 03-27-2018 09:13 PM
Toad Hill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Toad Hill Click here to Send Toad Hill a Private Message Find more posts by Toad Hill Add Toad Hill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote