UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Light brightness vs weight
Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
yadkintar
Banned

The only thing I would change is when I wear a coat or hoodie it hits that battery when I look up a tree. I have to hold on to the head to look at a tall tree.

Tar

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-07-2018 01:00 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Re: Thanks

quote:
Originally posted by Preacher Tom
Guys Thanks for the input even though I'm not sure I'm any closer to knowing what to buy. It's hard for me to compare as I don't make the big hunts where vendors are set up and I hunt mostly by myself so don't have a buddy's light to compare. I think I have been given some good info, now we'll see if I can put it to good use, lol.

Tom Wood
If you hunt alot by yourself, you need a Light that will be Super Dependable, one you feel confident will get you out of the woods and not leave you in the dark.
You need a Superior Light by Sam Davis.
Whether its a Caplight, Beltlight or Box Light.....Sam can fix you up.
He has the Brightest Walklight available today.
He can also Build a Custom Light for you.
I have been using Superior Lights for over 6 years, I have NEVER had a single issue with these Lights.
I get No Kickbacks, No Free Lights from Superior Lights......
But I wont Recommend a Light if I dont feel its a Good One even if it was free.
Good luck.......Choose Wisely.....🤔
Tim

Quality, Dependable Coon Lights--Built by a Coonhunter for Coonhunters
==================================
** Superior Lights

** Sunspot Hunting Lights

** Zepp's--Quality Products

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

** They Twist it until they start believing it themselves**

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Competition Coonhunters and Politicians
** Win anyway you have to & tell everyone what they want to hear **

Old Post 03-08-2018 12:18 PM
Triple K Kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Triple K Kennel Click here to Send Triple K Kennel a Private Message Find more posts by Triple K Kennel Add Triple K Kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Philip
UKC Forum Member

Has nothing to do with weight, lol. But I look at coon, but I raise my gun, then the tight spot is left, can't see coon, so I have to lead the light to the right. I never had cap light before, just had cord over the shoulder. Such problems. Lol

Old Post 03-08-2018 11:31 PM
Philip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Philip Click here to Send Philip a Private Message Click Here to Email Philip Visit Philip's homepage! Find more posts by Philip Add Philip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Philip
Has nothing to do with weight, lol. But I look at coon, but I raise my gun, then the tight spot is left, can't see coon, so I have to lead the light to the right. I never had cap light before, just had cord over the shoulder. Such problems. Lol

Hold the cap in your left hand and lay the gun across the top. It's easy and how I've done it even when I had a belt light.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 03-08-2018 11:53 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Weight....

quote:
Originally posted by Philip

I know exactly what you are saying. Especially in the Winter and you have to keep taking the Caplight off to use as a Spotlight.
I solved that problem when I found the StarSpot Spotlight by Star Hunting Lights. Its as Bright as ANY Light out there, has a Tight focused beam, has a rechargeable battery & Smart Charger.....looks like a Flashlight but very Rugged and Small. Burntime is about 2 hours. Just leave your Caplight on your head, pull this Starspot out and shine where you need a Bright Light. The Best Part is its only $60.......Starspot II.
Tim

** Superior Lights

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

Last edited by Triple K Kennel on 03-10-2018 at 04:41 PM

Old Post 03-10-2018 04:37 PM
Triple K Kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Triple K Kennel Click here to Send Triple K Kennel a Private Message Find more posts by Triple K Kennel Add Triple K Kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Lights....

You might want to take a look at the Big Dog Genesis.....
You wont have to sacrifice weight to get a Bright Light......the Genesis is Very Bright and Very Lightweight.
Tim

** Superior Lights

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

Old Post 03-11-2018 02:50 PM
mhardy
UKC Forum Member

Re: Lights....

quote:
Originally posted by Triple K Kennel
You might want to take a look at the Big Dog Genesis.....
You wont have to sacrifice weight to get a Bright Light......the Genesis is Very Bright and Very Lightweight.
Tim

ole TIM has stuck again,,,,you better listen to him!!!!!

Old Post 03-11-2018 03:44 PM
mhardy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mhardy Click here to Send mhardy a Private Message Click Here to Email mhardy Find more posts by mhardy Add mhardy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Lights

Surely you meant Struck and Not Stuck....LOL.....😊
Tim

** Superior Lights

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

Old Post 03-11-2018 03:54 PM
Scott VH
UKC Forum Member

Weight vs Brightness

I ordered a big dog Genesis light about a week and a half ago because of the weight and Brightness but have not seen it yet so the jury is still out on that one. I then ordered and received the Bright Eyes double death light because I have always liked the bright eyes lights. The Double Death is heavier but it is so well set up and balanced that you don't even notice it. The walking light is great and is surely bright enough. I will know about the genesis when I get it but as of now I would not suggest against a heavier light if it is set up right. JMO.

Floyd's Shine On (GrNiteCh Pink Floyd x GrNiteCh Oklahoma Blue Creek)

Gone but not forgotten:
GrNiteCh Mose's Pink Floyd (GrNiteCh Dean's Blue Mose X GrNiteCh B&D's Blue Ruby) Hollis-VH
GrNiteCh GrCh Bullet II's Code Blue Cricket (GrCh GrNiteCh 'PR' Twin Springs Runnin Bullet II X NiteCh Ch JJ's Code Blue Jenny)
Ch GrNiteCh Smokey River Blue Tramp II (GrCh GrNiteCh Smokey River Jean's Blue Tramp X Ch NiteCh Misty River Blue Doll IV)
GrNiteCh GrCh Vining's Hammerhead (Dual Grand Twin Springs Runnin Bullet II X Dual Grand Vining Blue Mollie)
GrNiteCh Ch Uchtmans Blue Logan (GrNiteCh Gene's Blue Newton X ChNiteCh Smiley's Blue Lady)
GrNiteCh GrCh Makin' Music Banjo (GrNiteCh Washburn Valley Blue Drip X GrNiteCh GrCh Razor Ridge Unstable Mable)
GrNiteCh. Uncle Pen (GrNiteCh South Shore Drive Blue Kev X GrNiteCh Frosty's Fancy)

Old Post 03-11-2018 04:50 PM
Scott VH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Scott VH Click here to Send Scott VH a Private Message Click Here to Email Scott VH Find more posts by Scott VH Add Scott VH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Thanks ScottVH, that's the kind of info I'm looking for. Let me know what you think of the Big Dog light. It the reaper and the inferno are at the top of my list right now.

Old Post 03-11-2018 06:18 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Lights....

quote:
Thanks ScottVH, that's the kind of info I'm looking for. Let me know what you think of the Big Dog light. It the reaper and the inferno are at the top of my list right now.

I think Scott will Love the Big Dog Genesis.....
Very lightweight, Very Bright, Good Burntime, Good Walklight.

Its hard to beat that Reaper also......You have 4 levels of Brightness on Everything from Walklight to Main Beam and also on the Color Module. One of the Best Walklights available and this is where the Reaper Excels. It also has the Bright White Light, No Shadows from this....just Very Bright Light.
Tim

** Superior Lights

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

Last edited by Triple K Kennel on 03-13-2018 at 11:37 AM

Old Post 03-13-2018 11:25 AM
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

One more question. Bump.or soft csp? I have always used bump cap and wonder how they compare.

Old Post 03-14-2018 01:30 AM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
One more question. Bump.or soft csp? I have always used bump cap and wonder how they compare.

Tom that always depends on the shape of your head. I would suggest using a bump if that's what you have always done. The cap style light does better on them and the Bump caps are lighter weight than the softcaps with the liners in them.

Home Of:

Old Post 03-14-2018 01:51 AM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Caps......

quote:

The Soft Caps with the Liner are VERY Hot in warm weather.
The Bump Caps aren't much better.
To me the Best and Most Comfortable Bump Cap are the ones that Big Dog & Laser Torch uses. The Ridgeline Bump Cap that most are using is too wide & big feeling, at least on my head.
Tim

** Superior Lights

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

Old Post 03-14-2018 02:10 AM
joey
UKC Forum Member

Tim, the ERB is the one your talking about. We used them for a long time. We swapped because for most people the Ridgeline is more comfortable. I would have liked to of stayed with the ERB but the biggest part of the costumers wanted the ridgeline. Also the ERB you are talking about is bad about letting the screws pull through and the tabs holding the headliner breaks.

Home Of:

Old Post 03-14-2018 02:52 AM
BigDogLights
UKC Forum Member

I have very few requests for the Ridgeline. I find the ERB is great bump cap for my light. It is sleek and low profile, and feels perfectly balanced and comfortable on your head. I have never had a problem with tabs breaking on the liners. I have only replaced a handful in 5 years. I had a few that were broke when I opened the box. But ERB made it right... I use stainless fender washers for the smaller screws on the box. Then I use 10-24x3/8 stainless machine screws and stainless nylon lock nuts for the swivel. I don't know if I could pull them thru with a pickup truck.

(252) 217-5001

Last edited by BigDogLights on 03-14-2018 at 04:57 AM

Old Post 03-14-2018 04:50 AM
BigDogLights is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BigDogLights Click here to Send BigDogLights a Private Message Visit BigDogLights's homepage! Find more posts by BigDogLights Add BigDogLights to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Micro Alpha--Summer Light

Guys
If weight is an issue with you on these Caplights, then you need to Check with Matt at Big Dog about his little Summer Light. I believe he calls it the Micro Alpha. It has a Great Walklight and a Red Color. Plenty Bright enough and mounted on a Soft Cap, No Liner. This little Light only weighs about 11 ounces including the Cap. Perfect for Summer Hunting. I think he is running a Sale on these.....around $160. These are Very Nice Bright little lights. If you want to see pictures send me a text to 765-244-7028 and I will get a picture to you.
Tim

** Superior Lights

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

Old Post 03-14-2018 11:14 AM
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Cap.....

quote:
Originally posted by joey
Tim, the ERB is the one your talking about. We used them for a long time. We swapped because for most people the Ridgeline is more comfortable. I would have liked to of stayed with the ERB but the biggest part of the costumers wanted the ridgeline. Also the ERB you are talking about is bad about letting the screws pull through and the tabs holding the headliner breaks.

Mike, yes thats the Cap. I like it the Best of all the ones I have owned. Its more comfortable to me. I have never had any issues out of them.....
Take care.....
Tim

** Superior Lights

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

Old Post 03-14-2018 11:35 AM
buchcoonhunter
UKC Forum Member

bump caps

I absolutely hate the ridgeline caps. It feels like I'm wearing a football helmet, big and gawky. Those ERB bump caps have served me well, the only issue with I've had is the tabs sliding out some, i have used a few drops of gorilla glue and solved that issue. The last light I purchased is mounted on one and i've not even had to worry about glueing the tabs on it , been using it since Grand American.

Old Post 03-14-2018 03:38 PM
buchcoonhunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for buchcoonhunter Click here to Send buchcoonhunter a Private Message Click Here to Email buchcoonhunter Find more posts by buchcoonhunter Add buchcoonhunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
4play
UKC Forum Member

Hmmm

All this 'best,brightest' talk on lights?
Still Nobody has produced a TRUE Warm White light,like the 5100 {wheat light bm30 bulb}
All I've seen is weird Yellow tint,that doesn't do anything for me.

Jmo, My 'Old' Laser Torch pro w/color,frosted pop cover is hard to beat for all around performance from what I've seen.
Until a actual warm color is made I'm staying with it.
Will your finds coon just fine .....if there there............

Nitech Stylish Clover Shark Jill - RIP 'Ole Girl
{Great White Shark x Brush Creek Patch}

Old Post 03-14-2018 03:59 PM
4play is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 4play Click here to Send 4play a Private Message Click Here to Email 4play Find more posts by 4play Add 4play to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Re: Hmmm

quote:
Originally posted by 4play
All this 'best,brightest' talk on lights?
Still Nobody has produced a TRUE Warm White light,like the 5100 {wheat light bm30 bulb}
All I've seen is weird Yellow tint,that doesn't do anything for me.

Jmo, My 'Old' Laser Torch pro w/color,frosted pop cover is hard to beat for all around performance from what I've seen.
Until a actual warm color is made I'm staying with it.
Will your finds coon just fine .....if there there............

I guess if you want a "TRUE" 5100 Color you will have to get an Original 5100 Head........thats the only way you will get "True"
Tim

** Superior Lights

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

Old Post 03-14-2018 07:19 PM
Texcooner
UKC Forum Member

I can't stand to wear a hard hat or a soft cap with a liner. Can you get any of these lights with just a regular soft cap without the liner? I have a laser torch pro with a soft cap without the liner and it works just fine . Just wanting something brighter . Was thinking about getting the Sunspot Inferno . Any thoughts on this light ? Thanks

Old Post 03-14-2018 08:10 PM
Texcooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Texcooner Click here to Send Texcooner a Private Message Click Here to Email Texcooner Find more posts by Texcooner Add Texcooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
4play
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Hmmm

quote:
Originally posted by Triple K Kennel
I guess if you want a "TRUE" 5100 Color you will have to get an Original 5100 Head........thats the only way you will get "True"
Tim

My point is they advertise it as warm white,but its not.
Yellow is not warm white.

Nitech Stylish Clover Shark Jill - RIP 'Ole Girl
{Great White Shark x Brush Creek Patch}

Old Post 03-14-2018 08:13 PM
4play is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 4play Click here to Send 4play a Private Message Click Here to Email 4play Find more posts by 4play Add 4play to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Hmmm

quote:
Originally posted by 4play
My point is they advertise it as warm white,but its not.
Yellow is not warm white.

I knew thats your thought, and I agree. The Newer Lights advertise this as a 5100 Color.....But its not even close.
Tim

** Superior Lights

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

Old Post 03-14-2018 08:53 PM
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Caps.....

quote:
Originally posted by Texcooner
I can't stand to wear a hard hat or a soft cap with a liner. Can you get any of these lights with just a regular soft cap without the liner? I have a laser torch pro with a soft cap without the liner and it works just fine . Just wanting something brighter . Was thinking about getting the Sunspot Inferno . Any thoughts on this light ? Thanks

I think just about any Light Builder will mount you one on a soft cap without liner. I dont think that would be very comfortable....most lights are too heavy for that.
A few of the lighter ones would be ok.
Tim

** Superior Lights

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

Old Post 03-14-2018 09:15 PM