UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Light brightness vs weight
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Light brightness vs weight

Ok I think I am ready to purchase a new light. I want something with adequate light, great walking light and lightweight/balance. So would you purchase the brighter light with heavier weight or less brightness with lightweight. I know this horse has been ridden to death but I really want your opinion of brightness vs weight. Thanks.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-05-2018 11:40 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

One thing everyone over looks is no matter how bright, heavy or light weight one is if its not balanced its uncomfortable. If it constantly ridding down in your face you will not like it. You should be able to stick one finger in the middle of the light and it set pretty balanced. If it doesn't it will eventually get old wearing it. Especially in the summer when you are sweating and aggravated to begin with. You can get a bright light that is not heavy and balanced well but you will have to look at them and make your own mind up on what you like. You will here this one is this or that but remember its that way to them That doesn't mean you will have the same opinion. Also there are a few on here steering people to certain lights and getting kick backs from the manufacturer. So their opinions change like a Washington politician according to who gives them the best deal.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 03-06-2018 01:11 AM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Kohree 8000 lumens cap light 5 position switch red and green $85 on eBay shines just as bright as my buddy's high dollar lights finds just as many coons.

Tar

Old Post 03-06-2018 01:33 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sam Davis
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Kohree 8000 lumens cap light 5 position switch red and green $85 on eBay shines just as bright as my buddy's high dollar lights finds just as many coons.

Tar

8,000 lumens I seriously doubt.

WWW.NITEHUNTERS.COM
731-632-0489
rats@nitehunters.com

Old Post 03-06-2018 01:37 AM
Sam Davis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sam Davis Click here to Send Sam Davis a Private Message Click Here to Email Sam Davis Visit Sam Davis's homepage! Find more posts by Sam Davis Add Sam Davis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

For $85 try it I was impressed same head I seen on some of the big boys lights !! I mean how bright is too bright anyways we ain't cooking tamales lol.

Tar

Old Post 03-06-2018 01:42 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Sam Davis
8,000 lumens I seriously doubt.

Oh come on Sam, you know the Chinese dont lie!

Home Of:

Old Post 03-06-2018 01:48 AM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sam Davis
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by joey
Oh come on Sam, you know the Chinese dont lie!

You know as well as I. 8,000 lumens, in most cases, would need a very large host - and maybe a couple fans to keep it cool.

WWW.NITEHUNTERS.COM
731-632-0489
rats@nitehunters.com

Old Post 03-06-2018 01:52 AM
Sam Davis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sam Davis Click here to Send Sam Davis a Private Message Click Here to Email Sam Davis Visit Sam Davis's homepage! Find more posts by Sam Davis Add Sam Davis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

What it says on the box look it up I got one was just experimenting going to buy one to give at our hunt and I like it comes with a camouflage hat I put mine on a bump cap.

Tar

Old Post 03-06-2018 01:58 AM
Sam Davis
UKC Forum Member

quote:
What it says on the box look it up I got one was just experimenting going to buy one to give at our hunt and I like it comes with a camouflage hat I put mine on a bump cap.

Tar

Maybe 80,000 lux I would believe, but not lumens. Lot of differences- maybe the Chinese don’t know the difference.

WWW.NITEHUNTERS.COM
731-632-0489
rats@nitehunters.com

Old Post 03-06-2018 02:00 AM
joey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Sam Davis
You know as well as I. 8,000 lumens, in most cases, would need a very large host - and maybe a couple fans to keep it cool.

I dont think a couple of fans would do it. Probably need a water cooling system and a 48 volt power supply.

We know what it says Tar but Sam and the rest of us have been dealing with this for a long time. The light you are talking about is capable of about 1000 lumen run at max current. Its being run at about 1/2 that and is probably more like 4 to 500 lumens. Maybe.

Home Of:

Old Post 03-06-2018 02:04 AM
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

I'm with Tar on them Chinese lights. Got one for daughter in law last fall. Her head gets a little warm but she usually only goes in the cool months. And with the light on hi, holding the light pointing to the stars it makes a nice coffee warmer.

Old Post 03-06-2018 02:06 AM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Your right it is lux but my buddy has a sunspot and there ain't a whole lot of difference in the brightness like I said are we finding coons or cooking tamales? I find coons with my wheat light.

Like everybody else I will take a light bribe lol.

Tar

Old Post 03-06-2018 02:07 AM
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Preacher Tom I think to much marketing is being done about weight and we are overlooking where the weight is coming from and why another ounce or two isn't a bad thing. If weight on your head is an actual concern. All these lights by most builders come in a battery pack and you can carry the head over your shoulder or on a chest strap.

First like Joey said. Balance is very important.

Second is what your not hearing about weight is this.
The LED in one light weighs about the same as the led in the next light. The electronics in one light weighs about the same as the electronics in another light. Everyone is using about the same bump cap, so they all weigh the same. The cord is about the same weight on every light. There is some difference in the design of the head from one light to another but there isn't more than a couple ounce of difference. So what is left. The battery and battery box. Some light builders have chose to go down to one battery in the battery box. That light has very little burn time. You will never see me selling a light with one battery in it. Why because I use what I sell. By the time I put on my hunting gear use my light to find everything. Load the dogs and unlock the gates in the hunting club. I have very little light left to hunt with.

I will also let you guys do the math on weight. Light builder builds a light. He advertises the light as weighing X then because the competition has something better he adds another module to the head. Now I know that module on the side of the head doesn't weigh much but still advertises as weighing the same X. Now he adds another one and another one and then you got six of them up there. The light still weights X. My math says it has to weigh more that X and the consumer is being fooled.

Tar, I agree with you on one thing. Some of the so called experts on here are experts because of the light they were given. Had perhaps the top self proclaimed expert on here call wanting a light. This is while I was reading his post everyday about light x or light y being the best. After responding to him by PM. He said. I don't think you want to sell me a light. I will sell anyone a light. I don't want to give one away for a bunch of marketing nonsense. Tar you know you called me about a light and I sent you somewhere else looking for one. I am very proud of the Boss Lights, Kevin builds. I am not very proud that to market them at the level others choose to market their lights. I would have to use false statements and tell half truths about the lights. Over the past few months we have made several improvements to the lights and never once pumped it up as the newest and greatest.

Tar one thing about the e-Bay LED light. I remember one of the first LED lights I saw and it was the orange box 4200 light from china. I sold hundreds of these lights and they were bright for the time period. Thing is your light will appear to be bright and it is. The light is fine for shining around your feet but it will blow apart shining at any distance.

Guys you want opinions on lights. Don't be fooled by those given free or discounted lights to pump them up on here and other social media pages.
Here are the people you need to call and ask about lights as they will give you straight facts.
Joey--I have known Joey for a few years now. Builds a quality light and tells you like it is about his lights.
Sam Davis--Been around for years. Probably has had more to do with the lights coonhunters have used for 40 years than anyone around. I don't think many that ever had a light that used a bulb, didn't have light that some part was deigned or improved by Sam.
Kevin Rainwater--I have a lot of respect for Kevin and his knowledge in the field of electronics. More importantly my highest level of respect for Kevin is how he treats other people. He has the same view on customer service as I do.

Old Post 03-06-2018 12:22 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Bruce I didn't expect it but it shines these tall trees next time me and Corey go I will have him video it that being said the red and green could stand to be brighter I really bought it for a give away at the club and for a fishing light I still keep reaching down on my belt for the switch lol. I been useing it everytime I go and for the money it's a good little light it's way , way brighter that a wheat light and I found 1000's of coons with those and it's got a 2 year guarentee no way it compares to yalls lights tho.

Tar

Old Post 03-06-2018 12:39 PM
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Bruce I didn't expect it but it shines these tall trees next time me and Corey go I will have him video it that being said the red and green could stand to be brighter I really bought it for a give away at the club and for a fishing light I still keep reaching down on my belt for the switch lol. I been useing it everytime I go and for the money it's a good little light it's way , way brighter that a wheat light and I found 1000's of coons with those and it's got a 2 year guarentee no way it compares to yalls lights tho.

Tar

And you won't find the Chinese helping and donating to the youth hunts and such. Buy from the men and wemen in the sport that help support it

Old Post 03-06-2018 12:46 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Curtis your right about that. But a lot of light builders get their parts from China and put it together here and sell it to you made in America.

Tar

Old Post 03-06-2018 12:54 PM
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Lights......

Tom Wood,

These days you have so many options on Lights. It's Tough to decide on which one, I know.....That's why I have BOUGHT so many different Lights over the years. Never had one given to me.
Right now, I have at least a half dozen Lights in my garage, Caplights & Beltlights. From the Heaviest to the Lightest.....from the Brightest to the So So Bright.

Do I Self Proclaim to be an Expert ?........Absolutely Not.
Do I know what a Good Light is ?.......Absolutely, because of me buying & trying so many different ones. I have wasted my hard earned money a many a time on lights that leave you in the dark for various reasons. Light "Builders" that order almost the whole light from China and put their name on it and then Poof.....they are No Longer in Business.

Don't be fooled by Selling Tactics, Go check these Lights out in the Woods and at Hunts. I have had at least 3 dozen guys call or text me about Light recommendations and after talking with them I can usually tell them what might work for them. I don't think I have had 1 guy tell me that my recommendation wasn't exactly what they were looking for. It hasn't been just one certain light company either, there are about 4 of them that I trust & use.
Good luck on your choice & please let us know what light you decide on and more importantly how YOU like it.
Tim

Quality, Dependable Coon Lights--Built by a Coonhunter for Coonhunters
==================================
** Superior Lights

** Sunspot Hunting Lights

** Zepp's--Quality Products

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

** They Twist it until they start believing it themselves**

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Competition Coonhunters and Politicians
** Win anyway you have to & tell everyone what they want to hear **

Old Post 03-06-2018 02:31 PM
Triple K Kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Triple K Kennel Click here to Send Triple K Kennel a Private Message Find more posts by Triple K Kennel Add Triple K Kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Thanks

Guys Thanks for the input even though I'm not sure I'm any closer to knowing what to buy. It's hard for me to compare as I don't make the big hunts where vendors are set up and I hunt mostly by myself so don't have a buddy's light to compare. I think I have been given some good info, now we'll see if I can put it to good use, lol.

Old Post 03-06-2018 02:45 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by joey
......... getting kick backs from the manufacturer.......

Oh my goodness, How can I go about getting one of those kickbacks? Maybe there should be a full disclosure policy on the interweb. I need a new light. Mine is 2 yrs old now. It must be way out of date since they come out with a new model every 6 months.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 03-06-2018 at 03:37 PM

Old Post 03-06-2018 03:35 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John B.Dalton
UKC Forum Member

Brother Richard..They give away a free light at most major events and some redbone events..You don't have to post a call me number and talk lights just get one of the red dog s fine tuned ..hope all is well my friend !!

Old Post 03-06-2018 04:24 PM
John B.Dalton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John B.Dalton Click here to Send John B.Dalton a Private Message Visit John B.Dalton's homepage! Find more posts by John B.Dalton Add John B.Dalton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

It has been 2 yrs. Do they expect me to win a big hunt every 6 months? These new LED lights last for 5 or 6 yrs.

Old Post 03-06-2018 04:40 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sonny Phipps
UKC Forum Member

Look at the big dog light. It is very light weight and plenty bright. It has a slight yellow cast to the spot side and helps me not see shadows like some of the brighter ones do. The genises model is the newest one and in my opion is the nicer light of all of the big dogs.

Old Post 03-06-2018 04:53 PM
Sonny Phipps is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sonny Phipps Click here to Send Sonny Phipps a Private Message Click Here to Email Sonny Phipps Find more posts by Sonny Phipps Add Sonny Phipps to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Genesis..........

quote:
Originally posted by Sonny Phipps
Look at the big dog light. It is very light weight and plenty bright. It has a slight yellow cast to the spot side and helps me not see shadows like some of the brighter ones do. The genises model is the newest one and in my opion is the nicer light of all of the big dogs.

I agree with this Statement......
The Genesis is a Very Nice Light, Very Bright, Very Lightweight.
The Burntime is Very Good as well.
You also have to Pay for it, he wont give one Free......I tried.
😆😏😉😢

Quality, Dependable Coon Lights--Built by a Coonhunter for Coonhunters
==================================
** Superior Lights

** Sunspot Hunting Lights

** Zepp's--Quality Products

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

** They Twist it until they start believing it themselves**

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Competition Coonhunters and Politicians
** Win anyway you have to & tell everyone what they want to hear **

Last edited by Triple K Kennel on 03-06-2018 at 08:44 PM

Old Post 03-06-2018 08:31 PM
Triple K Kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Triple K Kennel Click here to Send Triple K Kennel a Private Message Find more posts by Triple K Kennel Add Triple K Kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DocAcumen
UKC Forum Member

?

Last edited by DocAcumen on 03-08-2018 at 01:36 AM

Old Post 03-06-2018 10:30 PM
DocAcumen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DocAcumen Click here to Send DocAcumen a Private Message Find more posts by DocAcumen Add DocAcumen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

I might not be following you but everyone I have ever seen, no matter their posture they carried there head level. If you didn't you would have some real problems walking and they probably are not spending much time in the woods..

Home Of:

Old Post 03-07-2018 12:54 AM