UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Possum Conundrum
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
N Williams
UKC Forum Member

Re: Cory and NWilliams

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
It's easy to be "friendly" typing on a screen, the real question is, is he that "friendly" in person? I have found most guys with an attitude aren't near so tough in person. JS. Lol. Dave

I agree Dave. The only think I like about him is atleast he don't hide behind a fictitious name. I always try to find good in people.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-23-2018 04:04 AM
N Williams is offline Click Here to See the Profile for N Williams Click here to Send N Williams a Private Message Find more posts by N Williams Add N Williams to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

NWilliams

So it seems on the surface, but these days one really doesn't know for sure! People have a way of hiding their true identity and location on a computer. The comment made about not liking the man in person and would not like him on this board, even though they live [supposedly ] hundreds of miles apart, makes me wonder if name and location are correct. Not that I really care. Lol. Dave

Old Post 04-23-2018 04:19 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
N Williams
UKC Forum Member

Re: NWilliams

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
So it seems on the surface, but these days one really doesn't know for sure! People have a way of hiding their true identity and location on a computer. The comment made about not liking the man in person and would not like him on this board, even though they live [supposedly ] hundreds of miles apart, makes me wonder if name and location are correct. Not that I really care. Lol. Dave

Ya. I saw the same thing.

Old Post 04-23-2018 04:23 AM
N Williams is offline Click Here to See the Profile for N Williams Click here to Send N Williams a Private Message Find more posts by N Williams Add N Williams to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KevinP
Banned

No. He isn't friendly, I've met him a couple times. He calls it like he see' s it, and does not care if you or me like it.

Old Post 04-23-2018 05:30 AM
KevinP is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KevinP Click here to Send KevinP a Private Message Find more posts by KevinP Add KevinP to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Alan

You talk the talk, do you walk the walk? Just to set things straight, I could care less how you think or what you you have to say! Dave

Old Post 04-23-2018 06:15 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
David Richardson
UKC Forum Member

Cory, back to the opossum issue. I know a guy that had the same issue that you got and he tried everything. He finally loaded his dog in his dog box along with 2 opossums and with the Alpha turned up on the high setting and just rode around for a while stimulating the dog until battery ran down on the collar and I don't think he has had any more opossum problems.

NITECH CH 'PR' MILL CREEK BO-R.I.P.
NITECH CH 'PR' HOUSE'S SCREAMIN NELL

Old Post 04-23-2018 01:56 PM
David Richardson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for David Richardson Click here to Send David Richardson a Private Message Find more posts by David Richardson Add David Richardson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Terry Dye
UKC Forum Member

Wow, somebody got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning !!!!

Old Post 04-23-2018 01:56 PM
Terry Dye is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Terry Dye Click here to Send Terry Dye a Private Message Click Here to Email Terry Dye Find more posts by Terry Dye Add Terry Dye to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

i had a female that was real bad and i tried everything you did without it working then i got some possum breaking scent and used it and well i think it worked. she didn't do anymore possum or atleast not enough to speak of after that. or maybe she just got tired of um who no's.

Old Post 04-23-2018 02:10 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

l would just use tone of voice and keep recasting her on .like joey said she will probably quit them on her own . i have got to rough on them and all it did was make them level trees when they saw me coming . i would say it is more her competitive nature than a love of possums that is the trigger . does she tree more in company ? i will p.m. what my uncle use to do as a last measure on a bad possum dog . swore by it. lol

Old Post 04-23-2018 02:19 PM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

Nope it ain't Tar. He's not that rude and crude. Maybe we can trade him in and get Tar back. Funny part is I used to know a feller with the same name and attitude. Dead now. They had to go to three beer joints and two crack houses to get pall bearers for him.

Old Post 04-23-2018 02:29 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbpro56
UKC Forum Member

I think I would do what another post said on here. Just give her a new roommate, that she could spend most of her time with. I've heard of guys keeping a billy goat next to his kennel, to keep his dogs from messing with deer. Might be worth the effort to see if it might help.

Bruce Profitt

Old Post 04-23-2018 02:57 PM
dbpro56 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbpro56 Click here to Send dbpro56 a Private Message Click Here to Email dbpro56 Find more posts by dbpro56 Add dbpro56 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ItsOlMander
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by David Richardson
Cory, back to the opossum issue. I know a guy that had the same issue that you got and he tried everything. He finally loaded his dog in his dog box along with 2 opossums and with the Alpha turned up on the high setting and just rode around for a while stimulating the dog until battery ran down on the collar and I don't think he has had any more opossum problems.

although it seems harsh i've seen this method work when everything else wouldn't.

- In Loving Memory of -
DEEP SPRINGS BLACK MAX
&
LEVIS SOUTHERN BLUE DOC

Old Post 04-23-2018 03:43 PM
ItsOlMander is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ItsOlMander Click here to Send ItsOlMander a Private Message Find more posts by ItsOlMander Add ItsOlMander to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bryan K Webb
UKC Forum Member

I also had a dog that was an absolute nightmare when it comes to messing with possums.. I also tried about everything you can imagine to break him. The only thing that seemed to break him for me was live trapping one and letting him live with it for an extended period of time.. Had a friend back in the late 80s had a very nice hound that took up running foxes and would keep you out all night rounding him up.. He found where some foxes were raised and he trapped some pups and raised them in the pen with this dog and it broke him for the most part.. I do believe the fox population expanded rapidly around his house afterwards, but it was worth it at the time.. LOL

Old Post 04-23-2018 04:25 PM
Bryan K Webb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bryan K Webb Click here to Send Bryan K Webb a Private Message Click Here to Email Bryan K Webb Find more posts by Bryan K Webb Add Bryan K Webb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Marcus McDaniel
UKC Forum Member

1st of all I am hurt that you haven't called me about this problem Cory. Lol. Before you even THINK about selling her send her to me. SERIOUSLY. I would love to give it a shot. She is to smart of a dog to give up on her. I went threw the SAME thing with Rex but he went from possums right to dillers ( didn't know if he was going to survive that). I spent 4 months on possums an over 7 months on the other before I broke him. Call me when you read this or get some time an will see what we come up with.

Old Post 04-23-2018 07:00 PM
Marcus McDaniel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Marcus McDaniel Click here to Send Marcus McDaniel a Private Message Click Here to Email Marcus McDaniel Find more posts by Marcus McDaniel Add Marcus McDaniel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

If you will call me I can tell you how to break her, I’m currently working on 2 now, no shocking, no beating or no possum involved.
Mr Tim 828-302-5480.

GrNtCh Big Money
GrNtCh North Mt Mort
T&R’s Homemade Trouble

GrNtChGrCh Homemade Josie.
Homemade Tank.
GrNtCh Hardwood Bean (SEMEN)
GrNtCh Abbotts Bawling Rebel (SEMEN)
GrNtChGrCh Tj's Stylish Lipper (SEMEN)
GrNtCh Nite Life Pay Dirt (SEMEN)
GrNtCh PKC Ch Poison Smoke (SEMEN)

HomeMade Kennels
Newton N.C

2010 SETWA BREEDER OF THE YEAR!!
(828) 302-5480

Old Post 04-23-2018 07:08 PM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
stringpopper
UKC Forum Member

There is a guy that comes to all of our hunts that was having a bad problem like this. He said he had tried about everything and an old timer told him to carry a small bottle of ammonia with him. Tied the dog back, knocked the possum out, gave it a good bath in the ammonia then turned the dog loose. He said the dog ran in and grabbed the possum then went to gagging and puking and eyes started watering and flopping around trying to get his breath. The last I had heard, and that was about a year ago, that was the last possum that dog treed. This guys spends more time in the coon woods than anyone else I know and allways has a good English dog or two or three in his kennel.

Old Post 04-23-2018 07:58 PM
stringpopper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for stringpopper Click here to Send stringpopper a Private Message Click Here to Email stringpopper Find more posts by stringpopper Add stringpopper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by stringpopper
There is a guy that comes to all of our hunts that was having a bad problem like this. He said he had tried about everything and an old timer told him to carry a small bottle of ammonia with him. Tied the dog back, knocked the possum out, gave it a good bath in the ammonia then turned the dog loose. He said the dog ran in and grabbed the possum then went to gagging and puking and eyes started watering and flopping around trying to get his breath. The last I had heard, and that was about a year ago, that was the last possum that dog treed. This guys spends more time in the coon woods than anyone else I know and allways has a good English dog or two or three in his kennel.

I have seen that work for a couple of them. Others just stopped grabbing them but kept treeing them. Depends a lot on the dog. My Betty female that's in my signature was pretty bad when she was young. I had her where she was scared to death of them when they hit the ground. ( I've learned a lot sense then). I shook one out of a bush one night to whoop her and she choked herself out on the lead trying to get away from it. Never treed another one after that night.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 04-23-2018 10:28 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by joey
I have seen that work for a couple of them. Others just stopped grabbing them but kept treeing them. Depends a lot on the dog. My Betty female that's in my signature was pretty bad when she was young. I had her where she was scared to death of them when they hit the ground. ( I've learned a lot sense then). I shook one out of a bush one night to whoop her and she choked herself out on the lead trying to get away from it. Never treed another one after that night.

This gyp is the same way. Will swing wide around one if you try to set her up on it. Won't take ahold while you're watching. May pass up a dog chewing one only to go a mile deep and tree her own. Might stay all night, might leave when you get close. But she trees so many coons with so much class that it's hard to write her off...

Old Post 04-24-2018 02:33 AM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Cory

Hope you get her broke, if not I am seriously interested as stated, keep me in mind. Dave

Old Post 04-24-2018 04:23 AM
blueticker
UKC Forum Member

I wouldn't get one out to her again. Hunt her with a possum dog and a solid broke coon dog. If the solid broke dog checks her and leaves either tone her off the tree or shock her. Going to the tree may be enough reward for her to keep treeing them. I have taken a double snap and snapped live possums to the dog while hunting and used electricity as a negative stimulus. May as well quit what you've been doing, it hasn't worked. Both these training practices have worked for me on hard to break hounds.

The Hounds I Enjoyed Hunting:
Dual Gr Natural Smokey River Rebel, A buddy of mine
Gr. Nt Natural Blue Echo ( Gr Nt Quail Ck Jimmy X Nt Ch Natural Blue Bell)
Gr Nt Smokey River Chief's Joe (JBS Chief X Gr Nt Jeans Ruby)
Gr. Nt. Ch. Natural Smokey River Lucy (Chief's Joe X Muggins)
And Many More

Old Post 04-24-2018 04:55 AM
blueticker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blueticker Click here to Send blueticker a Private Message Find more posts by blueticker Add blueticker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote